Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Throttle and choke hookup. The choke goes back to a bellcrank on the firewall and then a carbon fiber rod goes down in the the area where the cutout is at the bottom of the firewall (where I assume a glow muffler would normally stick out).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52667.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	1308959  
Old 11-06-2009, 02:02 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like both of those pictures. My carb is slightly different - but should be able to make your choke idea work. How did you support the bellcrank pivot?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know the diameter of the inside of the cowling? I have a radial that needs 8 1/4" to clear.
Chris...
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

I actually used a standard control horn. Actually it was one left over from an Ultrastick 40 build as it was much stiffer than most of the nylon ones available. Hopefully the attached pictures give you the general idea. The only thing not in the pictures is the carbon rod that I reach up and grab but you can see the ball that the link attaches to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18611.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1309049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77580.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1309050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50190.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1309051   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55345.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1309052  
Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
OldFart1

Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Anyone know the diameter of the inside of the cowling? I have a radial that needs 8 1/4'' to clear.
Chris...
I've got a Saito 1.70 in mine and the fit is not too tight. Diameter of the Saito is 8". Your 8 1/4" should slip in with no problems.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
OldFart1

Made a bit of progress yesterday - remembered to bring a second cigar

Fuel tank, lines, fuel dot, elevator servos and most of the langing gear (I know - it has to came back off, I forgot the fairings)

Probably can't see it - but I did GBR2's choke linkage (thanks - it works slick)
Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
OldFart1

Did notice one thing when I put in the elevator servos (HS-645MG's) - 18" servo extensions only get you to the back of the plywood tray. I think I'll R&R them with some 24" ones.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
GaGeeBees

I used 18" ones and the reversing Y harness took me the rest of the way to the Rx.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM
OldFart1

I won't have a Y harness (slaving the channels together in the 9303). Airwild needs my money anyway
Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Moved to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...anchor/tm.htm#
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

I won't have a Y harness (slaving the channels together in the 9303). Airwild needs my money anyway
Old Fart,

What size wheels did this come with? The ones that come with it are foam, right?

Jimbo

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Lotsofcrashes

Hey TexasSkypilot,  I was surprised to see you on this thread as I have been picking up your feedback on the H9 Taylorcraft. So tell me, do you like this plane more ?? Is it easier to build and fly ??
Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi lotsofcrashes,

They're both awesome planes, and I've always been interested in the T-Craft as I occasionally fly in a full-scale T-Craft with a friend.  To me, the Clipped-Wing Monocoupe wins out,although I have to admit I went back and forth about a hundred times before deciding.  although I fly in a full-scale T-Craft, I'm a sucker for Golden Agers, and I'm a sucker for wheelpants and round engines.  I mean, BAD......

I already have a Waco UMF-5.

As far as which of these two models builds up better, I haven't got my Monocoupe yet, it just shipped out to me yesterday  (Yay!), and as you know, the T-Craft has been on backorder for some time and only seems to be released in small amounts.  

So I'm going to go with what I know here.  I've read through the threads for both of these and the Clipped Wing Monocoupe hs been getting GREAT reviews for the building, the manual (I downloaded it and printed it out so I could sleep with it at night, it really is a great manual), and the flight characteristics.  Even with gassers much bigger than 30CC they are not having any real trouble with all the extra weight.  30CC and down they say it's perfect.  I've been watching the videos, they're really stable on landings and approaches and they can really cut loose up there for aerobatics.  Don't ask me about hovering, don't know about that and don't care.  I'm into the older aerobatic birds, I always have been.  The Monocoupe in its day won all the aerobatic shows.  The landing gear on this has a few reports of "spreading", but I rarely have problems with that as I can grease almost anything almost all the time.  But as it's a reported (small) issue I thought I'd mention it.

As for the T-Craft, the thread is full of people having this break off or that not holding together.  It's a Hangar 9 product, and Hangar 9 products just seem to have a number of things wrong with each model, as though they know there's a handful of things but they don't want to take the time to iron them out.  There's always a few weak items.  Most of them don't bother me, but wing struts failing and flying braces breaking, those are disconcerting to me.  It's a bit like having everything working good on your parachute but that little rip cord sometimes doesn't stay attached when you yank it

So, those are my observations and speculations.  I'll be getting my Monocoupe within the next week, and I have promised to document my build on it.  Just so you know up front, I'll be tossing the foam tires in the rubbish, making my own flying wires with something like a Sullivan kit, and changing the rear gear to a Sullivan standard one-piece steerable gear set, which looks much more scale than what comes with it and will work a hundred percent better!  I'll be powering it it with a Syssa 30CC which is exactly mid-range by CC size, but by weight it's small and by power it's bigger than that, according to what I can glean from all I have been reading.  Reality is another thing altogether at times!  I will try to use some of the hardware if it's up to snuff, but my rod ends are almost always changed to the Sullivan black-plastic clevises with locks, and they are attached by using solder-on threaded rod ends.  My planes don't crash from failures, so those are what I like to use.  Being a good solderer is the biggie for this.

Well, I don't know if this helped, but I'm out of breath and I'm supposed to leave for work in 10 minutes and I still haven't showered!

Jimbo
Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM
OldFart1

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

Old Fart,

What size wheels did this come with? The ones that come with it are foam, right?

Jimbo

Jimbo, I'll have to measure the diameter. They're foam though.

Woohoo - USPS finally managed to get my "carb insulator" to me - back to assembly tomorrow night. Off to watch the Kings play Philadelphia Flyers tonight.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
mobyal

Jimbo
Let me get over to the shop tomorrow and I'll tell you the size Sullivans I put on mine. I use the "Featherweights", I think they're called. Two-piece aluminum centers w/ a rubber tire. A bit expensive but a great tire.
Al
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Lotsofcrashes

TexasSkypilot, you made me smile reading your feedback. Your obviously excited about the new plane and know what your talking about. I just posted a note on the tcraft thread saying similar things about H9 planes. If you claim to be first class, then go all the way. The guys are doing lots of repairs and they seem to be on top of things but the plane should not have obvious issues like those in the first place. 
Can you tell me which suppliers carry the Monocoupe, its not on the Horizon or Tower hobbies sites. There is no info in Australia about the plane either.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Ken Cz

Hi Guys,
I have flown my Monocoupe with a SV-26 rear carb (from Troy Bulit Models) 6 times now and it is a real pleasure!
The SV-26 provides plenty of power and it flys great on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
Take offs are easy - just make sure you have the rear wheel aligned with the rudder and some expo dialed in - I had a bit of trouble on the first few take-offs until I replaced the tail wheel springs with something a bit stronger.
Now -easy as pie - straight and true. Power up graually, the tail come up and away you go - in quick order!

Landings are simple too - chop the power - she comes down fairly quick due to the large cowl frontal area and the APC 18x6 Wide prop I am using -and then go up on the throttle 2-3 clicks for a smooth landing with no bad habits. Flairs nicely with a little power on.
I was paranoid about landing a clipped wing plane but this one is a *****cat. The designers at PA did thier homework.

Ken
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Moved to:

Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the model flies with the tail down, why does it have to be tail heavy ? Why can't it be a decalage, or incidence problem ?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom,

It could be either or both. In this case, it's more than likely tail heavy. We had the same problem with the Waco's until we actually got to checking the Center of Balance by using the Mean Aerodynamic Chord measurement and found that we were all flying with the C/B too far rearward.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Bill.

Looking at the above posted pic, it looks to me that the stab has negative incedence. That's why I asked.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 AM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

By the way, I don't remember where many of my photos come from, but I think that with the pond in the background that this is probably GaGeeBees plane photo, I don't remember exactly what I saw in the video background but it looks right to me. Whoever took it, what a great shot....

Yessir, that's mine. Glad you like it It's really a terrific airplane and I think you're going to be very pleased with it. I find myself flying this one more than anything else in my "hangar". Looking forward to your thoughts once yours arrives.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Moved to New building thread:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.