Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

" As you may know, true scale models of the Clipwing Monocoupe have a reputation of being twitchy and hard to fly. "

Is this model hard to fly, and how much aileron throw are you using ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed

" As you may know, true scale models of the Clipwing Monocoupe have a reputation of being twitchy and hard to fly. "

Is this model hard to fly, and how much aileron throw are you using ?
    Nope. Amazingly easy to fly. My aileron throws are set per the manual and they're just right.
    ...and then the unthinkable happened!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

luscombe8E
    Thanks, I will look forward to the pics! Since I got mine, the honey do list got very long. Is it because spring is here, or am I paying for the plane all over again :-) I am not in a hurry, want to get it right so it will become my favorite plane too.
    Thanks again,
    Rcar4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think its extremely easy to fly. It is completely stable at all speeds too. I have a feeling that no matter what i will always own one of these. ha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you use flapperons for landing, or is it needed?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Started ironing mine out, pretty wrinkled. The ends of the black pin stripe like to curl up, do they needed glued in some way? I was a little disappointed to see the top fuselage windows are nothing but covering. Maybe a little nit picky of me, all in all I love what I see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you use flapperons for landing, or is it needed?
    They are not "needed" for landing, but they work so well that I always used them. If they are set up according to the manual, they slow the airplane down a little, but the main thing is that they seem to lock it into the perfect 3 point attitude on approach. The pilot just needs to use the throttle to control the glide slope. They also eliminate some of the wing rocking that can happen at really slow speeds or in rough air.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made a plexiglass window for the top of my monocoupe.. It looks pretty cool i think. I didnt program mine for flapperons. Mine will just hang there on landing so i never even thought about using them. I personally dont think flapperons are needed. My coupe lands so slow if ya work it. I always slip mine on landing so if you dont like doing that then flapperons might be for you. It sure does look cool in the air. i think its worth every penny you sink in it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never felt like I needed flaperons. I do have them programmed in and will use them once in a while but it lands just as well without them. I prefer to land on the mains and let it roll out until the tail drops versus trying to three-point it. The plane will do either one very well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: luscombe8E

I made a plexiglass window for the top of my monocoupe.. It looks pretty cool i think. I didnt program mine for flapperons. Mine will just hang there on landing so i never even thought about using them. I personally dont think flapperons are needed. My coupe lands so slow if ya work it. I always slip mine on landing so if you dont like doing that then flapperons might be for you. It sure does look cool in the air. i think its worth every penny you sink in it!
    Can you share some pics of your plexi window.
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GaGeeBees
    Thanks, I will program it in, but I think I will not be using it much either.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was getting ready to trace around the rudder and trim the covering to 1/16 of the line and look what I found
    [img]001.jpg[/img] OK, I don't know if the image will show. There is not enough covering on the horizontal stab and there is balsa showing all the way around the vertical stab. I am a little disappointed as I have already epoxied the horizontal stab in place. Emailed pacific areomodle and have not heard back. Oh, and no the horizontal stab is not upside down, actually I did trace around the underside and trim the covering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73780.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	1181766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32752.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	1181767  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcar4,

Had the same issue with mine needing covering to patch the area in front of the rudder. The guy at PAC acted as though it was the first he had heard of it. Reluctantly, he sent me some scrap covering to patch the area. Took about a month. I am not impressed with this level of customer service, particularly on a premium-priced ARF. The plane also had damage to the bottom of the fuselage that I discovered when I took it out of the box. I requested a replacement but was refused.

Nice plane, but I cannot reccomend dealing with them.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lifer,
    Thanks for the info, I will let you know how it works out for me. I am not going to stop the build to wait on covering. I will take the rudder to the LHS and see if they can help me match the color with something off the shelf.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lifer

rcar4,

Had the same issue with mine needing covering to patch the area in front of the rudder. The guy at PAC acted as though it was the first he had heard of it. Reluctantly, he sent me some scrap covering to patch the area. Took about a month. I am not impressed with this level of customer service, particularly on a premium-priced ARF. The plane also had damage to the bottom of the fuselage that I discovered when I took it out of the box. I requested a replacement but was refused.

Nice plane, but I cannot reccomend dealing with them.
    Wow! That's not been my experience with Pacific Aeromodel at all. They've been very responsive and quick to help anytime I've needed anything. I've got their 82" Gee Bee Y and the Monocoupe and would highly recommend them. My dealings with them have been outstanding in every way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GaGa,

I'm glad you had a good experience. In fact, that was what I was anticipating. The facts revealed themselves. I like the look of the planes the company offers, but I felt compelled to relay the story.

That's what I really like about RC Universe, it's buyer driven. Everybody can have a bad day, but what I experienced was over a month long so I came away with a lesser opinion of the company. I still like the plane!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

According to the Monocoupe instruction manual, page 16 "The stab has a long bare strip on the bottom and a short bare strip on the top."

Was yours different? It not, it sure sounds like you put it on upside down.

Of course that doesn't excuse the delay in getting it taken care of. But if you spoke to the Chinese fellow, I can imagine he would have some difficulty figuring out what your problem was.

The believe the covering is Sig Aerokote.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jrf,
    The bottom of the horizontal stab Is unmistakable, large area of uncovered area to sit on the saddle in the shape of a triangle. The top is a narrow strip to accommodate the rudder. Still no contact from Pacific Areomodel, left voice mail early yesterday A.M. and email. If I could get a part number for the covering I would just go buy a roll!
    Thanks for all your guys input!
    Have a GREAT weekend,
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcar4

Jrf,
    The bottom of the horizontal stab Is unmistakable, large area of uncovered area to sit on the saddle in the shape of a triangle. The top is a narrow strip to accommodate the rudder. Still no contact from Pacific Areomodel, left voice mail early yesterday A.M. and email. If I could get a part number for the covering I would just go buy a roll!
    Thanks for all your guys input!
    Have a GREAT weekend,
    Ron
    That points out one of the things I like about Aeroworks kits..........they include a nice piece of each color of covering used. There's got to be loads of scraps they could include. These aren't cheap kits, they should be more responsive. I was going to get one of these when I get my Carden done, but am having second thoughts. Please keep us posted on how things go for you.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still think the quality is very good, just a small issue. This is why customer service is so important, bad reputation can cost you customers. Everyone that has one seems to love them, I am sure I will be one too. A guy at our club told me to contact a fellow named Jim at pacific, he is going to get me his personal phone number. He said he had trouble getting a hold of the Asian fellow and now he deals strictly with Jim, that solved his issues. I am going to give him a call when I get his number, will let you know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry been busy and not able to give you an update. Finally got a few emails from pacific areomodel, they said they were out of the office last week and apologized. The next email I received was to tell me I installed the horizontal stab upside down. I emailed them back with my explanation in post 291, and the followed up with a picture.[img][/img]

The photo seemed to do the trick and I received this reply:
    Ron,
    You are right, we would send you some covering, but we do not have in stock. We will get some more, but it will take some time (about 3 days).
    I will send this picture to the Mfg in China.
    Thank you
    Pacific Aeromodel
    Johnson

I got Jim's number from my friend but have not needed to call him as things seem to be getting corrected. I would never post anyone's phone number here but if someone is having trouble and needs it you can pm me.

Name:	Pn35925.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	1186808  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quick update, received my covering today. Very fast responds once the problem was reported, thanks P.A.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is anyone out there using a multi cylinder engine on the Pac Aero Clip Wing Monocoupe. I'm thinking maybe the OS 300 twin. I know the gas engine would be cheaper but I'm thinking sound.

Richard
    Richard
    Monocoupe Brotherhood #36

Full scale aerobatics is like having sex and being in a car wreck at the same time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RHarding

Is anyone out there using a multi cylinder engine on the Pac Aero Clip Wing Monocoupe. I'm thinking maybe the OS 300 twin. I know the gas engine would be cheaper but I'm thinking sound.

Richard
    Saito 1.70 radial. http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Monocoupe-Radial-wmv

OS 3.00 would be a gracious plenty. The 1.60 Gemini would pull it around quite well. But, you can always throttle back

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: RHarding

Richard
    Saito 1.70 radial. http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Monocoupe-Radial-wmv

OS 3.00 would be a gracious plenty. The 1.60 Gemini would pull it around quite well. But, you can always throttle back
    Your 1.70 is running well,what fuel/prop are you using?I haven't maidened mine yet,got too busy last summer.
    Steve

Name:	Tr49590.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	1191110  
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast