Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 Showtime 50

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 Showtime 50

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
G159

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hangar 9 Showtime 50

If it is anything like the 90 it should be a blast. I plan on getting one and putting the evolution 61 on the nose. I have a one new in the box sitting on the shelf waiting for a home. Any thoughts to this setup. I dont think it is much heavier than the 52.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:42 PM
jklatt16

Default RE: New Hangar 9 Showtime 50

I think its a good idea.[sm=idea.gif] The only problem i can see that could happen is the engine mount might be a couple mm's to narrow. But I think its a good idea to do it. The X50's weight is less then the Showtime. And it recommends the same engines for both. Thats why I went with the Saito .91 I had that problem myself when I put the Saito .91S on it but it was easy to get around. I havent flown it with the Saito .82 yet but I dont think it would be better than what I have now. The weight difference between the two engines is like two ounces. So it really doesnt make it that much heavier. I ended up having less weight than I would have with the 82 stock, by putting light weight servos and battery. So I think you should give it a try. But please be sure to come back and tell us what you think of it.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I wouldn't put a 2 stroke on this plane. I have the 90 size with a YS 110 on it. The 4 strokes can swing a bigger prop. I am using a 19x8W prop, it will hover all day and pull out is awesome. The 50 size should handle the same, but I would use a Saito 82 with a 15x4W prop.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 AM
jklatt16

I think a 15x4 is a little big on the 82. I wouldnt put bigger than a 14x4.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
superman65355

I'm thinking of this plane and considering the 70 magnum FS do ya think this would be good?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

I bought one yesterday(01-15-07) looking to put a saito .91 on it. I hope it will be the right combo. I crashed my funtana 40 and saw this plane and thought I would replace it with this.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
jklatt16

I think you will love that combo but your are going to have to modify the engine mounts a little for the 91 to fit. I had to shave off a little of the inside part of the mounts. I used a dremel and now it fits perfectly. The 91 is just a little wide on the housing right below where the engine mount tabs are. They will wedge in there but it forces the mounts out a little bit but i didnt want that. It just looked like to much stress on the mounts and the firewall to me. I havent flown the showtime with the 82 Saito on it but im glad i went with the 91. Just seems right to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
JR 1984

Do you think the Saito 82 Will do good 3d on my st50?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
R/C Foolish

I have the 82 on my FuntanaX50 and I can go unlimited vertical, the ST50 should be the same. I have a YS 120 on my ST90 and it is awesome.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
CHRISTANEAGLE

I finished builing this airplane and it now sits in the hanger until the weekend. It was a tough build even though it was an ARF. I never do well with the cowling it takes forever and then the muffler comes into play. It has a pocket for the muffler to stick through but from prior experence it will discolor/melt the fiberglass because it is so close. I can put a deflector on it but it often times will melt off while trying to a adjusting the engine. The cowling does have a hole in it in line with the muffler. Has anyone flown this airplane?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
jklatt16

How come you think the ST 50 was a tough build? I thought it was one of the most easy builds ive had to date. Ive only built 6 models but it was by far the easiest. I understand what you mean about the cowl though...thats never easy and hard to make pretty!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

This is what I had to do to get it together.

1-Once the wings were on the bolt holes would not match up. I had to drill the fuselage holes out to get the bolts to start.

2-I glued the canopy on and the bolt holes would not match for that. It fitted fine before that. It was like it grew, the back would not go down enough to start the screws.---Way Off. I sanded and sanded and still had to drill the holes very large to get the screws to start.

3-I know this is small but, one of the wheel pant blind nuts were stripped.

4-The covering had an unusual amount of wrinkles. Have several H9 planes and they were all fine?

With all things said it still is going to be a great plane and the above things are minor, just took additional time to sort out.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 PM
jklatt16

Sounds like the jig might have been out of adjustment at the manufacturing facility or something. Sorry you had some much trouble with yours. I had none of the metioned problems. But I guess you never really know do ya?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

I wouldn't put a 2 stroke on this plane. I have the 90 size with a YS 110 on it. The 4 strokes can swing a bigger prop. I am using a 19x8W prop, it will hover all day and pull out is awesome. The 50 size should handle the same, but I would use a Saito 82 with a 15x4W prop.

R/C Foolish
Why not? Why rule them out altogether on a .50?

A decent .75 2 stroker would give about the same output as the YS 110.

The "4 strokes can swing a bigger prop." mantra usually applies because of the bigger bore. You are effectively putting in a larger engine to swing that bigger prop.

Yeah you can cite other reasons (lower noise) etc. but why preclude the 2 strokers?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:31 PM
jklatt16

i like the 2 strokers also but there is a point to the 4 stroke with 3d. Thats what i use and thats what i will always use. If both 2s and 4s engines have a peak output of about 1.5hp thats fine thats the same power. And yes the 2s is lighter, but if you go down in rpm in both engines to like half or quarter throttle the 4s engine will always put out more power overall. So when top peak power is essential like pylon racing then yes 2 stroke would be better cause its smaller and more light weight and would run in high rpm range the whole time. But in something like 3d flight where low rpm to mid range pull out and torque is more useful, then the engine that has more power over those rpm's is what you want. Now you might say why not use something that has the same torque rating in two stroke and you will also have more hp? Well your talking peak torque there also. If you ran at that rpm all the time then yes that would be better. But its what happens out of that peak range that the 4 stroke is superior. Out of peak, over the whole lower range of rpm the 4 stroke is going to have more power than the 2 stroke. Its like why they use a diesel in a a 18 wheeler...yes it is heavier, no it doesnt have as much peak power but the power it has over its mostly used range, it is superior. Thats just how I think about it. Not saying im right, it's just my opinion. Jared
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 PM
jklatt16

Im not saying you shouldnt or couldnt use the two stroke. Im just saying I wouldnt. And I think thats why most other people do it. That or it's just because everyone else is doing it. I dont do things to just be different. Because the other way is not always the best way. Thats why I did some research and did a lot of thinking before I picked what kind of engine I was going to use in my new hobby of 3d flight. But some people do things just to be different. And some people argue just to argue. But thats what I love about these boards. There is so much info and opinions on it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 PM
R/C Foolish

In my experience you want lower rpm, more torque for 3D, run a wider blade prop and it will hover all day. 2 strokes will run at a higher rpm and give you more speed, go too fast and it will flutter the ailerons or elevator.

JMHO,

R/C Foolish
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
R/C Foolish

jklatt16,

You said it so much better than I did but I agree 100%. Speed is great in my prop jet but slow power is the way to go for 3D.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-27-2007, 08:54 AM
CHRISTANEAGLE

Hello all,

I flew the beast yesterday(01-26-07) the wind was 15mph plus. I should had waited but when I get the notion to fly I fly. With all things said it flew pretty well. I did very little trimming I even had a dead stick landing, it lands with no susprises. The first flight I had the SFG's installed and it flew good. The next flight was without the SFG's and in the wind I think it flew better. One thing when I took off the SFG's they were quite loose,so we better check those after every flight. The saito .91 with a 15x4 wide blade flew it with great ease I kept thinking I was going to fast. I know when I can fly this plane on a calm day it will be one of my favorites.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

A perfect 2 stroke engine for 3d is going to be the sk 90. Just like 4-strokes it is ported for big props. So basically, you got around 2 horsepower turning props under 10,000. It is heavy as it is a 90 size but i needed that weight to balance my funtana x50. At about 6-1/2 pounds and a zonger 15-6 turning 9800 it is a vertical rocket. I have aslo tried a 15-8, turns 8800, and an apc 16-4W turning 9400. All have istantaneous acceleration and 4 stroke like throttle response. Can't beet that for 100 bucks.
I have yet to try the tower 75 muffler also.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

In my experience you want lower rpm, more torque for 3D, run a wider blade prop and it will hover all day. 2 strokes will run at a higher rpm and give you more speed, go too fast and it will flutter the ailerons or elevator.

JMHO,

R/C Foolish
Yeah that's a pretty good rational.... I'll buy it.

That said you could also get good results with a reliable 2 stroker and a bigger lower pitch speed prop, so they do not need to be ruled out.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

I crashed my ST 50 this weekend and I am not a happy camper. The RH wing came loose in flight. I was very high and went into a spin it suddenly got blindly fast. I tried to recover but could not. The engine was still running so I tried to give a burst of power but nothing helped. It went into a flat spin and POW into a paved parking lot. When I saw it I was shocked to see it on it's wheels the RH wing was about three feet away. The wing bolt was inside the wing. Not until I found it did I know what happened, could not see it from the air. The landing gear was bent, cowling torn , engine/firewall pushed to one side. Thats all! It was my fault I replaced the stock plastic bolts with steel bolts. PS even the SFG's were fine? I will go back to the plastic bolts they should not vibrate out. I still am thinking about the bolt issue and may try some sort of lock for the bolt. The bolts have nothing to do with strength of the wing but it must stay secure so it will not spin on the tube.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Kruzer

I'd try just a couple turns of teflon tape on the threads and they should go in snug and stay.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
nitrofevr

i have a saito 91 on an x50 with a 15x6 apc and it flyes it really good at 7000 feet with good pull out of a hover. on a little bit more heavy showtime it would fly great @ sea level.

On another note i have a fox 75 that is a stump puller for a 2 stroke. it turns a 14x6 @12k with 30%. i would like to put it into a showtime 50. what do you guys think?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
xaviergaribay

I built me ST 50 about 2 weeks ago and have flown it everyday that it didnt rain. I am running an evo .61 not much power, but im hoping that its just now broke in.. i was curious as to what might be th biggest prop that i could run on it. it doesnt hover very well, and it take alot of flying field to take off even with full up elevator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.