Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

ORIGINAL: Tisoy909

Hey guys, can i ask if any of you have the approximate diameter of the Pac Aero Monocoupe's cowl?
    Thank you!
    Louie
    Approximately 8.5 inches. I'd have to take my cowl off to get you a more exact measurement and I just don't feel like doing it
    ...and then the unthinkable happened!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Take a second look at the Monocoupe airfoil. I'm no aeronautical engineer but it doesn't look flat bottomed to me.
    Me neither! Lol.

I was sure it was for some reason.

I guess itΒ΄s semi symmetrical. The same applies, though in a slightly less degree.

Lars.
    Lars.

PS. IΒ΄m from Norway and donΒ΄t always really know how my words come out. But I never try to offend anyone on purpose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you're right. Semi-symmetrical describes it better and yes, your reasoning still applies. Cheers!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I followed the instructions and hinged the rudder to the fin already, minus the bottom hinge. Now I'd like to glue the fin/rudder on but find that there is no way to slip the bottom hinge into the rudder and then get the part of the fin that goes into the slot on the stab without cutting away the rear portion of that tab. I haven't glued in the bottom hinge yet as I want to dry fit everything first. Now I find out that without cutting away the tab, it seems impossible to do (short of not having hinged the rudder to the fin earlier as the instructions have you do). If anyone has some super duper answer to this dilemma, I'd like to hear it.

Has any one used an SPE26 in this plane and did you still put the elevator servos in the rear?

Thought about it:

Thinking about it some, I think what I'm going to do about the lower rudder hinge is to replace it with a CA hinge. I should be able to make a slot which would allow the fin tab to key into the slot without having to cut it and still get a hinge at the bottom of the rudder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GBR2,

I cut a diagonal piece off the back of the fin tab. Not a big deal.... with the bracing wires on there, the fin is not going to come loose ever. Same as you, though, I found this problem too late, and wondered why on earth I didn't just hinge the whole rudder on there after the fin was installed, like I usually do!

BTW, I'll be flying my M'coupe out at Big Birds in Monroe in another week or so. You? Oh, and I've got the SPE26 in mine, too! Elevator servos are up front, where they belong.

Don.
    Glider junkies creed: No glider, no lift, no reason to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: mobyal

By the way, the EZ Balancer's expensive, but a first-class piece of work, and sure does make things easier w/ the big ones!
    Al
    I've been wanting one of those for a while now. Will have to make the investment. My planes keep getting bigger and bigger and the ol' Great Planes CG machine isn't up to the task anymore. I had to hang both my flight pack (5-cell sub C and onboard glow pack 4-cell sub C back where you're indicating in order to get mine to balance.
    Mine also balanced perfectly aftar I moved the batteries back there.
    Reported earlier on problem I was having w/ the Sullivan Glo driver. Called them and sent it back. They emailed me and said it was a bad on/off switch, sent me a new one. Great service, but that one doesn't work either. I must have a bad connection somewhere, so going to pull everything out and bench-test it.
    THEN maybe if the weather'll cooperate I can get some flying in.
    Al
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Al,

Hope you get the gremlins chased out of the onboard ignition setup. I flew mine again a couple of weeks ago and am getting closer to having the throws set up the way I want them. It's taken some experimentation. Set up per the manual did not work for me at all and I had to mix in some rudder to eliminate a pretty bad "skid" in the turns. Hope you get some flying weather soon. I'll be interested in reading your flight report. Keep us posted on your progress. Happy landings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anyone tell me how long the root rib is from leading to trailing edge and where there CG is. Would really appreciate the help.

Thank you
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as per the instructions/plan the CG is 4 1/4" 4 1/2" from the leading edge of the wing at the fuse. Mine balanced right on the alum. spar/joiner and flys fine. Have logged 106 exciting flights so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91290.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	935086  
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club #1 Co-founder
    Clipped wing \"Coupe\" Brotherhood #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Monocoupe had its maiden flight today! Other than the brand-new SPE26 running a bit rough (gotta find out where those air bubbles are sneaking in to the fuel lines!), it flew wonderfully. NOT a beginner's airplane, that's for sure, but lots of fun for those who have some tailwheel time and can fly a quick stick. This thing ROCKS!

As soon as I get the engine running smoothly and reliably, I will take it through its paces rolls, loops, avalanches, outside maneuvers, etc. but until then, I sure do like its responsiveness, and the smooth landings. I can tell I've got a winner here.

Name:	Vt58093.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	951509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16222.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	951510  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I discovered my fuel draw problem. The tygon fuel line managed to touch against the muffler, and when the muffler got hot, it melted a hole right through the fuel line. That explains my deadstick landing on the last flight of the day! I will re-plumb the lines, and this time I'll be sure they don't get anywhere near the muffler. Live and learn.

Name:	Ur52126.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	952408  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, this looks like a much better home for my G26 than the World Models P-47 I'm building now. I guess I'll have to find another gasser for the -47, maybe the SPE 26
    Jeff/LAX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys need to remember, that Saito 1.80 is a real "gas-hog". Are you sure a Saito 1.50 wont do the job just as good ? I know this thread has been inactive for a little while but I just found out about this plane a couple days ago [ believe it or not ] MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's why I'm going with a gasser - they sip!
    Jeff/LAX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

You guys need to remember, that Saito 1.80 is a real "gas-hog". Are you sure a Saito 1.50 wont do the job just as good ? I know this thread has been inactive for a little while but I just found out about this plane a couple days ago [ believe it or not ] MM
    A 1.50 would fly it but I'd go with the 1.80. I fly mine with a Saito 1.70 radial and it's a good match, not overpowered at all. If I were starting over, I'd probably think long and hard about going with the Saito FG-36.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I understand. This plane is similar to the SIG WACO SRE. Pretty much the same demensions but the weight is off a couple pounds. My point is, I too have had a number of "Gassers" but the vibration is terrible. It just about shook apart my PAC Gee Bee Y so I went with the Saito 1.80. That solved the vibration but it sure is a guzzler. No problem, I'll accept that trade-off. I know, it's a matter of personal prefrence on engines for this. What a beautiful plane/ARF. Now it's just a matter of trying to get hold of somebody at PAC to buy one. Seeya around, MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might want to consider an OS160. That's what I have in mine and it's a really good match.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone put an OS FT-160 twin in this plane? I have one lying around (I bought it for my TF Stinson Reliant....it'll be a while before it's built!) and I love this plane. I think this would have enough power, but I wonder if it fits in the cowl without lots of cutting.

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup, that too has caught my attention. And I just might do that. Ya know, this "Golden Age " bug has really bit me. I just took six fully operational ARF's from my hangar and put them in the surplus room to decomission and strip for parts. And there not little "Kiddy" arf's either. That still leaves me 25 fully operational planes to fly. Scott C. at SIG and his pals are kicking around the idea of making a Waco YMF, nothing solid but the idea is in there heads. I'm "sweating -out " waiting Sunday to end so I can call Monday and get my plane ordered. [:@] Gads, you'd think I was acting like a little kid again. MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure. The cowl would probably take it OK, but the airplane's not set up for it as it comes to you. It's designed for an inverted single-cylinder engine so far as the mounts and airflow is set up. Take a look at some of the installs on the thread here.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sseward: The cowl is about 8" wide but it curves in at the front a little. There is a cooling air exit all the way around the cowl at the rear and if you trim the dummy engine as a baffle (as the manual says) to direct the incoming air to the cylinders of the twin, it should cool OK.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of you may have seen this already but for those that haven't, here's the link to a short video of the Saito 1.70 radial running. It's a great fit and very clean install and flies the plane really well. It's also very low in vibration. I get a little transitioning out of idle as I give it throttle but it's not much. Can't beat the sound of a round engine.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Monocoupe-Radial-wmv

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the replys! I went and measured the FT-160 and it looks like it's about 7.5 inches wide. I'm not worried about the firewall mounting of the exhaust because I already have the Keleo FT-160 pipes that I had bought for the Stinson Reliant. I'm worried that with .5inch to spare, that the cylinder heads might be close near the taper at the front of the cowl since the FT-160 has a very short shaft. That's why I was wondering if anyone had tried it....I hate being the guinea pig!

Of course, if I buy the plane and the FT-160 doesn't work out, then I could by the Saito 170 radial! After watching GaGeeBees' video...that thing sounds great!

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just back from another day of flying the Monocoupe. The more I fly it, the more I like . The little radial runs great and just starting it up draws a crowd. I'm still tweaking the control throws but am getting close to where I want it. I've added some expo to the ailerons and ended up mixing in a bit of rudder as the tail has a tendency to drop in the turns if I'm less than wide open throttle. A little rudder mixed in really helped eliminate the adverse yaw. I continue to be amazed at how slow this airplane will land. Whatever Pac Aero did to make it fly better they really nailed it. I have mine set up with flaperons and droop the ailerons about 30 degrees for landing. It slows down very nicely. Wonderful airplane!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sseward, the cowl is 9" in diameter as per the article in Model Aviation 2008.
    hope this helps

Rcten
    Citabria/Decathlon Brotherhood #17

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast