Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

OK who is getting GP. Lancair ??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

OK who is getting GP. Lancair ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Glassair

I taked to the guy who developed the Walter powered Glassair on the ramp after he flew it in one day. . Whether it's a 3 or 4 , you could have me there. However, it sure wasn't an endorsed by Hamilton-Stoddard, the mfr. They actually published a "don't blame us" statement stating that they did not support the modification in any way. That's resonable when someone does something with yor product that you hadn't considered. 'Course, then they went and developed their own version designed for turbine power. In fact it probacly was a 3, as I think the 4 was this H-S version for turbine power.

The guy's name was Steve something and he did work out of Melbourne or Merrit Island or somewhere down there. Ryan, did you go to FIT? I saw the plane at the Deland Airport, where the Walter engine importer is located. This may very well be the one you refer to as PT-6 powered, since the Walter is a Czech copy of the PW. It's close enough copy that the turbine wheel from a PT-6 fits the Walter.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK who is getting GP. Lancair ??

John,
Just noticed your location. Yep, I went to FIT and saw that Glasair takeoff from MLB several times. That one I am sure is definitely a one-off; I think I read that the guy's airspeed indicator would read high enough to tell him how fast he was going. Needless to say, the S-H version was quite a bit more tame, at around 400HP. Cool planes! I'd build a III if someone kits it. 100" wing would be perfect.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Johng

I believe the one that Byron kitted was the Glassair 2. It is the size you are looking for. I don't know what the difference was between #2 and #3, besides that fact that the #2 was a taildragger and the 3 is trike. Looks funny dragging it's tail around, looks baaad on 3 wheels.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Flyfalcons

I know about the Byron I/II (short tail), but I've heard a few negative remarks about its low speed handling. Of course you can only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, but in either case I despise the short tail look. The current full-scale II's in production can be bought as a taildragger, fixed trike, or retractable trike (my favorite). They are also over two feet longer than the original II, look much better, and apparently handle better due to the longer moments. It's tough for me to tell the difference between a IIS-RG and a III, other than a larger prop and longer gear for the III.

FMI:
http://www.newglasair.com/
Old 03-20-2003, 07:21 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I have a Saito 91 looking for a home and I think this plane is it! I put in an order at my LHS yesterday! $270 :P
Not bad for a Giant scale glass fuse ARF plane.

I think it's funny to buy a factory built model of a home built aircraft!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:20 PM
drj-RCU

i have a spare SAITO 91 laying around too that needs a home and that LANCAIR is the perfect standout craft for the field...

theres way too many of the same planes @ my field...so - for @ least a couple of weeks i MAY be the only lancair pilot out there...

CANT WAIT!!!

...hey wait - isnt it supposed to be out already?
Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

ok let us know how it looks out the box and if any mods have to be made for extra strength and also if indeed a 91 4s would be enough.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:44 AM
drj-RCU

i think a 91 would be ok - the plane is only 9lbs - not too shabby an 80" wingspan...but i think a 100 or a 120 would probably be REAL nice!!

ive spent too much $$ on the hobby lately so - im gonna go with the engine i already have laying around and try to get into "scale flying"...

who knows - it may still haul ass anyway...
Old 03-22-2003, 09:11 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I converted a 81" high wing sport plane to a low wing and used the 91 Saito for power. It pulled this plane around the sky very nicely. I think it will do the same for the Lancair and will even be faster because of the Lancair's aerodynamics.

I'm worried about how the fuse will hold up to the heat of summer. I've seen some FG fuse planes get soft on those 100` days.

I'm sure you guys up north have to worry about how brittle it will get in the winter.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Johng

Yup, I have a Prince America Tucano that will warp in the heat if left bungeed to it's transport cradle here in Florida.

I would think they would come up with at least a kit version of the -IV based on the same fuselage. After all, the Full scale GP and -IV are based on the same fuse.

I guess a real basher could order a "spare" fuse, cowl from tower and scratch up some wings & feathers. Then figure out how to do the retracts....
Old 04-05-2003, 04:12 AM
jetmech51
My Feedback: (3)

My local hobby shop got 2 of these in today and are not spoken for. 770-412-8988
Old 04-05-2003, 05:10 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Default It's shipping

I just got e-mail notification from Tower that my Lancair has shipped.

Hope it arrives in good shape. Has anybody received theirs yet? How did it survive the trip? Hope they travel better than the Patty Wagstaff Extra (see the BIG thread).

Anyway...WooHoo!!

Don
Old 04-08-2003, 07:58 PM
WesleyK
My Feedback: (31)

Default about to start

I just brought one home today. Read thru the instructions and it calls out to epoxy the aileron servos in the wing because it is so thin. I went to the LHS and bought two low profile servos. It comes with the usual small foam wheels. I fly on grass, the wheels will be rubber and slightly larger. I went with a 91fx with the shown Top Flight header and firewall mounted muffler. It will all be inclosed. A nice touch is that a ply baffle that goes in the cowl is included. It should be in the air in a week or so. I have a true turn spinner and the muffler on order. I will have it done before they arrive. I will let you know how it flys as soon as I get done.I will be setting up the flaps like the H9 Ultra stick ie take off and landing flaps. I hope it flys as well as it looks.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about some pictures ?? :-)

SJ.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
WesleyK

Default servo

This is what I will do instead of glueing in the servo. The ruler is to show the edge more clearly. The servo is a Hitech hs77 low profile. Beside it is the provided hatch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	69194_11866.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	31582  
Old 04-08-2003, 10:23 PM
WesleyK

Default side

side

Name:	69195_11866.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	31583  
Old 04-08-2003, 10:24 PM
WesleyK

Default tail

If you would like to see more you can email me and I will zip a few to send to you directly. Let me know what you want to see. I do not want to get excessive on posting. This is looking good. man that wing is skinny. Hope the flaps work good.

Name:	69196_11866.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	31584  
Old 04-08-2003, 10:35 PM
hattend

Looks really nice. Any shipping damage? There was a huge problem with damage with the Patty Wagstaff Extra. Hope they fixed that problem.

Don
Old 04-08-2003, 10:42 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

I went with a 91fx with the shown Top Flight header and firewall mounted muffler.
Are you concerned about the tech note for the muffler that indicates overheating will occur with a 91?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHY74&P=7
Old 04-08-2003, 11:24 PM
WesleyK

Default oops

Thank you for pointing this out. I guess the hobby shop owner was not aware. I know I wasn't. I'll go back tomorrow and order a Bisson pitts. Again thanks. You saved me some headaches and a smoked engine. I have been moving a bit fast on this one. As for damage I have not seen any at all. I just joined the wing and will do some on the fuse tonight. I will keep you posted. Wow I can't believe I missed the muffler thing. Gotta slow down a bit . I am really ready to fly it.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:21 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great...
Old 04-10-2003, 06:55 PM
WesleyK

Default ail servo

Adding rails and using the low profile servo works well with the hatch provided.

Name:	69696_11866.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	31585  
Old 04-10-2003, 07:37 PM
hattend

Default Re: ail servo

Originally posted by WesleyK
Adding rails and using the low profile servo works well with the hatch provided.
How stout are those hatch covers? In your opinion will they last a while? Did you modify them? (glass the inside)

Mine should be here any day...until it gets here, I'll pick your brain.

Don
Old 04-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Flyfalcons

Just checked one out at the hobby shop. Looks to be a very high quality plane. The fuse was great and the tail surfaces very very solidly built. Looks like a winner!
Old 04-11-2003, 03:52 AM
WesleyK

Default hatches

They seem adequate. I installed with the provided screws then went around the front and two sides with a thin bead of RC56 canopy glue. This has worked well for apps like this in the past. I keep getting interupted but hope to finish the wing tomorrow including some additional stripes on the bottom. The color is monocoat Sapphire blue. Also the wing tips do not just slide on. There will be some fitting required. If anyone has some ideas for decals for the top of the wing please post. That big white wing is screaming for something. I just don't know what.

Looks like I'm the first kid on my block to get one. This was the first one at my LHS. It sure is getting a lot of lookers. Hope it flys as well as It looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.