ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Downtrodden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Yes, congrats! Fly RC! Too cool. Keep 'em comin' boys!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
jwk72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Adam! I'm jealous, haven't gotten mine yet. Probably gonna have to buy a few for prosperity sake! I never gave in and subscribed so I have to keep buggng the local hobby store to see if they have them in yet.

ON a seperate note, I have to gripe to somebody and you guys are probably most likely to be somewhat sympathetic. I am about this close (my finger are very close together) to swearing off of anything that Horizon sells except of course for the T _ _ _ T. I know I've just got my panties all up in a bunch right now and will settle down with time, but their customer service is hoooorendous! I have had nothing but problems with the FSOne simulator in the 3 months of owning it. The lastest problem is I've been trying to get my Futaba T9CAP to integrate and it doesn't seem to be going well. The guy I keep being unfortunate enough to get on the line (I won't mention names yet) is completely incomptent to be in the role of tech/product support. This guy, as well as others I have talked to, can't formulate an answer to any problem unless it can be accessed from their computer database. I feel like I'm talking to my cellular carrier cust. service! I'm no dummy when it comes to computer stuff, my photography deals with many high end computers and periphials every day so I tend to know my way around. My 16 year old cousins give better advice then this. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now because I think I remember we aren't supposed to badmouth anyone... Just had to vent. I guess I figure that when you spend $200 on a glorified video game, you shouldn't have this many problems and it should be able to do what they advertise.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kids Kids,,, All those pics are awesome!!!!! great job and crystal clear, the wife and I are going to buy our first digital camera soon, so I will be able to trade in my paintbrush soon and show you guys some of our Pics, I can't wait. I just bought her a nice Cannon 35 mm 2 years ago for around $500.00 I'm trying to get her a dark room built, but now she and I want a good digital.

Jwk Congrats!! was it the first pic in the sunset that was in the Fly RC?? and I think we are all behind you on your gripe....

Dutch,, Awesome pics as well. Man you guys are making me ache for a flying day, now that the Holidays are over I can get back to concentrating on building, it was around 60 something here Saturday but I was still finishing up the holiday season, Saturday we celebrated my Wifes B-day I almost had her talked into a game of golf,,,, but we didn't get there, thats Just unheard of here in NY in January, but it appears the snow is coming this week, figures.

someone get some T_ _ _ T videos on here and help my addiction.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Downtrodden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jwk72,

I can sympathize with you on your customer relations issue! I have yet to receive satisfaction from them and I doubt I ever will, so I've just given up on them completely. What I have been doing lately is drawing my own set of plans for a T _ _ _ T by reverse-engineering the various "sub-assemblies" I have lying around. I think I'll call it the "UN-T_ _ _ T".

downtrodden
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Adam G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jwk72,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the new sim. That makes the 5th horrible review of that software I have heard in the short time it has been out. I have tried it out at the hobby shop, and thought it was OK. The owner said it was way too easy to fly and not realistic, and he is a big Horizon fan. Another guy at the field said there are a lot of glitches and it takes too much time to switch planes and fields. Someone mentioned they kind of rushed it to the market in time for the winter season without getting all the bugs out.

I will reserve judgement until I have really had a chance to play with it. Hopefully they will get the bugs worked out and offer free downloads to update. I just picked up the G3 sim recently and love it. I downloaded the free 3.5 upgrade recently, and I can't believe the night flying. They have a field where you are flying at a lit carnival at night. It is just awesome. I also really like the hovering training.

Is there any way you can return yours and demand a refund? Did you get it from you LHS? I would raise a huge stink and get your money back if I were you. I am sure that you wouldn't be the first. Good luck and lot's and lot's of T---taholic sympathy!

Adam
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 AM
jwk72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the support, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems.

Waldo- yes it is the sunset pic that is in FlyRC and thanks. Also, tell the wife happy b-day, I was celebrating mone on Sat. as well. I was hoping the wife was going to let me go fly for a bit but to no avail. Maybe next weekend.

Adam G.- When the program is actually working properly it is ok. It does have a fair amount of glitches and in comparison th G3 or 3.5 I think it doesn't hold up in the realism dept. I have actually flown through trees and parts of buildings before. Yes I did get it from the LHS and couldn't return it there. The guy who owns it has thaken great care of me in my "addiction" and I couldn't do that to him.

I saw the pics of someones plane that had a custom bottom side to the wing, is this decals or coating??? I hate the dark underside of the .60. Too easy to lose orientation and need to do something to make it better. Any ideas?

-Jay K.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DownT, Thats Great !!!! The Un-T_ _ _ T!!!!! I'm in,,,, But seeing you now have the name pattened, I might have to call mine the HORIBLEIZN.. I love to hear things like your designing or creating or building, The Imagination is endless in this hobby.

My next venture is to try and drop a little green army guy parachuter out of my Kadet bomb dropping hatch, and have an estes rocket engine ignite like a Jet pack on his back.[>:] Hmmm,,, How to control him though[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] it'll take some thought.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 AM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you guys for the great comments about both JWK72 and mine pictures.It gets kinda addictive to shoot pictures from RC planes.With the right camera and the correct settings it makes the job half done alreadyThe digital camera's nowadays are so advanced...unbelievable!

I'm, for RC purposes, lucky to live in California. Although it is January, most of the days are pale blue skies here with no or little wind. I actually LOVE!! to fly in the wind, so I get more exited when there is a 20MPH breeze than when there is no wind at all Other than that..California is not all that great.

Waldo...did you get your new T _ _ _ T in already??
I'm thinking about making a bigger rudder for my T _ _ _ T, like the one from my buddies T _ _ _ T in the picture. That plane does some serious tricks on high rates guysWhat a kick that is!!!I really like those wing tips extended too, as shown in the one picture...really cool!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 AM
ImacPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I picked up my New Twist 150 yesterday along with the Evolution 26GT2 gasser...VERY COOL airplane ...I like this color scheme quite a bit..orientation should not be a problem..the plane will be today,..but I still need to order the muffler from Bisson later on today..Then I'm stuck with this new gasoline Deck Pounder, waiting on the muffler...will take some pics after I get the muffler on her, wringing it out at the field...No need to do any pics of a build up, the wing is a big fat one piece, the tail assembly is bolted on...Anyone else going to do the Twist 150 with a gasser on it????..She ought to be a blast to fly....ImacPilot[8D]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Adam G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Imac,

Sounds like a coool set up. Haven't heard anyone chime in on the 150 sized yet, so you will be the first, many have the 40, and several have the 60. I am anxious to hear what you think of it. I have a Cap 232 with a 46CC gasser on it, and I love the reliability and low fuel costs of the motor.

Please let us know how she flies, and pictures would be great.

Adam
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Bring on the Pics and Flight reports of the big ol 150,, would love to see it in action too if possible.

Nope I haven't went and picked up my T_ _ _ T yet, I'm still debating on just completely making one from all my extra balsa I have, But I'm sure I will just go and buy it at the LHS, they always have one, I've been kind of building a stockpile over the last 15 years to build my own designed sky bird, I want it to do everything, Lightning Fast, Acrobatic as hell, slow as a trainer, 3D, 4D, 5D, and possibly cut the lawn and brush my teeth, If I can get it to cook a burger in flight, and drop me cold beers on those hot days, it would all just be a bonus.

I received a Cd last night on Jet airships, I enquired about a couple of weeks ago, I've been looking at a Strike Eagle 15 for a while, I found this website and asked for their free CD, so they sent me the Cd on their models sort of a spy before you Buy, all kinds of Jets for paved runway or grass fields, the models look great, but I have to sit down with th CD to get more info yet, the prices looked great which is what attracted me to them,
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Downtrodden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Waldo! You have been building! I can read for myself (through your writing) the effect all that glue is having on you. Righteous! Beers from the skies, rocket-propelled parachuter guys, in-flight burger production...........whoa! Open a window........fast!

downtrodden
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM
nbop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have a good starting point for throws? I just got a T___T PNP, And I've been flying a H-9 P51 PTS soloed a couple of months ago and would like to start trying to fly something else. From reading some of the posts it will be alot more responsive so any set up help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neill
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
TimC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nbop, the throws have a lot to do with the prop you plan on using and how you will fly the plane. If you are planning any sub-stall 3-D type flying, I wouldn't go any less on the throws than the recommended low settings. Control of the plane at these slow speeds is dependent on prop wash and ample throw of the control surfaces. What looks like too much is just right. I've been using the low and high throws given in the manual with no problems.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nbop, You have to love a guy who knows his stuff, I say double Ditto on TimC's advice, stay with the reccomended throws and you'll only increase them from there, not that you really need to, but you will eventually want to see just what you can do with her.[>:]

DownT, Sorry,,, maybe all the glue has pemanently damaged me,[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] thats just my natural way of thinking, I actually haven't done any glueing at all since the week after Thanksgiving, as a matter of fact, I bought T_ _ _ T # 2 yesterday and it is now all ready to go, Yesterday was my first glue day in a long long time it seems, I wonder if I should attend a CA-A Class for my addiction. [:-]

I like the Rudder Mod but I don't really know if it is needed, after all,,, if you can do a tight Knife edge loop with her as is,, I think thats about all the rudder throw you need, BuT !! Who am I to say there is a limit on the amount of throw for any aircraft,,,, scratch my last thought,, maybe its the lack of glue talking. Who,,, am,,,, I,,,???? What is happening to me,, Why would I say such a thing???? All the throw that is needed,,,, Someone send me a flight doctor...... AHHHHHHH!!!! I need to glue again. I need help[&o]

Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
jwk72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone have any suggestions for a place to look for a pilot figure? I found a cool one small enogh for my my T _ _ _ T, but I need to find one to fit a 67" Goldberg Yak. Everything I've found is either too liarge, too small to too ugly. It's amazing how many websites there are selling cheap horrible looking figures. The X-treme pilots by slimline are cool, but they don't make them big enough for the YAK.

-Jay K.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WALDO....you're killing me..yeah..let me know if your creation also can open a beer bottle and lit up a nice sigar and I put an order in for your model!!

I'm still debating if I should try to mod the ends of the wing like shown in the pictures a few days ago. it looks kinda cool and would be a blast to try.I have nver build anything from scratch, so I am not sure if I really want to head that direction or not.I still have a Seagull Harrier .46 size waiting in the garage to be build, but I tend to be very lazy when I am off work.[:@]Must be the graveyard shifts that are wearing me out.....[&o]...Tomorrow should be a fly day for me. Right now it is cold, but the sky is pale blue with a slight breeze.....heck..what am I doing here??Should I not be flying today as well??
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMAC...keep us posted here brother!!It sure would be nice to have some "150" owners here on the forum to keep us up to date!!And....P I C T U R E S !!..lots of em!!......
Old 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NBOP.....if this is your 1st T _ _ _ T, take it slow!!The T _ _ _ T is a dream to fly......it was my 2nd plane, but it is so much more easier to fly than the Nexstar, which was my 1st plane!! Get used to her 1st before you start the fancy tricks!!Take her up "3 mistakes high" and "feel" how she flies. Keep your throws within margins till you are used to her.Other than that...enjoy her man. I'm glad you choose the T _ _ _ T. I can not imagine ever NOT having a T _ _ _ T.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Dutch, Dang now I'll have to create an order sheet, I like the Open your beer and light a Cigar feature,, I'll have to send you a percentage If I ever get it working. And Yes you should have been flying back when you wrote that. Laziness can't be used as an excuse when it comes to flying. Its just not right.

JWK, For pretty much all my Pilot figures I usually go to a Toy store, Which is where you will most likely find the perfect character pilot for your craft, When I saw the Homer Simpson figure I knew his facial expression was the Perfect pilot for the T_ _ _ T,, And you can't beat the prices, all the hobby Store pilots are so expensive comparably, grantred they actually look like pilots, but you can find any character at just about any size at a toy store. when I build for an authentic aircraft or want it to look as real as possible, There are sites that list accessories for planes that carry a wide range of pilot figures and size, Tower Hobbies I believe have some as well. For my Ultimate Bipe, I just bought a $3.00 figure and when my daughter cut my hair, I glued my own hair on the pilot. Now I'm scared to crash it because Its almost voo doo like.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Downtrodden

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FUEL DENSITY.......................what do ya think? More bang for your buck? I thought there was this thing called "the law of diminishing returns" that applies to cold weather flying, yet during a test run on an engine stand out in the EXTREME cold I maximized my run time for an O.S. .61FX and a T_ _ _ T 11 oz. tank at a whopping 30 minutes! Same setup as before and I ran it as I would during 3D flight to boot! I would hazzard a guess and state that the engine develops a "heat envelope", which prevents over-cooling. (Yes, you can over cool an engine.) Chilled fuel and chilled air must create the optimum conditions for this engine. I'm thinking "onboard fuel chillers" here boys. Waldo, maybe you could wrap a coil of tubing around a few of them there cold ones, that you'd be dropping from the skies, and chill the fuel between the tank and the carb? Just think of it..........cold beer, C-gars, and thirty minute flights. I'm thinking maybe Dutch, Tim C, Adam and I, along with who ever ought to make a road trip to your place for a little R&D. (Research and development)

downtrodden
Old 01-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DownT,,,,,ONBOARD FUEL CHILLERS Now we're getting somewhere,,, and sure,,, all of you are most welcome, there is plenty of room for all of you here, we have a big ol house and would love to have you, I think if we all got together there would be some serious developement, the research is tougher, especially for me, I grew up in the 60-70's,,,[sm=bananahead.gif] I'm more of a fly by wire kind of guy, who knows what this crew would come up with, but what ever we do, we have to make a model of it for everyone here, and then cold beers cooled from our fuel chiller tubes will be the reward. the ideas here just never end I tell ya.

Thats awesome about getting 30 minutes on your set up, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't know you, especially in the cold, we usually run them a little richer in the cold which cuts down on the time, so congrats to you!!! I'm going to have to time myself one of these days,,, Imagine that,, I have been flying for 30 plus years and I don't think I have ever timed myself, I just have a feeling when she is going to run out and come on in, sometimes with a lot of fuel left, and sometimes its a deadstick landing, so I can't say I'm good at timing it. I would like to know, I just never think of it when I start up the plane, I don't think anyone else at our field does either,,, but I trained most of them so there you go... again,, those dang 70's[8D]

Has anyone tried the new 55AX with the T_ _ _ T yet???

When ye'all comin??

Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Jimeni

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This little mod is pretty easy. Wait till you are 15 feet from ground in a flat spin, listen for the BLAHhh... when you go full throttle and you're almost done. Add i lil dirt and grass and presto. The wing survived with just a ding, go figure. Got the PNP 40 version now, flies a bit different, but still tweaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75210.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	597065  
Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Downtrodden

I'm thinking "onboard fuel chillers" here boys. Waldo, maybe you could wrap a coil of tubing around a few of them there cold ones, that you'd be dropping from the skies, and chill the fuel between the tank and the carb? Just think of it..........cold beer, C-gars, and thirty minute flights. I'm thinking maybe Dutch, Tim C, Adam and I, along with who ever ought to make a road trip to your place for a little R&D. (Research and development)

downtrodden
DOWN...*high five*..I'll be there brother....how bout a lill' barbeque at the same time...I'll bring my loaded humidor....I'm sure Tim and Adam can bring some dessert....we'll have Walso bring a gallon of CA glue since after the beers the landings won't be as smooth anymore...Long live the "T _ _ _ T Research and Development" Team...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
dutchalltheway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm actually interested in the performance of the O.S.55 in the T _ _ _ T too......
30 minutes out of the 61FX is awesome!!!!!*two thumbs up*...I have never flown my tank empty with the 61FX..but I did start to put 2 flights in per tank....normally I re-filled after each flight..but it just hardly took any fuel in..so now I fly 2 flights per tank.
I'm realy not afraid to have a "dead stick" with this plane. The only 1 time it happened, people were amazed how smooth this baby came in...there is really nothing to it, so if I happen to run out of fuel..well...so be it!!

I am also curious how the 150-size flies...can't wait for some flight reviews here...

Search this Thread