Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 AM
tomd-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

OK, this time I really screwed it.

When assembling the wing, I forgot to include the metal tube. I clamped the three parts together using the metal brackets provided and epoxied the surfaces together.

Will the wing hold out ? What can I do at this point to strengthen the wing ?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

TomD,
no it will not. Do not attempt to fly it without the wing tube, you could have a real disaster on your hands. You will have to figure out a way to separate the two halves. Bandsaw might be your best option and then you will have some fabricating and finish work to do afterwards. Good luck on your build,
J
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM
chrisfarru

Hi all,

This thread is simply great! Lots on info to get this plane right.

Can anyone tell me if this is the older version from CMP or the Projet one?

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv..._Code=CMPScale

Thanks for yr help
Chris
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
GhostWhisperz

Hi, That is the old model that people have been discussed in here, It will have the updated parts included. The new one that came out is blue and white. not as good as the original one shown on AK-Models. Hope this helps buddy

Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM
m1morrow
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

Its Been a Year but I finally got my Cessna on floats!!! Here are some pics of my CMP 182 and my brothers CMP Cub on Plane Fun Floats with my custom float mounts.

To Recap my CMP 182 Has.

Zenoah G26 EI
Tru-Turn Aluminum Spinner
Robart Nose Strut
Complete RAM lighting System with real strobes, nav lights, rotting beavon, and landing lights
Servo rate reducer to make the Flaps go down slow.
Dual Elevator Servos
Retractable Water Rudders.

I have really tried to make the ultimate CMP Cessna. Here are some pics. I have not flown it off the water yet but I will have some and a video soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20489.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	1783073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69880.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1783074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14978.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	1783075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89543.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1783076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10183.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1783077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66201.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1783078   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10629.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1783079  
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

That looks great! Can we see some detailed shots of your attatchment points?
J
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
nicolau

Yes. your plane looks great. would like to see photos of it taking off and landing on water. If you could take pictures of the attachement points will be a grat help.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
m1morrow

Guys,

I flew the Cessna off water today for the first time!!!!!  Here is my report.  My First takeoff run was unsuccessful.  I held slight back pressure to keep the planes nose up and realized I was going to stall it once I was out of ground effect. so I cut the throttle and I somehow used the rudder and ailerons to keep it upright.  After a couple bounces I taxied the plane back to the shore and inspected it..........Everything seemed fine. 

Second takeoff run. Flaps with one notch down.  I let the plane get out of the hole and onto step.  I then gave it some nose down elevator to put it on the step and accelerate.........Just so you guys know the plane is really moving fast at this point and it looks like it really wants to fly.  I pulled back slightly on the stick.  The nose shot up..... I'm not sure if it was me or aft CG(balances at 85MM)  or not enough nose down engine angle(Plane took off great on land) or what.  I Lowered the nose slightly and danced with the ailerons and rudder to keep it from dropping a wing to the right....all with full power screaming.    The plane finally flew out of the stall and I got it up in the air and trimmed it out. 

The thing flew awesome once it was airborne.  Very Smooth and Stable.  With one notch of flaps it almost seems scale or slower than scale!!!!!  you have to use a bit of rudder in the turns and its not an aerobat. I can easily say it was the most fun I have ever had flying a RC airplane.  The planes needed 4 or 5 clicks nose down trim at half throttle and flew plenty fast.  Full throttle was way overkill just like it was with no floats.

My landing was not my best but i got it down and taxied it back to the shore.  I used one notch of flaps as I was not tempted to mess with it since it was flying so well.  I was ecstatic!  Anyways.  I probably  should have quit while I was ahead.

My next takeoff I employed the same technique as my second one.  I accelerated down the lake until the thing was really moving and looked like it wanted to fly. after a slight amount of back pressure the nose came up again.  I was dancing with  the sticks. Tail and Wings droping left and right.  Pusing forward on the stick trying to get the thing to fly out of the stall the engine at full tilt.........but no luck.  It dropped a wing quickly and dunked in the water.  Thankfully I only bent a float strut.  The engine hit the water and quit.  Some fishermen brought it back to me.  I was lucky..............

This airplane was never a light one without floats.(15 pounds)  with floats its probably 19.  But since it flew nicely once it was airborne I'm thinking my zenoah g26 is not pulling it with the authority it should during a climb.  Im guessing I have it way over propped with the 16X10 3 blade on it and as soon as the nose comes up and its climbing its not pulling the thing like it could.....and thats why its stalling.  There is a limit to how fast you can go on the water with these things..........it has to come out fairly quickly.

The engine's benchmark is a 2 blade 16x8....I thought that I could get away with the 16X10 3 blade since this thing pulled with authority without floats.  The 16x10 3 blade turns at about 7000 rpm. 

Will putting a 2 blade prop on this thing with less pitch make it more forgiving?  My CG with floats is 85MM and it seems perfect to me once it if flying.  The airplane looks like it handles on the water perfectly.  I believe that my step is in the perfect spot.  My wing incident is at 2.5 degrees.  That seems perfect as it stays straight during the takeoff roll and it wont come off the   What are your recommendations?

Im guessing i need a better prop......

Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
1UGLYPUG

Make sure that wing incidence is correct. When you said you needed a little down trim, it may be that it is trying to climb too much too quickly as the stab is out of alignment with the wing. That would make it try to climb and need the down trim. It would not show up as much on land, but in the water, the rear of the floats would sink in the water and the angle of attack would be too much too quickly, and the floats could be slowing you down some just as you are ready to fly off the water. And, you do need plenty of power too. That thing should be lifting off the water without needing so much pulling on the elevator. Hope I am on the right track. Just some suggestions, as I used to fly ultralights on floats. Never had that kind of problem you are describing.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
bobbydee

sorry for hyjackin the thread but Im in bad need of a cmpro cessna 182 cowl, 140 size. dont care what shape. I could use it as a plug if need.thanks bob. [email protected]
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
1UGLYPUG

I HAVE ONE A LITTLE/LOT DINGED UP. BUT NOT DESTROYED. I CAN TRY TO TAKE A PICTURE OF IT IF YOU LIKE. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT??
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
bobbydee

I cant find a new one.I bought a cessna 182, 140 size from a guy who said the motor ripped it's self off with the cowl in mid flite and he couldnt find it!but nothing else is hurtl.not my story.I got the plane for 50.00. anyway I am needin one and could fix a old one up.would love a pic and a price...thanks so much. bob
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
1UGLYPUG

NOT TRYING TO GET OUT OF HELPING YOU, BUT THERE IS A PLACE YOU CAN BUY ONE THAT IS ALMOST AN EXACT MATCH. THAT IS WHY I HAVE AN OLD ONE,,, I PURCHASED A "NEW" ONE... I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE RIGHT NOW,,, BUT CAN TRY TO FIND OUT WHERE I GOT IT,,, SEEMS SOMEONE ON HERE TOLD ME.... NOT SURE,,, GETTING OLD YOU KNOW,,,, CAN'T REMEMBER THE PRICE,,, BUT, I MYSELF WOULD RATHER HAVE A NEW ONE,,,, WHAT YOU TINK??
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I wonder if the top flite cowl would work, same for the landing gear too?
J
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
m1morrow

Sad day.............

After Installing a new High torque elevator servo(since one was getting slow) and adding a 16x8 two blade prop my brother and Iwent up north to fly my Cessna off floas for the 2nd time. It was a windy day but the wind was steady and the plane was heavy and flew very stable on the first flight off water a few days prior.

This time the new prop helped the plane jump off the water much better.
After the turn to my downwind leg the plane hit some turbulance and immediately went into a stall spin. I probably could have saved it but the plane was heading toward people watching the flight on the beach and I did not want risk going into a secondary stall and hit someone................so sadly I let in go in.............

You dont want to see pictures of the wreck......................the plane is not salvageable.

I'm not sure if I had a failure of some sort...........or I simply got too slow........or the turbulance just threw the nose up or maybe a combination of two or three of those things. 10-15 degrees of flaps were deployed during the entire flightt. The first time I flew on floats the plane flew perfectly with this setting. It did need some nose down elevator....but nothing that seemed to crazy to me maybe 5 clicks. I was use to the 16x10 flying the plane plenty fast at 1/2 throttle. I might have just not had enough power with the 16x8 to let it cruise safely. Since Iadded the New servo Ileft the elevators neutral and did not retrim the elevator down and I was fighting to keep the nose down thru the bumps. Maybe the wing inncidence is just made this thing more of a handful then it needed to be and let to the nose popping up.

Either way. Ihave so much time and money into everything in that stupid thing that im not sure if I should buy the Projet model and throw everytihg into it......or just pony up the cash and buy a ESM 185 or beaver with floats and put my parts into one of those. I just spent soo much time and money making my Floats look and work great......

What do you guys think? I have built 7 RC airplanes including that cub on floats............This is my first ever wreck........and it sucks.

Mike

Here is the video. Sory my brother did a marginal job taping
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KmD_tK2u8g&feature=plcp[/youtube]

<iframe width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6KmD_tK2u8g"></iframe>

Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
bobbydee

I'VE been told ak might have a cowl but they say they cant help me. I've looked everywere I can think of and cant find one.Id be honored to pay you the price of a new one plus frieght. I could use it as a plug if its to bad.Im spendin alot of time lookin when I ot to be working on my new hobby shop. thank you bob
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 AM
1UGLYPUG

I WOULD GUESS THE LESS PITCH PROP WAS NOT PRODUCING THE SAME THRUST AS YOU WERE USED TO. WHEN IT IS WINDY, I ALWAYS KEEP SOME EXTRA POWER ON JUST IN CASE. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF FOLKS GET BIT BY THE "WINDY DAY" BUG. SORRY TO SEE SUCH A GOOD LOOKING PLANE GO IN. I MADE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO TAKE OFF WITHOUT THE TOP WING BOLTS INSTALLED,,,TALK ABOUT A CRASH ON TAKE OFF!! IT LOOKED LIKE THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN CRASH !! I KEPT PULLING UP ON THE ELEVATOR AND NOTHING WAS HAPPENING,,, UNTIL IT RAN OFF THE EDGE OF THE RUNWAY AND HIT THE GRASS,,,, I WAS GETTING READY TO GO AND STOMP ON IT,, UNTIL I GOT CLOSE AND REALIZED IT WAS NOT DAMAGED AS BAD AS IT LOOKED !! THAT IS WHY I HAVE THE EXTRA COWLING... IT HAS SOME CRACKS IN IT,,, BUT I HAD ALREADY BOUGHT A NEW ONE BECAUSE OF SOME SCRATCHES ON IT, SO I CHANGED IT OUT. BACK TO THE WIND,,, I DON'T EVEN FLY MINE IF WE HAVE A SOUTHERLY CROSS WING AT OUR FIELD BECAUSE OF HOW BAD THE WIND ROLLS OVER OUR BUILDINGS THERE... CALL ME WIMPY, BUT I HAVEN'T CRASHED ANY MORE,,,,, AGAIN, SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 PM
bobbydee

if its avaluble (the old cowl) Id be honored to buy it! bob
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
1UGLYPUG

I WILL TRY TO GET SOME PICS,,, AND ALSO TRY TO FIND WHERE I GOT MY NEW ONE,,,, VERY BUSY THE LAST FEW DAYS,, SORRY,, AND OF COURSE, HAVE TO GO FLYING TOMORROW,,,, I AM SLOW,, SORRY,,,
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM
bobbydee

you might be slow but I,ll bet your damn good. thats great..Im busy building the new hanger. but I would love to get my hands on a cowl.cmp must not build the cessna 182 in the 140 size anymore. thanks.....bob
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

bobbydee,
They do still sell them, only it is in a different color. Unfortunately, they do not sell spare parts. Nitroplanes is the dealer.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-05...0-red-kit.html
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
bobbydee

Hay Hunter...
ya thats to bad they dont. I dont know were else to go. If I can find a cowl I'll have a damn nice plane. thanks for the word.....bob
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM
1UGLYPUG

NEAR THE BOTTOM OF PAGE 43 IS A PICTURE OF MY CESSNA AND OTHER PLANES, AND YOU CAN SEE THE REPLACEMENT COWL I GOT. I JUST WENT TO THE BACK ROOM AND PICKED UP THE OLD COWL. IT IS IN ALL ONE PIECE , BUT HAS LOTS OF CRACKS IN IT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO A LOT OF FILLING IN CRACKS AND OTHER FIBERGLASS WORK, AND A LITTLE PAINT. I AM HAVING TROUBLE GETTING MY CAMERA TO LOAD TO THE COMPUTER. I KEEP GETTING SOMETHING ABOUT NEEDING TO UP LOAD THE DRIVER,,, HOW COULD I HAVE LOST THE DRIVER? IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR YEARS WITHOUT THIS PROBLEM,,,, ANYWAY, WOULD YOU GIVE TEN BUCKS PLUS SHIPPING FOR THE THING? IT DOES NEED COSMETIC WORK, BUT IS MOSTLY STRUCTURALLY SOUND. THE WORST CRACK AS FAR AS FLEXING, IS ON THE BOTTOM, AND CAN BE REINFORCED FROM THE INSIDE WITH OUT BEING A PROBLEM. AND IT IS ONLY ABOUT A 1 AND 1/2 INCH CRACK. I WISH I COULD FIND SOME OF THE PAPERWORK FROM WHERE I GOT MY REPLACEMENT .. I WILL TRY TO SEND YOU A "PRIVATE" CONTACT ON YOUR PROFILE,,, LATER
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
richjanz

I've had the Cessna 182, (140 size) on the shelf for about five years and finally decided it was time to assemble it. The problem I am having right now is the stab, wing engine setup. The manual shows the engine needing 2deg downthrust. With the nose wheel at 190mm that puts the firewall at about 5 deg pos incidence. The nose is way too high in my opinion. Nowhere in the manual does it show a reference for stab,wing engine incidences. Should the stab be set at zero deg. and the others referenced to that? Does anyone have that info?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
richjanz

My E-mail address is ....... [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.