Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF people - What are your reasons for not building kits?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
No time to build
16.60%
No patience to build
1.89%
No skills at building
4.91%
No space to build
4.15%
To messy
0%
I just want to fly and not worry about building
10.00%
What's the point I can buy an ARF cheaper than I can build it
16.98%
I build kits and ARFs
35.28%
I plan to try my hand at Kit building in the future
4.91%
Other: Please list your answer below
5.28%
Voters: 530. You may not vote on this poll

ARF people - What are your reasons for not building kits?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ARF people - What are your reasons for not building kits?

JC,

Sorry that you didn't enjoy building. I guess that ARF's are the best choice for you. Hope you come back to the builders group someday.

TAZZZ,

It's not about winning or losing. Only flying is the sport side of it. Building and flying completes the hobby part of it. The flying only thing is fairly recent (in major numbers) Building small aircraft has been around since before airplanes could carry people. Wilbur and Orville built small gliders to test their theories, as did Chanute, Lithiniel(sp?), and DaVinci. It's a lot of fun. Sorry that you chose not to participate. Imagine taking a pile of sticks and planks, and coming out of your shop with a model that you built, and enjoy flying.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough time and not enough space, I`ll stick with ARF
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I really think one can draw a paralell between full size airplanes and model airplanes. I like all kind of airplanes. For Christmas my wife gave me a trip to Lakeland next April (Sun'n Fun, my fave airshow). I love homebuilts, but I would never attempt building one. I would buy a RTF (factory built) had I the money:-)

Gerry
Will you be staying over for Top Gun? If so, stop by the Judging tents, and say hello.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I would Bill, but I will arrive on Wed. (9th), and leave Saturday (12th) late. My boss is a ******* and does not give me more time off (I am self-employed):-) Otherwise, I would stop by...

Gerry
Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

P40 , prior to weathering , parts from Top Flight P40 added to cowl and gear pods , paint , split flaps and correct counter balances in rudder /elevator , rear windows added vs decals , yes I know its a stand way off but I like it and it was simple , painted and added panel lines , just waiting to air brush and flat coat .

H9 Corair & willshobby saefury , flaps were made with fliteskin , yes there split and no there not split scale , I am showing the retracts because the plane was not equiped with any rails for retracts , i took the wing apart , figured out the angles and build the new rips /rails to house the gear , all of my canopys slide

I know its not Top Gun , but its fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90484.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	838379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10102.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	838380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84539.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	838381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73681.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	838382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47804.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	838383  
Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

sorry dont know why there so big lol , this is the last of some pics on fun with ARfs , hope no one minds the pics , but i was rambleing too much
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61816.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	939.3 KB
ID:	838394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81262.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	838395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41186.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	838396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46755.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	838397  
Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope that everyone who enjoys the sport/hobby has a very prosperous and Happy New Year. May all landings be those from which you can taxi back to the shut-down area, and may your covering stay on your wings.

Seriously, I hope that regardless of the discipline which you follow, 2008 will be a good year for you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to throw my 2 cents in here

I'm a Kit builder been doing it for 36 years now,,, I own 1 ARF & I love it

I will always build kits because I like to. and the quality is much better in a home built craft only because I know where I need to build up a plane for my flying site and flying style. it took some years to build quality though, it just doesn't happen,, Patients, working slowly and accurately is the only way.... and I never get disapointed in a crash,, it happens and it is going to happen again and again... learn to enjoy the show.... I've had planes for years and never crashed once,, then one day...[X(]

I think ARF's are fantastic,, it gets people out to the field to fly and we all have a great time flying together,, we all share the same passion,, we love to fly Bottom line

I personally love the feeling of building a plane and then watching it soar into the skys, there is no better feeling of gratification to me... I've never sold one of my planes as I just can't bare to part with them unless it was in a balsa explosion of a wreck,, then I will burn it on the pit in honor of all years of great service to me,,, Yes I'm weird... but I'm happy

I recommend everyone tries to build a kit at least once in their lifetime though,, just to say I did it all Myself...

Old 01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
MRMcFarlandM

I used to build kits, but now in the world of pattern the best planes are all painted in the mold arfs. My Smargd is the last kit plane I built and that was 5 years ago.

Mike,
Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I build kits and prefer them to arfs but the prices of kits lately are exceeding the arf prices and people are taking advantage of this as I’m sure we've all seen on eBay.

Older much desired kits selling for twice sometimes three times as much as they were sold for from the manufacture , which unfortunately causes kits to die out to Arfs and also due to the ease and convinces of them and sometimes the lack of building skills from just wanting to go fly. I know this to be fact at least at my clubs, most guys would rather buy a arf because if they crach it, they just go buy another one... No harm done. Don't get me wrong, there are some good arfs out there depending on what you want but I build warbirds and to get a good one, you'll pay well for it. So I prefer kits. Also most hobby shops don't supply kits, they've gone with the arf thing as well, which leads most to buy them.

There are so many junk Arfs out there that we just settle for and thus makes in my opinion the few kit companies that do still exist prices soar. Then all you hear are the complaints of that. You cant win for losing.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
bhady

I build kits, and assemble ARF's. Kits allow me to escaper reality during the winter months. Summer is for fllying. If gravity overcomes lift and I crash a plane during flying season, an ARF will get me back into the air quickly so I can enjoy the flying season rather than sitting it out wihle I build another kit. Kits and ARF's allow us to enjoy the best of both worlds.

bhady
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I just visited the Tower Hobbies site, and checked out the price of their Rapture 40. I purchased that kit last October, for $69.95, $10.00 less than the current price of $79.95. That is a 13% jump over the amount I paid. Last Summer, these were selling for $59.95. That is a 25% adjustment over an 8 month period! Meanwhile, I have seen the cost of some ARFs remain stable, or even decrease over the same time frame. The price of kits continues to increase, along with the added materials needed for completion. You end up paying twice, or even three times the cost of an ARF at the very end. Kit building is not a cost effective option on limited budgets.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
poheller
My Feedback: (34)

One thing i have noticed in this Hobby is the question Why build ARF's and Not a KIT, I have a Friend who Builds from Scratch wood, glass you name it .
there are the guys who build from scratch and ask why build from a Kit
there are the guys who build from a kit and ask why build from scratch or why mess with a ARF
there are the guys who build from a ARF and ask why build from Scratch or a kit
there are the guys who buy RTF and ask why mess with any of the Above.
Point being is thatall of your Airplanes i see on RCU are great works of ART I have really never seen one i did not like, maybe not my style but never less awsome looking, and the tips you all post on here weather it's scratch, kit,arf or RTF is priceless. and it proves we all want the same end result a great looking great flying plane.
My hats off to all of you guys. Nice Job no matter what you build or assembled.
POHeller
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
IFR Pilot

I voted no skills, kinna like Napolean Dynamite. I'm not much of a builder, but I can sure fly the hell out of'em.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Fs one

I build kits and i also build arfs.I cannot imagine not building kits .The experience and gratification that you get from it is unexplainable!!.For you younger guys out there i encourage you to build kits.The skills that you learn will benefit you in all aspects of this great hobby.YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 PM
ceecrb1

Personally i'm a mix of everything.
I've built kits..
I've had ARTF's.

The finnish on my artfs are FAR better than I can personally achieve with my building skills.
Depending on the plane, i'll preffer to spend a lot of time building. OTher planes i'll just want to get an ARTF in the air ASAP.

If i'm flying anything i'd call "precision" aerobatics etc, I preffer to get ARTF that i feel is more "acurately" built than I can personally acheive.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:05 PM
tazzzz

I buy ARF. Then bolster, reinforce and upgrade the hardware,,then and only then I can fly with confidence. TAZZZZ[sm=punching.gif]

If this rain keeps , it might not come down[sm=punching.gif]

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Oberst
Banned

Right now I don't have the space, I build my ARF Aircraft in a 1 bedroom home with my wife and son. My landlord is having us move to a 2 bedroom house with a full walk-in basement with windows. He's re-modeling the whole house and he's making a nice workshop for me in the basement. I can hardly wait to build a kit or two after August.

Personally, I enjoy looking at a ARF Aircraft just as much as the kits. I've built some ARF's that were so bad, I made them more of a kit by the time I was done, so for me they are all good.

Bring what you love
love what you bring
what I think of you plane
because it's a ARF or Kit
is not my place for me.

Pete