Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Another Hanger 9 J-3 Cub Question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Another Hanger 9 J-3 Cub Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:16 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Hanger 9 J-3 Cub Question

Hello all, it's been a month since I last wrote.

I'll be getting my Cub in a few weeks along with this baby. http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200463814

My question is, I'm going to buy a Pilot Bust for the Hanger 9 J-3, what Scale is my Cub, or what size pilot would fit well in this bird? I was also planning on changing the two plastic Clevis's over to the metal ones, so it will make it easier to take the Horizontal Stabilizers off when I put my plane in the car.

My Second question, I know with most ARF planes it's good to run a Iron with a Sock over the covering to make sure everything is tacked down properly on the Balsa, at what temperature should my Iron be set at so I won't risk damaging anything? I'm new working with Mono or Ultra. Believe me when I say, I have all the Covering Video's on my Hard Drive, and they all forgot to say what tempature there Irons were set at.

So far, this is all I have to do I'm assuming...

#1. Check for any loose screws or bolts.

#2. Take the Gas tank apart to make sure it's clean, and making sure that everything is tight.

#3. Cut two pieces of 1/8"Ply, and AP the two thin pieces right over the landing gear groves from the inside for structual support over the one piece landing gear.

#4.Take the Aileron Servos's out and check to see how well they're glued to the blocks on the cover, if the AP is real thin, or if it snaps off, re-AP Glue and use spare Servo Screws to keep the blocks in place through the covers.

#5. Add a Fueler Dot and a T fitting for the exhaust vent/ Fuel Line, and add extra fuel line wih Plug on the bottom of the Cowel, so I don't have to take the Coweling off everytime I want to fill the tank... and I'll be able to vent the tank to fill her up without problems, I heard you can't reach the nipple to release the the line attached to the muffler with the Cowel on.

#6. Add a charge plug/switch so I can just hook up the plane to charge my batteries for 14 hours easier.

I hope I didn't loose anyone, I've only been flying for two years and I still call things " Thingy" and "Du Hicky." All the numbered things to do is a must do with this PNP... from what some of you have stated in the past.

I'm not sure, but I think Hanger 9 over all is one of the best for ARF kits on the market, I guess only a few get out the factory that have a couple of issues. I don't know... I'm learning all about this hobby as much as I can.

If I left anything out besides Control throws, Vertical and Horizontal Balance, along with putting in my equipment, Putting on a 11x6 wooden prop instead of the 10x6, ( Because I want my club to fly like the real one along with the lower RPMs.)

Is there anything else anyone can think of, that I missed on what I must do to have safe flights with my Hanger 9 J-3 without risk of structural problems or many Dead Stick Landings?

Last Question. I read one review that stated that his Carburetor loosened in flight with his Hanger 9 Piper J-3 Cub, and was twisting around in the Cowel. I guess something called a "Lock Pin" Broke? On the O.S. 40 we have two screws locking the Carburetor in place on the body. Has any of you had this problem, and should I remove the engine and Blue Lock-tite all the screws in place, or was it what happened to that gentleman a rare thing?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm about to spend over $1,000 Bucks, and I want to keep my planes around for another 15 to 20 years without too many hassels... I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Anyone know where I could purchase a exhaust Reflecter? I want to minimize the exhaust mess on my plane.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Another Hanger 9 J-3 Cub Question

WOW! lot's of questions...

My question is, I'm going to buy a Pilot Bust for the Hanger 9 J-3, what Scale is my Cub, or what size pilot would fit well in this bird? I was also planning on changing the two plastic Clevis's over to the metal ones, so it will make it easier to take the Horizontal Stabilizers off when I put my plane in the car.
To add a pilot your going to have to add a deck of balsa in the cabin, I used 1/8 balsa cut to size, painted black and a few small screws to hold it in place and allow acess to the radio gear/tank. I used the Slimline female pilot... I can't find her on the web site... she's blonde, VERY well endowed wearing a pink halter top...turn heads at the field.

My Second question, I know with most ARF planes it's good to run a Iron with a Sock over the covering to make sure everything is tacked down properly on the Balsa, at what temperature should my Iron be set at so I won't risk damaging anything? I'm new working with Mono or Ultra. Believe me when I say, I have all the Covering Video's on my Hard Drive, and they all forgot to say what tempature there Irons were set at.
I really don't know what temp my iron shrinks at... never checked it with an IR temp gun. I turn up the heat until it shrinks the way I want... with a sock on as long as you keep moving you won't burn through... be extra careful around the seems however... they tend to have small over laps and can pull away if your to hot or stay in one spot to long.

So far, this is all I have to do I'm assuming...

#1. Check for any loose screws or bolts.

#2. Take the Gas tank apart to make sure it's clean, and making sure that everything is tight.

#3. Cut two pieces of 1/8"Ply, and AP the two thin pieces right over the landing gear groves from the inside for structual support over the one piece landing gear.

#4.Take the Aileron Servos's out and check to see how well they're glued to the blocks on the cover, if the AP is real thin, or if it snaps off, re-AP Glue and use spare Servo Screws to keep the blocks in place through the covers.

#5. Add a Fueler Dot and a T fitting for the exhaust vent/ Fuel Line, and add extra fuel line wih Plug on the bottom of the Cowel, so I don't have to take the Coweling off everytime I want to fill the tank... and I'll be able to vent the tank to fill her up without problems, I heard you can't reach the nipple to release the the line attached to the muffler with the Cowel on.

#6. Add a charge plug/switch so I can just hook up the plane to charge my batteries for 14 hours easier.

All this sounds good... I did the gear plate on mine with 2 pieces of 1/8 Aircraft ply because mine had already broken... I think one piece would be fine since your's will be intact... 2 won't hurt though.

Last Question. I read one review that stated that his Carburetor loosened in flight with his Hanger 9 Piper J-3 Cub, and was twisting around in the Cowel. I guess something called a "Lock Pin" Broke? On the O.S. 40 we have two screws locking the Carburetor in place on the body. Has any of you had this problem, and should I remove the engine and Blue Lock-tite all the screws in place, or was it what happened to that gentleman a rare thing?
EVERY evolution engine I've helped others with had a problem loosening the spring clip that holds the High speed needle valve setting in place... in-flight self adjusting is BAD... what I had them do is remove the stupid blue ring, push in or pull out the lock pin(either way seems to work) and rebend the spring clip so it firmly holds the needle valve in place... once done the engines ran fine.

Anyone know where I could purchase a exhaust Reflecter? I want to minimize the exhaust mess on my plane.
Most any LHS should have them... I use the Dubro brand myself.

John
Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

My question is, I'm going to buy a Pilot Bust for the Hanger 9 J-3, what Scale is my Cub,

the H-9 PNP Cub is aprrox. 1/5 scale. Great flying plane; I've got the older version, didn't have to do anything with sealing the cover, and after two seasons of flying on water, still tight and no leaks. The DuBro deflector is as good as any, but you'll still have cleanup to do, the airstream just spreads the exhaust too much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29751.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	545064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71631.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	545065  
Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

So is it safe to assume that the newer Hanger 9 J-3 Cubs have had a few problems corrected with the covering issue?

I read in one of the reviews that on the top part of the wing, the covering came apart in flight. The owner had to give it total opposite aileron, just to keep it steady long enough too get it to the runway. He later cleaned it up and ran the Iron over it, and it is holding to this day. ( Gosh, I love a happy ending. )

That's why I mentioned about running the Iron over the whole thing just to be safe.

I'm surprised the company hasn't fixed that problem with the evolution engine. I'll look at the diagram tonight and see what your talking about. I'd hate to have my engine stuck at full throttle, that would make my knees shake waiting for the inevitable "Dead Stick" when my Glow runs out. Yea, talk about 10 minutes of mental torture.

I figured on getting the DuBro deflector, I'm assuming the deflector will eliminate some of the mess right? Do you guys think it will make much of a difference?

Sorry about all those questions. I'm just wanting to be a little more understanding of the problems the Hanger 9 J-3 Cub has... so I can correct everything before flying.

It would really stink if I drove 17 miles to my club on a nice day, make the plane flyable in 15-20 minutes at the field. Get it off the ground only to have problems, and if I get it back safely, I would have to drive all the way home to fix it properly.

I also heard the wheel covers like to fall off after a few flights... anyone have that problem? And if so, how did you people fix it? Other than putting floats on it. lol

I thank you for your answers, I figure I'll find a 1/6 Scale Bust... and sand the bottom down if I need to. I'd get the female blonde with the big ( . )( . ). But I think my wife would give me a hard time if I looked at it too much. I also ordered the Hanger 9 Detailed Instrument Panel, I'm wondering if any of you have it in your Cub? And did you have to order a shorter Glow Tank to put it in?

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You always this anal? Nothing personal, and it is a good idea to inspect your bird closely both when you first get it, as well as before and after flying. I haven't heard of these problems with the PNP Cub. There are three of them in my club, and they all look and fly great. H-9 seems to be one of the better ARF'ers around, and I've been impressed with their quality compared to other mfg's. I'm especially impressed by the wing struts on the new version compared to the one I have.

Have you thought of getting the ARF instead of the RTF and putting your own engine, etc in it? If you're worried about the Evo engine, that is. Stick a .56-.72 Saito in it, the four stroke is made for a Cub, and vice versa.

Just inspect all the seams when you get it, don't heat or iron anything unless there's something loose. Sometimes you just buy trouble fixing something that isn't broke. Definitely check the engine for loose nuts, screws, etc., I do it on everything I buy as a matter of course. Take care assembling the plane, and run it on the ground several times, taxiing and holding it vertical, tuning it for best running and breaking it in properly, etc. Sometimes no matter how well you prepare, you're gonna have an inflight surprise, that's part of flying, so don't get too wound up about it happening. If you do a good preflight, and have the engine reasonably tuned, you've got as good a chance as any of not having a problem. Even if you do have a deadstick, if you have any kind of altitude, the thing glides forever. Mine weighs over 11 pounds with the floats, and with power off, it will glide a long way. There's a lot of wing on this plane, and seems to have a great airfoil design. Enjoy.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
mobyal

Maidened mine (J-3 PNP) today. Got out to the field and after a little fooling w/ the engine, setting the idle, needle etc, taxied out to the runway to check the ground handling. Had to fiddle w/ needle 'cause I had to take it out to get the cowl off to cut it out so I could get to the fuel and pressure lines!
Ground handling was good, and I got it up on the gear, tail up, and it clearly wanted to fly, so I decided to go ahead. Great flying airplane. Took about 4 passes to land it the first time because it just does not want to come down. After I got it back to the pits a friend walked over and congratulated me on a great taxi test!
Be sure your idle is nice and low, otherwise you'll be up there for a while! LOL. Flew 4 times, each about 15-18 mins and probably shot 20 or so landings. Used no more than 1/2 tank on any of the flights. I don't think I ever went above half throttle, and the airplane flies at about 5 or 6 clicks off idle, no more than 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, so no wonder it doesn't use any fuel. Like any Cub, use the rudder! Use the rudder! Really pretty turning from base to final, kick in the rudder and watch it line itself up w/ the runway. Settles in just great either two or three points. But keep flying it 'til it stops.
I'm really looking forward to getting to know this one! Can't wait to get out again!
Al
Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

You always this anal?
Sorry. I just want it to be perfect, I used to fly the full size one... and this smaller one is going to be my baby. I'm going to buy the PNP version, I doubt it will be hard getting the Blue ring off the High Speed Valve, but I'm only guessing at that. Bending the spring will be easy once I get it off the engine.

I guess I'm more Anal about things because I bought a CMP last summer, and I didn't get the good quality for the price like everyone in the Forum was bragging about. I guess I'm still suffering from the shock. Sorry khodges... just trying to be careful, no one at my club has any Hanger 9's, so I need your experiences with the plane. I have to ask questions if I don' know something. I've broken many things because I was afraid to ask, so please forgive me. It seems the older I get the more stupid I become.

On my Goldberg Eagle, and Wing Dragon I got in the habit of using my rudder, it's a good habit for everyone to have. I've seen many never use it unless on the ground or taking off. In the real Cub, and I used the rudder all the time... and at slow speeds she wanted to keep flying.

Thanks for your report mobyal. I'm hoping to get my plane in the air before the snow hits. If not, I'll fly it next spring and just fly the Pulse XT 40 instead. I took the covering off my 16 year old Goldberg Eagle, and found that the whole rudder, tail and a big part of the Plywood had major Fuel Rot.

The previous Owner didn't take good care of it and had it hanging near the entrance to his garage. He sold me the plane and Field Box for $250. My Club knew I wanted a Glow instead of flying my electric plane. It was nice of them helping me to get started. Atleast I have all the good Hardware and parts I can use for other aircraft. I've gotten 4 flights in with her and Solo'd her on the 3rd flight. Really, it's not worth trying to save... and it's too bad. []

Well, I'm getting of subject... Sorry.

I'll take some pictures of my Cub when I get everything finished. Thanks for your help guys.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY