Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 PM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AK-Models GOOD? BAD? UGLY?

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

ORIGINAL: JEFFHINES73

Thanks for the honest reply. I'm wondering where are the elevator servo's, in the fus or in the stabs. How about the rudder servo or servo's? It sounds llike they are in the fusalage, can it be set up with a pull pull?

Is the cowl mounted on a cowl ring system?

lastly, what is the finished weight with DL or DA-50 and lipo's, is 15.5 pounds really possible?

I'm used to flying the origional 87'' EF Yak, it's getting old and I need a backup. I bought the 88" but do not like what they did with the design. I especially don't like the way it flys.

John
The Yak comes with a nice pull pull system for the rudder. It even comes with extra push rods for a second rudder connection. I only use one rudder servo in the fuse with an 180 oz servo. It is plenty. Rudder will stand the plan on its nose with little effort.

The stiffener ring that I mentioned must be the cowl ring system you ask about. It is good and stiff and all ready to go. I was impressed with its fit.

Not real sure about the weight. I think I am around 16 1/2. 15 1/2 most likely would be a stretch, but at the weight I am it flies real light. I have one 1650 nickel on the ignition and one 2100 nickel on the receiver. Lipos will be a place to shave weight.

I bet it will fly just like your 87" EF.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:30 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: remcl1

Thanks for the honest reply. I'm wondering where are the elevator servo's, in the fus or in the stabs. How about the rudder servo or servo's? It sounds llike they are in the fusalage, can it be set up with a pull pull?

Is the cowl mounted on a cowl ring system?

lastly, what is the finished weight with DL or DA-50 and lipo's, is 15.5 pounds really possible?

I'm used to flying the origional 87'' EF Yak, it's getting old and I need a backup. I bought the 88" but do not like what they did with the design. I especially don't like the way it flys.

John
The Yak comes with a nice pull pull system for the rudder. It even comes with extra push rods for a second rudder connection. I only use one rudder servo in the fuse with an 180 oz servo. It is plenty. Rudder will stand the plan on its nose with little effort.

The stiffener ring that I mentioned must be the cowl ring system you ask about. It is good and stiff and all ready to go. I was impressed with its fit.

Not real sure about the weight. I think I am around 16 1/2. 15 1/2 most likely would be a stretch, but at the weight I am it flies real light. I have one 1650 nickel on the ignition and one 2100 nickel on the receiver. Lipos will be a place to shave weight.

I bet it will fly just like your 87" EF.

Sounds good so far, where do the elevator servo's mount, in the stab or on the side of the fusalage? Re: the cowl ring, can I assume this ring is what holds the cowl to the fusalage with 4 screws? I love cowl ring mounts!

John
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
remcl1

Elevator servos are in the fuse. You can assume that about he cowl ring. The ring has notches in it that accept tabs that protrude from the fuse. They have blind nuts that are already installed.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 PM
kaydeejay

OK here are my thoughts on this I might be right I might be wrong

Some of the guys on here just need to get over it . If you dont like alex dont do bussiness with him > The more you complain and carry on doesnt look good to anyone . yes I know somthings maybe he didnt do right ........................

jeff
So Jeff, if you had received confirmation (twice) that the shipping was free only to receive an email that said:

"Dear Keith,
Due to wrong weight entered on the website shipping cost is not accurate.
This item should have been at 1lb. To calculate shipping. Actual shipping by USPS is $5.50. Please let me know if I
have your permission to correct your order.
Alex @ AKM

would you not have been slightly annoyed?
But I gave Alex the go-ahead anyway, simply indicated I was irritated.

"Alex,
Yes, please correct and ship. But this is ANOTHER less than satisfactory experience with your business!
The web-site said "free shipping", my order confirmation said "free shipping", now you want $5.50.
What reaction other than irritation do you expect?
I suggest you fix your web-site.
Keith Jones"

I would be surprised and a little disappointed if you felt that the comment deserved:

"Hi Keith,
With all the respect, I do not want less than satisfied customers.
I will cancel your order so you will not have to experience any irritation any longer.

Alex @ AKM"

THAT is all this is about.

Contrary to what most businesses would do to resolve the issue, (assuming there WAS an issue - I had OK'd the payment!) Alex obviously felt he had to turn this into a confrontation.
It was his choice to go down this road, not mine.
And, as previously posted, it was Alex who requested I post this, including his emails, on this forum!
Still shaking my head over that one!!
Anyway, enough - this horse is dead!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Rube Goldberg

GOOD GRIEF!

To the dude that had to pay a whopping $5.50 shipping to get his canopy, even though he was under the impression that the shipping was free, and the fellow that broke a piece of landing gear wire in a vise:

BOO HOO HOO! Get over it! Life really isn't fair! If you want proof, drive around the inner city of Detroit and count the people sleeping under cardboard boxes, or, better yet, ATTEND YOUR LOCAL SPECIAL OLYMPICS!

Now, does that put $5.50 and a piece of broken wire in perspective? I thought so!

That being said, I've bought several kits and nearly all my electronic speed controls from Alex EXCLUSIVELY, and every deal has been on the up and up. I am a very satisfied customer, and as a small business owner like Alex, I tend to try and support other small business owners when I can, and you have to admit he's got some cahonas for putting his reputation on the line with this thread. Good, bad, ugly.....I think the masses would agree the GOOD heavily outweigh the bad and the ugly.

Have a nice day and go fly an R/C plane!

Rube
(Dave down in MS)
Old 09-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I haven't bought a thing from AK. To overpriced. be that as it may, I have sent him countless emails askng stupid questions and all have been replied to by him very promptly.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
kaydeejay

ORIGINAL: Rube Goldberg

GOOD GRIEF!

To the dude that had to pay a whopping $5.50 shipping to get his canopy, even though he was under the impression that the shipping was free,
What part of:
"Alex, Yes, please correct and ship." did you not understand. I had no issue with the cost. I simply expressed irritation that I'd received TWO confirmations otherwise.
If that would not annoy you, even slightly, then you must be a saint.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: kaydeejay

ORIGINAL: Rube Goldberg

GOOD GRIEF!

To the dude that had to pay a whopping $5.50 shipping to get his canopy, even though he was under the impression that the shipping was free,
What part of:
"Alex, Yes, please correct and ship." did you not understand. I had no issue with the cost. I simply expressed irritation that I'd received TWO confirmations otherwise.
If that would not annoy you, even slightly, then you must be a saint.
Website is set to automatically send ONE order confirmation. I am not sure what you refer to when you say you got 2 confirmations.
Perhaps you confuse e-mail from me that I attached your order with for references… Please check.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
kaydeejay

Alex,does it really matter if I got one, two or ten confirmations saying "free shipping"??
I got my first order confirmation on-line at the time of my order at 11:00pm on Sept 3rd (when I entered my CC info). I did not print it as I saw this message in my Inbox almost immediately:

"Dear Customer,
Thank you for your order with AK-Models, we appreciate it very much.
Keep this order confirmation for your records.
Your order will be processed and shipped absolutely as soon as possible. FedEx shipment normally takes about 4-5
business days anywhere in the country, international orders take approximately 14 days on average.
Once FedEx accepts package from our warehouse in Iowa City, IA you will be receiving automated e-mail with tracking number from FedEx. Please keep this e-mail until you receive package and verify that it arrived without any damages.
If your item is damaged please contact AK-Models at [email protected] or call (319) 358-6911 as soon as possible,
including digital pictures of boxes and damaged items is always very helpful. Upon arrival please be sure to inspect your order, no returns, claims or exchanges can be made after 30 days after arrival of the order.

(I love this bit) AK-Models striving to provided all of our customers with complete satisfaction. If there is anything we can do for you please be sure to let me know. We hope you enjoy your visit to our site and hope to see you and your friends come back for more.

Thank you.

CEO of AK-Models Inc.
Alex Kolyvanov

Order Number : 4689
Placed : 09/03/2007 22:58:42 EDT

Ship To: Bill To:
Keith Jones Keith Jones
[email protected] [email protected]
xxx-xxx-xxx xxx-xxx-xxxx

Address line 1 Address line 1
MI MI
US US

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMP-D16 CMP Canopy - Spitfire 90 1 $8.95 $8.95

Shipping: Free Shipping: $0.00

Sales Tax: $0.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $8.95
"

Automated or from Alex himself, it sure looks like a second confirmation to me.

And for all the folks reading this, the issue is NOT the cost of the shipping, it is the fact that Alex found it necessary to cancel my order because I said I was irritated when he asked me for $5.50 shipping after being told it was free. HE GOT MY OK!
Had he just processed my order after I gave him the OK then none of the subsequent BS would have happened and he probably would not have lost me as a customer.
There was absolutely no need for this to become a big deal!! He chose to make it so.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
2robinhood

Wow! sounds like about 2 unhappy people out of hundreds. Not bad! Now, I'd like to know about the 50cc Yak, has anybody built one, or is there a build thread. The price is right if it's a good plane. 14 dollars shipping??? I find it hard to believe

John
Just finished my 50cc Yak 54 today, 9/9/2007.
16lb 12oz with DL-50 and smoker.
Here is a thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6347096
Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
remcl1

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

Wow! sounds like about 2 unhappy people out of hundreds. Not bad! Now, I'd like to know about the 50cc Yak, has anybody built one, or is there a build thread. The price is right if it's a good plane. 14 dollars shipping??? I find it hard to believe

John
Just finished my 50cc Yak 54 today, 9/9/2007.
16lb 12oz with DL-50 and smoker.
Here is a thread.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post297544
I get server not found.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

You know, I just read this whole thing. I noticed that members who have been a round a few hundred posts or more have positive feed back. All the whiners just show up long enough to complain and disappear. Alex, I have'nt made a purchase but your doing fine. Things happen and you just can't please everyone. Now, how about a cut throat deal on that Giant Long EZ?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya know the best plane i have got from Alex so far is the 72WS Extra 300. The stabs needed some work for incidence before i glued them on but the plane has about 150 flights so far and no signs of anything coming loose including the covering. I did hit it with a heat gun though as i do all arf's maybe thats why?????

Been looking at that Katana now. Whats everyone think about it???
Pat
Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Alex on the original subject this post will be useless unless you take the majority of comments back to the supplier . Forget about Flymodel /low end , if a modeler buys those planes he must be prepared to bash . I got a Flymodel hellcat dirt cheap for the one main reason of simply basking it .

Now on the other hand --CMP -- there are so many good builds on these planes , there is one on the 73" P40 actice now in warbirds .Now if CMP released it like this in the beginning it would probably cost more .MOst modelers are fixing the counter balances in the tail to a more scale look , some add the split flaps ect , this one post from Norway is going all the way with great tweeks . hat is a great post to send to CMP

Same with the current FW190 bash , great tweeks .
From all the CMPs I have build I suggest , leave the hardware out , tell them to charge less , 2)add more fuse supports --too much tin canning when holding the fuse 3)leave decals and fake sticker rivots off the planes , again save money and let the modeler buys his own when we really hate sticker rivots .
Tell them to move the servo trays as far forward as possible so we can add interiors if we chose to do so . Most importantly , tell them to get the cg correect or at least withen a small range of error .
I know Jackie is very responsive to consumers and has answered my emails on numerous occasions so they may just listen .
I am looking forward to there new BF 109 release , hope its soon .

As far as your lasor cuts kits I cant think of any improvments outside of the on-line builds that are up to the builder to make , otherwise I plan on buying the SU27 , looks to be a real winner
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
kaydeejay

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

You know, I just read this whole thing. I noticed that members who have been a round a few hundred posts or more have positive feed back. All the whiners just show up long enough to complain and disappear. Alex, I have'nt made a purchase but your doing fine. Things happen and you just can't please everyone. Now, how about a cut throat deal on that Giant Long EZ?
Yup, I'm new here (at least as a poster, been a reader for awhile)
Newly registered because:
"I expected this kind of reply, this is why I DO NOT want you as a customer.
On top of what you want to do, please leave your comments here as well:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...%2Cgood/tm.htm
Bes sure to write it exactly as it happened (may be even included e-mails), as I will be watching.
Good luck.

Alex @ AKM"

and I haven't disappeared yet.

Matter of fact this is getting a little more interesting, seems that, to my surprise considering the amount involved, the BBB has validated my complaint:

"BBB CASE#: 32031798
Complaint filed by: Keith Jones (More)
Consumer Info NAME: Keith Jones
DAY PHONE: Removed
ADDRESS: Removed
EVE PHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]
FAX:

Complaint filed against: AK-Models Inc.
Business Info NAME: AK-Models Inc.
BBB MEMBER: NO
ADDRESS: 1458 Wetherby Dr. Iowa City, IA 52240
PHONE: 319 358-6911
FAX: 319 358-1399

Complaint status: Inform Business of Complaint (More)
Activity Date Activity Description
09/07/2007 Inform Business of Complaint
09/07/2007 Send Acknowledgement to Consumer
09/07/2007 Complaint Validated by BBB Operator
09/06/2007 Complaint Received by BBB"

Guess we'll have to see where this ends up!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM
jrjohn

I'm a firm believer in being able to say just about anything on these forums. Sometimes things get so personal it's like listening to somebody talk about their sex life and such personal problems. It's just not interesting. My advice to Alex is this. Stop arguing with these people!, they will wear you out man. If you don't reply, this crazy fight will end. That doesn't mean you won or lost, it just means your done airing this dirty laundry.

On liter note, I know I asked this before, I'm not sure if my question was totally understood. Has anybody mounted a DA or DL-50 on this plane, if so, did they have to open up the side of the cowl for the can of the stock muffler. A picture would be appreciated

Thank you

John
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Yup, I'm new here (at least as a poster, been a reader for awhile)
Newly registered because:
"I expected this kind of reply, this is why I DO NOT want you as a customer.
On top of what you want to do, please leave your comments here as well:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...%2Cgood/tm.htm
Bes sure to write it exactly as it happened (may be even included e-mails), as I will be watching.
Good luck.

Alex @ AKM"

and I haven't disappeared yet.

Matter of fact this is getting a little more interesting, seems that, to my surprise considering the amount involved, the BBB has validated my complaint:

"BBB CASE#: 32031798
Complaint filed by: Keith Jones (More)
Consumer Info NAME: Keith Jones
DAY PHONE: Removed
ADDRESS: Removed
EVE PHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]
FAX:

Complaint filed against: AK-Models Inc.
Business Info NAME: AK-Models Inc.
BBB MEMBER: NO
ADDRESS: 1458 Wetherby Dr. Iowa City, IA 52240
PHONE: 319 358-6911
FAX: 319 358-1399

Complaint status: Inform Business of Complaint (More)
Activity Date Activity Description
09/07/2007 Inform Business of Complaint
09/07/2007 Send Acknowledgement to Consumer
09/07/2007 Complaint Validated by BBB Operator
09/06/2007 Complaint Received by BBB"

Guess we'll have to see where this ends up!

Congratulations, You are the first one to ever report AK-Models Inc. to BBB.

BUT, You have made a mistake; my site is www.ak-model.com not www.akmodels.com
The one you submitted to BBB is pointing to SEX related site.
You must have gotten confused while being irritated.....

Please contact BBB and correct information.

Taking advice from John and posting last reply to "Keith Jones" case.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
kaydeejay

S'OK Alex, it isn't me you have to deal with anymore.
BBB wants a response from you by 9/24. Better get your story ready!
They have copies of ALL emails so you'd better stick to the truth.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
JEFFHINES73

What you want a medal or somthing your sir are a fool trying to run another small bussness down the ****er . Poeple like you make big compaines pack up and move out of the country to places like mexico and i bet your one of the first people to yell about you sir [:@] I wont say it cuz it would make me look as bad as you do .

Oh and what did you just make this account up to bag out AK models cuz all of the few post you have written are only on this thread go troll somplace else
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 PM
kaydeejay

Jeff, can I suggest you go back and read post No 265. I am here because Alex himself suggested I post on here! End of story.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 AM
JEFFHINES73

I have and trust me I wouldnt want some of the complainers on here as customers . So get off your high horse. Like I said before funny the only time you post is on this thread . things happen get over it and move on if you dont like alex dont deal with him its not like he is the only hobby shop in the states . He will survive cuz there are people out there who like him and thats that .
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 AM
JEFFHINES73

And whats this all about to me its somthing that doesnt need to be posted on here . This is private between you and alex not the whole world .
Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 AM
remcl1

And whats this all about to me its something that doesn't need to be posted on here . This is private between you and alex not the whole world .
The posts in this thread are suppose to be between the customer and Alex, not everyone else. The purpose of this thread is for dialouge between customer and Alex, not the whole world. Please stop posting your comments on his situation. If you stop posting he will stop replying: simple as that. Our comments on the Yak are really not appropriate for this thread because the topic is suppose to be how the customer was treated by Alex. The ARF coments are being allowed so what the heck.

The Yak cowl only needs to be cut on the bottom for the sparkplug wire and the pipe. No cuts on the side needed. Actually the head of the DL 50 fits in it when the plug of out. You need to make a hole large enough for cooling and that is way large enough for the pipe and spark plug, head clearance. You can not see any of the holes from either side. I will try to get better pics. This pic is not the can side, but it looks the same hole is for pipe only can is all in the cowl.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71666.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	760940  
Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM
JEFFHINES73

And whats this all about to me its something that doesn't need to be posted on here . This is private between you and alex not the whole world .
The posts in this thread are suppose to be between the customer and Alex, not everyone else. The purpose of this thread is for dialouge between customer and Alex, not the whole world. Please stop posting your comments on his situation. If you stop posting he will stop replying: simple as that. Our comments on the Yak are really not appropriate for this thread because the topic is suppose to be how the customer was treated by Alex. The ARF coments are being allowed so what the heck.

The Yak cowl only needs to be cut on the bottom for the sparkplug wire and the pipe. No cuts on the side needed. Actually the head of the DL 50 fits in it when the plug of out. You need to make a hole large enough for cooling and that is way large enough for the pipe and spark plug, head clearance. You can not see any of the holes from either side. I will try to get better pics. This pic is not the can side, but it looks the same hole is for pipe only can is all in the cowl.

sorry but when you post on here for the world to see you in turn make it public . So I cant post my comment but you can post about your Yak lol take your own adivce
Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 AM
jrjohn

Wow, thats great news! Thats the difference between me buying the plane or not buying the plane. I didn't buy the QQ yak because I would have to hog a big hole in the side of the cowl for the muffler can.

john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.