Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Don't paint the tips!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Don't paint the tips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't paint the tips!!!

Let's fly!

Or better still, "Let's roll.".

Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 PM
ggroyal1

What about painting all of the prop except for the tips?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I may fire off a letter telling APC that a line of "safety" props may work to their benefit though. Heck they can always charge more for them.
If APC decided to sell white props with red tips, I would be interested. But for now, I refuse to purchase something that's as sharp as a razor and disappears even while the engine's at idle. So yea, it's worth a shot.

Suggesting that manufacturers be tagged with coloring the tips as a safety issue is just more fodder for the legal profession and they're out of control anyway.
If all propellers were required to be sold with contrasting tip colors (white with red tips, black with yellow or white tips, grey with bright orange tips, for example), there would be no lawsuits needed as long as the companies obeyed the law. What can possibly be wrong with selling a product with such a simple safety feature that might save countless fingers? A prop incident is a very unfortunate thing, but it can happen to the best of us. An APC prop that disappears while spinning may look totally /<rad, but a cut-off finger will make the most awsome 3D stunter become a totally uncool appliance.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ggroyal1

Brilliant! Cut away, and no toxic paint chips to worry about! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

<snip>

Beating a dead horse?

Well this is a forum, and if we were all adverse to beating dead horses, we would have nothing to post, as 95% of the discussions rehash what has already been said...

<snip>

Well look at it this way, isn't this more fun or at least a change from trying to explain the G3.5 upgrade glitch?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:07 PM
skiman762

what glitch ?
mines seems to work just fine
where do I look for it ?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:32 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

'I have a constant bearing with decreasing range---what do I do now?'
[quote]ORIGINAL: khodges

I have read this bit of alert with great amusement!! The answer is--GET OUT OF THE WAY, FAST!! LOL
hookem
Old 11-11-2006, 03:54 PM
damifino

Wilst you guys are chewing the (horse) fat don't forget about the solvents and fuels you (we) use soaking into your skin and settling in the liver. Oh yeah, and breathing those poisonous (great smelling) exhaust fumes. And please, please, refrain from smoking and/or chewing tobacco products while starting and tuning your model aircraft. You could wind up with a nasty infection of a lung tumor with a high risk of it spreading to your liver. This is especially true if you have been picking your nose with a finger impregnated with prop paint chips. By the way, I use props with tips painted from the factory. Why? They are visible and just plain look good. Paint or no paint, who gives a rat's a*s?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:54 PM
old n slow

Spinning props and fingers, kinda like ground looping a cub. There are those who have and those who are going to. According to
Mr. Murphy. Nuff said.
Don'tcha just love it.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:25 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Well look at it this way, isn't this more fun or at least a change from trying to explain the G3.5 upgrade glitch?
IT SURE IS!!!

Especially trying to explain the problems to the KE staff and why it must be addressed ASAP.

I hope they got the message. There seems to be movement on their part about all of this...

There are various issues which they seem to be trying to tackle at once...

Pro's indeed... a foot was planted firmly in a mouth when that was said.

I was out snap rolling & hovering my Funtana for hours today just to get a feel for the snap roll and tail authority issues.

The 3.5 roll inertial is far too high, my plane stops instantly when the controls are centered, no tendancy to keep rolling as in 3.5.

The real thing hovers far easier than in 3.5.

Snaps are "in plane" as I complained about, etc.

3.00.448 was really "tight" in terms of mimicing reality, and being predictive of configuration changes affecting real craft... now we've gone a few steps backward...

Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: skiman762

what glitch ?
mines seems to work just fine
where do I look for it ?
This has been discussed to death on the KE forums.

Basically some attempts to fix rather tiny physics issues in the newly release 3.5 is causing unrealistic plane behaviour in the 3D realm.

The big stink, is that when all of these problems were raised with KE, they responded that they took their input from "pro" flyers and that they were leaving the flight model as per what the "pros" told them.... this was said in a bit of a flippant manner, implying that they didn't care what we though...

One side effect of the problems with the plane physics, is that many of the included planes simply break apart in flight when you attempt 3D manouvers. Try a "wall" or snap roll with the Ultimate, the tail snaps off with little effort. It also doesn't snap roll like the real thing, and so on.

The problem is, when you give a product to a "pro", often what happens is that they take a cursory view of the software, write up a short review, and then they wash their hands of it. They have other fish to fry, and contests to win.

Whereas we collectively in the RC community, expect a high degree of fidelity, and we will often pick apart a flight model ad-nauseum finding it's failings and quirks.

I installed 3.5, tried a few things that I normally do at the field (and with the prior release) and found the deviations immediately.

KE listened to the wrong people. Even the beta testers tried to tell them of the problems but the beta group was not listened to.

There are other issues as well... secondary controllers (e.g. your real radio) doesn't map properly to the new interactive training, etc.

I expect that we'll see a new patch before the holidays to fix all of this.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:59 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: damifino

Wilst you guys are chewing the (horse) fat don't forget about the solvents and fuels you (we) use soaking into your skin and settling in the liver. Oh yeah, and breathing those poisonous (great smelling) exhaust fumes. And please, please, refrain from smoking and/or chewing tobacco products while starting and tuning your model aircraft. You could wind up with a nasty infection of a lung tumor with a high risk of it spreading to your liver. This is especially true if you have been picking your nose with a finger impregnated with prop paint chips. By the way, I use props with tips painted from the factory. Why?

They are visible and just plain look good. Paint or no paint, who "gives a rat's a*s?"
If you didn't, "give a rat's a*s" you wouldn't have posted.

But since you do... we were not discussing fuels, poisons and smoking.

The problem with the poisonous nature of fuel has been discussed in other threads... and there are appropriate suggestions there.

Smoking while tuning the plane is not really related to RC as there is very little chance of setting yourself on fire.

BUT I WANT A STUDY! "not".

The carcinoginic nature of cigarrettes, has already caused warning labels to be mandated.

As far as picking your nose... we'll I can't speak for your own personal hygene as well as you do.

Re: Props painted at the factory?

Don't know why you do that, as the factory paint comes off rather easily. I would think that it makes far more sense to paint them yourself using a plastic Krylon paint as posted...

But you could always suggest that the manufacturer do something better, like... use colored materials instead...

... oh wait, that's how this thread started.

Unless of course you are one of those people who believe that manufacturers always do EVERYTHING right and in your best interests, and we are idiots for suggesting improvements, as some people here seem to believe.

Hmmm... we wouldn't have airbags & seatbelts in cars, fireproof materials in airliners, non-flammable children's halloween costumes, either then.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ggroyal1

Lol...

Yes.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:49 PM
damifino

Your enthusiasm is admirable, however, as a newbie to the hobby perhaps, for a while, you should enjoy what the RC world can bring to you rather than picking inconsequential minutia to 'Ralph Nader' on. Sorry if you're not a newbie, but you sound like one anyway.

By the way, I don't recall writing anything in my post about catching on fire. And. My favorite plane's K Series prop's factory painted tips, after accumulating over 120 flights off of grass and water, have retained at least 90% of their white paint, imagine that. I have also retained my fingers thanks to a God given thing called... COMMON SENSE!!

I guess one should just remember this.....You don't tug on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind, ya don't mess with the ol' Lone Ranger and
YA KEEP YA FINGERS OUTTA THE PROP!!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
opjose

Your enthusiasm is admirable, however, as a newbie to the hobby perhaps, for a while, you should enjoy what the RC world can bring to you rather than picking inconsequential minutia to 'Ralph Nader' on. Sorry if you're not a newbie, but you sound like one anyway.
Ah, you DO care.... you came back again.

Ralph Nader?

Do you seriously believe that the prop manufacturers have your best interests at heart?

It may be minutia that a car is equipped with an airbag or not...

But once it saves your life, it's a big deal.

Likewise what do you care if someone does change the mechanism for coloring the props?

Is it really any bother for you if they do this, or that someone bothers to suggest that they do as long as costs are not adversely affected?

(Not that they will do this without some pressure... from the RC enthusiasts, e.g. their client base...)

Master Airscrew goes through the trouble of painting the prop tips. Good for them...

For what they pay to do this, there MIGHT be a better different way.

What does it hurt to have something like that employed?

People spend a lot of time around here talking about landing gear blocks, fuel proofing and reinforcements.
This is something a bit LESS important than something which can help to avoid injury.

Yet you and a couple of others elect to jump on my case about the latter.

Hmmm...

But...
READ THE POST!
NO FINGERS WERE INSERTED INTO PROP!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 PM
damifino

[sm=75_75.gif]..Whatever.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

OMG! You guys could pick gnat crap out of black pepper!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Hill202

OMG! You guys could pick gnat crap out of black pepper!!
Lol. It's all in the details.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
damifino

I've never tried picking gnat crap out of black pepper but I'd be willing to bet the gentleman from Maryland is an[sm=75_75.gif] expert in the field.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think everyone should be forced to switch over to those beautiful safety orange GWS props. It would also be handy during deer season. That orange blur would also stop the carnage from hunters mistaking our planes for deer (or turkey in season.)
Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you seriously believe that the prop manufacturers have your best interests at heart?

It may be minutia that a car is equipped with an airbag or not...

But once it saves your life, it's a big deal.

Likewise what do you care if someone does change the mechanism for coloring the props?

Is it really any bother for you if they do this, or that someone bothers to suggest that they do as long as costs are not adversely affected?

(Not that they will do this without some pressure... from the RC enthusiasts, e.g. their client base...)

Master Airscrew goes through the trouble of painting the prop tips. Good for them...

For what they pay to do this, there MIGHT be a better different way.

What does it hurt to have something like that employed?

Find me one example of paint chips from a spinning propeller infecting a wound caused by that propeller, and I will join your cause.... The real question is not "what does it hurt to have something like that?"...but "Why.
Tommy
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

Ok my turn... OP your arguments seem to bounce back and forth whether you know it or not. Using an airbag in your car is aiken to actually using paint on your props. The airbag can cause injury when deployed yet people use it to save them from more serious injuries. Yes the airbag can cause serious harm or death but the benefits outweigh the risks. The same can be said about the paint issue. The damage caused from a paint fleck getting into your wound is insignificant compared to the potential harm that can be caused from an unpainted prop. Ultimately the individuals are responsible for ensuring they keep appendages free of the propeller but the paint is yet another tool to help us live more safely.

As for molded colors and multicolored props. Some manufacturers are already doing this at least to some extent. My buddy just went to get a prop for his aircraft and in the pitch he wanted all the hobby store had was a teal blue. Of course he complained because 99% of our hobby is social and we want our planes to look as cool as possible. In order for manufacturers to keep the majority of the hobbiests happy with multicolored props they would have to charge a lot more due to the retooling necessary for changing colors between batches. Plus the hobby stores would have a hard time with keeping all the different styles and colors in stock. Ultimately we would end up going back to solid colored props in a standard color i.e. gray or black and then painting the tips the color we wanted in order for our planes to look as cool as possible.

And last but not least most paint is fairly nonhazardous once dry (unless you are using lead based... but why would you do that). The paint is about as hazardous to you as the grass fragments left over on the prop or a bit of dirt off the ground.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Find me one example of paint chips from a spinning propeller infecting a wound caused by that propeller, and I will join your cause.... The real question is not "what does it hurt to have something like that?"...but "Why.
Tommy
That is why I started the thread.

The doctor made a comment, so I wondered about the efficacy of all of this.

Thus far the consensus is, it's not worth bothering about.

I'm not saying that this is not valid. It's probably true. It's nice to get that "second opinion" from other medical professionals.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: gilbertfh

Ok my turn... OP your arguments seem to bounce back and forth whether you know it or not.

The damage caused from a paint fleck getting into your wound is insignificant compared to the potential harm that can be caused from an unpainted prop.

Ultimately the individuals are responsible for ensuring they keep appendages free of the propeller but the paint is yet another tool to help us live more safely.
I'm not out to change anyone's mind about all of this...

The obtuse argument is the result of someone else doing something very similar, namely that they were not arguing the point, and resorted to something a bit pedantic.

The doctor who attended me raised the paint issue, based upon other wounds he had attended (not necessarily related to RC) that had been problematic.

He suggested that paint may not be the best way to go about all of this.

I do agree that something is better than nothing.

I just raised the issue/viability or nonsense involved in seeking or asking about something else.

In order for manufacturers to keep the majority of the hobbiests happy with multicolored props they would have to charge a lot more due to the retooling necessary for changing colors between batches.
That I don't know. Is it really that expensive or difficult for them to do this?

It seems that nowadays molded multicolored plastic items are easy to manufacture.

Plus the hobby stores would have a hard time with keeping all the different styles and colors in stock.
I don't know, but could be.

Master Airscrew sells theirs prepainted white. AFAIK this hasn't hurt their sales or their stocking.
People do seem to buy them.

They don't offer yellow or red tips, nor grey props though.

And last but not least most paint is fairly nonhazardous once dry (unless you are using lead based... but why would you do that). The paint is about as hazardous to you as the grass fragments left over on the prop or a bit of dirt off the ground.
Aren't most people using fuel proof paint?

I used ( or rather a car painter used ) automotive paint on my heli canopies to prevent fuel related problems.

Don't most fuel proof paints have toxic substances that remain once they dry out?

Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Shouldn't this thread be in the AMA forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.