Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cox T-28 Trojan Available!!! (PICA)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cox T-28 Trojan Available!!! (PICA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 PM
WarbirdFlyer404
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox T-28 Trojan Available!!! (PICA)

Thanks for the information Gary I was trying something like that using standoff mounts for the engine but never realy came up wiyh the right measurement the same should work for me with a G-23 that I ,m waiting to recieve back from Horizion repair center. They rebuilt it for me for 80 bucks, It should be at my door step any day. Did you have any trouble mounting the retracts?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:22 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info Gary. Here is a possible solution for the large four stroke (1.50, but the 1.80 should be the same.
If the engine is mounted in the 7 o'clock postion (looking from the front), reverse the carb (remove two screws and rotate 180 degrees), then loosen the attachment to the head and turn the carb body and intake about 20 degrees clockwise (if looking at the engine from the rear). The carb body should then be sitting with the needle valve sticking right out the side of the of the cowl and the throttle arm will be right under the tank and above the retract unit. You will still need a 90 degree exhaust adapter, but that should do it. More to follow.
TOmmy
Old 03-24-2007, 09:21 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

A few photo's for those looking for a more scale nose retract.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45255.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	648683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60561.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	648684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71226.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	648685  
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
Very scale-like. Any info wrt the source of the retracts?
Thanks, hope to see more of your progress.
hookemut
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
WarbirdFlyer404

Gary have you ran the engine enough to know if the cooling fins that had to be removed are going to interfier with the engine running at the right tempature or could it possibly run a little hot? B&B specialties has a header pipe that they say will fit inside the cowl on the T 28 without having to make any cut outs for it. I will purchase one of thesae for my plane. Are you using the retracts from Cox?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
DocYates

I beleive Darryl at Sierra Precision is making the "scale" front strut and mechanism for the T-28. I know he has a kit and is doing his own research in to fabricating a set of gear for the model.
I have some of his stuff in my jets and it is top quality stuff. A very nice guy to talk to and very knowledgeable.
TOmmy
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM
WarbirdFlyer404

Yes Doc, I called Darrell today and asked him if he would put togther a package deal for me with the new retracts he has come up with. What a nice guy to deal with. I'm looking foward to seeing what he comes up with I have a good feeling about these retracts.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 AM
DocYates

Since there are two threads, I will not reproduce here what I have posted over there, but I have a few pics of the cockpit I added and the motor mount posted to this thread....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5623643

Tommy
Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all T-28 fans . WE flew the T-28 for the first time yesterday! The plane needed very little in the way of trim. It takes off form grass quickly with about 15 degrees of flaps. Make sure you use the differential ailerons as described in the instructions. This makes the plane not skid into turns. The plane flys very well at the low settings. I thought it got squirley at the high rates witout expo. Final dual rate setting was 60% of high rate on ailerons (very effective) and 70% on all other controls. I can not believe how slow this plane lands with full flaps. roll out was about ten-fifteen feet! SWEET! May have a video soon of the first flight. flew it four times with nothing shaking loose. The G-26 flew it effortlessly at half throttle with a Xoar 16/8 prop. Things turning 8575 RPM. This plane would be an excellent entry for Fun Scale competition. You have a complicated aircraft, i.e. retracts and flaps that just about any one can fly with a good start with a trainer. Great second plane, and can be flown with fixed gear. I did get a copy of the new manual and the retract instructions are very easy to follow. Cox Pica has a winner. You can not build the quality of model they are selling you at that price. The paint is excellent and the cover job is also excellent. The new owner of the plane had not planned on this being his first plane to fly this spring due to him being in the hobby only a short while. After about five minutes on the sticks he became very relaxed with the model. He did most of the take offs on the plane. That sums it right up. He can't wait to fly it again. I told him once he flies it it will become his favorite plane. I'll have to call his wife to see if that big grin is off his face yet. LOL
Good Day
Gary webb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28270.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	653513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74519.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	653514  
Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
gary9648

OK guys I have the video, and need help posting it. The video is a little grainy, (one pixil per half acre) and remenber this is the unedited first flight. Went very well.
Gary
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks for that report Gary. I knew this one would be a winner...it sounds just like the old one I had. And yes that plane was a lot of work to build back then...somebody will say they CAN build it better but they will be blowing smoke. There are very few builders that can replicate a factory finished model. I need one of these bad but already have 5 or 6 or 7 boxes waiting to be opened...the wife would rightfully kill me...maybe just one more!

You know you have too many airplanes when you don't really know how many you have.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM
WarbirdFlyer404

Just beautiful Gray, glad everything went well. Should get the Sierra gear tomorrow for mine and Horizion is shipping me a new G26 because they could not repair my G23. a mere 90 bucks for a new engine . Once I get everything togther I will start working on mine. Called Cox and asked them for an updated version of the instruction manual and they are mailing it to me. I dont think I will need it but why not have them send one. Cant wait to make the first flight on mine.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I'd love to see the video Gary....
Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 PM
gary9648

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K46cPv1Dca0 Here is the address. As I said before very grainy. Camera was set on low pixel rate. When I took off the plane was at half throttle, and plane was set at high rates. Once I lowered the rates the flight smooths out in the first circuit around the field. I try to fly scale planes at scale speeds. I only did one high speed pass as you will see. Most of the manuvers were done at half throttle.
Good Day
Gary Webb
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
tailskid

G26 seemed more than enough "Umph"......nice flyer!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
gary9648

Yes the G-26 will make it look like a jet at high throttle settings. I was able to do a reverse hald cuban eight with unlimited climb at the 45 degree rate of climb, was not at full throttle. Any large 1.20 glow or 100-150 four stroke should fly it as well. My old one had a Super tiger 2500 in the nose and it flew the plane around at half throttle most of the time. That large straight thick wing creates a lot of lift.
Gary
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
WarbirdFlyer404

Well I started builing the T28 today but I seem to have run into a slight problem. I seem to be off on the measurement between the wing and the elevator. It seems to me that the wing mounting holes where the dowels go in are not centered as they should be . Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm coming up off from one side to the other at the least 3/4 inch and I am debating on moving the dowels to line the wing up centered at the leading edge. Can someone HELP?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
gary9648

first, place a large T pin in the center of the aft portion of the fuse. Mount the wing. Then measure from the pin to each wing at the outboard end of the aileron. (you are looking for easy acurate place to take measurements on both wing tips). If the measurements are off then you will have to move the wing, either by changing the wing hold down bolt holes or moving the wing dowels. also take measurement from wing root to wing tip in middle of wing cross section to see if they are equal distant. Only after having aligned the wing do you want to measure the wing to elevator to make sure stab is aligned with the wing. Hope this helps.
Gary
Old 04-07-2007, 03:53 PM
WarbirdFlyer404

Thanks for the info Gary. It helped and now i'm moving right along.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
kochj

Someone tlked about piting in a 170 saito radial????
Any news/?
Did it fit?
Thinking the same combo, or just go inexspensive with 26cc, Or I might just wait and see what the new gas bearcat Will look like and cost when it is released this fall.........
Can not tell you the manfactures name, though it will be in a ARF form..........
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
tailskid

"Or I might just wait and see what the new gas bearcat Will look like and cost when it is released this fall......... "....

You can tell me, I won't tell anyone - promise!!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 PM
kochj

[8D] You will find out soon enough! Does it really matter that much anyway? It will be scale w/a fiberglass fuse! You can probly guess that this will not be the first time the manufacture of the bearcat has played with fiberglass fuses! EX. Never seen a fiberglassed fuse from H9! So you can probly count that one out! Nor Great planes!
I would build one if I hade the time..... the wings are strait, and from what builders have said they go together quite well. Heck, you can even get a fiberglas fuse already manufactured now by some good private builders, this cuts out much building time..... I would like to have a bearcat or hellcat in a 100cc size and put in a BME 115cc and kick arse!. Unfortianatly, most of the ARF's will not go to that cc size.
I have hardly enough time to put together a quick build ARF!
typically a 6 month minimum on a full build! So you can quess why people buy ARF's
justin
Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: kochj

[8D] You will find out soon enough! Does it really matter that much anyway? It will be scale w/a fiberglass fuse! You can probly guess that this will not be the first time the manufacture of the bearcat has played with fiberglass fuses! EX. Never seen a fiberglassed fuse from H9! So you can probly count that one out! Nor Great planes!
Great Planes has several fiberglass fuse ARFs.

Yak
Old 04-27-2007, 05:16 PM
kochj

okay totally wrong about GP- they have quite a few glassed fuses!!
Top flite or KMP are my best guesses!

[:-]

Who has the radial engine in this condom?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:13 PM
kochj

Any pictures to share?
I am not sure what you meant by a new evolution 26ccgt? It looks like there has been no change sincethe fall of 2006? The Gt2 has a new ignition. It has been out since last fall (I know I owned one)
Let us know how it went.
ZDZ 40F3A at the same weight as the 26gt would but with some cowl clearence for the fins (just like any other engine for this bird).
ORIGINAL: WarbirdFlyer404

Yes Gary if you installed a G-26 in the T-28 please let us know how it can be done. I'm currently looking at the Evolution GT2. Its a new Gas engine that is due out early April. I sat in the garage last night for hours and just could not figure out how to mount the G-23. The Evolution looks like it would be a good canidate and is a rail mounted engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.