Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
gwulle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

gnirwin;
I am flying the Super Skybolt right now with a OS 70 4stroke. It's been my favorite so far. I was in the middle of building or should I say assembling a Great Planes Super Stearman and I put it back on the shelf when I opened this bad boy up. I got a magnifying glass and looked at this covering and it has some kind of weave in it and the finish, although it had a gloss finish to it is not nearly as bright a my planes with monocote. As a matter of fact, I looked at some monocote under the glass and and there is no pattern to it like the covering on the Cox Waco. The hardware package is better than most. One thing I noticed is that, in the slot where the vertical stab goes, there is a piece of wood the full length of the slot in the fuse so no damage can occur in shipment.More later,my fingers are cramping(LOL)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

Hey Bro.
Looks like you are really into that Super Skybolt. Hope all is well.
Frank
Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
gwulle

Frank;
Well i'm into another project now. This is some kind of nice ARF and this is my first thread to start. I have not had a kit get me this excited in a long time. I amgoing to have a ball with this one. Aren't you going to maiden the Extra Friday? Looking forward to hearing the results. See ya later brother.

G.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

weather permitting...forecast looking somewhat ominous but hopefully sometime during the weekend.
Later
F
Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
gwulle

I checked all four wing pieces,the fuse and the horozontial stab and elevator and there is no warpage and there is not a wrinkle or a crease anywhere on this plane. The only ARF I have ever seen that would match that is the 85" Yak I got from Aeroworks that cost $625.00 plus $75.00 freight. From what I have seen I believe this plane can be assembled in 15 hrs time, at the most.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM
gwulle

Stickbuilder;
Even though I am assembling a ARF Waco,can I still be considered for membership in the Waco Brotherhood and if so what would be my number,that is if you fellows will have me.(LOL)

Gaines
Old 12-20-2006, 11:09 PM
gwulle

gnirwin;
I forgot to mention that the hinges are CA. I am going to replace them fro Robart pin hinges due to the fact I will be using a gasser.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gaines,

Sure we'll have you. I think that Brotherhood #8 is available. go to the WACO Site in Vintage and Antique, and look around. Take the next one available, or if there is a number that you like, use that. Welcome aboard.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
tgrtal
My Feedback: (9)

G....keep us posted on the assembly of the Waco as I am very intrested as I received one last eve. via UPS. Wont start assemblying mine til sometime in Feb. or March as I have another project to do first, like a 35% Extra 260, Aero-Works. Good luck and will be watching your thread.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Tripp2loo
My Feedback: (15)

Got mine yesterday too.
Love Waco's, this will be my 3rd. The Sportsman Aviation .60 UPF Waco, is my every day favorite plane to fly, and just the other week I picked up a used Pica 1/6th Waco. This one needs quite a bit of work, way too much paint, and not that good a job of covering, but will make a good project for next winter.

So I opened the box and was immediately impressed. In fact, I had to clear the QQ 73 inch Yak off the bench just to get it out and look it over. I must admit, ( and I am the first one to Piss and Moan ) it looks great out of the box. All laser cut and fitted together very well. Doesn't like like they have skimped on the glue, (although I may add some more in places) and seems very strong, not any real flex in the fuse and just enough in he wings. The packaging was done well, nothing damaged, all arrived in perfect condition.
I have had many ARF's and beside the QQ 73 inch Yak, this is probably the best quality ARF I have seen. If I had to compare quality between this and the QQ Yak, the Yak has a better hardware package, either way great quality, and I would say worth spending the extra cash.

Hope this is not too much drivel I need to get the Yak finished in the next few days, so I can start on this Waco.

I have a Saito 182 TD to go in this, using on board glow. Just not sure what servo's going to use yet. Anyone decided on servos yet?

Cheers, and merry Crimbo.... . ... [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
gwulle

Well, I've gotten the top wing finished and working on the bottom wing. The servos are mounted inside the wing on hardwood rails attached to the servo hatch cover. I have decided to use the hardware that came with the kit. The ailerons,horozontial stab,and rudder all use the post type control horns with metal clevises that attch to the aileron servo. I mounted the bottom wing to the fuse after I finished it and all looked straight and true. So far, so good. I am going to use Hitec 645 MG servos all around,since I already have a dozen or so. I have joined the top wing halves and I am waiting for them to dry to mount my cabanes a "N" struts. The instructions do not mention anything about where to mount the aileron joiner contol horns and from past experiences there can be some differential issues if not done properly. Any one have any suggestions? My first thought is to mount them as far back toward the trailing edge as practial for a trial fit and see what the differential is.

Gaines
Old 12-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: gwulle

Well, I've gotten the top wing finished and working on the bottom wing. The servos are mounted inside the wing on hardwood rails attached to the servo hatch cover. I have decided to use the hardware that came with the kit. The ailerons,horozontial stab,and rudder all use the post type control horns with metal clevises that attch to the aileron servo. I mounted the bottom wing to the fuse after I finished it and all looked straight and true. So far, so good. I am going to use Hitec 645 MG servos all around,since I already have a dozen or so. I have joined the top wing halves and I am waiting for them to dry to mount my cabanes a "N" struts. The instructions do not mention anything about where to mount the aileron joiner contol horns and from past experiences there can be some differential issues if not done properly. Any one have any suggestions? My first thought is to mount them as far back toward the trailing edge as practial for a trial fit and see what the differential is.

Gaines
Gaines,

Look at the picture on mine that shows the top down view. You want the slave rod to hit the top aileron as close to the trailing edge as possible, and the bottom aileron about 3/16" from the trailing edge. You will not want much if any down aileron, and quite a bit of up. If the ailerons are not deat on as far as throw, it does not seem to make much difference. Just remember that the differential has to be there to cancell adverse yaw. It will be just fine.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56364.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	581963  
Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
gwulle

Bill;
Thanks alot for the info !! Give me an idea on the amount of throw you are talking about. I use alot more throw on the Super Stearman and use the same up and down. Have you tried coupling the rudder and ailerons ?

Gaines
Old 12-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Stickbuilder

Bill;
Thanks alot for the info !! Give me an idea on the amount of throw you are talking about. I use alot more throw on the Super Stearman and use the same up and down. Have you tried coupling the rudder and ailerons ?

Gaines
When i close the dealership tonight, I'll get some measurements for you. I tried rudder coupling, but did not see much advantage with it. The problem is with the low wing in a banked turn. You wind up with the plane heading several degrees away from the turn. It looks weird.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 PM
gwulle

Bill;
While I am thinking about it, the instructions do not say anything about incidences on either wing. They may have them built in, but I do not trust that.

Gaines
Old 12-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Stickbuilder

Bill;
While I am thinking about it, the instructions do not say anything about incidences on either wing. They may have them built in, but I do not trust that.

Gaines
If you will look through the WACO thread, you will find where the incidence question has been visited in detail. According to the MAN flight test, it was supposed to be on the money. Of course, we all know that all tested airplanes are the best thing to come down the pike (RC Report excepted).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 PM
gwulle

Bill;
I looked in the manuel and it calls for 7/8"up - 1/4" down - Low Rate Ailerons
7/8" up - 1/2 down - High Rate

How does that sound?

Gaines
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Well, I've gotten the top wing finished and working on the bottom wing.

Gaines
Gee, It only took a month to get the wings framed up on mine, not to mention the covering and finishing. I hate you [>:]

Just kidding, of course. Hey Who let the builder loose in here????

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-22-2006, 07:35 PM
gwulle

I still wish I knew more about this Sig Aerocote. I was trimming away the covering from the hinge slots and I was using the tip of the exacto to pull the covering up after I cut it and some of it came off and left the backing still glued to the wood. I have never seen Monocote or Oracote ever do that. Plus, you can see,what seems to be some sort of weave or pattern better from the back side. Even the best modelers at covering have some little wrinkles around the tips of their wing, but these wing tips are perfect,not one crease,wrinkle or anything. Sure does make for a tremendous covering job,also it seems to work best at about 250 degrees.

Gaines

Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Stickbuilder

The throws sound about right. I checked mine tonight, and with the slave rods set up the way I have them, they are dead on. Both throws are identical for the top and bottom ailerons. The top aileron slave connector is right on the trailing edge, and on the bottom aileron, the slave connector is 3/16 from the trailing edge. Did you find the incidences in our thread? I'll have you know that my wings do not have any wrinkles anywhere as well. So there [>:] Nothing else has any wrinkles either (the builder doesn't count).

As to the aerokote, I have not a clue. I do not use any Iron-On covering. Call me a purist, but I don't use any of them.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-22-2006, 09:57 PM
drone pilot

Bill, (Stickbuilder) I have been offered a Pica Kit of the YMF-5, framed up, wings and fuse. I have heard that it is a GREaT kit and easy to assemble.... Think I should take it? The price is right (free). Don't know abbout plans and specs, but those should be available?? Cliff
Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 PM
gwulle

Stickbuilder;
I didn,t mean to offend you !!(LOL) I'm sure your don't. I was talking about folks that use Monocote,Oracote and the Ultracotes(The iron ons). The way you do it is much more difficult and time consuming. Wish I had the time and patience.

Gaines
Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gwulle, would it be possible for you to post pics of the N strut attachments? I didn't like them on my 1/6 kit.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

Bill, (Stickbuilder) I have been offered a Pica Kit of the YMF-5, framed up, wings and fuse. I have heard that it is a GREaT kit and easy to assemble.... Think I should take it? The price is right (free). Don't know abbout plans and specs, but those should be available?? Cliff
Cliff,

If it is already framed up, then, yes it should be fairly easy to finish. It won't be wuick though. If it has been framed up, you probably won't need the plans. I'll be glad to help you with any information that you will need. Have a look in the Vintage and Antique forum. You can find this build there under WACO YMF. By all means, take it. If the plans are there, you might need them for the tail group, and incidences. This is not a beginners model. Whoever told you that it was an easy build, had not a clue as to what they were talking about. There were more of these that were started and never finished than any other kit ever produced. These Pica kits fight being built. But if you stay at it, the results are very rewarding. If you don't want it, take it anyway, there are plenty of guys out there who would be happy to take it and finish it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2006, 02:14 PM
gwulle

Tom:
I am going to shoot some pic's later this evening after the epoxy on the horozontal stabs dries and I will include the shot for you and then I'm going to slow down on the build,because Siickbuilder is getting jealous(LOL).

Gaines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.