Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

COX Pica WACO 1/6 scale

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

COX Pica WACO 1/6 scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
sevans16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COX Pica WACO 1/6 scale

Where does one find one of these ARF's?? I looked at the Cox websie and there are no products on it?? I don't see anyone selling them on the net??
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
skylarkmk1

sevans,

Unfortunately COX has dropped them from their line after being taken over by Estes and they are no longer available. The COX ARF is based on the PICA plans and the AMA ( http://www.modelaircraft.org/ ) sells the PICA plans with templates (ask for them) for the 1/5th (72" ) size version. If you want the 1/6th (60" ) version, you can reduce the 1/5th plans to 83.5%. It may be possible to find a COX ARF on "that auction site" at a much inflated price, but you can build the Waco from plans a lot cheaper and have a better scale plane overall.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

dang[:@]
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
fordboy76

I have one of these and am trying to decide its fate... I bought it at an auction last year and had not noticed the hor stab was not as solid on one side as it was the other. I found that there was a break on the TE of the stab under the fuse.. simple fix really, but as I am getting ready for my next build, I am wondering if I should fly it or sell it. If I fly it, I still need the CG and a good place to start for the throws. Anyone out there know this info? I did not get the manual with the purchase[]
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
bigflyguy
My Feedback: (4)

I scanned and posted the CG and throw info previously. See this thread:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7420723/anchors_7425642/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7425642[/link]
Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM
fordboy76

[sm=biggrin.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I had forgotten all about that thread... do I feel like an idiot. Sorry and thank you soo much!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
bigflyguy
My Feedback: (4)

After purchasing my Cox 1/6 Waco two years ago I am finally assembling it. Should be done in a week or two, time permitting. It is a very nice model although I have observed a couple of minor issues. All of the wheel collars have the wrong size set screws, I ended up just replacing them all. I also noticed that the hardwood reinforced attached points for the lower wing's ailerons are not in the right position according to where they are as stated in the manual - they should be inline with the wing struts. If you have any questions feel free to ask while it's fresh in my mind... My suggestion - go for it, it's a nice model!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM
DanielCardona

Default Need advice

hello to all, i know its an old thread but i try my luck anyway. I’m planning to build a Dave platt 1/6 waco which basically its the same as the Pica 1/6 waco.

I’m thinking to put a four stroke but i’m undecided between a 70,80 or a 90, which one should be appropriate? I’m worried that a 70 might be too small since the model is actually designed for a 60 two stroke.

I also noticed that some people also used normal plastic engine bearers instead of the hardwood ones , what modifications are needed to go for the plastic ones?

any advice would be very much appreciated and even more if you can post photo’s of the mods done on the firewall in order to accept the normal plastic engine mounts.

Thanks in advance

regards
Daniel cardona.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielCardona
hello to all, i know its an old thread but i try my luck anyway. I’m planning to build a Dave platt 1/6 waco which basically its the same as the Pica 1/6 waco.

I’m thinking to put a four stroke but i’m undecided between a 70,80 or a 90, which one should be appropriate? I’m worried that a 70 might be too small since the model is actually designed for a 60 two stroke.

I also noticed that some people also used normal plastic engine bearers instead of the hardwood ones , what modifications are needed to go for the plastic ones?

any advice would be very much appreciated and even more if you can post photo’s of the mods done on the firewall in order to accept the normal plastic engine mounts.

Thanks in advance

regards
Daniel cardona.
I flew my 1/6 Pica WACO with a .91 4 stroke. I felt that it flew well with that engine.

I used the kit's method to mount the engine because it was the path of least resistance. The fuel tank is accessed through the firewall. If using a standard motor mount, a new, removable, firewall would need to be installed.

Access to the fuel tank, from the fuselage's RX compartment could be accomplished, but I had to move my radio gear as far forward as possible to achieve balance. The radio gear would need to be removed if the tank needed maintenance, if this method were used.