Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Varad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Hey everyone I have a quick question about my Twist 40. I am using a Futaba 7CAF radio with standard bb S3004 servos. I am also using the standard hardware that came with both the plane and the servos. The problem is that I can't get the recommended 3D throws on this plane. I have the dual rate maxed out to 140% on all control surfaces and I still fall a little short. btw I have the linkages set on the farthest mounting hole on the servo arm and the closest hole on the control surface horn. What are my options to increase the throws? The only thing I can think of doing is purchasing longer servo arms.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Waldo, screws may be what I resort to, I've never glued a canopy. Varad - there are several options and maybe one problem. Bad news first - hopefully you didn't get the surfaces glued to closely together. Other than that, it's just a matter of testing differnet arms and holes. Use your ailerons to test since you can easily compare them side by side, but don't forget, more throw equals less torque, if I understand it correctly. Anyway, I've run into this problem in the past and tend to let it slide, but I'm testing arms and holes on the T---t just so I understand how it works.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
delman

Dubro makes the larger servo arms that will give the control throws you are needing.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 PM
dutchalltheway

Well..today was my flying day, but...a short one!![:@]It was pretty windy, but that makes flying kinda cool too...so..I took up my brand new baby, and flew her like usual. When I did a low pass-by, we heard some flutter. When I took the plane down, the wind had managed to torn off the top layer of the covering of the right side of the wing!![:@]..So...that ended my day!!I did not want to tape it down, since the damage was to significant. Got to do some ironing now...well...at least..the plane is still in 1 piece!!..It was actually too windy to fly comfortable though..I had problems getting the plane down!!..The wind worked as one large elevator..it kept pushing the plane up....We'll try again next week...
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Varad,

I wonder if there is isn't something else going on. I have relatively short arms on my 3003's, and have more throw than I need at 100%. Can the ailerons physically move more than they are now? If you hinged them too tight there is a possibilty that you are getting all the movement out of them you can before they bind. Check it out. If this is the case, it is an easy fix. Just cut the hinges and rehinge by cutting new slots and using new hinges.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
jacklegchris

Thar I wuz a beautiful day to fly. My t---t 40 flying well couldn't have been better.... then it happened. Another pilot with the same radio chanel as mine turned on his radio. You can guess what happened[:@][:@]. Our frequency board you take the white clothes pin with your chanel # put it on your antennae and place a red clothes pin on your frequency. I did that and thought I was safe. But no, he just put his AMA card on the red pin wile I was flying and proceeded to start up his plane that's when disaster struck. He finally (after realizing it was his fault) offered to pay me for the ARF so I bought the 60 T---T and put my magnum .91rfs on it. Only weighing a pound more than the 40 that I had the .91 on Power is very awesome. The 60 (after 4 hrs. assembly time) flew great. I think I found a keeper.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Varad

Thanks for the help. I will check the hinges but I am sure they are fine because I have put together a lot of arf's. I think I need longer arms as delman was saying. But dutchalltheway was saying his practically same servos had plenty of throw. I only checked the elevator and rudders and couldn't get the manuals suggested 3D rates but I could get their suggested high rates at about 140% (max) throw. My low rates are all 60% on the transmitter. And Nitro Dew, I would suggest screws to hold the canopy thats what I use and its cleaner and you can get in if you have to because I have a voltwatch in the cockpit area. I suppose I will look at dubro's arms and give it a try.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Adam G

Varad,

Sounds good, longet servo arms should do the trick then. I second the canopy screws. I just us 4 servo screws that have the washer already built in. Seems to hold up well.

Down,

You been getting any flying in up there in the U.P.? Must be nice up there htis time of year. Watch out for Big Foot in them there hills.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks all - simple screws it is ... now, back to work, hinging rudder, placing servos and engine in today. That will be it for three weeks, work and vacaton are taking me out of pocket, but I will be flying my little WM SS-40 this afternoon.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
BendR

Dutch, glad you got 'er down in one piece. I found quite a bit of loose covering on the new T - - - t.

Jacklegchris, That sux! Was he new to the field and didn't know the system or ??? At least he offered to pay.

Well, I finally got it built. Took me forever, I bet I have 20 hrs in it. Half of that time was fixing my own screw-ups and looking for tools that I just set down on my way too small work space. Unfortunately, no flying forme this weekend. Fires in the mountains have two Antonov AN-2's at the airfield fighting the fires. When they aren't in and out all the time, they are parked on our runway. Hope to get a break in run on the engine tomorrow at least.

I thought I would throw in a pic. Be prepared, it looks just like all the others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58686.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	727492  
Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
WizzBang

I busted up my Twist again today. What really sucks is we have our Fun Fly tomorrow so I have to fly my backup plane (CG Hotstik). I was coming in on approach for a touch and go when another pilot taxied onto the runway. I was pretty far out so I chopped the throttle and let it slow down. The other pilot started his takeoff and I briefly took my eyes off my plane to see what he was doing. When I looked back the Twist was ballooning a bit and was a little closer to the pits than I like to fly. As I attempted to turn the plane I failed to realize it was in a full stall. It snapped right and plowed into the end of the runway. After the incident I realized that I had high rates switch on. This was part of the problem but it was mostly due to dumb thumbs.

After picking up the pieces I called my wife (who was out shopping). I told her about the carnage and explained that I would have to replace my favorite plane. Later in the day she called me back and informed me she picked up a new Twist for me at Hobby Town! My wife is Awesome! The old Twist might still be repairable but now I can get the new one flying and work on the damaged one as a backup.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26631.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	727661  
Old 07-21-2007, 11:32 PM
ke4jjh

BendR...
Great Job! It Looks great!!!. Where ya storing that puppy? Not a lot room in them SEA Hut wall lockers. Don't forget to get clearance from the tower before you takeoff.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 AM
BendR

ke4jjh, Thanks! I can't wait to get 'er inthe air. Sounds like you know a thing or two about Camp Bondsteel. When were you here? I might have been here at the same time. Actually I'm a contractor so I live off base in Skopje, Macedonia. The pics were taken in the living room.

WizzBang, DOH[:@]!!! OOooowwwch. Does your wife have a sister? Just kidding, already hitched to a wonderful woman.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Varad,,, I was using the s3004 bb and I also needed the Dubro long arms Now I be a happy man.

Nitro,,, I use to glue my canopy but I use to use Zap or epoxy and it always started fogging up the plastic, and then it was like having white tinted glass, so I started using screws and loved it, I really prefer using screws on as many things as possible as I like to be able to get at parts without having to tear off pieces, I even pin all my hinges in on at least 1 side of all surfaces so they can be removed with ease. and then I don't have to cut hinges and cut new slots next to the old ones.

Dutch,,, glad to hear you were flying around again, and we always carry packing tape with us for such emergencies, its a great thing for a quick monocote fix, I have even zapped my covering back on when needed, which I have actually done on this T _ _ _ T a few times, its never come off again

Jacklegchris,,, Sorry to hear of the disaster, and it usually does happen on the best flying days, something just has to take the wind out of your sails when things are going great, sometimes on perfect days, I will loosen something or break a piece to make sure conditions aren't absolutly perfect so disaster stays clear from me. (just kidding) lol, but I do think about doing it. Like said by bendr, at least he offered up the cash for shooting you down, some people don't even think of it, I know your lovin' that 60, its a beautiful plane.

Wizbang,,, to bad about the biff, but it all worked out for the better, now you have 2, thanks to you wife, I too have an awesome lady its a great thing I tell you, Hope you had a great time at the funfly.

Bendr, Hopefully those fires will dowse soon and get you back to the air, thats a bummer, my wife & I were laughing when we saw your response about wizbang's wife having a sister, LOL too funny.

Well I put my rebuilt then rebuilt again twist into the sky Saturday, it was a great day for flying, she flys just fine but a little squirrely at times, and she doesn't look as pretty anymore as I didn't have much time to repair her last week, but she still does great, Hovers are getting harder to do as the extra glue and right side of the wing is a little heavier now, I just slapped a piece od balsa on the front edge of the wing tip to get the form back so it looks like a protusion on that side now, but she still flys fine, I need to go back to a 14x4 as the 13x4 seems to have a little trouble holding the extra weight.

and of course no dang video again this week, maybe next week, when most of our club should be back again.

Fly on comrads.....

Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Adam G

Did an overhaul on the T___t last night. Ironed out all the overing, fixed loose covering patches, cut into the wing and fixd some crushed balsa that I knew was there. I also CA'd down some loose flaps of covering that wouldn't iron down anymore as well as tighted all screws and glued my wing dowel back in. I cycled the battery fully over night and .1 amp discharge and .1 amp charge.

It has taken a lot of abuse with no attention over the last several months. Glad to have her all tuned up. Gonna see how she flies tonight when the wind dies down.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
ke4jjh

BendR....
Nope, never been to Camp Bondsteel. Only know what I've read about it, which is how I know you have SEA Huts. SEA Huts are way better than tents and all Army wall lockers are tiny. The ones we had 20 years ago were tiny, old and smelly. So I guess your keeping it under your bunk. How high up the chain did you have to go to get the ok to get it? You need to get the whole camp to drink a lot of beer then go put those fires out so you can fly that plane.

WizzBang... I'm with BendR on the sister, dude! That's one heck of a lady you got there.

Nitro Dew... Another vote for screws. Packing tape works great till you can find screws.

Waldopepperaxel... We seem to be having a similar problem. I can never get anyone to go with me to operate the camera. Maybe I'm flying too early in the morning.

Finally got to go flying this weekend. Got up early, loaded up and headed to the field. When I got to the field there was a good 5 to 10 mph crosswind which meant I had the field to myself. By the time I got unloaded and set up the wind had kicked up to a steady 10mph with gusts to 12 to 14. No problem for the T _ _ _ T it liked it. I would pull it into a vertical stall and let the wind push it backward twisting while it did. Then I did some almost vertical touch and go's. The T _ _ _ T is about the only plane I would consider flying in that strong of wind. Had to cut the fun short as a thunderstorm showed up and rained on my parade.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Downtrodden

I was supposed to be the 3D flight demonstrator at the airport this past Saturday, but backed out as Sunday was the 1st annivesary of Jack211's passing. I packed up the kids and and spent the last four days at our cottage at the lake. Once my wife arrived I motored out into Lake Superior and trolled for salmon and lake trout in my canoemaran.........two Coleman canoes braced with aluminum 2x4's and decked in between (very stable). I ventured three miles out to the scum-line, and yet I didn't get a bite. When fishing the connecting inland waters the kids and I hammered the small mouths and my youngest girl caught herself a 23-1/2" 4lb walleye! My biggest catch was a 4-1/2 lb smallie.......I couldn't even buy a walleye nibble! Oh well, that's why they call it fishing........and not catching. I'm sorry to report that I've flown less than 4 times this summer, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I love reading the T_ _ _ T tales though.........keep 'em comin'. Peace
downtrodden.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Waldopepperaxel

DownT Sounds like a great getaway, Fishin on the lake, Soory nuthin was biting for you but at least your daughter showed you how to do it,, Dang,,, 23 1/2 lbs !! [X(] she must have had some good fight in her to reel that baby in, And I took my T_ _ _ T to the highest point I could see in the sky Saturday, just to say hello to a good ol' friend, we remember Jack211 well, So I thought he might appreciate a closer look at my Mangled looking T_ _ _ T.

K4jjh Yes that seems to be a problem, Every week I get to take videos of all the other planes But I never get any of me,, I suppose I should ask someone there but I always forget to ask them as I'm taking the movie of their flight then I take my plane off and everyone else is still flying,, I think i need a patients lesson....

Here is a video of a T_ _ _ T .60 there is about 5 or 6 different clips of the 60 so poke around the site. this one was just a nice slow close fly by.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mhRXLxHF8f0
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Adam G

Down,

Old Jack 211 is gone but not forgotten. I have several of his planes to remind me everyday. Let's hope he is flying his Twist up in the sky as we speak!

For those of you on the thread for less than a year Jack 211 was an extremely gifted writer and RC pilot. He waould wax eloquently with long post about his T___t adventures. He always welcomed all new posters, and would answer questions in detail, no matter how repetative they became. I picked up my first T___t due to the inspirations of his stories. He, of course, answered all of my questions on engine choices, prop sizes, servo choices, etc., etc. that we all contemplate. He will be missed.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Downtrodden

Waldo, I didn't edit my original post and it still reads 23-1/2 INCHES not pounds!!!!!

I paid my tribute to ol Jack211 by bobbing, like a cork, in 4ft rolling swells and admiring the clouds. Poured a shot of Godiva liquor (his favorite) for him and then took one myself. He is fondly remembered. It's too bad good friends like that are so far and few between.

Peace,

downtrodden
Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
ke4jjh

Waldopepperaxel...
That was almost too close a fly by. Great job on the camera. I'm afraid I might have ducked. Thats a great field you have there. I envy all you guys with the wide open spaces. You won't find a field that size within 50 miles or more from here. Unless you go to the beach.

Jack211 sounds like a great guy and I can tell he was well loved. All the devotion you guys are showing him speak volumes for his character. People like that are a true gift to the world and are never in the world long enough, but for the people they touch, they live forever. I would have liked to have known him.

-Andy
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Downt,,, LOL,,, Okay I see that now,, maybe I should get some of my money back on those speed reading classes,,, [&o] oh wait, I think I skipped those classes,, I don't remember,,,[:-] it was the late 60's and early 70's,,, Oh yeah, now I remember, I just started using Zap and epoxy back then. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I was a plane building man then,,, who had time for speed reading?? Now if I studied a little better, maybe I wouldn't have built so many planes wrong in the start of my career. I'm glad you got to have shot out there in the water. I do the same thing.

Ke4jjh, Yes I thought it was close just because of the camera lens, but I was able to taste fuel going by on that one,, I love that taste.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Adam,, very well put, And if it wasn't for Jack and Downt I probably wouldn't be part of this thread, the stories were great and the help from them is incredible, just by reading all their advice/stories/and picking on each other was more then enough to suck me right in, it was truly a devestating loss for us all, to never have met any of you and to feel the way I did when I heard the news was just unbelievable to me, I stated it before, but I will always own a T_ _ _ T just for the great memories and the great friends I have made here.

Jack211 Keep that plane high, I know you get to fly every single day.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Lawdawg131

Waldo we have spoken about this and I wanted to get the question out there a little more...guys I just acquired a os fs 61 that I am pondering putting on the t___t PnP replacing the evo 46. Does anyone have any experience with this engine??? Would it work well with the t___t???
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 AM
WizzBang

Sunday's fun fly was great. We had 18 pilots show up and probably 70 spectators. I've never participated in one so it was a new experiance for me. I'm hoping to participate in a couple more events this year at other clubs.

I opened up the new Twist Sunday after the Fun Fly. I'm having a little trouble deciding if I should leave the stock covering or change it to something more unique. What would you guys do? As I am undecided, I began to strengthen the area behind the canopy and in front of the wing. I'm using carbon fiber square tubing to build up the area behind he canopy. I'll also be adding some triangle stock and light ply to the area above and in front of the wing. While I'm at it, what other areas should I be beefing up?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 AM
naswifty

Law. . . I have a Siato .72 in my PnP, and it's got power to spare. only problem is that even at it's lowest idle, it still wants to stay in the air. won't sit still on the ground, either. . . but once it's airborn, hang on!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.