Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 Warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hanger 9 Warbirds

With all the new Hanger 9 Warbird ARF's I was wondering which one would be the one to look at that an OS FX.61 would power nicely, and which one (maybe besides the P51 trainer) is the one to look at for ease of flying and landing.

I guess what I'm asking is which one is the peach of the bunch for an OS.61?

Thanks,
Sheldon
Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New Hanger 9 Warbirds

All of their sixty size warbirds will eaisly accept that engine. That is what they are designed for. As far as ease of flying, they are all very easy flying planes. Go with the one that most appeals to you.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
aussiesteve

I have flown 4 of them and these are my thoughts

(and I am sure that this will trigger the usual "I have that model and it is perfect" responses)

When I refer to ease of flight I am referring to the whole flight from ground to air and back to ground (and still flyable).

Corsair - the most difficult to fly due to low speed handling characteristics (this was not my model and I only had 2 flights of it so wasn't fully used to it)
Spitfire - the 2nd most difficult to fly - especially if you get into a flat spin (and it never flew again[&o])
P47 - the 2nd easiest to fly (& a nice looking plane as well)
P40 - the easiest to fly

They are all excellent models and I have certainly flown worse ones. As Hellcat716 said - they will all fly fine with that engine - go for what your heart desires.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Thanks for the input. I see by their specs that they all have slightly different wing areas and thus I knew the flight performance was going to be different. I actually like all of them and would love to have the whole squadron but hey I'm not that rich! I do have a .61 that needs a home and my wife asked about Christmas presents so that's why I was looking for input. I hate crashing a present.....not just my tears then!

Thanks Again,

Sheldon
Old 12-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Does anyone know if these P-40's & P-47's have flaps???
Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

They do not have flaps. The only sixty size Hangar 9 warbird that have flaps is their Spitfire that they just released.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Sheldon!

I reviewed their 60 size Miss America P-51 two years ago and it is a gem. It doesn't have flaps, but it floats like it does.

Here's the review if you want more info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=444
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the corsair (again in my opinion ) is one of the H9 best gems to fly , large wing area , light wing loading , it will glide forever , I have CJ gear and a full interior in mine and I am constantly overshooting the runway , plane flys and lands great
Old 12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spitfire has larger wing area then the P-40, P47, Mustang, and Hellcat. With it also having flaps, I cannot for the life of me see why it would be harder to fly then any of the others unless it was not balanced properly or not powered with an adequate engine.
wing area:
Spitfire: 751
Corsair: 752
P-40: 709.4
Mustang: 745
Hellcat: 709.4
P-47: 727.5

Of all the H9 warbirds, only the corsair has a marginally higher wing area by 1 inch. The design of the gull wing though makes it more likely to tip stall at low speeds compared to other straight wing types.
As far as the Spitfire, any of the threads relative to this plane(here on rcu and on rcgroups), for those that have flown it, all say it flies well. I am not saying there cant be anything wrong with it and am not calling it perfect, because its not. But it definietly is not harder to fly then the others.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Kahoq, I have to agree with you on the wing loading thing. My first choice was the Spitfire because of the flaps and of course looks but Aussiesteve raised some caution. I'll maybe check into it a bit more this week. In the end I'm guessing it will be the P-47 or the Spit.

Thanks agian for all your help!

Sheldon
Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
aussiesteve

Hey guys,
Don't get me wrong - I liked the Spit. In fact I liked all 4 of the models. The death of the Spit was due to a spin all the way into the ground. It didn't recover. It only had about 10 flights on it. Other than that t was as good to fly as the others as far as "Scale" flying is concerned. The flaps certainly helped with the landings. In reality, I think that this series of planes from Hangar 9 are all pretty darned good, it is very much a case of getting which model is dearest to your heart.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Do you know what caused the spin? was it hardware failure? (servo, etc.) was the demise of the Spit from a bad design?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These forums are going to be the death of me.

Just picked up the H9 P47 Thunderbolt from my best LHS. They got it for me at a price I couldn't beat mailorder, which adds to the smile I can't seem to wipe away. Darn that sucker looks good. Checkerboard cowling is nice. Invasion stripes set it off. Picked up an OS91 to go in it. Got one in a recently finished Sukhoi 31 that is an awesome aerobatic blur. Today I was having to redo the wing hold down in the puppy. It's been marginally failing every outing. And it had a good excuse for it from the stress. And an even better excuse from the lousy wood failing.

I figure to handle the Thunderbolt as "gently".

And looking at the wing structure it looks to be more than strong enough. Good looks..... and strong..... can't wait.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
aussiesteve

Well then - I guess I can sum it up in two words

"DUMB THUMBS"

The flight went like this (With one of the teenagers with me)
Take off - normal and great
Couple of low passes
Couple of loops rolls etc - All really good

A comment from me - "I wonder how it spins"
A comment from the Teenager - "Are you sure you want to do that Dad?" (Now I like a challenge)
A Comment from me - "Watch this"
The final comment from me - "F--k" (Followed by silence for a couple of seconds then out came the plastic bags)

Nup - Can't blame that one on the manufacturer. I believe that many Spitfire models suffer from spin recovery and I knew that up front - My Bad!!!