Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Best "by the book" ARFs?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Best "by the book" ARFs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best "by the book" ARFs?

One of the things that has been frustrating me lately has been diving into what I think will be a simple project but having it turn into a lot more challenging project than I was expecting.

I recently built a trainer ARF that required a LOT of carving and sanding to fit some standard servos. This suprised me because the trainer is also sold as RTF, and I was using the same servos that normally come bundled with the RTF package.

I have a pattern ARF I'm working on now from a very respected manufacturer. When I built the wing, I discovered the control rods included for the aileron's were way too short. It wasn't anything that $1.50 at the LHS couldn't fix, but it suprised me. Now I'm working on the fuselage, and when I cut the covering away to install the tail stabilizers, I discovered there is no slot cut for the vertical stabilizer.

I'll get that sorted out, too, but here's my question. Which ARF manufacturer, in your experience, gets it right the most right out of the box? When you buy the ARF, you open the box and you've got everything you need. You follow the instructions, all the steps are covered in good detail and with good photographs, and you don't have to re-engineer solutions for the airframe's shortcomings?

Please feel free to name the manufacturers and the ARFs that you've had a "by the numbers" experience with!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Best "by the book" ARFs?

Who uses instructions to assemble an ARF? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Once you done 3 or 4 of them--it's all the same.

Glue the wing panels together
Glue the stab in
Glue the fin on
Glue the hinges
Drop the servos
Make the linkages
Put the tank together
Mount the motor
Slap in an RX and a switch
Balance it with the battery

Done.

Who needs instructions?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but I'm a bit baffled by your complaints.

First off, it's an ARF. It's not going to be perfect. Every ARF I've ever put together required just a few minor tweaks to finish it. It's not that big of a deal and it's common. Even the big name manufacturers distribute ARFs with minor flaws or details that need addressing during the assembly.

Second, do you REALLY need the instructions to put an ARF together? Give me the balance point and the recommended control throws--thats all I need. It's not that complicated to put an ARF together.

Third, I've NEVER opened an ARF box and used everything that was inside. 95% of the time, I toss the hardware in the trash and buy better stuff anyway. I used to complain about ARF hardware. Then I realized that it's from China--your not going to get nice hardware. If your picky about how you rig your models--just toss all the little plastic baggies in the trash and buy what ya want to use.

If you want perfection--learn to build kits or scratch your own. You'll never get it from an ARF. I look at the cost of an ARF like this--I'm paying someone to frame and cover the airframe for me. I'll buy my own linkages and hardware to suit my taste.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
bigedmustafa

If you want perfection--learn to build kits or scratch your own. You'll never get it from an ARF.
Not a problem, I build kits. When I buy an ARF, I want it to be easy. The ARFs I've been putting together haven't been easy.

My first ARF was a TT Tiger Stick .40, and it's been the best so far. That was one plane that just plain went together like it was supposed to. Of course, that's the beauty of the Ugly Stik, the simplicity of it all...
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 AM
aussiesteve

Composite-ARF gets my vote hands down but they are probably not the sort of ARF that you are referring to.

For the cheaper "everything in a box" ARF's that regularly getting them right, fly well and have good instructions goes, I'd have to vote for Seagull.

I've assembled about 20 different ones of their "kits" and have never had a major problem with them other than one where the slot for the horizontal stabiliser wasn't quite parallel to the wing (an easy fix and it probably wasn't enough to worry about).

To be quite honest though, I have yet to buy an ARF which has been built as well as I would like, Has the covering of the qualilty that I would like and has hardware of a quality that I like.

If I had time to scratch or kit build I would but I like to fly.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:51 AM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bigedmustafa

Buy Hanger 9 Plug and Play. Everthing is already installed except the receiver.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...erm=PNP&CatId=
Personally if you want to see what a bunch of carving looks like build a kit.
John
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As you may (or may not) know, I do reviews for RCU Magazine. As a reviewer, I assemble many more planes that the average flier.

In my experience, the planes that have given me the least amount of trouble have been Hangar-9/Seagull, and Great Planes/Top-Flite
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
ElectRick

IMHO, it's unrealistic to expect not to find at least some minor problems with the average Chinese ARF. These things are built by low wage workers who have limited skills, and little to no sense of craftsmanship like you or I would have. The hardware is just barely sufficient to be able to be called what it is. It's made cheaply, with poor QC and materials. It keeps the ARF cost low. I count on ARF hardware being unusable, and plan around it.

That said, ARFs nowadays are much better overall than they were twenty or even ten years ago. I believe a lot of that is a result of having to compete in an ever-increasingly crowded market.

Among the better built ARFs I've done are the Great Planes offerings, Black Horse Models (very impressive!), and H9 ARFs. The worst ones in recent memory were a no-name Chinese ACRO 50 sport ARF that has wing wood so soft that I will have to rebuild parts of the wing before I can use it, and a Goldberg Lightnin Bug. Whoever built that thing apparently never heard of sharp knife blades or sandpaper. It was shameful. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the covering job on my latest ARF, the Electrifly SE-5. It was very wrinkly with many lifting edges. The cowl didn't fit either. When I tried to snug up a wingtip, the covering pulled away from the tip and now I have to patch the tip.

Rick
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Well there are some arf's that are better than others.For one,it's Hangar Nine.I have been very happy with the quality and ease of assembly of all their products.Great Planes,in the models I have purchased has also been a good choice.I was real disappointed with Sig.[:'(]
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
bjb6723

Putting together my 2nd Hangar 9 now. It is the Showtime and it is a very high quality ARF. Hangar 9 puts some nice ARFs out there.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought World Models ( T-34 ) was pretty good and straight forward. I`ve known lots of friends that have had multiple H9 ARFs and they seem to like them as far as being " by the book ".
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I have seen and heard good things about World Models too
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
bigedmustafa

I appreciate the recommendations here, you guys. I'm going to have to treat myself to a new World Models or Hangar 9 ARF sometime. I've got to finish my pattern ARF first, of course, and then build the two new kits that I have sitting in boxes in the closet.

The funny thing is I usually avoid Hangar 9 ARFs because they're so common out at the field, but I figured there was a reason why.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
150flyer

I think you've been given the best names, especially Hangar 9. I have built their Funtana 40, Ultra Stick 40, Twist, Tribute 36 and Extra 260 for myself and others with no assembly problems. I would give Great Planes a close second.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
cjposada

If you really want time saving ARFs you can't go wrong with Phoenix Models or Black Horse Models, even the ailerons, rudder and elevator came prehinged and covered in the same material as Hangar-9.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I think as you step up in size and price you start to get some VERY good quality in ARFs.

The Great Planes Performance Series (I have the Ultimate) is almost perfect. It really is a step up from the smaller stuff. Also I have a QQ Yak 86" it is outstanding in the quality and the design. Amazing how good it really is. And on these you tend to use the supplied hardware because it usually is Dubro or some other qualiy stuff. Another one I have that was excellent is my AirWild Extra. Great quality.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
orenda635

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

One of the things that has been frustrating me lately has been diving into what I think will be a simple project but having it turn into a lot more challenging project than I was expecting.
I hear you! Testify!
I really hate building because I just plain suck at it. Just went through a nightmare putting together Hangar 9's Sopwith. Check out my mini-review in the user reviews section.

Hanager 9's new Plug-n-Plays look great for building-impaired pilots like me. Better yet, just buy planes that somebody else put together. There are plenty of quality used planes around if you know where to look.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I would have to put in a vote for the World Models Super Chipmunk as I am currently building it and i have gone completely by the book and have had no confusion or alterations that i have had to make. Beautiful plane cheap price and easy to build. Plus it has excellent hardware.

Flyboy76
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
TideFlyer

The H9 PNP`s are about as easy as it gets. My new Pulse XT was literally a snap and appears pretty well made to boot. It`ll be interesting to see if H9 expands the PNP concept and offerings ( war bird? ).
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
cjposada

Has anyone experienced the Nitro Models P-40 60?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: cjposada

Has anyone experienced the Nitro Models P-40 60?
Wow! If a Nitroplanes.com ARF ever went "by the book" that would be a huge story... especially since they don't usually come with a book!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:38 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I think it also depends on the type of ARF you are assembling , warbirds are difficult to build by the book , you just start to see things as your assembing it and you may or may not make changes based on your own experience .
Things like reinforceing the firewall , adding wood wheel wells vs plastic ect ect .

I do agree with the moderator on H9 , but will also ad VQ. I have the P40 and litterally did notihing in major mods , parts fit like a glove , engine bulkheads were rock solid, tank compartment look custom built , wing was very tight in the fuse saddle .. its just a great arf .

As far as instructions and assembling sequence , I do not go in the sequence listed above .
1)I add servos to wings before glueing them together ,
2)Measure and add all control horn before adding any flying surface
3)add -airlerons /flaps
4)route all lines thru the center wing or special holes provided
5)add any detail-ie panel lines , while wings are still flat
6)check movemnet of control surfaces to get it close to settings called for
6)Glue wings together
You will see that the less you permantly attach parts before trying your radio , the easier you can adjuct anything without damage to your plane

Fuse
add
1)engine first -fuel proof area if need , use (I -do ) Z-42 to lock threads when I know the engine is correct to the cowl, then the bolts can be secured from vibrating loose --reinforce firewall and 1 & 2-bulkheads if they look poorly assembled
2)tank -so I know fule line are equal to or slightly above carb
3)internal servos or tail servos (what ever the model calls for )
4)add horns to flying surfaces based on your "dry" assembled tail area to indicate markings and the best slop free point of attachment -I never add the tail before the engine , this way you can stand the fuse up and work on the engine area without any damage to the tail .Glue tail in -connect batter /receive for a trial setting for throws
5)then with the fully assembled plane I tape or rubber band my receiver and battery to the outisde of the plane to achive the requied CG..this allows you to play with those two things without removeing the wing
6)then I add them inside , secure them and check the CG again
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been on a H9 'roll' of late....last 4-5 ARF's have been by them....did manage to get my hands on a CG Bipe and was impressed!