Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
rccardude04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

t---ted skies... That's the funniest internet "pwnage" I've read in a long time.
Did they have a reply? LOL
PM me a link if you're bored.
-Eric
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
twistedskies

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post409687

Here is the link to this its great to hear this from one of the biggest names in our hobby. I hope you can go back a little in the posts its great what I had to say.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
rccardude04

hahaha... That's awesome. I'm not sure they were poking at you as much as you made it out to be, but Matt sure put him in his place!!! LOL
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 AM
rccardude04

Well that's interesting.
I don't have a prop on my plane yet, but I'm balancing at approximately 4.5-4.75" without the battery even in the plane. I may not end up needing much for tail weight! lol.
I may go ahead and mount the battery up in the front of the fuse for now and then move it back as necessary. Maybe I won't need a hatch!
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 AM
linkadrip

Apperently the link has been blocked must be a competing rc web forum.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 AM
rccardude04

Yeah, it was. But just imagine about giants flying around. Like... The jolly green giant... if you know what I mean.
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 AM
linkadrip

Yes i found it I subscripe to the same Forum I have a Giant RC Plane Thread on there. Found it pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
twistedskies

Yeah they may not have been telling me that it cant be done but they did say that it wasnt right so you be the judge heheehehe. Its just nice to know that I did this on my own and it just so happens to be the closest thing to the original. I know RC that he was just telling me that I did it wrong in his eyes, according to his kit but I think that anyone that tries something new (Waldo) should be praised not told it wasnt right. I did what I wanted and turns out it was right to scale. Well anyway I am glad about my decision and it couldnt have made me happier than hearing it from Matt C.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Waldopepperaxel

LOL I couldn't find the thread So now I'm doing research on the Jolly green giant to clue me in, Now I'm craving cans of beans peas and corn we use to fly the huge jolly green giant kites as kids, it was free after sending in like 10 labels or something, and then little green sprout came as a parachute attachment, you would send up the kite line and then snap it and of course little green sprout would fly away in the wind never to be seen again,,[X(][:-] LOL I mean what in the devil were they thinking with that, you fly the Kite in a 10 -15 mph wind, send the sprout up to the kite after rolling out 1000 - 5000 feet of kite string, so now the kite is that far away from you,,[>:] you snap the line,[sm=tongue_smile.gif] the spout jumps off [sm=lol.gif]which was only a cardboard cut out and a parachute, and watch it fly in that 15 Mph wind another God knows how many miles away from the original 5000 feet the kite was already away from you and above,,,[&:] we had 3 kites , 3 sprouts and 1 launch each,, LOL [&o][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The 60's LOL

I notice a new entry in the thread and now its gone,, so whoever you were Congrats on your purchase and we are waiting for the maiden report.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:45 PM
rccardude04

Man... Don't you hate it when you order something for yourself and somehow it gets deleted from the order and doesn't come in when it's supposed to?
Well if not, it kinda blows. I ordered myself a 15x4 on Saturday, should have gotten ordered monday and showed up today. However, it's not here. And there's no record of it ever actually existing. I really hate our computer software sometimes. The boss got it on 'quick ship' today so hopefully it'll be here Friday. I'm hoping to run the thing Saturday night so I can put a tank through it before we take apart my full size car for an engine swap
Right now, I'm going to try and attach the canopy with some tape and figure out where this thing really wants to balance. I found an old 11x8 prop laying around from my experimentation days with my Ultra stick and the evolution 46. It should be close enough on weight to do the trick for these purposes.
Also, Waldo... I think you did more than fly kites in the 60s judging by that post.
Edit: I looked through and determined I should try to shoot for about 4.5" CG. Is that about right?
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
rccardude04

Man, that battery is lighter than I thought... It was about 4.25 before the battery added, and when I put the battery where the hatch would be, it was just forward of 4.5. If I moved it ALL THE WAY back of where the hatch would be, it was 4.75.
Once I add the extra piece of ply and a couple pieces of balsa, it should have plenty of tail weight and some room for adjustment.
Looks like it's going to work out perfectly...
Now if I can just cut the wood to the proper shape without screwing it up... [sm=72_72.gif]
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Yes I also flew those little rubber band powered jammies and estes rockets

I have faith in you RC,,, carve away,,, and glad to hear its all working in your favor at the moment,,, How cool is that,, well weight wise,, the order thing does $#$%^&&***[:@]
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
jdkxtreme

Well I think I can repair the fuse...My problem is gonna be recovering it..Any tips?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM
twistedskies

JD first good tip is make sure to move your fingers out of the way of the iron..... Its really easy once you start just dont rush it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM
twistedskies

Just cut the covering larger than the piece you are working on and iron it from the edge first then work over that corner kind of pulling the wrinkles out a little as you go and when you get it ironed around all the edges and its tight just run the iron over any wood under it to get it stuck the hit it with the gun and VOILA!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM
rccardude04

I got the hatched mostly carved out... I did cut it just a little short front to back, but I think it'll come around when I wrap it in covering.

I did apply the piece of covering that I removed from the bottom to my hatch though... And I gotta say, Monokote really sucks. This Ultracote stuff sticks to the wood a million times better than the Monokote ever seemed to. It's not that I'm a master at covering or anything but yeah... I'm gonna have to go buy a roll instead of using the Monokote I already have. Besides, the color will match better anyway.

On the list for tomorrow:
Reinforcing/tray mounting spruce sticks
plywood for tray
velcro for the battery
velcro to make a strap out of so that it really doesn't go anywhere.
Some other hardwood to make mounts for the hatch... Probably will get some wide spruce sticks or maybe even balsa... I guess the balsa would be easier to put the Blind nuts into, but it's also softer... Might have to coat it with some CA...
Doesn't really matter. The hatch won't be structural. It's just to cover up the hole.

Any ideas on what kind of clip I should use to hold my leads together? I was actually thinking about sticking some little Micro Deans plugs on there that way they'd hold more secure (no clips). Right now it's just got standard 3-pin connectors on it. I might take some pictures if I get bored in a bit...
-Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 PM
rccardude04

Here goes!
Interior electronics layout and throttle linkage, plus a bonus photo.
-Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35395.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	902138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48998.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	902139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43293.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	902140  
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Couldn't have said it better myself T_ _ _ Ted,, JDX its very easy but does take a little practice to achieve beautiful results and the best part about it is if it doesn't go on right the 1st time just heat it up a little, peel it off and try again, with that piece or a new one.

RC LOL,,,,, Thats what I say about Ultra-cote LOL I would much rather use the Mono-cote as the Ultra-cote always shrinks too fast for me, I know I can cool off the iron and apply quicker bursts of heat and its a little lighter, but I cut out a piece with about 1/2 inch around the border and somehow someway I always end up doing something stupid and the next thing I know [:-]the part I'm trying to wrap looks like its wearing high water pants..[&:][:@] But I was used to the mono-cote as thats what first came out back in our day and I seem to have better luck with that and it feels a little more durable to me anyway.. I use both pretty good now and don't have that problem so much anymore but i still prefer the mono-cote anyday.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
thew

Looks really good. Great photos. What kind of camera did you use?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
rccardude04

Haha... I'm pretty new at covering and so far I just seem to prefer the Ultracote. I think it's one of those where if you're starting out, the Ultracote is probably better, but if you're used to Monokote, it's going to mess you up. Seems like that's about the response I get at the store too. Those who started covering trying both chose the ultracote, and the guys who had been using monokote since the beginning of time will always prefer the monokote.

As far as the pictures, thanks. LOL. I actually just have a little 130 dollar nikon coolpix L3. I got it for christmas of 2006. I stood up a ways from the plane, used macros and zoomed in all the way to the optical zoom's limit (3x).
Thanks for the compliment!

BTW that's our new doggie (puppy) Riff. He's been with us 2 weeks as of Friday the 14th. He's a terrier mix of some sort but we don't know what... lol. We taught him how to use the stairs so he can come down and chew on my airplanes while I'm playing around.
-Eric
Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Yeah RC LOL I forgot to mention that, I got wrapped up in the Mono-cote thing,, Nice pics and very nice on the wiring job,, with little wire ties and all,,, Cool,, and now that I see you have the T_ _ _ T 40 I can say yes to your question about the 4.5 -4.75 CG thats a good spot for it, for some reason I thought you were talking about the 150 which I don't have so couldn't comment. and I might add a fine job on the hatch and the puppy looks great lol,, he needs a flight cap.[8D]

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
twistedskies

Hey Waldo it looks as if you need to get the 150 and a Laser. You cannot have just the 40 twist in your hangar you need something bigger in there too. Well its looking good for this weekend for me to get out maybe Sunday for a little time on the sticks. Well I am battling a headache at the time being so peace out!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
rccardude04

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

Yeah RC LOL I forgot to mention that, I got wrapped up in the Mono-cote thing,, Nice pics and very nice on the wiring job,, with little wire ties and all,,, Cool,, and now that I see you have the T_ _ _ T 40 I can say yes to your question about the 4.5 -4.75 CG thats a good spot for it, for some reason I thought you were talking about the 150 which I don't have so couldn't comment. and I might add a fine job on the hatch and the puppy looks great lol,, he needs a flight cap.[8D]

Waldo, I took those pictures before I had cut the hatch I'm pretty sure. LOL. But yeah, the puppy definitely needs a flight cap. Maybe even a little scarf, a 5 point harness and a 1/3 scale J3.
-Eric
Old 03-14-2008, 02:38 AM
kerwin50

Well I havn't been able to fly for the3 days or should I say I havn't been able to fly the t---t.
I woke up with a bum leg and after taking the pain pills the doc gave me I discovered I was already flying 3 mistakes high.
Hopfuly tomorrow will be another day
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM
rccardude04

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

Well I havn't been able to fly for the3 days or should I say I havn't been able to fly the t---t.
I woke up with a bum leg and after taking the pain pills the doc gave me I discovered I was already flying 3 mistakes high.
Hopfuly tomorrow will be another day
lol... no driving for you today.
-Eric

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.