Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sig Rascal 110

Freedog,
    Too bad you are so far away. I'm in SoCal. We could split the shipping cost if we bought more than one set. And Phakur, do you have any pictures of what you are talking about? Or can you explain what you mean by "landing gear straps"? I'm all for a cheaper alternative. As I tell my kids, "I'm spending my money as fast as I can, whether I want to or not."
    Mike MacLean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike-

Take a look at this.

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=811/101.0.1.1

I just use 3/16 wire 36 inch long, and bend it in a vise (or around a 2x4) to fit around the inside of the landing gear (all the way around), cut as required, and then use these straps to hold it in place. No straps on top as it will interfere with the fit of the gear to the fuse. I just drill holes for small bolts (with nut of course) to hold it in place. Depending on plane size, you might need 4 of these straps per each leg of the landing gear.

I've done this on 60 and 120 size planes and it works fine and strengthens/stiffens the gear bur still gives on a landing.

My local hobby shop carries the 3/16 wireyou can probably find it around.

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that is smart! It's even cheaper that the standoffs that were available here in the US. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In all the Rascal 110's I've seen at other fields and at our own Rascal 110 fly-in's I've never seen or heard of the landing gear not being strong enough to withstand normal landings or some that are not so good. The main gear on the Rascal is very strong. If this is your first Rascal 110 I would try it out before you go through the trouble and expense of adding the reinforcement to the gear. I'm not saying that the gear can't be bent I'm just saying that it's very strong and IMO it does not need to be reinforced.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an original Rascal (no flaps) so I don't know if the old landing gear is any different than the new version. I'll give it a try without first, but my landing skills may require the reinforcement anyway. ;^)
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I meant to say, I have an original Rascal 110 still in the box. Just would like to put it together right the first time. It's going to be more expensive to build the second one at their present price.
    Mike MacLean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rrengineer,

The main gear on the new Rascal 110 is the same as the older version. If you have a simulator you can practice those landings before taking a chance on damaging your new Rascal.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fellow members,
    I have been flying the Rascal 110 since 2006 with an Enya R120 and the landing gear was my main issue. I fixed the landing gear issue with 3/16 music wire held in place with 5/16 U-bolts that I purchased at ACE Hardware. It's been working for me for many years without a problem.
    Jim Meighan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zippi

rrengineer,

The main gear on the new Rascal 110 is the same as the older version. If you have a simulator you can practice those landings before taking a chance on damaging your new Rascal.
    The field I flew at had obstructions at both ends and was not so long. The first time I bent the Lg wAs when the engine died right as I started climb out after takeoff. The engine died when the plane was 15 feet or so off the ground and the nose up say 30 degrees or so. Many planes would have been trash if that happened. I was able to get the nose down and the plane level but with no ground speed and still sinking fast. The landing gear simply collapsed. Many of us fly at what is nothing more than a abandoned crop fields and they are pretty rough. The gear on planes this big takes a beating.
    Ron Mallonee Waco Brother #130
    \"A man of good character is known for what he does when no one is looking.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I would rather the gear give before something more major breaks, but maybe something that snaps back better would be nice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

I guess I would rather the gear give before something more major breaks, but maybe something that snaps back better would be nice.
    That's the purpose of the piano springs. Very effective.
    Ron Mallonee Waco Brother #130
    \"A man of good character is known for what he does when no one is looking.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to agree with JeffinTD. I'd rather the landing gear do it's job and take all the shock instead of tearing out the bottom of the plane. That's why landing gear has nylon or small metal bolts so they will shere off on impact and save the bottom of the plane. king_arthur1953, didn't realize you were flying at an abandoned crop field. I'd say your on your own there and if you go home with a plane with no damage then it's a good day. I still have to say that your average flyer at your average field really doesn't need the reinforcement on the gear. Your flying site is the exception to the rule.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi,

How's the build coming along. Did the Syssa give you much problems? Would you order a different size standoffs or were you happy with the 5.675 size? How did the blind nut install go?? Seems that they might be a pain to get to.

As far as the wing hinge problem goes, I received a new wing and it is much better than my original. I measured again and my left aileron was a bit under an inch but the right aileron was around 1/2 inch. I was going to cut them out and re-hinge but Mike offered the new wing so I took it.

Upon further inspection of the fuselage, I found a big crack in the bottom side support sheeting and one of the stick braces came un-glued at the bottom where the cracked sheeting is. I don't think this was a shipping problem as the shipping box was in good shape. I'm a builder so I think I'll fix this myself instead of bothering Mike/Becky again. Hopefully I can get my hand/arm that far back the fuselage because I don't want to cut the covering if at all possible. If I would have noticed this problem in addition to my aileron hinge problem I would have sent the whole airplane back. When you spend a hundred or two for a plane you don't mind doing a little repair but when you spend $550 you should NOT have to do repairs right out of the box.

Zippi I'm following your posts and asking you all these questions because I'm leaning towards the Syssa. I'm finishing a LT-25 build now and then I have a Rascal 40 to put together and then I'll get to the big Rascal. Up here in Erie, PA we have a LOOONG build season!!

Thanx for all your input Zippi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freedogg

Zippi,

*How's the build coming along. Did the Syssa give you much problems? Would you order a different size standoffs or were you happy with the 5.675 size?* How did the blind nut install go?? Seems that they might be a pain to get to.

As far as the wing hinge problem goes, I received a new wing and it is much better than my original. I measured again and my left aileron was a bit under an inch but the right aileron was around 1/2 inch. I was going to cut them out and re-hinge but Mike offered the new wing so I took it.

Upon further inspection of the fuselage, I found a big crack in the bottom side support sheeting and one of the stick braces came un-glued at the bottom where the cracked sheeting is. I don't think this was a shipping problem as the shipping box was in good shape. I'm a builder so I think I'll fix this myself instead of bothering Mike/Becky again. Hopefully I can get my hand/arm that far back the fuselage because I don't want to cut the covering if at all possible. If I would have noticed this problem in addition to my aileron hinge problem I would have sent the whole airplane back. When you spend a hundred or two for a plane you don't mind doing a little repair but when you spend $550 you should NOT have to do repairs right out of the box.

Zippi I'm following your posts and asking you all these questions because I'm leaning towards the Syssa. I'm finishing a LT-25 build now and then I have a Rascal 40 to put together and then I'll get to the big Rascal. Up here in Erie, PA we have a LOOONG build season!!

Thanx for all your input Zippi
    freedogg,

I haven't had much time to work on my Rascal as work and my grandson's basketball games seem to alway get in the way. The stand-off's that I got were as close as you can get. I can't remember but I think I only had to add 3/8" or 1/2" spacers. There are no blind nut. You run bolts in from the inside of the fuse into the stand-off's. I't hard to get your hand and an allen wrench in there but I got it done. I did get the manual choke hooked up and I'm ready to put the cowl on next. All I have to cut on the cowl is the bottom to clear the two exhaust tubes and a small hole on the side of the cowl where I can get in and adjust the carb if need be at the field. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the windshield. All of the original Rascal 110's around here had cracked and broken windshields from the screws that hold it on and the vibration from a gasser. I've tried cutting small pieces of fuel tubing to put under the screw heads but it always come out. Anyone have any new idea's that they have done on other planes?
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skip the screw holes and use a thin bead of silicone to glue the plastic on. I've got a new Rascal coming also. Guess I'll try the electric thing for a change. Jerry.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi do you have a simulator that has a Rascal??? I'm using Real Flight 4.5 and can't find a Rascal. I've searched the swap pages but didn't come up with anything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rascal 110 for sale on Ebay. Just saw a Rascal 110 on a new Ebay auction with a starting bid of $195, local pick up in California. No engine, cowl not cut, looks good at $195 vs $550. Anyone on the "left" coast interested???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am. I'm only an hour away from there, but it's only the first day of a six day auction.
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freedogg

Zippi do you have a simulator that has a Rascal???* I'm using Real Flight 4.5 and can't find a Rascal. I've searched the swap pages but didn't come up with anything.
    I have the G5.5 but no Rascal. Haven't used it much this winter. Ask the guys on the swap pages to make you one. They made one for my Eflite Eratic 3D.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All of the original Rascal 110's around here had cracked and broken windshields from the screws that hold it on and the vibration from a gasser. I've tried cutting small pieces of fuel tubing to put under the screw heads but it always come out. Anyone have any new idea's that they have done on other planes?

Very small O-ings, or I have found small rubber backed washers at Ace Hardware, but they were approx 1/4" dia.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 52larry52

Rascal 110 for sale on Ebay. Just saw a Rascal 110 on a new Ebay auction with a starting bid of $195, local pick up in California. No engine, cowl not cut, looks good at $195 vs $550. Anyone on the ''left'' coast interested???
    I have one on there as well for $325 with a newly converted Ryobi 31cc gasser on the nose and it has new Power HD metal gear servos installed as well. I think it is against RCU rules for me to link to it, but if you do a search you will find it. I don't normally post in the forums any items I have for sale, but when a new one is $550...I thought I would let folks know about a bit more affordable alternative if the $550 is a bit out of reach for somebody wanting a Rascal 110. This particular one I just repaired the nose and installed the newly converted engine...so I havn't flown it since the repair and conversion, but if you do a search on youtube and punch in Ryobi 31 Rascal you will find a video of my old Red/White Rascal 110 that was setup the exact same way and it was a real nice flyer. The real nice thing about the Ryobi 31cc and the Rascal is that the entire engine fits under the cowl due to the fact that the engine has a rear carb and exaust. Plus I set the firewall back about 2" which enables the plane to balance perfect with that engine. Just a fantastic setup for a Rascal 110 in my opinion. There may be some photos of my Ryobi 31 and Rascal 110 projects buried somewhere in the engine conversion area of the RCU forums.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got a chance to work on my Rascal this morning. I got the rudder glued in, manual choke set up and secured in, and the cowl is cut and installed and came out really well. I haven't cut the hole yet for carb adjustments. I ran into a snag. Since the end of the crankshaft is not tapped for the spinner bolt I have no way to attached the spinner. Once I put the spinner back plate, prop, washer and nut there are no threads exposed to screw on an adapter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58115.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1720176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt60735.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1720177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va72605.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1720178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf95591.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1720179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fq90430.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	1720180  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wm84962.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1720181  
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! What a nice fit with that Syssa.
    Mike MacLean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Opened mine up yesterday and was surprised at the quality. Looks very nice. Many of the parts look to be the same supplier as Aeroworks as they are identical. I see what you mean about the throw on the ailerons. Doesn't seem like much throw but I guess I'll wait until I fly it to judge that. Overall though a nice ARF but an expensive one. I'm going to build my first large scale electric using this airframe. Rimfire 160 and 12S, should be interesting getting all that in the airframe. Jerry.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few pics of the control linkage I fiished this morning. Just don't seem to have a whole lot of time so I get an hour or two here and there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj21331.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1723256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20189.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1723257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot48620.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1723258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx65998.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1723259  
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast