Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 AM
linkadrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Part II - Thread Continuation

Looks like i'm going to have alot of reading to do again, Just prchased a swift 40 3d PNP. hope its a fun plane looks like it is, but can see its like any other requires some research I dought i will plug a receiver in it and just go fly it. Looks like a great thread with lots of valuable information.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
airstik2003

havent flown my twist in 2 years i might bring in to the field some time this year

havent posted here i over 2 years
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
MAndren
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys,

In case you have not seen it yet, the Twist has a sibling! The Tango! Same wing as the Twist, just a high wing. It flies great and does the best upright flat spins. It is one of those planes you just want to fly to see what you can get it to do. The plane comes pre hinged and takes no time to get together and in the air.

Here is the link to the plane and video should be up this week for it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4600

Also here is the thread that is started on the plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6161951/tm.htm

Here is a picture of the plane and how it comes out of the box.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80150.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	732368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33551.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	732369  
Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
ke4jjh

Naswifty...
Groovey shirt man. Love the T _ _ _ Ts too. Whats the VP all over them?

I just got my 2nd twist this weekend and I'm going to re-cover it. Got any ideas?

I can relate to the losing your flying field. We will be losing ours soon. Too many houses going in too close to be flying gas and glow. Electrics should be ok if they'er not to big. I hope we find a new one soon but as you can see from the photo below, I'm not going to miss it too much. Its a very tight field. I hope your club gets a new one soon too. At least you have the secret one.

[img][/img]

Name:	Tr49586.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	732533  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM
naswifty

ORIGINAL: ke4jjh

Naswifty...
Groovey shirt man. Love the T _ _ _ Ts too. Whats the VP all over them?

I just got my 2nd twist this weekend and I'm going to re-cover it. Got any ideas? .
VP makes racing fuel for all types of motor sports. I used to race GoKarts and has a bunch of the decals hanging around. When I graduate to gas motors, I'll be using the 110 octane unleaded with Blendzall racing Castor Oil.

If you campare the AVATAR pic of my "twins" to the current one, you'll obviously notice the post repair color scheme change. A lot of that is due to the conditions that caused the crash and necessitated the re-covering of the fuse and some of the wing. The PnP is white, and on final approach, the LE just blended into the background and I lost orientation somewhat and clipped a wing on touchdown, My flying skills are still that of "crude novice" at best, so I needed something that stands out more than the original white with purple and green on top. the T...T with the red arc's on the upper wing/elevator and LE now present hight contrast to the horizon, making it tons easier to keep level. I confirmed this phenomium with the other "stock" PnP. I took the box stock PnP T...T up for a few laps around the pattern. on final, as it dropped out of the blue sky background, it started once again to loose it's "definition" against the horizon. Before the next flight, some electrical tape was applied to the LE and it made all the difference in the world again.

My recommendation is to be as original as possible with the covering and have a blast. rip off the canopy and get yourself a pilot figure to add a little more uniqueness. . .

Name:	Tr49514.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	732692  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

hey guys, I'm getting a twist soon, just wondering what torque servos everybody is running? thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
WizzBang

I use the standard Futaba 3004's. I've never had any reason to upgrade.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I use the standard 3004 as well,, no problems at all

Naswifty, Nice pics!! I dig the shirt as well, I see you have Bart piloting the T_ _ _ T, I had Homer piloting mine until a mid air dropped him into the twilight zone, [] I'm hoping to recover him in the winter months when the field has grass less then 4 feet high.

Johnf610, So sorry to hear of the flying day cut short, I always carry clear packing tape to the field for such emegencies, at least it will keep you in the sky for the day.

ke4jjh That looks like a great field, I really miss our paved runway, I've never done so many landing gear repairs as I have once we moved to the grass bumpy field, It is a great spot to fly and its slowly getting flatter, but in the meantime extra epoxy for the landing gear on all birds, especially the retract planes.

Welcome 38, Linkadrip & Mandren glad to have you aboard

Wizzbang,, Looks great, get that baby in the air

Well I spliced all the T_ _ _ T footage together we took over the weekend and went to post it on Youtube, But Just like I thought would happen, it only took 1 clip of the 7 that were spliced together I just don't get it it will take spliced AVI files but not MOV files I hate that. Now I have to go make every clip an AVI file then put it into Windows movie maker and splice them together in that program so it will come out all on 1 movie, plus the transfer really kills the quality of the film, needless to say many hours of splicing / naming and editing files,,, Ughhhh,,,, I have to get a real camera. I be posting it as soon as I get it done.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Bratpak

Thank you for the replies on the CG question I had, I will just leave it where it is for now and see what happens. Might be able to maiden it tomorrow night.

Mark
Old 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM
BendR

Bratpak, best wishes on the maiden!

Howdy folks! I haven't been lost, just waiting, waiting........Got the break-in runs done past weekend and got 'er all setup (finally). hope to get some wind under the wings this coming weekend. Weather looks good so far so I'll keep my fingers and toes (and anything else I can) crossed.

*edit* Hi Adam! I wanted to thank you in "public" for all the help. THANKS!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
ofnamx107

Hey guys! I dont know if you remember a couple weeks ago I crashed my Twist and rebuilt it. Well when I went to fly it after the repair something bad happened lol. I guess I did not get the airframe completely straight when I glued it back together. I had all the trims level, upon take off, as soon as i let off the elevator my twist headed straight for the ground!!! I trimmed it all the way back and it still would not fly level. I got her landed safely and adjust the servo arm one notch to give more throw in the trim. At this point I should have put it up and gone home but I thought I could make it work like it was, BAD IDEA!!!! I tried to take off again, except this time about 7 feet down the runway my twist shot straight up into the air without me even touching the sticks!! I trimmed it all the way forward and now it was the exact opposite, it was always wanting to go up and not down. I got it to about 300 feet so i could have enough room for error but the thing kept sporadically gaining and losing altitude without me hitting the sticks. The plane was going everywhere, at one point my dad was yelling at me to just cut the engine and let her go down before I hurt someone, but I kept with it. I cut the motor at about 200 feet and let her glide in. I had a nice landing and was extremely glad to have that flight over with!!!! That was about a week ago and I just put her up and havent looked at it. Well last night I got it out and looked at the elevator control arm and the set screw was loose. That explains the sporadic control I was having. The tail end of the airframe needs to be pulled up about an inch so I have to tear down the plane again and redo it. Sorry this was such a long post but I had to share my story haha.
-Cody
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Waldopepperaxel

That was a great story Cody,, LOL, I felt like I was there, Yes just tighten that screw and I'll bet you will be able to trim her out, My T_ _ _ T was so crooked and the wing was so loose, I pretty much said my goodbyes to her before each flight, but it lasted and lasted, it didn't fly how a T_ _ _ T should fly by any means,, But it flew just fine, Alot of trim was needed everywhere to get her to fly semi straight, and then one day the lord blessed me and ripped off the wing in flight during an inverted dive, forcing me to repair her yet again, I flew her for the rest of the season and then bought a brand new one this year, only to have my cousin smash into me in mid air after 4 flights, so I am now the proud owner of yet another rebuilt T_ _ _ T, but shes flying just great.

good luck Bendr, I'll cross a few fingers for you as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Bendr,

No problem, glad to help out a brother.

Downtrodden,

I flew the Hirundo for the first time this past Sunday!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Downtrodden

Adam................what did you think?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:34 AM
BendR

She FLYS!!!! Well, duh, of course it does.

I just got back from a two and a half hour flying session early in the morn. Dead calm (when I got there) and about 68 degrees (perfect!). It's very quiet there in the morning as it is away from the city so it's quite nice. Anyhoo,, I got out some a few of my smaller, electric birds and took them for a spin to get ready for the big moment. Nice flights, blah, blah.... Then I got out the t - - - t and screwed the wing on, checked the engine adn dialed in the needle valve setting. About the time I was ready to fly the wind picked up, A LOT! I knew the rain was coming so this was my only chance, now or never. I wouldn't think of flying my electrics in that wind but I figured why not, lets go! Off it went, didn't need to trim anything but who can tell when the wind is howling 20 MPH. After the second heart attack, I finally calmed down. Man[X(], this thing hauls!! Did a few laps and a few "practice" landings. The wind blowing around the hanger was terrible but I finally decided my heart couldn't take any more so I brought her in. I overshot the "runway" (actually a small concrete ramp for the full size planes) but set it down very softly in the grass just beyond it. The plane landed almost vertically and didn't roll at all. WOOHOO!!!

I cleaned it up and started packing everything up. The wind was blowing stuff everywhere. As soon as I got everything put in the jeep, the wind stopped, dead calm Figures. So, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to drag everything back out of the jeep or not. The sky was getting dark and I knew it wouldn't last so I got the typhoon out and took it for another spin. As soon as I put it away after the last flight I noticed the sky looked bad and was glad I got everything put away. As I pulled away from the hanger, the wind picked up from 0 mph to 35 mph with NO warning. Dust was blowing wildly and I was glad I wasn't still standing out on the field. I would call it good timing but I know it was just pure luck!!

I can't wait to take it out again. Rain this afternoon and tomorrow but maybe it will be calm in the morning and give me a two hour window like today. Again, thanks for all who have contributed to this thread and my successful maiden![sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Downtrodden

BendR..........congrats! Try flying the T _ _ _ T in high winds (35mph) and you'll be surprised how well it flies...........and landing backwards becomes the norm at quarter to a third throttle. I wouldn't recommend flying in dusty conditions though, unless you have an air cleaner and even then it'd be risky. Great report!

Peace

downtrodden
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
ke4jjh

WOOHOO!!! way to go BendR! Glad you finally got to fly it. That feeling doesn't go away, at least not for me. I get it every time I fly this bird. Fly that baby in the wind it likes it. I don't like to fly my T _ _ _ T unless there's a good breeze blowing. Congrats on your successful maiden!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
ke4jjh

Today was one of those should have slept late then got up and mowed the lawn days...well no, come to think of it, couldn't even have done that. Got up at 5:30 did the morning routine S.S.S. (military guys know this) had the truck packed and ready to go at 6:30. The wife, who never wants to go flying with me, decides she wants to go today and so does her nephew. So I'm thinking, ok the more the merrier and I'll have some one to take some pics to boot. Well, all of us married guys know how long a wife can take to get ready. I finally get them in the truck at 8:15 get to the field by 8:30 get unpacked and realize I had left the transmitter at home. So, I sent the wife back for it while I got everything set up. She, of course, had to make a couple stops along the way. I finally get in the air around 9:30. The wind had come up by then but not too bad and it was straight down the runway. The temperature was way up though. man it was hot today. I took the T _ _ _ T up first no probs it flew great. The landing was perfect. Took the P-51 up next. It flew great too. It's landing was perfect as well. It looked like the flying would make up for the day's rough start. Thats what I thought anyway. Next time out with the P-51 it seemed to struggle to get up to speed. I pushed it to full throttle and It took off, climbed out and when I made the first turn on the pattern the engine died and I had a dead stick at about 70ft. I engaged the flaps and that held her up long enough to get her turned back into the wind for a nice soft landing on the grass. I find out that for some reason it had leaned way out since the first flight. I richened her up and back in the air she went. This time she flew perfect. Came in for a touch & go and a freak cross wind gust almost flipped her. I decided that was enough. Packed up and went home. Remember I said something about mowing the lawn. When I got home my son wanted to mow the lawn. That alone should have been a sign. I of course said "sure, be my guest". Well, he couldn't get it started. So I gave it a try and sure enough, on the second pull the rope broke. Ok fine. Forget mowing the lawn I'll tinker with the engine on the P-51 and try to find out why it leaned out on me. Fired it up and notice the ratchet on the needle was a little loose. Shut it down, tightened it up put the screwdriver in my shirt pocket. I tell you I put the screwdriver in my shirt pocket because it plays a major role in what happens next. Fire the engine back up, ran it up to do a pinch test and as I lean over to do the pinch test the screwdriver slips out of my shirt pocket.[X(] I quickly grab for the screwdriver to keep it from falling into the prop but I miss. Only it's not the screwdriver that hits the prop, its my thumb.[:@] So, 2 hours at the emergency room, only 4 stitches because my thumb was so mangled it was all he could get to stay in. Taped the rest of it together, splinted it, wrapped it and told me not to move it for three days. Come to find out that the Doc that fixed me up flys r/c planes too. What are the odds of that? So, as I sit here typing this post slowly with one hand, recounting the events of today I'm tempted to say "maybe I should have stayed in bed". Only tempted though because I did get to go flying today and I wouldn't have missed that for the world. Today wasn't my best day but I sure hope it was my worst.

Anybody got a neckstrap I can borrow for my transmitter, its going to be a little while before I can use my thumb again.

Thought you might find my day interesting.

Name:	Lj23342.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	736660  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 AM
BendR

Thanks guys!

ke4jjh, [:@]OWCH! Man, sorry to hear about that. Was there nerve or tendon damage? Hope it heals ok and your back up in no time. Darn props have no mercy.

Down, 35MPH winds? I would have messed myself! Almost did as it was and wind was 20 gusting to 25. That's what the weather man said when I got home anyway, although out at the sport airfield it's always a bit more.??? The dirt and dust was being kicked up on the other side of the hanger (car side) where they are doing some constuction work. The ramp and flying feild was ok. I was hoping to get some more stick time yesterday but the rain moved in and stayed. We needed it in a bad way but it could have waited until today to do so. Oh well, can't have it all.

I did get quite a bit of sim time yesterday and I can say that even when you overpower it, the sim still does not do it justice. After flying the real thing I realized how slow the sim seemed. Flying *(the real thing)* in the wind was pretty cool though after settling down and thinking about the flight. Haulin' downwind and then turn into the wind and just stop in mid air. Good Stuff!!

OK now I'm just babbling[sm=bananahead.gif]. More coffee, need more coffee[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Waldopepperaxel

I love Coffee,,,, I'll have some too.

The Sim is very different from the actual flight field, the Sim is great for teaching you all kinds of stuff, but when it gets down to it, you still have to deal with the real elements and perceptions at the field, I know a lot of people with sims and it has helped them tremendously, I was tought from old school, Take off, crash[:@] then do it again[:@][&:][:@][>:][8D]

Its very emotional

Ke4jjh,,Wow that was a hell of a story, I thought you were going to tell us how you planted a couple of planes into the ground over the weekend, but that took me by surprise[X(], Hope you heal fast, I had a flight box strap in the earlier days, had it around my neck, unhooked my box was helping someone with their engine, luckily only a .20 and it grabbed my strap when it started, needless to say, scared the crap out of me, thought it was going to pull my face right into the prop, luckily it stalled out in a heartbeat, but a few minutes of unraveling the strap out of the engine feeling the heat on your face from the muffler was the last time I used a strap, that was a very very long time ago,, but there is nothing wrong with the strap, it was the moron wearing the strap that wasn't thinking.

I got 1 flight in with the T_ _ _ T Saturday, we were all up late friday, I overslept Saturday morning, 2 planes went down Immediately right when we arrived, one about 500 yards away, the other God only knows, but it was over trees and somewhere else, After we returned from picking up the pieces to the 1st plane the other guy was already gone in search of his plane, I was like,,, what happened??? where did he go??? Fingers pointed far across the land to a match box size looking SUV parked as close to the woods as he could get, the worst part about this, is the guy who owned both planes was letting other people fly them, so he lost 2 birds in under 10 minutes and wasn't even flying,, thats a bummer, but he is in good spirits as he doesn't mind building, and the 1 plane, he bought it for $50.00,,,, Ready to go, at a garage sale last weekend. they did recover that plane, uh,, or should I say recovered the pieces to that plane, but then it was just Humid, Hot, muggy, and we were all drained from picking up plane pieces, So I flew my T_ _ _ T had a great time, landed her after a few Touch an goes, then we all packed up and went home, I was counting my blessings, besides we had to play a party that afternoon.

And flying the T_ _ _ T in the high wind,,,, is nothing short of a blast
Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Downtrodden

ke4jjh.........what can I say other than.........you shouldn't do things like that.........you could loose an eye...........[sm=pirate.gif]. No, seriously.........I hope your digit is quick to mend. My old flying bud had a similar thing happen to him if you read wayyyy back in the early part of this thread and it was nasty! Just say the word and I'll send you his neckstrap.

BendR........I'm tellin' ya.........high wind flying is a rush!

Waldo.............what da ya think? Is Zap the greatest or what? [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Peace,

downtrodden
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Waldopepperaxel

DownT,,, [8D] LOL I should hope you know I live and breathe Zap I'm going to go down and use some zap right now, I just quit smoking today, we'll see how long this one lasts, I don't like quitters... it has been since midnight last night and I have to get busy building something now, its amazing how much more energy you have, even after the 1st 15 hours, maybe I'm just buggin out and there is no extra energy at all, [&:] LOL either way projects are getting done today, I just pulled the whole kitchen sink faucet apart to replace it with the new one my wife brought home, should have looked at it first, it was the wrong kind, so I re assembled the old one back together,,,, it kept me busy for about an hour though.

I just checked my balance on the T_ _ _ T today for the first time since its mid air, Its finally at 5.0 maybe 5.05,,,, before the crash it balanced at 4.75,,, I could never get it to 5.0 with out adding weight, so I just set it all back together, the way I had it, its been doing great knife edge lately so I thought I'd check CG, I couldn't believe it, so I'm a happy guy for now.

I've been trying to post a good video of the T_ _ _ T in action, but I'm trying to splice all the shots together for one movie, so people won't have to click on 7 different links to view the good parts of the flight, the quality after transferring from an MOV file to an AVI file is still killing me, (losing all the quality) And when I splice the MOV files together, youtube might take clip number 3 out of 7 clips spliced together, (whats up with that???) its driving me freakin crazy I tell you. But i'm still working on it. I have some great footage of hovers, flat spins, knife edge, just about everything you can do with a T_ _ _ T the whole film might be 4 minutes after spliced, and I'm in week 2 about 9 hours to get it working right,, thats just rediculous,,[:@]

sorry to babble on,,, but hey,,,,, I QUIT SMOKING [&:][>:][:-][&o]
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 PM
dutchalltheway

Howdy my dear friends..Just wanted to pop in and see how ya'll doing. Haven't posted for a while. Had to study hard for a promotional option, but heard today I got it!!Last flight with my dear T _ _ _ T was quite windy. I must have had a tear in the ultracote on the wing, cause when I came down low, I heard flutter...appeared that the covering was torn off by the strong wind..[:@]It's all repaired so this Friday it's back into the air!!...See you guys are keeping the mesages coming..cool!!
My T _ _ _ T .60 is ready to maiden as well. Hope all will go well this time around...I'll keep you guys posted!!..
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
jlank
My Feedback: (5)

Good luck with T___T 60 maiden! I have the 60 also and love it, I think I like it better than the 40 size, easier for my 45 year old eyes to see and maintain orientation.

Good luck Dutch

Joel
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
linkadrip

Well i finally got my Twist 40 PNP in the mail yesterday. Awsome looking plane comes witht the evelouton .46 Nt engine mounted. even came with a battery all i have to do is plug my receiver in and a few other little things and she will be ready to go. This will be my first low wing Air plane. i have been flying a trainer now for a year. And decided to go with this plane as my upgrade from the trainer.
I have heard it has good charteristics on landings and flys good i'm not going to goto the 3d setup till, I of course feel comfortable flying it like a normal plane. The instructions have the settings for the throws for normal flight and 3D. First time i have heard of not having to break the engine in casue it has been run in the factory. Can this be right or should i expect there to be some breaking in of the engine. I guess i will find out when i go a start it up.
Well i'm sure i made the right choice i mean the plane has 3 seperate post on it that are 10 miles long so it has to be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.