Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Which Giant Scale Plane??????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Which Giant Scale Plane??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 02:37 AM
aeroaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Giant Scale Plane??????

Ok guys, I'm ready to go gas. I need some serious help on choosing a first plane (extra or edge) and engine combo. I know nothing about gasoline engine manufacturers. Let me know who's the best and who to shy away from. As far as the ARF world I am most impressed by H-9 and AW. What do you think? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

are you looking for ARF only?

i dont hear much opostive about gaint scales the plane company.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:56 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default do some research first

I suggest that you do as much research as you can, the larger planes can get expensive.

Regarding engines, got to my site at http://www.wildharerc.com/gas_intro.html
and read this document, it will give you some basic info on gas engines.

Basically there are two kinds of engines, the magneto type engines like Zenoah and Fuji, and the lightweight competition engines made by 3w, BME, ZDZ, and Desert Aircraft to name a few. Do yourself a favor and get an engine with electronic ignition, the magneto equipped engines are harder to start and heavier, you won't be happy for long with them.

As far as airplanes, one thing I have noticed is that whataver people start with, they always want to go bigger. Save some money and buy a good engine first, and make you selection based on what you ultimately want to fly. Dont get a 50cc engine if you really want to fly 35% planes, you are just wasting money. If 35% is your goal, go there right away and spend some time learning, get help from someone with experience. The engines will last a long long time, so you can be comfortable getting a good one.

Finally, hang around at an IMAC contest to see what they do. These guys are the most experienced when it comes to aircraft setup, you can see how people who know what they are doing use.

Finally, see my planes(s) at http://www.wildharerc.com.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 02-07-2003, 12:21 AM
aeroaviator

Thanks Tom, very informative!!!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Which Giant Scale Plane??????

I have a GP PW Arf with a Brison 2.4 engine.
I am working out some range issues but it is ready to fly it's maiden voyage. Since you are in the Atlanta area, you are welcomed to see it and fly it once I get the thing trimmed.

I fly at the Conley Flyers and the Griffin Flyers fields!

Originally posted by aeroaviator
Ok guys, I'm ready to go gas. I need some serious help on choosing a first plane (extra or edge) and engine combo. I know nothing about gasoline engine manufacturers. Let me know who's the best and who to shy away from. As far as the ARF world I am most impressed by H-9 and AW. What do you think? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 PM
OUTCAST

I own several gas planes, and for small engines I like Brison and ZDZ. There are other engines just as good but the service I've received from these two is excellent. For 100cc and larger it's a toss up between DA and 3W. For a small gas plane [ under 33%] with outstanding performance check out the Kangke Laser 2000 and the Texas hurricane www.kangkeusa.com . For the larger planes Tom and Wild Hare are getting a good reputation for quality and performance, Aeroworks and Carden.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:08 PM
aeroaviator

Geistware, would love to take you up on the offer. I fly out of GMA in Forsyth County but live in Sandy Springs. I'll definitely be in touch. Hey, tower is having a blow out on the GP 1/4 Giles right now. Anyone have any input on this ARF? I was comparing the recommended Super Tiger g2300 with the 3w24 and there is not much size and weight diffference there. Is this a respectable combo? -Would like to start out on the smaller scale before giving Tom a call. That red and white sure is pretty Tom!
Old 06-06-2003, 12:17 PM
deggers

Built one this Spring. Had not built a plane since 1973 and it was SIG kit I never put radio in. Having said this, I found it very high quality for the price. Monokote needed a couple hours of ironing initially to remove wrinkles. Packing and shipping was good. I did replace most all of the hardware, just because I wanted the best and found the included items average.

For grass fields:
4" Sullivan Super Lite wheels, no pants
1.5 inch tail wheel
Sullivan tail wheel assembly for 14-20 lb planes

Zenoah G26 with 18x6 or 18x8 Master Airscrew Classic
Dubro heavy duty control horns
Dubro pinned hinges
Graupner sailplane surface gap tape
TruTurn 3 inch spinner
6 volt NIMH batteries with voltage regulator
Dubro large Gas quick fill
24 oz tank, runs a LONG time, mounted backwards in fuse and rearward of standard position
1/4 scale pilot

I placed batteries and reciever as far back as possible, added 8oz to tail and it still balances a little nose heavy. OK for now. Total weight, 14 lbs. I also added lots of epoxy and CA coating. Highly recommend two coats of thinned epoxy underside of belly pan and cowl. They are good, but the epoxy will prevent brittleness and eventual cracking.

Plane runs and looks great. Have not yet flown, as I am just finishing training on a small trainer. Hope to have up soon.

Highly recommend the ARF.

P.S. I paid $234 on sale last February and had a $25 coupon on top!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84293_33057.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	33019  
Old 06-06-2003, 12:19 PM
deggers

Another G202 picture.

Name:	84294_33057.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	33020  
Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 PM
deggers

Batteries: 1800mah NIMH from Walmart Camera for $10 for 4
Battery Holder: www.acemodel.com
Gem 2000 and reulator: MPI
Hardware: Tower Hobbies
Radio: Futaba TX6AX PCM with s9001 servos
1.25inch aluminum servo arms on tail feathers for maximum throw

Name:	84298_33057.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	33021  
Old 06-06-2003, 12:31 PM
deggers

One more pic of finished fuse inside...

Name:	84299_33057.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	33022  
Old 06-07-2003, 09:08 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Comment on the Giles- I have had two of these airplanes and my son has one as well. I lost both of mine. One due to a wing failure and the other due to a Rx failure. G.P. went above and beyond in replacing the first one complete with a new OS 160 FX, Rx, servos, the works. Their evaluation of the wing was that it shouldn't have failed. Can't say what happened with the Rx on the 2nd. one other than possibly vibration got to it. Yes, I had it padded well..... Sent the Rx to Futaba to have it checked out and Futaba said there were two cracked ceramic filters that were damaged due to a hard landing. I will never know if it was a hard landing or the crash that cracked the filters.

Even after losing two of these airplanes and after having assembled two myself, I can tell you that all in all it's a pretty good airplane, IMHO. There were a few thread comments about incidence problems with earlier models. I did not encounter this. For the $ it's hard to beat and this airplane is a good introduction into the 1/4 scale. I really liked how mine flew. If you go with this model be sure to not get too much throw in the elevator. There have been several threads about snapping with too much throw. I encountered this on the first model and after adjusting all was ok.

Once you have the throws set right I found it to be a forgiving airplane. Both of mine and my sons tracked perfectly on takeoff. We both have a tendency to come in on final a bit too hot and the airplane will soar and soar. It takes a bit to find the right speed for final to avoid the soaring issue. At least it did for us.

Last I saw Tower was asking 279.00. Anything below this is a pretty good deal when you consider that most other airplanes will cost around 400.00 and up. I am in the process of assembling a WM 300 Extra. Purchased on sale for 375.00 at my local hobby store. If I had the same to do all over again I think I would have gone with either the G.P. Patty Wagstaff Extra or the WM from the get go. You can always buy a more expensive model than these suggestions. I really did like the looks of the Giles and enjoyed them while they lasted. Not meant to be a negative hit to the airplane.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:13 PM
rfw1953

Here is a pictures of my son's Giles. He also used the OS 160 FX.

Name:	84616_11582.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	33023  
Old 06-08-2003, 03:50 AM
flyrcplanes

I have a GP Giles with a 1.6 MVVS gas engine and it flys great. Just don't set the elevator up with too much throw and she will fly great. With correct throws there are no bad tendancies. I think this is one of the best built large scale ARFs on the market. For the money you just cant beat it. IMHO
Old 06-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had two Giles, one on glow and the other on gas. Both were great even though the gas version was a little heavy. For general flying it is a good buy. If you have a 40cc engine, I would recommend the PW extra it is a great flying plane.

Aeroaviator, It looks like I have to send my engine in for repair, but the plane flies great. WHen I get my engine back, I will let you know and you should come on up and fly or I can come down there.

Sounds like a PLAN!
Old 06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

I would recommend either the AW 31% edge or the H9 33% cap. The AW is great with a 65-75CC. The cap will take an 80-100 CC. A ZDZ 80 on the cap would be unlimited. Both are good 3D and IMAC planes.

Greg
Old 06-18-2003, 04:55 PM
rfw1953

This is almost funny. I have had two G.P. Giles 202's and decided to not get another, even though I really liked the airplane. Then I saw these pictures on the thread and just so happen to have all my servos, Rx and the 160 still uncommitted on the bench. I looked around and decided that I had to have another one. How's that for loyalty??? I know it sounds crazy, but when you like something, well, why mess with it. I liked this airplane and had a lot of fun flying it. Just a fun airplane in it's class. Maybe the third time will be a charm. Ordered it this morning.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

That Giles is a great deal at Tower - $249 - can't beat that!