Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP 69" Edge 540T with review.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP 69" Edge 540T with review.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CMP 69" Edge 540T with review.

Hey everyone. Here is my CMP Edge 540T, with a short review. I picked this one up off of eBay because the price was right and I love the color scheme. I knew what I was getting into, as I have had other cheapy ARFs before. The plane is well built, maybe even over-built. I just glassed the wing halves, firewall and wing bolt connection points to ward off possible problems. Covering is very nice, as is the cowl....the picture seems to show the red not matching, but I guess that is the flash at work. Looks good. Instructions are crap, many parts of the plane they show in them are different from what you actually get and are vague at best, but anyone with some experience could figure it out. Linkage hardware is absolute garbage. It included plastic clevises meant for 4/40 rods, but flimsy rods that are far too small came with them.....I have no idea. Replaced with GP 4/40 metal hardware. Bolts and screws were good. Landing gear is crap, and cracked on my first greaser landing and went completely bad on the third. I am grounded until I get new gear... She is powered by a YS 140 Sport, and it hovers at 1/3 throttle (11.5 pounds dry). Topped it off with a DB Vortech spinner and an 18/6 APC. It has three flights on it, as I am still trying to figure out the proper CG. It was way nose heavy, so I ended up moving the engine mount behind the firewall. Now it seems to be a tad tail heavy, as the rear feathers are extremely sensitive (does a 'wall' at full throw). I picked this plane because it seems everyone has a Funtana or similar, and this really stands out at the field. I look forward to getting her dialed in and flying just right. Anyone who has experience with this plane is welcomed to give me some advice. Thanks for reading and happy flying!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58855.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	553387  
Old 11-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Sessholvlaru

Default RE: CMP 69" Edge 540T with review.

Well I guess no one is interested in replying? Oh well. I have ordered new CF gear from Graph Tech for the 25% Aeroworks Edge, as they seem to be the same size. As soon as I get them on there I will post some flying video.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
waterfalls
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, I've been flying mine for a year now. True, if you fly this plane nose heavy, it sucks!. I put a Saito 1.25 on mine and love it. Hover at 55% throttle. Mine weighs out at 9lbs 2 ounces, DRY. I had to do a little mixing to avoid coupling but overall a great flying airplane. Just put your battery pack as far back as possible and I would even move the throttle servo back in your case. She flys great and is probably the easiest plane to hover that I have had.
check back with that video.
-
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
waterfalls
My Feedback: (26)

The landing gear I have has worked well for me. sorry to hear about yours.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 AM
Sessholvlaru

Well looks like no video for a week or two....my brand new YS decided to drop the exhaist valve assembly into the motor....off to YS it goes!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Any more word on your Edge? I'd like to find out more about hovering. Waterfalls, you say it is easy. A plane that I find easy to hover is a Great Planes U-Can-Do. Is it that easy? The control surfaces look pretty small in comparison to other Edges I've seen. How effective are they. Will the small ailerons keep it from torque rolling in a hover? I've got my eye on this and several other Edges, including the one at www.peakmodel.com. That thing is getting rave reviews.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Sessholvlaru

Hey. Well, unfortunatly my YS 140 is still in for service, holiday season and all. I hope to get it back soon. The control surfaces are plenty big, and super responsive. Mine is slightly tail heavy and at full elevator throw goes into a hover instantaneously. Very stable hovers at 1/4 throttle with the YS 140. It seems to me that huge ailerons are not necessary and may even be a marketing ploy, making it look more 'aerobatic.' Ailerons are as effective as planes guys at my field fly that are half the size of the wing. I love this plane and hope to get it back in the air soon. I will post some video when that does happen. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 AM
GMoneyPit

Thanks for the response. Happy new year to you too! Can't wait to see the video.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 AM
GMoneyPit

Since your engine is out for repair and your cowl is off, could you possibly take some pics of the engine mounting area and possibly closeups of inside the fuse? How do the wings mount? What is your all up weight (how does yours differ so much from waterfalls)? Where did you CG end up?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Sessholvlaru

Hey all. Finally got my YS back! Unfortunately it has been way too windy and freezing here in Jersey. First decent day I get I will throw her up. Gmoney: The wing is one piece. It has one plywood rectangle at the leading edge that slides into a slot in the fuse. That back bolts down with two metal screws and washers into blind nuts in the wing saddle. I wish it was a two piece wing, but hey, I like it so far. All up weight less fuel was 12.5 pounds, I believe. I have already put the business end together and forgot to take pics. If you really need them I would be happy to take off the cowl and take a few. I will be happy to post some video as soon as I get a warm day. Happy landings!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
GMoneyPit

Don't sweat the pics, but I'd like to read a flight report if you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Sessholvlaru

Default RE: CMP 69

How about we revive this thread from the dead?

Way back in 2007 I eventually gave this plane away to someone because I was frustrated about how sh*tilly it flew. I have gone on to fly much higher quality planes, but in retrospect I think the much-too-heavy Y.S. 140 killed this plane. I saw one come up for sale NIB on RCG, so I bought it.

Same story as my last one, crappy fiberglass landing gear and useless hardware. I ordered Graph Tech CF gear and installed that. On this one the covering on the stab was fudged and the blue stripes were misplaced, so I ended up recovering the stab to what it should have looked like.

I am thinking electric this time around, maybe an E-Flite Power 110 I have collecting dust.