Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Yep - I've got the exhaust deflectors on both T_ _ _ T's, kind of got them pointed up away from the wing. I guess that's as good as it's going to get with out adding tubes, but I don't want the added weight, so I'll just continue to happily keep cleaning the goo off the wings. After 4 or 5 flights I've got to wipe the wings down just to get the goo weight back off I usually have one of the 3D or 60 with me on trips, and it really surprises me when I fly at a new field and a lot of the other pilots haven't seen one yet. After a few flights of ringing it out most of these fields however have got some new T _ _ _ T's flying around not to many weeks after I've left. They admire not only the way it flies, but the looks of them as well [8D]
Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GPutt33

Yep - I've got the exhaust deflectors on both T_ _ _ T's, kind of got them pointed up away from the wing. I guess that's as good as it's going to get with out adding tubes, but I don't want the added weight, so I'll just continue to happily keep cleaning the goo off the wings. After 4 or 5 flights I've got to wipe the wings down just to get the goo weight back off I usually have one of the 3D or 60 with me on trips, and it really surprises me when I fly at a new field and a lot of the other pilots haven't seen one yet. After a few flights of ringing it out most of these fields however have got some new T _ _ _ T's flying around not to many weeks after I've left. They admire not only the way it flies, but the looks of them as well [8D]
So far I`m the only T_ _ _Ter at my club, but after showing up with it, several other 3D planes have shown up.
I agree GPutt , the 2 strokes really slime the plane. I run my Saito 72 with the muffler slightly pointed up and the plane stays very clean.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM
dutchalltheway

OFNAMX....I just saw that picture of your crashed (and repaired) T _ _ _ T. It looks like she broke at the well known weak point behind the canopy, am I correct??Did you consider enforcing that particular spot during your repair??I'm not sure if you are familiar with that specific spot in the fuse. If my explanation is confusing, let me know and I'll describe it in more detailI never had any problems with my 1st T _ _ _ T, but when building my 2nd T _ _ _ T, I decided rather to be safe then sorry, and enforced that weak spot behind the canopy.....you just never know....Great job on your repair though...compliments!!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:37 PM
dutchalltheway

Insane...how the heck are you doing??Still having fun "TWISTING""??Sure hope you do!!..
I'm back in the "AIR" to with a brand new one...LOVE IT!!..

Have a good weekend and lots of flight time.

Dutch.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM
ke4jjh

Greetings from SE Georgia fellow T _ _ _ ters. I have been reading the thread for a while now and you guy are a wealth of knowledge. I've had my T _ _ _ T for about 3 months now and there is no better plane in my book. I started flying in January with a Hobbyzone Super Cub. Cheap and easy to fix. Then went to the H9 P-51 PTS. Flew that for a couple months and got the T _ _ _ T. It was easier to fly than the trainer P-51 and a lot more fun. The T _ _ _ T is the kind of plane and flying that I wanted to do when I got into this hobby in the first place. Can't wait to move up to the 60. Just wanted to jump in and say Hello!

I do have a question. If the thead is so large that they had to break it into part 2, why don't they just give you your own forum?
Anyways keep it up, all us new T _ _ _ Ters need you.

-Andy

If it comes though here is a pic of me on vacation in Transylvania, NC flying my T _ _ _ T
[img][img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67327.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	723651  
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Welcome Ke4jjh, beautiful field your flying in, is that the PNP T _ _ _ T your flying?? in answer to your question RCU said they were working on using a bigger server or something like that and when they had it completed they were going to splice the 2 forums back together again.

Glad you had a great flight Dutch, always good to hear about a successful maiden, thanks for the PM too, I bet it feels great to be back in the drivers seat again.

Well I biffed my plane back in Saturday morning, I had 3 great flights with her and then all of a sudden she got squirrelly as hell so I coaxed her back in for a landing and the right wingtip caught the ground and stopped her dead in her tracks, it broke right behind the usuall breaking spot on the fuse, because of the extra epoxy and build up I did on her in our famous spot, and the right wing tip got smashed in a little, no big deal, she will fly again this coming Saturday, she has looke much worse before, lol, back a few pages there are pics of the mid air disaster, but after the mid air she suffered about a month ago, it looks like some other surface controls are getting weaker, maybe a little more damage then I thought back then, but I have been noticing some warped looking tail feathers and both ailerons seem to be bowing a little more each week, I will address all that this week too. and it figures just before the guy could film the T_ _ _ T is when the crash occured[:@] so we took movies of the other planes I had with me.

My US 1000 at sunrise is now on the RCU shot of the week main page, LOL so at least I have that going for me...

Great flying day we had,, 0 mph winds for about 3 hours then just a slight breeze, we flew from 8am - 1:00pm awesome day.....

Lets get some more pics and videos on here
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dutchalltheway

Insane...how the heck are you doing??Still having fun "TWISTING""??Sure hope you do!!..
I'm back in the "AIR" to with a brand new one...LOVE IT!!..

Have a good weekend and lots of flight time.

Dutch.
Hey Dutch , Glad to hear your back in the air. Yea I`m still Twisted , just got the parts for the Saito , so I should be back in the air by this weekend.
Also got a new puppy and I have had my hands full with him . lol So far he has`nt chewed any planes up . [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2EC3mVgws]Murphy[/link] I think I`ve spoiled him.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM
BendR

Hi fellas! The build has officially started, although at a snails pace. I reinforced the area behind the canopy and have been spending the last hour shoe-horning the .61 FX between the cheeks. I found out something interesting while fitting the engine in the mounts... When you sand composite/plastic it gets very hot and little bits fly off. When you are not wearing a shirt those little hot bits can stick to you[:@]YEOWCH! Glad wifey isn't home 'cause the back bedroom/hobby room is a MESS!!

I got the second of three packages today from TWR but it didn't have the servos in it[]. Hopefully tomorrow the rest of the stuff will show up and I can really get down to bidness. I think I have most of the prep work done now but I'm sure that will change. LOL!

Later folks and happy T_ _ _ Ting
Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Waldopepperaxel

LOL Bendr, Sounds like its all coming together.

Gputt33, That is the most impressive float I have ever seen in any parade or anywhere,, I see it also made the RCU shot of the moment,, very cool,, Nice gallery also.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
ke4jjh

Waldo, yep thats a PNP T _ _ _ T. Them some mighty fine eyeballs you got there. I didn't have any build experience and I'm somewhat impatient, so it was the perfect plane. I have a couple of flat-outs and a foamy to get my feet wet in the building department. Then I have a Transall C-160 ARF with twin .25s to graduate with. I'm in the Sod business so not a lot of free time this time of year and I would rather spend the little time I have flying.

Yes, that was a very beautiful field! Over 65 acres of nice soft 3" thick Kentucky Bluegrass 2,200 ft above sea level and the Blue Ridge Mountains in the back ground. Located between Hendersonville, NC and Brevard, NC just inside Transylvania county. A local sod farm lets the local club fly there and they were kind enough to let let me fly too. They have 2 rules. Rule 1: Don't park on the grass. Rule 2: See rule 1. The tall grass made it kind of hard to take off but every landing was nice and soft. The best part was that with all the open space it didn't matter which way the wind was blowing. You could always land into the wind. By late morning the wind had picked up to about 12 to 14 mph. Did that bother the T _ _ _ T? Nope! It flew like it was made for it. I was even able to do near vertical landings. This is an amazing plane.

That field was a real treat. Our field here in Kingsland, GA is very tight. We have a nice 50'x 300' runway but tall 80' pine trees all around and only a 400' x 1000' opening. Thats about all there is in SE Georgia, pine trees.[&o] I envy all you fellas in the wide open spaces.

Andy
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Waldo,

Sorry to hear about the crash. The good new is you can get high on epoxy again for a couple of nights!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
GPutt33

Waldopepper - Glad you liked the float for the 4th. It was fun putting together and the crowd REALLY seemed to like it. We've already been contacted by a few more folks wondering when they can come out and learn to fly, bring their kids out to learn to fly or to just come out and watch. So our main goal was achieved
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Bratpak

Hey Dutchalltheway,

I always used Futaba radios when I raced RC trucks so it was a no brainer what type of radio I was going to use for planes!!
I have NO experience building..... The only other plane I got is a HobbyZone SuperCub. I have been flying that since the spring and went over to a flying field that is close to me and got hooked on glow airplanes.
So I ended up ordering the T---t .
Thank you for your help and I am sure I will have questions to ask you guys here!!
There is just so much information here to soak up!!!
I only have 100 more pages to read on the T---t thread. It's better than a Harliquin Romance novel !!!!LOL

Mark
Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Ke4jjh, Thanks,, but it is not my fine eyes by any means,, LOL it was the non traditional yellow and purple that led me to that model, I knew it wasn't the 60 because you said you were going to upgrade to the 60 size,, MY friend absolutely loves his 60 T_ _ _ T,,,, I think its a lot more durable too. At first I thought it may have been the 1.20,, but again,, after reading the Upgrade to .60 size you stated, you would have been down sizing. so i figured it wasn't that, I was just wondering if you Mono-coted it differently as it looked Black on the bottom of the wing because of the light, Just had to do a little calculus of words is all, I'm not used to seeing the PNP pics.

Thanks Adam,,,, you know me all to well.....

Gputt33, Its always great when you get to attract more people into the hobby, you have quite the hanger of toys to impress them with also, Who's Tripe was that done up like Ernst Kesslers Lola plane?? that is hot, I've been waiting to build one for years, but my friend beat me to the punch, Here is a link to his take off crash 1st time out this year[X(] http://youtube.com/watch?v=z8h51_4ifgk he fixed it since then so its all better, lol, I'm sure I will build one in the next couple of years anyway, but first I have to build the T_ _ _ T Tripe now, Because I don't know when to shut my mouth, LOL.. and I'm the type of person who has do anything I ever say i'm going to do, I don't really care if it works great, but I have to uphold my word, its all we really have. If it fails, it fails,, but I assure you it won't be from the lack of effort or Glue [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] going into it.
I guess I just like to have lots of goals.

Bratpak,, Yes I agree this is the best story I have ever read for sure... [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Calcomputers

Picked up a T_ _ _ T a month or so ago and have about 10 flights on it. WOW!! What a great performing airplane. Now that I am trying to fine tune it, I thought I'd ask the "experts" here about the aileron control throws. The manual says to set the rates the same for up or down on all the rates. Is this what most people are doing? Some of the local pilots say they set up their planes with different amounts of up and down movement. Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 01:55 PM
BendR

The assemby has hit a bit of a bump.

When I got the package the other day one end of the box was mashed up pretty badly. I took everything out and all looked OK. Well,,,,,I was setting the wing on this eve to get the tail squared up and felt something a bit strange int he wing. Looked at it closer and turns out that two ribs were crushed in transit[:@].

I called up Horizon and told them everything and the nice young woman told me that they would ship a new wing to me right away and she would ask the shipping dept to double box it. sweet, well, kinda....I was hoping to maiden it this weekend. It will be two weeks minimum before I see the new wing but I do have to correct colors of Ultracote and a brand new covering iron. Hmmmm......glad I went ahead and ordered that stuff.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the damage. I know someone will have a few ideas on a good repair without adding too much weight to one side of the wing.

Oh one more ? while I'm at it. If you look close at the front spar you can see some "splices" in the balsa. Are these normal or are they also the result of the shipping damage? It looks too clean to be a break but it's with the grain so it's hard to tell. Thanks in advance,

Bummed in a foreign land...

Name:	Pn35432.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	724782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91167.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	724783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99010.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	724784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74419.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	724785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69785.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	724786  
Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
BendR

Update........

OK, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was just a little peeved at first. It only took about 10 minutes to put humpty back together again. A little ca and some kicker and it's as good as new. Just have to try my hand at covering tomorrow when I get home.

Here's the after photos.

Name:	Rp43978.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	724816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47850.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	724817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38076.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	724818  
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Bendr Nice job on the repair,, Fly that baby !!!!!

Calcomputers, Welcome to the thread, Glad your enjoying the T_ _ _ T,, we all do for sure,
It is sometimes recommended to have a little less throw on the down Aileron while the up aileron can have more throw, I believe this is suppose to help your snap roll stay a little more stable, but this plane snaps so fast I don't think it has time to become un-stabile,, here are some random numbers just made up as I'm not home right now with the actual formula of percentages.

If your right aileron goes up 2 inches the Left aileron should go down about 1 3/4 inches,,, But I have never had a problem just letting them both go as far as I can get them, I set the low rates to the recommended rate, I don't know why, I never even click the button to low rates, and the high rates are as far as I can get the throw on them

Hope that helped, I'm sure other members have the actual data in their head and can offer some insite to this as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Adam G

Gary,

Nice job on the repairs. It is amazing how quick it goes once you dive into it.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
ke4jjh

Mr. Pepper....

Brilliant bit of deduction Mr. Holmes. Spot on ole man spot on.
Nope, no re-cover just the way the light was hittin it. I love the transparent purple covering on the underside of the wing. It makes it so easy to spot damage. The green and white on top grows on you.
Could be those of us who buy the PNP's might feel a little guilty about not putting in all the long hours of build time and therefore are not posting pics of their planes.... but I doubt it, we would just rather fly them. I'll post more of mine in the future.

BendR.... That seems to be a common problem. Seem the better you package something, the harder they try to break it. Great job on the repair. Looks great. Did they ask for the damaged wing back? If not then WooHoo! Hey, you've got two wings now. You can Build a Bipe too!

Ok, we have Skukreja building a Bipe-T _ _ _ T and Mr. Pepper is going to build a Tripe-T_ _ _ T. Who can we get to build a Twin-T _ _ _ T. Put a couple .46s or .61s on it. What about a Tri-Power T _ _ _ T. (Tim the Toolman Taylor Grunts) That would be a site.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
BendR

Thank for the kudos guys.

When I called and told them about the damage I fully expected them to ask me to ship the damaged wing back, but, nope, the lovely sounding young woman on the phone told me no problem they would got one one in the mail right away. YAY!! I didn't want to cut into it until I knew what they wanted so after she told me that sending the wing back wasn't necessary I started the sugery. I was delighted to find it was an easy fix and now it's as good as new. I ended up going over the whole wing with the iron and now it looks 10x better than before. I be pleased

Name:	Us52682.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	725936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97934.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	725937  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Adam G

Bendr,

Looks good! Let's hear a flight report!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Nitro Dew

WOW! It took me forever to get around to getting my T---t out of the box - started last night! This thing is impressive and I'll have her together in no time, although vacation will get in the way. Unfortunately, I stripped the wing bolt immediately, replaced it with an aluminum one. Gonna place a 46 AX w/a tower muffler in it and prop it with an APC 12.?? x 3.??. Sitting on the visitor's bed (workshop) the T---t presents itself well ... can't really place my finger on it. I don't have canopy glue, has anyone used epoxy instead? Is it a good substitute, or anything else? I believe I may be working on my new favorite plane!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Well that does look good, excellent job plus you have two wings now, so yes I agree with Adam, a flight report is going to be needed, good luck.

Well I fixed my crashaster from last week and she looks ready to smash again, [X(]Yee haaa, So maybe I won't fly her until the camera guy gets there this time, well I'm the camera guy, but someone else has to use my camera. She's a little loose and the skin isn't looking as pretty, but she should fly again.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hey nitro ,, you squeezed that baby in there while I was writing,, LOL

I just use 4 small wood screws to hold my Canopy down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.