Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig's new Waco SRE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig's new Waco SRE

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Mustang314
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig's new Waco SRE

ORIGINAL: rcten

Maynardrupp,
I read back in this forum that they recessed the servos and it is true, the only problem is they havn't updated the assembly manual to reflex this change, however it is a no brainer with the parts supplied and the size of the servo openings in the wing.
Certainly not in the one I received two weeks ago. Sure wish they had.
Fred
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

A YKS-6, I can hardly wait . MM
Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 AM
maynardrupp

I don't really understand the statements about "internal servos". This airplane is not a kit, so the servo rails are already installed and waiting for your servos. You certainly could cut the area out, make a plate and reinforcement to rotate the servo , mount it to the cover plate, and it would then go internal with only the arm exposed through a slot. I have not seen any documentation on this mod and it would require cutting up the covered wing. If they ever do offer this great airplane as a kit, I would be the first in line to buy one. I love to build and have built 2 of SIG's sumpin extra.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

I don't really understand the statements about "internal servos". This airplane is not a kit, so the servo rails are already installed and waiting for your servos. You certainly could cut the area out, make a plate and reinforcement to rotate the servo , mount it to the cover plate, and it would then go internal with only the arm exposed through a slot. I have not seen any documentation on this mod and it would require cutting up the covered wing. If they ever do offer this great airplane as a kit, I would be the first in line to buy one. I love to build and have built 2 of SIG's sumpin extra.
Maynardrupp,
If you are looking for documentation on this modification, look at my posts #196 page 8 and #352 page 15 of this thread and you will see how I recessed the flap servos and used covers on the ailerons. You should have no trouble doing the same with your building skills. It really does improve the looks. If you would like other photos I will be happy to provide them. Cheers.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
MormonMike

Well, what to do about this flexable muffler pipe. It cracks about an inch from the engine head. Of course, a $40 refund from the LHS is'nt going to happen. And this is just from two ten minute flights. Sure, it looks good with the muffler and all tucked up under the cowl but, ya know, Maybe it'd be more practical to install an RC Specialties type "Turbo-Muffler". Only the very end of the exhaust pipe would protrude from under the cowl and what the heck, it's only twice as much more than the flex tube cost. Let's do it and I'll let you guys know how it works out. Seeya, MM
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
skylarkmk1

MM,

Try one of the Silicon Rubber exhaust connectors for tuned pipes and such at the crack. It should absorb the vibration causing the crack. Cut the flex off off at that point and smooth both ends and install the coupler. A whole lot cheaper than a new muffler. If it does not work, it is only a couple of bucks.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:33 PM
MormonMike

OK, We''ll see. MM
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
maynardrupp

My first one also broke at the same point, just beyond the cylinder head. I then broke the engine infurther with the stock exhaust tube. I also leaned the low speed quite a bit. Now I tried all kinds of silicone heat resistant tubing and model car tubing to repair the broken tube. All failed. We then cleaned the whole area and silver soldered it. This also failed. I finally bit the bullet and bought another new $40.00 flex pipe. This time I snipped a 2" long 1/4" wide strip of soft aluminum sheet about .035" thick. This easily wrapped around the flex pipe and I attached it to a motor mount bolt. This seemed to absorb or dampen the vibrations that broke the first one. I now have about 40 flights on the SRE and the pipe is fine.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
MormonMike

Yup, I had an idea it was vibration. Since it'd cost another $40 bucks for a new pipe, I went ahead and ordered a Turbo Muffler instead. No big thing, MM
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Yup, I had an idea it was vibration. Since it'd cost another $40 bucks for a new pipe, I went ahead and ordered a Turbo Muffler instead. No big thing, MM
Can you hide the "Turbo Muffler" or will it stick out? The system on the plans really works perfect after I added the vibration absorber strap and broke the engine in.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
MormonMike

Maynard, I took rough measurments, appears to just barely fit and then I'll install a silicone exhaust extension routed to where the first muffler was at. Just luv those TurboHeader mufflers. I also appreciate your concern. This is not one of those "Chinsey-Kiddie" ARF's and deserves serious respect. I promise it will be a very neat install. I think I'll try to post a photo when it's done, maybe about a week till I recieve it. Seeya then MM
Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Warbird 01

Nice thread guys. I really like the look of this plane. I have been looking at the Pacific Gee Bee Y and happen to come across this plane. My question is: is there a copy of the build manual posted online anywhere? I always like to read them to see what all comes with the kit, and what "extras" I will need to invest in. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Shawn
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 PM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: Warbird 01

Nice thread guys. I really like the look of this plane. I have been looking at the Pacific Gee Bee Y and happen to come across this plane. My question is: is there a copy of the build manual posted online anywhere? I always like to read them to see what all comes with the kit, and what "extras" I will need to invest in. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Shawn
Hi Shawn,
I own both of the planes you are considering. I like them both very much as both are very high quality ARF's. The Waco has the best manual I have seen bar none. I don't think that it is available online except that SIG may list it in the parts section of their WebSite if you wish to purchase a copy. As far as extras are concerned you will need very little as SIG has provided a very nice hardware package that adds greatly to the scale looks you see here on this thread. You will want the muffler flex pipe extension if using the Saito FA100 or similar engine. A dummy radial engine and pilot is another nice addition. Standard servos work for all controls. I added wing servo covers but the new kits are supposed to include these.......check with SIG to be sure. This thread shows other nice touches that are easy to do and really add to the scale appearence of this already great looking and flying airplane.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Warbird 01

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the Waco for right now with the satio engine. I have found, that most of the time, when they show an engine, it is best to use it. I'm not sure if you are into electrics, but check out Pilot-1. They have several 1/8 scale golden age airplanes including a Waco YCS 6 and a Wendell-Williams Model 44. Now if someone would just come out with a Travel Air Mystery Ship. Happy Flying!

Shawn
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
MikeL@Sig

ORIGINAL: silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: Warbird 01

Shawn
Hi Shawn,
I own both of the planes you are considering. I like them both very much as both are very high quality ARF's. The Waco has the best manual I have seen bar none. I don't think that it is available online except that SIG may list it in the parts section of their WebSite if you wish to purchase a copy. As far as extras are concerned you will need very little as SIG has provided a very nice hardware package that adds greatly to the scale looks you see here on this thread. You will want the muffler flex pipe extension if using the Saito FA100 or similar engine. A dummy radial engine and pilot is another nice addition. Standard servos work for all controls. I added wing servo covers but the new kits are supposed to include these.......check with SIG to be sure. This thread shows other nice touches that are easy to do and really add to the scale appearence of this already great looking and flying airplane.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I will email you a copy of the Build Manual.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
maynardrupp

Nice going, Mike L. You guys have a really nice company. I love my Waco SRE and fly my Sumthin' Extra about three times a week. Great airplanes. I do wish you would offer the SRE as a kit though. I love to build. Thanks for helping that guy out!!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
silver.kiwi

Hello fans of SIG's Waco SRE,

I thought I'd pass on the sad news of the death of Scott Christensen who was the designer of this great ARF. I learned of his passing from the latest issue of Model Aviation which did a very nice biographical sketch of him. A member of the AMA Hall of Fame, Scott was a very talented modeler and contributed immensely to the hobby and will be sorely missed. I was privileged to have his help and guidance while assembling my own Waco and his posts on this forum will live on to help those that follow.

Silver Kiwi
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Didg

That is very sad news.

Didg.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
kvlasblom

A very sad loss. Thank you for letting us know here.
I also had some very helpful and friendly emails from him.
My condoleances to all of his friends and family.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
maynardrupp

I was very saddened to read that piece in Model Aviation. Scott was a big help when I was solving the startup problems with my Waco. Thanks to Scott, my Waco is a great flying and fun model. I also talked to him at length about the SIG Sumthin" Extra. This was Scott's first design and what a winner it is. Most of the members of our club have at least one of these great planes. We put floats on them for our weakly float fly. They make a great float plane and, for some reason, Scott's little airplane does the full sportsman program nicely, even with floats. We can throw that plane in the back seat of a car fully assembled. Great design Scott. Rest in peace my friend.[&o]
Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
cjtyped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a right wheel pant and a new cowling for this plane. Have contacted Sig; cowlings not in stock. Can someone help me?
Thank You
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
rcten

Maiden my Sig SRE today, powered by Technopower 7cyl B. 2.0 cu in. turning 16x8 Graupner at 7000 static, flew like an angel needed alittle up and right trim, and yes she doe's like to nose over. Will try to get video in future.

Rcten
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
kvlasblom

Rcten,

Would love to see your video (or pictures )
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 AM
rcten

Here's some photo's of engine installation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50125.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1199322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54991.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1199323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84812.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1199324  
Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
silver.kiwi

VERY IMPRESSIVE! I can only imagine the magical music that those 7 cylinders mustmake. A video would be very nice please. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.