Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

The T_ _ _ T !!! Yipeeeee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63916.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	753687  
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 AM
linkadrip

Amazing i hope to have skills like that someday ...Someday...[sm=72_72.gif] I guess i better not crash it will take me forever to rebuild....
Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 AM
BendR

NCIS, bummer about the crash. Looks like repairs should be easy.

Waldo, you are an inspiration. I don't know that I would have taken on a repair that in-depth. It probably would have gone in my trash can. Good job!! Makes the repairs i have to do look like child's-play. Hope to get mine finished tomorrow. I'll get some pics up (sometime).
Old 08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waldo.you tha Man! Very nice repair job.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
DNAer

Holy Cow!!! I would have thrown that away with 1/4 of the damage your's had. It looks like brand new. Nice job.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM
NCIS

Waldo,

I am a scale builder of Giant Warbirds and have seen worse work on a kit that someone built new. Your repairs are just amazing. I think you are a Master Builder just hiding under ARF's.
Do you build in the Winter or just stick with ARF's? If so you are really wasting a given talent. I am going to be building a 10 foot wingspan Don Smith F4U-1D Corsair with a 20 HP 3W twin cylinder gas for power this Winter and probably a couple more. It will be true to scale all the way down to rivits and panel lines. I wish my new canopy would arrive so I could fly it today. It's already 2pm and no canopy.

Gibbs
Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

Alright everyone, the Twist Bipe is finally complete. The engine is broken in, the top wing is more than secure (I beefed it up quite a bit from when I attempted a maiden a few weeks ago), and I think it looks pretty good. I did steal a page from here and make a trap door behind the wing because I really have no idea what it will need CG wise. With all the added lift in the front of the plane the battery is currently just behind the fuel tank (and the Magnum 91 FS is pretty heavy too). The CG is about 5" from the LE of the lower wing, and about 4" from the LE of the upper wing. I have a couple of more fuselage supports than before and I'm no longer worried about the top wing coming loose..

Now for the bad news.. She came in at 6lbs, 14oz. Definitely a little heavier than I had hoped but that means that besides the weight of the extra wing, my epoxy, wing mounts, carbanes, screws, trap door, etc added around 8oz.. With 1400sq inches of wing, it'll float I'm sure, but I hope the Magnum 91 is up to the task.. If not, I can't go to a bigger four stroke that'll fit so I may have to strap on an OS91FX.. Plan to maiden tomorrow AM, wish me luck!

Sachin

Name:	Xv64557.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	753914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94543.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	753915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79903.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	753916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16964.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	753917  
Old 08-31-2007, 03:14 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I think it's a new plane myself......[:-]
Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
NCIS

skukreja,

One question, Why? Now you gave Hanger 9 the idea and without a patent to protect yourself they will just steal your idea. Hurry and get a patent and you might be the next Howard Hughes!

Gibbs
Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
NCIS

Prop shifting,

Has anyone had a problem with Tru Turn spinners on a Saito 150 with a 18x6 APC prop? I have ruined two spinners and props because they keep shifting. I am afraid to tighten the prop nut and lock nut any more than I already am. I tighten it so tight that it squeaks a bit. The Tru Turns were slipping on the prop hub because they were not nurrled on the back of the backplate. Now I switched to a Magnum spinner that has nurrles on the front and the back of the backplate. Help me with some ideas or how you keep yours from shifting. Are APC props know to slip because they are so hard. The other props I've used show the nurl marks on them when you take them off. The APC prop doesn't show any sign that it was even on. Why doen't Tru Turn nurl the back of the backplate? I'm going to e-mail them.

Please give me some remedies,

Gibbs
Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Downtrodden

Remedies........I find that if I chew two wintergreen leaves headaches disappear. Toadflax blossoms will open the pipes if you're having a hard time peeing (but I wouldn't take any before bed as you'll be changing the sheets....... at least that's what I've been told). Spraying an area with warts with a daily blast from an inverted can of "Dust Off" is just as effective as liquid nitrogen without the cost of a doctor's visit (or the $20+ commercial product). The quick release of propellant chills and kills the virus that causes warts. Ask Saito what the torque spec is for the setup you're using. I have a feeling you're nut(s) are too loose. (Now there's an opener for ya!)

Anyone interested in an H9 f4u Corsair Arf, O.S. 91 FS, and retract servo all new in opened boxes? ($500) 5 cases of Wildcat 10 & 15 % fuel? $40/case Just thought I'd offer it to T_ _ _ Taholics first.

downtrodden
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
TimC

skukreja, that looks really nice. I'm looking forward to hearing about the maiden.
NCIS, with the cost of Tru-Turn spinners being what they are, that really could be aggravating. I've used a few of these spinners, but never on something with as much torque as a 1.80 Saito. I did destroy a brand new one on a maiden flight once. That sucked.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
NCIS

Twist 150 Jr,

Here is my second Twist 150 all ready to fly. This time I put in a Pilot so he can see and avoid trees!!! If I crash this one and have never crashed any plane I own out of 15 I guess a Twist is not meant to be. God Please Bless this Twist 150!!!

Wish me luck,

Gibbs

Name:	Ec89497.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	753983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60646.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	753984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96223.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	753985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67270.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	753986  
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: Downtrodden

I have a feeling you're nut(s) are too loose. (Now there's an opener for ya!

downtrodden
In certain application , that `s not a bad thing lol! Oops ! Sry my bad .
Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
nitrobeast

Got my twist in yesterday!! Started about an hour ago and have the stab and fin in place.
Back on page 54 Wizzbang showed some bracing he did but i dont see why you would do that to the top of the plane? Any other places that might need some help?

Going to the field now and fly my stick...

Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 AM
naswifty

First, which T<->T did you get?
Speaking for the 40 sized contingient, I can tell you that there's a few "tricks" to help insure many wonderful flights without suffereing the pains of having to rebuild the fuse after a rough landing.
converting to a Sullivan tailwheel saves the rudder quite nicely, and the stiffner mod inside the fuselage to the critically weak area(s) over the top of the wing and ending just behind the cockpit is just an insurance policy that will hopefully keep your bird off the workbench and in the sky.

there are plaenty of pictures as well as explinations available from the original thread that can help you out, or all you have to do is ask for further details and surely any number of us would be glad to help.
welcom to our little part of the sky
jeff
Old 09-01-2007, 04:13 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

So the Bipe had her maiden and all I can say is WOW, what a different plane from the Twist au natural!

It taxied without any difficulty. The Magnum 91FS pulled through the high (and wet) grass out our field with ease. The takeoff run required probably 30-40 feet but I wasn't in a huge rush to get it in the air until I knew my airspeed would be adequate. It quickly launched straight verticle.

The plane flew VERY tailheavy (in fact, it was probably more too much front-end lift than actual tail-heaviness). I flew the Twist monoplane with a CG of around 6.25" and it was very controllable for me - this wasn't. It was frankly scary how twitchy the elevator was. Every small elevator input sent the rollercoaster ride into action. I managed to get her tempered and stable with a little tweaking. It required 6-7 clicks of down elevator to fly level. The engine deadsticked and it coasted in so SLOW! Landing (no wind) was hands-off requiring no elevator input. Landed at literally 1mph, almost rediculous.

Second flight was more of the same. I had to put 90% expo on the elevator to make it controllable and the throw was only about 1.5." It did all the stunts and tricks I threw out it. Rolls were perfectly axial, Harriers were a joke, Hovering was easy, Flat spins were level and flat. However, the rudder has some crazy coupling that will require some aileron mixing but that should be ok. Then I tried to land - I couldn't do it! With the engine running at idle I couldn't get it to decend enough to land. The engine eventually ran out of fuel and again, it coasted in at an incredibly slow pace. Landings (I haven't even tried playing with the flaps yet) are so simple, even with a dead engine, that it was easier to land than a trainer.

I had to run so I didn't get to tweak it anymore. I will move the battery as for forward as possible and I hope that's enough. I guess the front of plane has so much lift that even with the heavier engine in the front, it's still not enough - I just hope it doesn't need additional weight).

I have a video that I will post eventually. It's not the best quality (I had my girlfriend use her digital camera) and the flight path wasn't exactly "predictable." That's all folks!

Sachin
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM
nitrobeast

ORIGINAL: naswifty

First, which T<->T did you get?
Speaking for the 40 sized contingient, I can tell you that there's a few "tricks" to help insure many wonderful flights without suffereing the pains of having to rebuild the fuse after a rough landing.
converting to a Sullivan tailwheel saves the rudder quite nicely, and the stiffner mod inside the fuselage to the critically weak area(s) over the top of the wing and ending just behind the cockpit is just an insurance policy that will hopefully keep your bird off the workbench and in the sky.

there are plaenty of pictures as well as explinations available from the original thread that can help you out, or all you have to do is ask for further details and surely any number of us would be glad to help.
welcom to our little part of the sky
jeff
Thanks for the info. Yes its the 40 size, sorry should of mentioned it. I'll take a look at the old thread too.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 AM
BendR

skukreja, congrats on the maiden of the bipe! That's fab. Looks great too.

I finally got off my butt and finished the repairs yesterday. I'm not real happy with my covering job but, it's covered and who knows how long it will last anyway Gonna go see about getting a few flights in this morning. Weather DH is calling for rain this afternoon so I gotta get out early.

Hope y'all have great flights this weekend!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
WizzBang

ORIGINAL: nitrobeast

Got my twist in yesterday!! Started about an hour ago and have the stab and fin in place.
Back on page 54 Wizzbang showed some bracing he did but i dont see why you would do that to the top of the plane? Any other places that might need some help?

Going to the field now and fly my stick...

Thanks

NB - I added the light ply and triangle stock to this area because I had two hard landings that damaged the fuselage above and forward of the wing. If you nose the plane in and it strikes the front gear a shock wil be trasfered along that bulkhead. There is very little ply there to give the fuselage strength so it is my experience that it is a good idea to build up this area. It was a really easy mod and only took 20-30 min to cut the parts and epoxy them in. Here are a few more pictures.

Name:	Us53949.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	755022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93121.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	755023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15517.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	755024  
Old 09-02-2007, 08:09 AM
WizzBang

skukreja - Awesome job on the biplane! I didn't realize it was possible to have too much lift. Perhaps moving the battery and / or adding some weight will help. A four cell battery will fit under the fuel tank but it's a tight fit. Unfortunatly, you'll have to take the tank out to try it.

I believe you might have just started something with this one. There's allot of Twist wings without fuselages out there (after catostrophic fuselage failure). Keep us posted on the flight reports.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM
nitrobeast

Thanks for the pics. I will do that for sure. You can almost see through the balsa on top of the plane.
Besides that the plane goes together easy and smooth.

Name:	Yw67649.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	755411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37672.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	755412  
Old 09-02-2007, 06:20 PM
linkadrip

Think i will brace mine before i have a hard landing and find out the hard way. good pictures of the mod. Now i just have to drive 50 miles to get the wood for the mod. I guess i could order the wood but it seems so much better to go and get some at a hobby store. Would be nice if HomeDepot or one of the hardware stores sold balsa wood.[]

But Looks like a good idea. I already broke the back bone of the fuse the little Strip of balsa right behind the cockpit. It was a stupid mistake, i was stepping over the plane and my shoe cought the ridge right behind the cockpit and broke that little Strip but it's not noticable till you run your hand along it, but sure is frustrating to make such a dumb mistake. Not a very easy peice to get to for a repair eighther. unless i make a hatch behind the wing.

I probably wouldn't feel so bad about it, if it would have happened from a landing but to just step over the plane and just clip the fuse and break that litte runner is a bummer.[:@]
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM
NCIS

Balsa backbone???

The Twist 150 is all plywood on the fuselage. Did they make everything on the 40 balsa? That just doesn't make good sense if I am getting what your saying right. I am going to put plywood under the cockpit like you did and add strength to the backbone. There is plywood there no but with lightning holes in it. This is where my first Twist 150 broke. At all the lightning holes weree cut out and the ply was narrow. Everything else was OK except a little damage to the wing tip on the tree side and a lost wheel pant that someone recovered for me. 1st thing in the morning I'll add 1/8" plywood and trianglular stock to make it even stronger. Maybe it will even come through hitting a small tree. Here are a couple pictures of where it broke.

Gibbs

Name:	Zx71308.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	755480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79231.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	755481  
Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 AM
linkadrip

Yes that little strip that is at the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit there is just a little thin strip of balsa wood. would have been nice if they would have sheeted it. It's a PNP the white one that has the purple see through covering on the bottom of the wing. i will have to take a pic of it.

It doesnt seem to be to noticeable there is a slight indentation in the covering. Feels like balsa but i may be wrong.

Well i went out this morning and tried to fly the twist i'm getting a little tired of the Evolution engine on the plane i have now toasted 2 glow plugs and put the 3rd one in it this morning, one with an idle bar hoping it would last longer. ran it and everything seemed great. Took it out to the field and started it taxied it around a little full throttle straight up into the air and the engine died[X(]. I'm so glad the plane is easy to land but it was a hard landing and bent the gear.

Are the evolution engines bad engines. My saito still has the original plug in it and i have been flying it in my trainer for over a year now and have only had it die once on me. I cant seem to keep this engine running in the air on the ground its fine i just dont understand.

I was thinking it was cause i went straight up, maybe i should have taken off at a 45 degree angle. It was pulling out nicely lots of power then it just blah. So i had my first dead stick landing with the plane.[&o]

Decided to pack it up and come home, Need to look it over make sure there isnt any hidden damages. So has anyone else had these issues with there evolution engine i know most people have saitos in there's and other engines. i think i was told once to dump the engine buy someoneand get something different.

Name:	Om34029.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	755730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84154.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	755731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43102.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	755732  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.