Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I2alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg 67" Yak 54 ARF

Enjoyed reading all the threads on the CB 67" 54 Yak. I'm picking my up Monday 8-27. After reading the instruction manual I see no reson to change the set up. I was planning at first to go with a 20 cc Zenoah gas engin, but when I looked into the weight I was shocked. Now I'm more confused on the right choice of engines after reading the last few threads. Guys at the field said to go with the YS 1.10 saying it'll have more power than the Saito 1.25. But now I see Dave saying there not enough power! And to go with the Satio 1.80 instead of the 1.50 being it's the same weight and has more power. I'm all about hovering at half thottle when in trouble I want the POWER to pull out.

Sooooooooooo what's the best power plant without adding all that weight. I want to keep the weight down so I can add SMOKE I've always wanted a plane with a smoke setup.

Did anyone have trouble installing the hinges? This is my first plan that came with this type.

George
Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Dave Bushong

I have received a few emails asking about my experience with the Yak and the Zenoah 20e. Sorry but I have not kept up with this thread this summer because I ended up getting sick and have not been able to fly much at all.

I will say that I probably would not choose the Zenoah again for this airplane. However I know that am going to have a lot of fun with this package. I can say this because I am not that experienced. Others who have flown my plane feel that it is underpowered with the Zenoah 20e.

Originally I had problems with the Zenoah. The first four flights with my Yak ended up as dead sticks! To make a long story short I sent the motor back and found out that the ignition was faulty. It really sounds great now and starts up with no effort. I like it but others would not agree with me due to the lack of power and the price of weight.

Once I get back in the grove I may comment more on the Yak and the Zenoah 20e.

Dave B
Old 02-17-2008, 11:35 AM
RC-Fanatic

Hello Everyone....

Great information here and I appreciate everyone's sharing of it.

I am looking at buying this plane with a Saito 125. Although I currently fly mostly acrobatic maneuvers (w/H9 Funtanna 50x with a OS 50something), I am interested in a plane/engine that will allow me to transition into 3D. The thread has gone silent for a while (probably due to the change in season). Anybody care to update me on their flying experiences with this plane and various engine combinations?

Happy Flying/Building to You All!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

I recently had my maiden flight with my Yak and a Saito 125. Great flying plane, but I was a little disappointed that the plane was a little underpowered the way I had it set up. I plan on using a smaller 16 oz fuel tank. The one that is provided is way over kill and reducing the amount of fuel should help. I also had 5 c cell batteries in the plane for the maiden which probably added a lot of extra weight that I did not need. I plan on replacing the c cell pack with something smaller. Between these two changes I should be able to save approximately 3/4 of a pound of weight. I will let you know how it goes. I am not ready to give up on the saito 125, but if I had a gas 2.0 to 2.6 around I would think that they would be perfect in this plane.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM
mmontella

I recently had my maiden flight with my Yak and a Saito 125. Great flying plane, but I was a little disappointed that the plane was a little underpowered the way I had it set up. I plan on using a smaller 16 oz fuel tank. The one that is provided is way over kill and reducing the amount of fuel should help. I also had 5 c cell batteries in the plane for the maiden which probably added a lot of extra weight that I did not need. I plan on replacing the c cell pack with something smaller. Between these two changes I should be able to save approximately 3/4 of a pound of weight. I will let you know how it goes. I am not ready to give up on the saito 125, but if I had a gas 2.0 to 2.6 around I would think that they would be perfect in this plane.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I2alpha

I installed a Saito 1.80 in my Yak 54 67". Ended up needing weight added as it was some what nose heavy. I've put around 60 flights on it and love how it flys. I also added a smoke kit lots of fun and fits in with no problems. This is my second Yak. My first one didn't fair so well. On it's second flight the controll rod (bolt) broke on the aileron coming out of a slow loop, cause the wing to explode. The plane nosed in all was lost. Great Planes did replace the kit due to hardware failure. They also up graded all the hardware that Goldberg had it the kits. Great Planes stood behind the kit nothing but good things to say about them. I still went ahead and up graded to Hanger 9's controll rods for my piece of mind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13399.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	882722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95594.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	882723  
Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Bernard
My Feedback: (1)

I have an os 91 FX looking for a plane - would this be a good choice?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Crash-RCU

I just maidened my Yak 54 67" this last sunday 2/17. I have a Saito 125 in it and thought it flew great, but I too think it is a little under powered with this engine. Bernard you will not be happy with the 91 in it. I am going to replace theSaito with one of the small 26cc gas engines.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Dave,

Are you using the stock muffler on your G20. If so, you can change for a less restrictive one like an Abell, B&B, Jtec or Bisson and get approx 600+ more rpm.

Karol
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Dave Bushong

Thanks for the note Karol. I though about getting a tuned pipe. I read about the power increase by downloading the informaion from Toni-Clark.com. I however did not know where to get one. Your informaion will no doubt encourage me to go that route some time soon.

Toni Clark also recommeded using a lypo 3.7 for the ignition. As you know the ignition for the 20ge is a hog. I have had very good response with a lipo I got from MaxAmps.com
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A tuned pipe setup will give quite an impressive boost in power, but is a bit too expensive for my pocket so I opted for a simple $40.00 replacement muffler.

Karol
Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
mmontella

I have decided to move the Saito 125 to another plane and go with the Brillelli 26SSR. I am already using the Brillelli in two other planes (CMP Corsair, Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub) and it is an awsome motor for the money $330 (including electronic ignition muffler). There shold be plenty of room in the cowl for the motor and it shold not need too large an ignition battery. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
2daysoff

Hey gang.

I love what I am reading so far... I have my Yak on the way from Tower. $249 with free shipping. Any set up or build advise would be great. I am going with an OS 120 4 stroke and thinking about Hitec hs 5625 servos all the way arround for this bird, might be over kill on the servos, not sure.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 AM
kochj

180$ At TOwer!
with another 30$ off
Thats ONLY 150$ Delivered!!!!!!!!!!!

I will get this plane....

Question for those that have this....

What is the wing tube Size??

I have a CF wing tube from my Funtana 100X and my CF landing gear......
I though about placeing both on this plane..... t would Help the wiegh out SIg......

Justin
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM
grandad1
My Feedback: (22)

Question, does this plane balance upside right or upside down? The book doesn't say and it's midwing so I wasn't sure...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 AM
2daysoff

ORIGINAL: kochj

180$ At TOwer!
with another 30$ off
Thats ONLY 150$ Delivered!!!!!!!!!!!

I will get this plane....

Question for those that have this....

What is the wing tube Size??

I have a CF wing tube from my Funtana 100X and my CF landing gear......
I though about placeing both on this plane..... t would Help the wiegh out SIg......

Justin

[:@] not even a week later and the price drops 70 dollars!!!!! I called tower and talked with a nice sales rep who said they should credit my account back, but I would have to wait and speak with customer service when they open. I will let you guys know...

Grandad 1. I have no idea how this plane ballances, I have not gotten that far yet in the build, I am close though....

here is some eye candy for you guys..

UPDATE***** Tower ROCKS.. they refunded me the price drop!!! Thats what I call customer service!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30082.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	923164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	923165  
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
2daysoff

Ok some questions...

I am getting close to mounting the hardware for the elevator push rods... I noticed that some of you used 4-40 composite rods and switched form the smaller wire rods (what ever size they are) that the kit came with.... How am I going to get the new rods down to the tail of the plane with the guide holes the size that they are... I have not tried it yet, but I am pretty sure that they are not big enough to handle a 4-40 sleeve. How can I make this work...

Second..

I have this thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7334861/tm.htm]click me[/link] up in the Q&A, maybe I can get some help here too concerning the counter ballance on the aileron

thanks in advance... This is an awesome kit, I just thing Goldberg should have used some better hardware than that what they did..
Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
grandad1

I put A 26 Toro gas in mine and I am having too move ( all ) my servos and Bat too the tail too get it too balanece.I am not going too be able too use pull-pull but I am putting A 197 oz tork servo on my rudder and ailarons.I am putting a 126 jr servo in my elev.All metal gears and digital.I am up grading the tail wheel too A bigger one because of the exter weight in the tail.It was real ease too move the elev servos but the rudder takes a little extra wood between the formore too mount the servo in.I only cut out about a one inch squar from A lighting hole and mounted the elev servos in it.Took about 10 min.I tryed too balance it up right and upside right and it wont set in the middle.It falls one way or the other.I am trying too balane it at 5 1/8 in from leading edge.Where is the best balance point if anyone can help me on that?Thanks Joe.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
2daysoff

Joe.. wish I could help sir...

would bet that it ballances right side up, If all else fails, give tech support at Goldberg a call tomorrow and ask them... Thats about the best I can do for ya. I hope that this thread gets active again, this seems like its a great bird and with it being on sale at Tower now, I hope it takes off again...

I thought of moving my elevator servos to the rear as well, just not sure about it yet, once I get this counter ballance isue on the aileron taken care of I will start mounting the controls. I am using futaba 3152's on the aileron and elevator. A hitec 5645 on the rudder. I have not even looked at the ballance point yet, but will post some results when I can. Tomorrow I am breaking in my OS 120. I know its not going to be a screamer with it, but it should fly pretty scale like.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I2alpha

The CG on my Yak was set up at 5.5". I also had to move both of my flight paks to the rear about 2' behind the canopy. I tested the final CG in the air. I'll fly inverted and kept adding weight under the elevtor halves untill it'll fly almost hands off the elevtor. Added4.5 ozs. the satio 180 and smoke kit made it nose heavy. With the extra weight the 180 has plenty of power to hover at half throttle.
Good luck granddad1 and 2daysoff. I love mine.
I2alpha
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
2daysoff

Thanks alpha...

What kind of smoke kit are you using??
Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I2alpha

2daysoff I installed the Sullivan skywriter. I put it across the top of the landing gear, and built a deck for the fuel tank above it. All as close to the CG as possible. The canopy was altered just a bit and fits over the tank with no problem.
George
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Dave Bushong

2daysoff,

It might be too late to answer your question about drilling larger holes to get your composite rods down to the tail. Since this is a Goldberg product I used a Rube Goldberg system.

I used some Sullivan fuel hose and some old plastic push rods to thread the bit to the desired location. I used about two inches of fuel hose and push one end of the hose over a drill bit. I then put a long piece of plastic pushrod into the other end of the short hose. The plastic push rod was long enough to reach the furthest area. The fuel hose gave just enough feasibility to place the bit into the existing hole. Drill each hole individually. In other words once the bit penetrates the old hole take it out of the reamed hole and rethread your rod to the next location. It worked great!

Now the easy way would be to go to a tool store and buy a flexible extension made for such a task.

Dave B
Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
grandad1

hi guys all I like on my Yak is too lad-balance it.I put A Toro 26 gaser in it and I had too move All 3 servos too the tail.I made A hatch for my 6 vote Bat and I put it under my Rudder servo and added 1 oz of led in frount of the Bat too balance it.I Balance it at 5 and 1/8 inch from leading edge.my plane weights 12 lbs and 8 ozs.I think the 26 will pull it just fine with A 17/6 apc prop.It will be next Sunday if the weather is good before I get too test it out.I hope too have A good report at that time.

Joe
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
2daysoff

Dave I have not gotten that far yet, thak you for the response. I have been sitting on this thing trying to figure out how to get those rods down there. I still want to add the 4-40 rods and the way you explained it makes perfect sence!!! Thank you sir!!! Now that I know how to do it, and with my radio equipment comming in tomorrow, I should have this Yak finished in no time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.