Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Yak?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Yak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Osnabruecker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

Hello to all!

I am new at this forum. I am planning to buy the seagull Yak and mount my G20. So I found thsi thread with great information so far for me. Thanks to all!

By the way, is there a difference between the european version of the G20 (in Germany it is called ZG20) and the american version? The Upms posted here are very low in my opinion. My G20 (with standard pipe) makes 8400 Upm with a 16x8 APC Prop and still 7400 Upm with an 17x8N APC prop (using 1:50; Bel Ray Oil and fuel with 100 octan).
I will also use a TC Pipe, so i hopefully have enough power for the seagull yak.

At the moment my G20 is working in an Extra 300 (wingspan 183 cm) with 11lbs (without fuel!) and standard pipe. Works fine for classic aerobatic flights but nothing else....

Greetings

Dirk
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Osnabruecker

Hello to all!

I am new at this forum. I am planning to buy the seagull Yak and mount my G20. So I found thsi thread with great information so far for me. Thanks to all!

By the way, is there a difference between the european version of the G20 (in Germany it is called ZG20) and the american version? The Upms posted here are very low in my opinion. My G20 (with standard pipe) makes 8400 Upm with a 16x8 APC Prop and still 7400 Upm with an 17x8N APC prop (using 1:50; Bel Ray Oil and fuel with 100 octan).
I will also use a TC Pipe, so i hopefully have enough power for the seagull yak.

At the moment my G20 is working in an Extra 300 (wingspan 183 cm) with 11lbs (without fuel!) and standard pipe. Works fine for classic aerobatic flights but nothing else....

Greetings

Dirk
I'm at 1500m+ altitude and fly the Yak with the G20 and TC combo. With a 17x6 APC the vertical is unlimted and the down lines are slow. An APC 16x8 turns at 8900 RPM and the 17x6 at 9200. The Yak weighs 4.4kg
Old 11-12-2007, 05:22 AM
Osnabruecker

Hello tkg,

thanks for your fast reply. Is your weight with fuel added?

I tried to figure out which weight i would recieve with my components and my expected weight is quite a bit over 8.9 lbs

Here are my components

5 x JR DS 8077 (40g) = 200g
1x JR s 5077 (35g) = 35g
Reciever (SMC 14) = 18 g
Reciever Batt (4,8V) = 150g
Switches 2x = 45g

Engine G20 =1050g
TC Pipe Combo = 260g
Ign Batt =80g
Prop = 100g

= round about 2000g (4.4 lbs) (anything forgotten??)

now the weight of the plane added (without mods) 4.8 lbs rounded to 5 lbs (right?)

Result: round about 9.4 lbs

Is is right or is there anything wrong?

Greetings

Dirk
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 AM
crycroft

well it flys man what a plane to think they tried to get me to buy a cap 300 as my first low wing thank god i did not

TKG
you where right on the money with the C/G 5 1/2 at the root i had to add 200 grams to the nose
it lands and flys slower than my trainer
i had no trim adjustment at all it took off by its self at 1/2 throttle

RC-plane
MINE GLIDS FOR ENVER AND EVER Better than my trainer slower to

as of today boomarang 40 will put up in the roof for my son never to see the light of day for a little time

TKG now i see how come you fly this plane so close to the ground
my one flys inverted hands off so cool

i had 6 flights today had to come home because it was dark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82230.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	802082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38514.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	802083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53020.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	802084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39240.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	802085  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM
rc-plane

I guess its just my cg then right? I love the plane it just didnt float. if I get it fixed then I might like this plane even more!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Newalan

Hello to all!

Greetings

Dirk
Hi Osnabruecker,

You should get good performance with the G20 albeit a little heavier than the glow engine but not a great deal. We have two at our club here in England, mine has OS120 two stroke and my friend has G20.

Mine performs just a little better than my friend's on vertical, but otherwise they are identical in performance, but his fuel lasts longer than mine.

Whatever you do, ignore the CG instructions in the manual and set it up so that it balances just on the rear edge of the wing tube and you will find that is a very safe starting point.

Going by your name Osnabruecker You must be from Germany, I used to live in Osnabrueck few years ago in Belm, went to fly at Achmer

The seagull Yak is a fantastic plane, after a while you will probably find that the Pilot becomes detached and you will have to glue him back.

Alan
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Osnabruecker

Hello Alan,

thanks for your reply

i am glad to hear that your friend is using the g 20 in a seagull yak. Do you know the weight of the plane? Is your friend using a tuning pipe or the standard muffler?
Can he torque with his yak? I know: So many questions

yes. i live in Osnabrueck! I am studying here at the university. I can fly only at the weekends in the near of Papenburg (my origin).

Dirk
Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Newalan

Hello Alan,

thanks for your reply

i am glad to hear that your friend is using the g 20 in a seagull yak. Do you know the weight of the plane? Is your friend using a tuning pipe or the standard muffler?
Can he torque with his yak? I know: So many questions

yes. i live in Osnabrueck! I am studying here at the university. I can fly only at the weekends in the near of Papenburg (my origin).

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

No he is not using a pipe and his plane weighs 4.2 kg that is about (9.24 lbs) he did lighten the plane a little by modifying the canopy and cutting away the heavy balsa and left the pilot out.

He can't torque his, I don't think it's the plane it's his ability, I can torque mine happily with OS Max 120 and mine weighs 1 lb less at 8.20 lbs (3.72kg) with no added weight to balance the plane, I was able to balance the plane by moving the battery behind the pilot.

Alan
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Thanks guys, you helped me greatly on deciding on which Yak to get. I will be powering mine with a Saito 120 and JR 7202 radio system ( with Hitec servos). According to posts on the CG, I'll start at the rear of the wing tube and go from there. Again THANKS. JL636 (Joe)
Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 PM
showtime101

All yak flyer's the voting has stopped on the contest. Let see how good i did. the top 10 will be posted the 16th

jason
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: JL636

Thanks guys, you helped me greatly on deciding on which Yak to get. I will be powering mine with a Saito 120 and JR 7202 radio system ( with Hitec servos). According to posts on the CG, I'll start at the rear of the wing tube and go from there. Again THANKS. JL636 (Joe)

Something that all Yak owners should be aware of is the weakest point in that model is the undercarriage where it's bolted on to the fuselage.

On a dead stick landing in long grass mine parted company with the fuselage, it would appear that the ply plate it mounts on has not got much of an area for glue. I modified mine by providing more surface area for glue by adding some scrap balsa in strategic places.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 PM
torkrollin

i would have to say that pretty much all 3D and sport ARFS' nowadays have that problem. some have it worse than others, any of the Funtanas, showtime, etc.. I'm not picking on H9, as a matter of fact i own many H9 planes and love them.
we all want our planes to be as light as possible right? well every oz. counts. they try to shed weight anywhere they can.
MOST of the newer Seagull models planes are Excellent quality for the money, and great fliers. the Yak 54 is one of them. i was VERY impressed to see the quality of the hardware that came with this plane for the money. and yet there are still some parts that i have not used with their arfs and did not use on this one. the fuel tank stopper, and motor mount.
this is the only plane i have flown that i can fly 10 feet off the deck do several snap rolls and fly out knife edge.
the covering job was better than on my H9 33% edge 540!!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 PM
showtime101

you are right my showtime90 the gear come out. my friends funtana 100 came out.

jason
Old 11-17-2007, 03:40 PM
flycolorado

Well this one's ready for the sky. It did come out pretty heavy once you add all the foam for the batts, fuel tank and tubbing - 10.0 lbs flat dry. I'ts a good thing I have no plans to 3D this thing.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:01 PM
torkrollin

i have been flying my Yak with a Saito 100 because my 125 was in for repairs. after getting the 125 back on i may go back to the 100 because it flys so much better with the lighter weight 100.

flycolorado, you might want to seal those hinge lines, it is possible to lose an aileron control surface on this plane!! theres a video of one thats on this thread that had it happen.
you can get clear ultra cote from horizon hobby and no one will ever see it unless you point it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60187.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	805955  
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: torkrollin

i have been flying my Yak with a Saito 100 because my 125 was in for repairs. after getting the 125 back on i may go back to the 100 because it flys so much better with the lighter weight 100.

flycolorado, you might want to seal those hinge lines, it is possible to lose an aileron control surface on this plane!! theres a video of one thats on this thread that had it happen.
you can get clear ultra cote from horizon hobby and no one will ever see it unless you point it out.
The main reason for loosing any control surface is normally due to flutter at high speed caused by too much play in the linkage. Although sealing the ailerons may reduce the risk, it will not prevent it if too much play exists. (this is normally the case where the hole in the control horn is too big and the clevis is no longer a snug fit)

I normally pin the the hinges, and that is purely a safety precaution in case the oil and dirt gets in there and loosens up the glue holding the hinges. I may be wrong but that is how I was lead to believe by many experts.

I also believe that by sealing the control surface using the heat shrink material stiffens the control surface and thereby inducing more strain on servos.

I have had an aileron flutter on a model where the ailerons were sealed, I was lucky I did not loose the model as I instantly reduced the throttle and therefore the speed. The culprit was too much play in the linkage.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
flycolorado

You are correct, I was planning on sealing them (I happen to have a roll of the yellow) based on my less than stellar hinge job. Can you seal them with a standard sealing iron or do you have to use the little fine tipped ones? Has anyone noticed the play in the wings when you attach them? It seems you could have a slightly different incodence in each wing. I may put my incodence meter on it and see if it's possible to allow this to happen when installing the wings. I've heard of people setting it, then gluing small blocks on the fuse near the trailing edge to give you a stop to set the wing against while tightening the wing bolts. I would think it would change your aileron trim each time if the wings didn't go on the same each time... Could be just my worry wart style of thinking though.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 PM
torkrollin

i used a regular style heat iron to put mine on. just cut a strip about 1" in width and as long as the hinge line. fold it in half so that the backing of the ultra cote is on the outside of the fold. i just run it against the edge of a table so it will have a crease down the center. then use a credit card and push it down into the hinge line. when you get it like you want pull the aileron down, to give you more room to work with the iron.
mine dosent have any play in the wings.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM
jvino

fly colorado,

what do you have in it for a motor?? I have a saito 125 in mine and it came in at 8 1/2 lbs all up no fuel. I did upgrade to carbon gear & tube. I removed the pilot and balsa mount he sits on. I also have li ion power. It seems to fly well but still seems heavy in the air. I can only imagine it at 10#
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: torkrollin

i used a regular style heat iron to put mine on. just cut a strip about 1" in width and as long as the hinge line. fold it in half so that the backing of the ultra cote is on the outside of the fold. i just run it against the edge of a table so it will have a crease down the center. then use a credit card and push it down into the hinge line. when you get it like you want pull the aileron down, to give you more room to work with the iron.
mine dosent have any play in the wings.

Hi,

Earlier when I talked about the flutter on the control surface I did not mean play in the wing I meant the play in the control surfaces, the way to test this is to switch on your TX and RX and gently grab hold of the aileron or elevator and move it gently up and down with your fingers (not by radio signal).

You will find that there is roughly about 1/16 (about 1mm) play due to backlash on servo gears, if too much play here than either your servo teeth are getting worn or are worn, or you have a slack in your control linkage.

Now if the hole in the control horn is too large and the the clevis pin is a loose a fit say by another 0.5 mm each end than the total slack has just gone up by another 1mm.

In a bad situation I have seen the slack to be as much as 3-4 mm (disaster) this is why most people prefer two servos, one on each aileron instead of bell-crank which introduces further slack. More mechanical connections=slack in the linkage
Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
flycolorado

I have the SPE26cc gasser, I had Lipo's but decided to go conventional batts, I pulled the pilot but still have all the balsa. Everything else is stock. From what I've read 8 1/2 lbs is light for this plane.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 AM
showtime101

For the zenoah contest with the g20ei they still have not posted the top 10. I would really like to know how i did. if any one out there see the results please make a post and i will get it. I have my seagull yak 54 in it. its called seagull yak 54 all the one that are flying inverted and knife edge. everyone have a good thanksgiving and be safe on the roads if your driving.

jason
Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM
newguykevin

Hi Everyone,

I have read through all the threads on this topic and there are some really interesting ans useful
tips and comments.
I am considering using a CRRC 26 gas motor in this plane. Has anyone flown with this setup and
if so, does this plane and engine have reasonable 3D possibilities? I am looking at trying the 3D thing
out and love the look of this YAK.

Please let me know if this is a good option.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: newguykevin

Hi Everyone,

I have read through all the threads on this topic and there are some really interesting ans useful
tips and comments.
I am considering using a CRRC 26 gas motor in this plane. Has anyone flown with this setup and
if so, does this plane and engine have reasonable 3D possibilities? I am looking at trying the 3D thing
out and love the look of this YAK.

Please let me know if this is a good option.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi,

CRRC 26 is a bad choice, this engines will give you nothing but headaches, I had a the bigger version CRRC 45 CDI which was fine to start with then the trouble started, had to spend a lot of money to change things like Ignition Module Spark Plugs and a lot of wasted flying time trying to get the Engine to perform properly. CRRC engines look good but beauty is only skin deep. The chinese have a long way to go to produce a good engine and when they do they may not be so cheap.

Yes they are cheap to buy compared to other makes of engine, but it's a false economy I would stick with popular names like DA or Zenoah.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
showtime101

you will like the zenoah g20ei i have this in my yak with a 16x6 prop. fly's great.

jason

see my pictures in my hanger and on zenoah contest. seagull yak 54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.