Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

ORIGINAL: SteveD-RCU

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: RHarding

Is anyone out there using a multi cylinder engine on the Pac Aero Clip Wing Monocoupe. I'm thinking maybe the OS 300 twin. I know the gas engine would be cheaper but I'm thinking sound.

Richard
    Saito 1.70 radial. http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Monocoupe-Radial-wmv

OS 3.00 would be a gracious plenty. The 1.60 Gemini would pull it around quite well. But, you can always throttle back
    Your 1.70 is running well,what fuel/prop are you using?I haven't maidened mine yet,got too busy last summer.
    Steve
    Hey Steve,

Fuel is Omega 15% with a couple extra ounces of castor added. Prop is a Pro Zinger 16x8. Best of luck with your maiden. You'll really like how well it flies.
    ...and then the unthinkable happened!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: 1.70 radial. Are you having any problems keeping the lower left cyl. firing?

Richard
    Richard
    Monocoupe Brotherhood #36

Full scale aerobatics is like having sex and being in a car wreck at the same time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RHarding

Re: 1.70 radial. Are you having any problems keeping the lower left cyl. firing?

Richard
    No. Using McDaniel/SonicTronics onboard glow driver set to come on at about 1/4 throttle. It's also critical to get the low speed needle dialed in once break-in is completed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Guys, I need some help. This is very difficult to take-off and land. Fly's great once in the air but, very squirrly and erratic on take off, landing roll out see's this zig-zagging all over the runway and usually a nose-over when it's just about stopped and veer's sharply. What is the problem ?. Has the stock tailwheel set-up, plenty of space between the tires and inside edge of pants. Simply wont hold straight on take-off roll. Would a Piezo gyro on the rudder servo correct this ?. Beautiful plane but unless this can be corrected, It'll be going " By-By " to the junk shelf. I have only about 75 percent throw on the rudder but I wonder if a different tail-wheel unit would help. Springs are also quite tense and responed well with rudder input . I've had this a year but only six flights with it because it is'nt any fun. P.S. , it;s clean with no damage.............yet. Please help. MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like you've got a wheel that won't turn freely. I've found that I prefer to have my rudder on low rates for the takeoff run. It's very easy to overcontrol if I don't. Ido not have any problem on landing and enjoy doing touch-n-go's down the length of the runway. It tracks straight and true. My setup is totally box stock except for the main wheels. I replaced the foamies with some low bounce rubber wheels.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, the mains are low-bounce foamies and they both turn freely, no binding on them and they wont rub against the inside of the pants, plenty of clearence. I'm not a beginner with this stuff, but, I'm stumped at this point. I'm still leaning towards a differrent tail wheel set-up or a GWS type gyro [ if I can find a dealer with one in stock ] Thanks for the reply, MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let us know how it works with the gyro. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MM-I started to have that weaving problem after over 200 flights and found out that I smacked it down too hard! Discovered that I got too much toe-in with the "smack-down"bent the axles back to a minimal toe-in and problem was solved. Worth a look!!
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club #1 Co-founder
    Clipped wing \"Coupe\" Brotherhood #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you checked the wheel alignment. The wheels should be toed-out 0-1 degree. Never toed-in. They come set at zero, but a rough landing can bend them.

What do you mean when you say 75% on the rudder throw? Can you measure the throw in inches? The manual calls for 1 inch each way on low rates, measured at the widest part of the rudder. If you have more than that,you are almost guaranteed to get into a PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation) situation.

Pick a day when the wind is straight down the runway and try landing without touching the rudder. If that works,your problem is over-controlling the rudder.

On takeoff, you must accelerate slowly. That will minimize torque and P-factor effects and you should only require a small and constantamount of right rudder to keep it straight. Advancing the throttle all at once will definitely start the zig-zags.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there have been discussions of toe-in toe-out before.  Toe in for the wheels will minimize the tendency to turn.  As the plane turns the inside wheel tends to roll straight ahead and has reduced resistance to rolling thereby staraightening the roll.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Possibility it could be too sensitive on the rudder. The rudder has about three inches of throw. About 75% for both high and low rates. Using any rudder in flight will snap this one over on its' back into a tail spin. Less than that throw amount and the plane needs the whole width of the runway to turn around.It needs a lot of rudder throw to turn the tailwheel enough to steer it. Maybe stronger coiled springs in place of the originals ?. All my landings are very soft with this plane, it's the roll out that are uncontrollable. There appears to be no toe-in or out. on the mains. It handles a lot like a Piper Cub. Gyros are difficult to obtain. Majority are for Helo's. Can you guys offer a source to find one somewheres that's in stock ?. By-the-way, This plane flys beautiful with a Saito 1.50 and as I said earlier, it's excellent in the air. Thanks fellas, MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sedrick:

Your analysis is correct for the front wheels of cars andthe mainwheels of tricycle airplanes.

But that self steering tendency is not desirable for tail-draggers, particularly high-wing tail-draggers. When anairplane turns on the ground,the long wings and the high center of gravity makethe wingslean to the outside of the turn, loading the outside mainwheel, which becomes the "steering " wheel. If that wheelis toed in, it will make the turn sharper,lean the wing more, load thewheel more and make the turn even sharper, which willlean the wing more, load the wheel more and .... you getthe idea.The result is an unstable condition which frequently results in a ground loop.

0-1 degree of toe-out isjust enough to make sure that there is never an attitude or gear flexcondition which would result in toe-in.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike:

I copied this from the Assembly Manual, which is on the Pacific Aeromodel website. I guess they should have said that too much rudder will make the airplane uncontrollable on the ground also.

I had the same problem turning the airplane around on the runway with low rate rudder. My solution is to use the recommended high rate for slow speed taxiing and the recommended low rate for everything else.

For the tailwheel, you need to preload the springs when you install them. Bend the ends so that the spring is about ahalf inch or soshorter than the distance between the steering arms so that you have to stretch it to install it.Alonger steering arm on the bottom of the rudder will also help.

A gyro won't hurt, but basically you just need to cut down on your rudder throw.

Jim

SETTING UP THE CONTROLS

Ailerons 7/8” 1 1/8” up
    1/2” 5/8” down

Elevators 1 1/8" 1 3/8"each way

Rudder 1”1 1/2” each way

Do not omit the aileron differential. The Monocoupe will not fly well without it.

We recommend Exponential on the elevators: 25% at low rate and 40% at high rate. We do not use Expo on any of the other controls. CAUTION: The rudder is extremely effective. Do not use more than the recommended travel on the rudder. High rudder deflections can make the airplane uncontrollable in the air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim, Thank you !!. OK, I'll try that on the recommended throw. I'm still going to pursue a gyro though. It'll be a couple weeks, I'm off to California. Thanks guys. MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I setup Flight modes in my 9303 and in the one I use for taxiing and starting, I set the rudder to travel as far as it will go without hitting the elevators.  No problem with taxiing on the ground after doing this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcar4,

Had the same issue with mine needing covering to patch the area in front of the rudder. The guy at PAC acted as though it was the first he had heard of it. Reluctantly, he sent me some scrap covering to patch the area. Took about a month. I am not impressed with this level of customer service, particularly on a premium-priced ARF. The plane also had damage to the bottom of the fuselage that I discovered when I took it out of the box. I requested a replacement but was refused.

Nice plane, but I cannot reccomend dealing with them.

Guys,

The covering is Ultrcote on the plane and is easliy matched at your LHS as I did. No need to wait weeks for them to send you a piece of covering!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gotta say that their lack of customer service to correct their problems (poor covering, poor shipping packaging) keeps me from buying...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RAMFlyer

Gotta say that their lack of customer service to correct their problems (poor covering, poor shipping packaging) keeps me from buying...
    That hasn't been my experience with either of the two Pacific Aeromodels ARFs I've purchased. Both have been excellent and their service has also been terrific. I have their Gee Bee Y and the Monocoupe and they're two of the best flyers in my hangar and that's more than a few planes. You're passing on some outstanding planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

" I have their Gee Bee Y and the Monocoupe and they're two of the best flyers in my hangar "

What kind of covering are they using on their Gee Bee Y  ?   And is it the same as their Monocoupe  ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed

" I have their Gee Bee Y and the Monocoupe and they're two of the best flyers in my hangar "

What kind of covering are they using on their Gee Bee Y ? And is it the same as their Monocoupe ?

You know, I don't have any idea. I've never had to do a repair on the covering. I suspect it's Ultracote on this one as well but can't say with certainty.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Well Guys, I need some help. This is very difficult to take-off and land. Fly's great once in the air but, very squirrly and erratic on take off, landing roll out see's this zig-zagging all over the runway and usually a nose-over when it's just about stopped and veer's sharply. What is the problem ?. Has the stock tailwheel set-up, plenty of space between the tires and inside edge of pants. Simply wont hold straight on take-off roll. Would a Piezo gyro on the rudder servo correct this ?. Beautiful plane but unless this can be corrected, It'll be going " By-By " to the junk shelf. I have only about 75 percent throw on the rudder but I wonder if a different tail-wheel unit would help. Springs are also quite tense and responed well with rudder input . I've had this a year but only six flights with it because it is'nt any fun. P.S. , it;s clean with no damage.............yet. Please help. MM
    I have tried rudder throws from 1/2'" to 2" , and this is still one bear of an aircraft on the ground !
    My touch & go's, and landings are fine, but take-off's are wild and crazy !

Let me know if you come up with a good gyro / servo combination ?
    Or better yet ................ a simple fix to straighten out the take-off's.

Thanx.

Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

I have tried rudder throws from 1/2'" to 2" , and this is still one bear of an aircraft on the ground !
    My touch & go's, and landings are fine, but take-off's are wild and crazy !

Let me know if you come up with a good gyro / servo combination ?
    Or better yet ................ a simple fix to straighten out the take-off's.

Thanx.

Ed

Just curious. Are you running any expo in the xmtr programming?

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are folks who have used gyros with much success on this plane. Haven't heard of many commenting on its ground handling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the recommended low rates when taking off and have had no problems with it being squirrely during take off.  Perhaps people are jamming the throttle to full blast to quickly.  The plane does require some speed for the rudder to become effective but once the tail lifts it only requires a gentle touch on the rudder.  While Pacific doesn't recommend expo on the rudder, it doesn't mean that you can't use it.  As the rudder is very effective once speed is reached, expo might help to not overcontrol with the rudder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Ed, Here's where I'm at right now. I did away with the springs and installed pushrod instead. The Rudder swings only an inch left or right as per instructions. Also, I will still install a Futaba 190 gyro. I have done the pushrod install on two other squirrly planes as well with much better results. Seagull's Spacewalker 2 is an example. and handles much better but a gyro will still be installed. Took a while to find the right gyro but it should do the job. $50 bucks is'nt bad for the cost too. It'll be a week or so till it arrives. "till then. MM

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast