Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 P-51 .60 size with Evolution .61 NT (inverted or upright) I NEED HELP WITH THIS MOTOR!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 P-51 .60 size with Evolution .61 NT (inverted or upright) I NEED HELP WITH THIS MOTOR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
tuskegee pilot
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 P-51 .60 size with Evolution .61 NT (inverted or upright) I NEED HELP WITH THIS MOTOR!!!!

Hey RCUniverse family!

I have a Hangar 9 P-51 with an Evolution .61 NT (non-ringed) in it installed inverted for keeping the scale appearance. Big mistake! I have tried every engine tuning proceedure in the book. I normally run several of my other engines like the .61 OS FX engine inverted (ringed engine) with no problems at all. I need help and I need it fast. I almost gave up on the motor at 7 or 8 test flights.

The engine runs like the other threads say that it runs (sloopy inverted). I have read as many ".61 Evolution" motor threads here, but most people just state the problem (which is the same one that I have of inconsistent runs, bogging down after idling, quiting in flight after an aborted landing or any change in throttle setting. I am looking for a solution. Maybe Mike McConneville is out here on RCUniverse and has a suggestion or someone from HORIZON HOBBY TECHNICAL SUPPORT.

I had considered installing the engine upright or side ways in the P-51 .60 size hangar 9 arf, but it will take away from the beautiful scale looks.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Hangar 9 P-51 .60 size with Evolution .61 NT (inverted or upright) I NEED HELP WITH THIS MOTOR!!!!

Could it be the change in relationship of your fuel tank when the engine is run inverted compared to upright? I don't suppose there is any way to lower the fuel tank when you invert the engine so the tank maintains the same relationship with the carb as when the engine is upright.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
opjose

Default RE: Hangar 9 P-51 .60 size with Evolution .61 NT (inverted or upright) I NEED HELP WITH THIS MOTOR!!!!

You should not have problems running the engine inverted in this plane.

The fuel tank to carb relationship, even with the fuel tank upright is such that there should be no problem.

Describe the nature of the problem.

I've found that most of the inverted mount issues revolve around incomplete break in, or improper tuning.

What does the engine do?

With 1/3 of a tank of fuel does it idle reliably and stay at approximately the SAME RPM's?

If not the engine is probably too rich on the low end.

Same test and adjustment on the high end.

Then check the transitions going from low to high.

BTW: on the NX's I've found that you have to lean out the low end slightly past the point the low speed needle limiter permits you to move it! In other words to properly tune it, you have to defeat the limiter.

My 1.00 and .46 both needed to be EXACTLY on the lean point which would correspond to the little steel low end limiter arm.... as the engine comes I couldn't adjust it this way.