Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1217

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Sorry, but I don't have a pic at this time of the bottom of the plane. I cut a hole on the bottom just big enough for the batteries to fit in,, I wish I had cut it just a couple of milimeters larger. It is located in the space in front of the main wheels, and behind the wing strut attachments. I have some velcro straps in there to hold the batteries in. I used some white tape, the kind used for striping I think, to hold the piece of the bottom of the plane on, on the front part of the compartment. Then velcro to hold the back part of the cover shut. That is just a rough description. I will try to get some pics of the bottom and the "compartment". I am using some older batteries and they are slightly swollen,, I got the 6 cell batteries used, and they were a little "fat", but still work great. But they make for a tight fit,, the batteries are not going to fall out. I don't think you will want to put the batteries in front of the firewall,,, but that is a personnel choice. I did add a little weight to the front, but think I may remove a little, as it seems just a little nose heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

I have the newer ProJet model 1.40 size. Has anyone determined whether or not this one has reinforced wings?

Anyone who has the CMP version please answer the following if you can..... Were the outermost sections of the main wing covered separtely from the inner sections? My wing panels have a seamless covering the entire length.. Some pictures of CMP models appear to have some trim scheme at the butt-joint.

I used an inspection mirror and flashlight to look in through an aileron cutout and it looks as if there is not a double rib at the 'butt-joinn area. There is a transition of balsa to slightly different direction top and bottom there as seen through the covering. There is what appear to be 1/4"x1/4" framing traveling through that joint. THe rear side appears to have a continuous ply spar traveling through that joint.

If you have had a panel fail do you have any pictures of the insides here so I / we can compare and figure out if the problem has been fixed?

Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alan,

I had the CMP version and when I lost it, I replaced it with the ProJet version. The wing construction on both looked identical. I built both wings stock except for gluing all the panels together with silicone glue. That way I can cut them apart if I ever need to.

I have a DLE 30 in mine and I don't always fly it in a scale-like manner.
    Gary Baker

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This question is for anyone who had trouble with the nosegear bending. My Projet version has 5.5 mm gear . Is this the same size as that which bent?

I should have asked this earlier. I just read a nice article on tempering spring steel and retempering etc. http://vaillyaviation.com/images/Wor...re%20_web_.pdf

If the 5.5 mm gear is what was bending then no harm. If the 5.5 is larger than the gear that was bending then I just hardened it .... Good thing I already doubled up some ply behind the firewall and a layer of glass cloth sandwiched in between out along the inside bottom of fuse. Heard that area weakens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just went to set the nose-gear height. The instructions asy 190 mm at the left side steering hole. That gives the whole plane a decidedly nose-up attitude and a very definate positive incidence to the main wing. I searched for photos of 182's and knowing there are many variants and gear changes over the years I think it is safe to change this so that it reflects the stance of many around the world that don not 'squat' shen sitting on the runway. I am going to change mine so that a mains-first landing will be much easier. I would be willing to bet that trying to grease-it-on would result in a nosegear first hit and increase the chances of bending that tender item.

By-the-way The nose gear now has a little flexibility . I tried bending it by hand a few degrees and it sprung right back.
    Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if anything your best bet is to not use the factory nose gear you'd be better off changing to a robart like i did or one of the other choices that some of the guys on here did if i remember right i'm useing the robart 645 nose strut my plane sits level and works great on my clubs grass field i have videos of mine its the cmp version with a 26cc gas engine if you would like to see them my youtube user name is fatrcguy
    i love the smell of nitro in the morning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Armyguy466, Was the original CMP nose gear 5.5mm or thinner?
    Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it wasn't thin if i remember right it was about a 5 or 5.5 but i changed mine out day one to the robart and been loving it ever since the only problem with the robart is the wheel pan it will take some work to fit it on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to test fly without the pant on the front. I bet some of the problems with the front gear are attributable to the strut being so long. If you set it as shown in the instructions you have to lift the tail quite a bit to get the main wing to be anywhere near 0 incidence. That would explain people nosing over because they dig the nose gear in. To land on the mains would put you REALLY nose high.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

on the cmp version i thought the nose strut was adjustable i may be wrong to be honest i really didn't follow the manual because i learned quick with cmp you can't always trust the manuals and with the wheels pans i had to take mine off because i use a grass field run way and the pans kept causing problemson take offs and landings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aramsdell

I am going to test fly without the pant on the front. I bet some of the problems with the front gear are attributable to the strut being so long. If you set it as shown in the instructions you have to lift the tail quite a bit to get the main wing to be anywhere near 0 incidence. That would explain people nosing over because they dig the nose gear in. To land on the mains would put you REALLY nose high.

Hi, I have a cmp 182 and discovered that by having the nose gear too long (stock height) causesproblems when landing;The nose wheelwilltouch downfirst, makingthe nose then bounce up justas the rear wheels touch down,setting the plane in a 'takeoff' like attitude, which thenmakes the plane floatback up and then bounce back down again, HARD.After Ishortened the nose strut (basically rebuilt the whole thing because the stocker is veryflimsy)my landings are perfectly smooth every time because the rear wheels touch down first.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I REALLY FOUND THIS DISCUSSION VERY INTERESTING,,,, NOW I THINK I KNOW WHY I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALL MY LANDING PROBLEMS. IF YOU DON'T "STICK IT JUST RIGHT" IT WOULD START THE BOUNCING THING,,, I THINK I WILL SHORTEN MY NOSE WHEEL STRUT!! THANKS GUYS!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use the Robart #654 by default is short, also add +/- 5 degree forward angle, it will look more scale, check the old post.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

with my robart 645 strut mine sits perfectly level and i never have any problems landing unless i come in to hot or at to much of a angle you can see my landings on youtube my username is fatrcguy the one video i bounced was because i was having engine problems it didn't want to slow down enough so i came in hot and one i touch the ground i held my throttle cut on my radio to slow it down to taxi it back to me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i ment the 654 here is where i got mine http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXES72&P=K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS , I WILL CHECK IT OUT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Post 566: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8825753

Also check the front landing gear angle in this picture: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image84344.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now I guess we are all on the same page.....HA! It's nice to seemingly have helped another (gear length) and I haven't even mounted my motor yet. Next question down and right thrust. I saw the question posed way back but don't recall seeing an answer. Did everyone just go 0,0 to the firewall?

Still looking for good ideas on changing batteries as this will be electric. I have a motor around 22 oz. going on 10S and will have a 16x10 or 17x10 3 blade. This motor can swing a 20 x 10 at max wattage.
    Anyone cut open a door panel? Removable window(s)?

Has anyone successfully removed decals from the fuse? My Projet version came with an N-Number from a 1965 Cessna model 150F (N6239R).Hope this doesn't ruin everyones' day....

I will find a model year that had longer landing gear than the one just referenced by Ricardoeyes. That appears to be one of the newer heavier duty models with shortened gear. Our model's gear is a bit longer than what is in that pic, I believe. I Think the landing lights moved to the cowling in the early '70s so I will start there.

What have you all been using for lighting controllers. I think there a a few available but scale operation is nice. Is there supposed to ba a white stobe on the bottom of the fuse as well as the wingtips?

Maybe I'll just sit here and wait for answers.... Work is way overated after all.

Thanks Al

Al I'm using a micro switch on the throtle servo ( radio shack). this control the landing lights, looks very scale like. At a litle less than 1/3 throtle switch makes and lights come on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nicolau, are you also using the beacons and nav. lights? There are several controllers Like RAM. I am trying to get the most possibilities. I can come up with the landing lights easily. There are several discount stores nearby and they sell a million kinds of cheapo LED flashlights. Some of the pencell ones are looking good. I can at least get lenses from one type that I already bought for about a dollar.

Yes, all my lights are from Radio shack Bright LEDs. all are run from 3 volts, usingalkiline AA batteries. the only lights tha i do not have are the Strobe lights. need to find really small ones. have two but are not to scale, these run on 12volts.I made my own lights system.they must have about 10 or morehrs and still running strong.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have decided to get rid of the stock tail control rods. Here is mytake on elev. control. The bolt is 3mm, the plastic part for the clevis is stock and tapped out to 3mm. The hub is a TREX 450 tail-rotor hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71536.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	1696431  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My elev rod is 3/32 piano wire. I have a new take on the rudder control as well. I am fitting up a 3mm piece of the flybar for my Swift helicopter as the torque linkage to the rudder. the end is threaded 3mm for about an inch. I cut and drilled a piece of aluminum, about 1/16 thick, and put a twist in it then screwed a ball link to it. I will be able to brace this just below the aluminum control horn.. Pics to follow later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's the details of my mods in pictures.

The 'tiller arm' has a ball joint bolted on and is threaded to 3mm. It gets double nutted top and bottom then locktite too. It is very stiff without the wood bracing but it can't hurt ?? The elevator is going to get a little hardwood against the fron to the joiner wire to help prevent bending when it pulls forward. so it won't loosen the glue joints in the elev halves. The rear hatch is going to be held on with something other than the screws they show. The engine cowling is going to have internal wooden blocks so no visible screws. Sorry the pic isn't as good as it could be. The dark spot in the center is the rudder control wire pinting almost directly at the camera. For a better look at what the elveator control is see one of my above posts for a better picture.

Name:	Ki19473.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	1697692  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More progress on modifications. The mid-supports for the pushrods are basa uprights with a piece of ply with the holes drilled in it then cut(you can see the line) then some vaseline to keep the CA from sticking to the CF pushrods. The tail linkages are STIFF !

Name:	Om32136.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	1699114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52110.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	1699115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag91495.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	1699116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ha79033.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1699117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uf51701.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	1699118  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34747.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	1699119  

Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast