Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New TF B-25 ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New TF B-25 ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New TF B-25 ARF?

The hangar 9 looks like a heavy coat of cheese please

Topflite had Greg Hann working on the prototype, what type of R&D did Hanar 9 do???
seems like a no brainer to me
Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: kahloq

As far as the "cheap" parts of the Hangar 9, it doesnt look cheap.

Well, I will disagree. Based on the photos, it looks cheap to me. We will have to wait and see what it looks like in person.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:28 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kochj

The hangar 9 looks like a heavy coat of cheese please

Topflite had Greg Hann working on the prototype, what type of R&D did Hanar 9 do???
seems like a no brainer to me
Considering your not a designer nor a plane manufacturer, making a statement without knowing what H9 did or didnt do for R&D is simply ignorant. What they did for research is up to them. They have made a much better representation then a lot of others, including Nitroplanes. Just because TF had Greg Hann working on it doesnt mean squat. If you dont like the H9, your business. A no brainer? Hardly. Your biased opinion? Yup. Would I buy the TF one? Yup, if I wanted to spend an extra $200. Would I buy the H9 one? Possibly, we'll see. Would I buy the KMP? Yup, again, if i desired to spend $650 at that time for extra detailing.
A no brainer for you...maybe so. A no brainer for anyone else? Maybe, maybe not. Each person has their own criteria, so dont try pushing your own onto others.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

The TF b-25 sure has my approval. Especially if it has the fiberglass parts as descibed as above. I didn't particularly care for Hanger 9's B-25 because of the cheap looking parts.
I concur that the TF as per seen in the only photo available seems to look better at first. We'll have to wait and see actually what the plane is made from and see different shots for final judgement. They are somewhat different sizes so the smaller or larger size may appeal to some depending on their circumstances.
As far as the "cheap" parts of the Hangar 9, it doesnt look cheap. But, maybe some things stick out that some dont like(a few screws here or there or the less then pretty tail gun area. That can be recitified by a modeler without much cost.
If you think that the H9 looks cheap, I encourage you to take a look at the one that Nitroplanes has. http://www.nitroplanes.com/mibmi5271nig.html
Not everyone has a large bank account, but theres nothing wrong with anyone who does. Buy the one that appeals to you the most

My cheap and your cheap seem to differ. kochj mentioned the word "cheese", that was the word I was looking for. Everybody in my flyng club agrees. H9 has some planes that are real gems and they have some that aren't. This one just has some cheap looking parts on it. By the way, what does a person's opinion have to do with the size of their bank acccount?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Instead of bashing each other why not enjoy each plane for the simple reason of what they bring to the table , fun , warbirds without a ton a work
I like them both and if I used the Top Flight P51 ARF for refferance vs H9 P51 , I would say top flight has put out better planes , but there so slow in the product release and hardly ever respond to the modelers inquires , I know 'who am I to expect a responce from a R&D department' but so many rc companies take the end user seriuos and like to comment on suggestions ...Andrer Kondor is one example and so is Thomas from VQ

One thing I cant not tell at this point because I dont know the weights but perhaps the h9 is a sport flyer like all there warbirds and Top Flight is more of a warbird based on wing loading ect ect , both appealing to differant experience level
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: LDM

Instead of bashing each other why not enjoy each plane for the simple reason of what they bring to the table , fun , warbirds without a ton a work
I like them both and if I used the Top Flight P51 ARF for refferance vs H9 P51 , I would say top flight has put out better planes , but there so slow in the product release and hardly ever respond to the modelers inquires , I know 'who am I to expect a responce from a R&D department' but so many rc companies take the end user seriuos and like to comment on suggestions ...Andrer Kondor is one example and so is Thomas from VQ

One thing I cant not tell at this point because I dont know the weights but perhaps the h9 is a sport flyer like all there warbirds and Top Flight is more of a warbird based on wing loading ect ect , both appealing to differant experience level
Thank you. Someone who gets it.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

They won't be available to ANYONE until September.

I get lucky sometimes, but not this time.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: pettit

They won't be available to ANYONE until September.

I get lucky sometimes, but not this time.

I imagine this one may cost you a few pizza's to get the review assignment...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
pettit

Not really. These things have a way of finding their way to my shop door.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
kahloq

I look forward to seeing a report from any reviewer Hopefully one here on RCU.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen this bird up close and in person many times over the past year. Greg's was an ARC. His looks as good as his larger one. They come with bomb bay doors already built in. All you do is cut them out if you want to use them. I hope my memory is serving me well. Remember this was the prototype.Greg's plane uses there companies electric motor system and I believe batteries. Plane flies very well. If someone is looking for this size of B-25, it should be a good one. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one Dick.
Gary
Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
kahloq

Yeah that one was using Rimfire motors. I dont recall the size without looking it up in my stack of Fly RC mags or Model Airplane News. Very cool that it might have the bomb bay doors almost ready for the modeler. On the H9 one, it might take some work since that is suppoosedly the area where you put batteries in if doing electric.....however, wont know how easy it will be to convert to bomb doors until planes are in hand.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 AM
pettit

In order to have "thoughts", I have to see and fly the plane.

Too many readers formulate opinions well before they actually see the subject up close and personal.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
ProScaleRc

Baha, this thread is so funny. Some people are getting so worked up about other people's comments just as if hey own Hanger 9 or TF. You guys need to keep in mind, this is a public forum which promotes people's personal experiences and personal comments. Just chill a little and enjoy your hobby.

BTW: I "PERSONALLY" think that the H9 B-25 looks cheap... the canopies/gun domes and cowling ruin it for me and so does the glossy finish. I'm really keen to see what TF come up with and if the fuse is fibreglass with rivet detailing, I'll buy the ARTC version without a second thought.

Can't wait....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 AM
pettit

I just took a closer look at the Top Flite web site and they make no menton of a fiberglass fuselage.

They say everything is covered in Monokote, but it does have a number of fiberglass detail parts.

I guess I was incorrect. That makes twice, the first time was back in 1956....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Interesting, the tower site states a 100 hour build time. Dat be alot for an ARFER!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

100 hours... yep.... Think about all those loooong extensions, wiring, 2 engine mounting, retracts, gear doors, etc...etc....etc..... Easy 100 hrs.....

Well beats building one from a WING MFG KIT......

working bomb bay doors!! WOW!!!!!!!! BE A DREAM COME TRUE!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks fantastic at least from the small photo...... WONDER IF IT WILL HAVE LIGHTS on it like the TF CESSNA.... that would be really over the top....
Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
ProScaleRc

ORIGINAL: pettit

I just took a closer look at the Top Flite web site and they make no menton of a fiberglass fuselage.

They say everything is covered in Monokote, but it does have a number of fiberglass detail parts.

I guess I was incorrect. That makes twice, the first time was back in 1956....
Hi pettit,

may I ask where you found this on the TF website. I've been looking everyday, but I can not see the update. I've even tried entering the part number into the web addy, but no luck. I really do think it's been listed on there yet

Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
pdansalvish

Folks,

Can someone tell where they are reading the details of the TF B-15. I can find nothing on the tower site about fiberglass fuse or bomb-bay doors. Here is the information directly cut from the tower site. If someone has more updated, true and verifiable intel please post.

Thanks

Top Flite B-25J Mitchell Bomber GE ARF .46-.50,88.5"

E-mail This Page To A Friend

Manufacturer Stock#
TOPA0980

Special Stock#
LXRXH9

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Late Sep
E-mail Me When Available

Tech Notes

NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT
This is the radio controlled, glow powered, 1/9 scale, almost-ready-to-fly,
Top Flite B-25J Mitchell Bomber GE Scale Airplane.
For Intermediate to Advanced Modelers.

Named after General Billy Mitchell of the Army Air Corps, this is
a model of the twin engine medium range bomber
made famous by Jimmie Doolittle's raid on Tokyo early in WWII.

**Additional Technical Info Will Be Added When It Becomes Available.**

FEATURES: Construction:
Wings: Plug-in type for easy, accurate assembly
Covering: Pre-covered in flat Top Flite MonoKote, color scheme is

Radio Compartment:
Cowling: Fiberglass
Engine Nacelles: Constructed of fiberglass over built-up wooden
understructure
Canopy and Windows: Clear molded plastic
Landing Gear: with fiberglass landing gear doors
can also be changed to Robart retractable gear
Wheels: Three " ( mm) diameter
Aileron Control:
Interior Features: Seat backs and profile pilots
Fuel Tank: oz ( cc)
Building Time: Ready to fly in approximately 100 hours
Warranty: Top Flite Models guarantees this kit to be free of defects
in material and workmanship at the date of purchase. This
warranty does not cover any component parts damaged by use or
modification

INCLUDES: Pre-built and covered wings, fuselage and tail assemblies, pushrods,
pre-bent main landing gear, wheels, fiberglass components including
landing gear doors, cowls, antennas and machine gun blisters
engine mounts, fuel tank, wood servo trays, Great Planes hardware
package, decals and photo-illustrated instructions

REQUIRES: Engines: Two .46-.50 cu in (7.5 - 8.0 cc) 2-stroke OR
two .70 cu in (11.5cc) 4-stroke
Exhaust:
Radio: 8-channel
Servos: 13
Servo Extension:
Y-Harness:
Misc. Items: Glow plug, 1/2" foam rubber padding, medium fuel tubing,
fuel filter, propeller based on engine selection

SPECS: Wingspan: 88.5" (2255mm)
Wing Area: 1036 sq in (66.8 dm2)
Weight: 17 - 19lbs (7710 - 8620g)
Wing Loading: 38 -42 oz/sq ft (116 - 128g/dm2)
Length: 70.5" (1795mm)
Airfoil:
Center of Gravity:
Control Throws:
Elevator: Up & Down
Rudder: Right & Left
Ailerons: Up & Down

COMMENTS: Following are the colors of Top Flite MonoKote used to cover this
model and order numbers for 6ft rolls;

jxs 7/02/07
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
ProScaleRc

You are correct, there is no mention on a f/g fuse and it is written like it is a built-up fuse. I guess we'll have to wait for TF to upload it on their website.

Just a bit of trivia: I received an email from Gary at Robart last night stating that they will be making retracts for the B-25, but they have not yet seen the plane in the flesh, so they do not know when they will be released. He said there is no word of when they will see the completed model.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
a walk in the park

Guys,

To anyone interested I will be flying the final production TF B-25 ARF at the Warbirds over Delaware meet this week. It is the same airframe that will emerge from the box. It is powered by two OS .70 four strokes. I also should be able to buddy box it so a few can give it a try. It's of course a great flyer and very flyer friendly.

There should be plenty of info on the plane coming out of that event. I'll try and keep things posted as the week goes along. Might even have some flying pix up

keep checking back

G Hahn
Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
ProScaleRc

ORIGINAL: a walk in the park

Guys,

To anyone interested I will be flying the final production TF B-25 ARF at the Warbirds over Delaware meet this week. It is the same airframe that will emerge from the box. It is powered by two OS .70 four strokes. I also should be able to buddy box it so a few can give it a try. It's of course a great flyer and very flyer friendly.

There should be plenty of info on the plane coming out of that event. I'll try and keep things posted as the week goes along. Might even have some flying pix up

keep checking back

G Hahn

Wow, how exciting. For those of us who live o/s and obviously can not make it, can you please confirm whether the fuse is built-up or fiberglass?

thanks,

James
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
a walk in the park

James,

Sorry, I should have done that to begin with.

The fuse is built up lite ply with balsa sheeting. Mainly a weight issue, if made from glass there would need to be too much internal structure which would add up to heavy. Keep in mind the wing is not one piece since it is a mid- wing design. Aluminum tubes traverse through the fuse at the center and there's quite a bit of structure in the fuse to secure the wing.

The complete nacelles and cowls are glass as are the gear doors. The nose green house, cockpit and tail position and top turret are also glass. All the surfaces except the flaps are open frame and covered.

anything else just ask

thanks
gh
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
ProScaleRc

Thanks for that info... damn shame as I got excited about the rivet and panel line rumour. Oh well, it's still a B-25 made by TF. [8D]

Can you please post some images when you can? Images of the green-house, cockpit and turrets would be most welcome. I'm hoping these areas fit well and are scale; this is one thing the other B-25's on the market fall back on.

Thanks again and all the best.

J
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 PM
kochj

We were only speculating on purly the looks of these 2-planes. Like you, I went by what I had to go by... Photos.. and a old MAN article about the Topflite and Greg H. bringing the b-25 prototype to a electric flying..... And how do you know what I am or what I do or what I have done??/ Now that sounds Ignorant to me! For all you know I have designed the more or soon to released by Sierra Giant, and there Top Gun Trojan offering in the next months??
I could wip it out too, but what would that prove??
I just wrote what I thought about this on a wimm/// Obviously you are just too sensitive about your planes! I guess I have to realize that buying planes and engines, is usually based on emotions!
I usually don't respnd to these types of things but to attack me about a simple thought about a up and comming plane?? Sounds like you should be out flying or building or something else other than reading posts about a particulat plane that you have nothing to loose over other than a glance, and getting all puckered up about???
Shoot, Ive got some real deep issues to get mad about but I don't bring my crappy underware to your front doorstep to be washed by you now do I??

Considering your not a designer nor a plane manufacturer, making a statement without knowing what H9 did or didnt do for R&D is simply ignorant. What they did for research is up to them. They have made a much better representation then a lot of others, including Nitroplanes. Just because TF had Greg Hann working on it doesnt mean squat. If you dont like the H9, your business. A no brainer? Hardly. Your biased opinion? Yup. Would I buy the TF one? Yup, if I wanted to spend an extra $200. Would I buy the H9 one? Possibly, we'll see. Would I buy the KMP? Yup, again, if i desired to spend $650 at that time for extra detailing.
A no brainer for you...maybe so. A no brainer for anyone else? Maybe, maybe not. Each person has their own criteria, so dont try pushing your own onto others.
[/quote]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.