Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

tip for Great Planes Spacewalker ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

tip for Great Planes Spacewalker ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:27 AM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip for Great Planes Spacewalker ARF

Hello out there, I put together my GP Spacewalker ARF last July. At that time I was still on a buddy box and had not even attempted to land yet! Anyway... I just HAD to have this Spacewalker, if you know what I mean!! It will have it's maiden flight this spring. MY TIP: IF you follow their directions and use their supplied control rod components you MAY end up with POSSIBLE elevator flutter in flight. I was doing some odds and ends, getting it ready for spring, when I notice a LOT of slop in the elevator halves. (I missed this during the assembly stage) Now... anyone who "beefs up" from factory directions may not experience this. The wood dowel control rod, at the rear, was moving side to side whenever I put pressure on the elevator halves. (either one or both at the same time). I cut an access hatch in the bottom, and made a lite ply support around the elevator control rod, and attached it to the 2nd to last former. It is an "X" type arrangement and surrounds all four sides. One support part goes between the elev. and rudder control rod. It worked out great.....AND it also help out the rudder too. (I had discovered some flex there too!) Hope this is of some help. lownslo

Bob.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Jetmech-inactive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used stock control rods on mine and have had no trouble so far, about 10 flights now. However the gear is not strong enough for some of my not so gentel landings, so I'am going to put a Aluminum Dural gear on it. think that will hold up much better.
Really like the way this plane flies with saito 91 usually only about half throttle.
Good Luck with yours, you'll love it.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:33 AM
lownslo

Hello jetmech, I also did the aluminum LG switch.
I won't be flying it till later this spring so I can only state what other guys have said about the gear on the chin block. No problems with ground handling and the fuse can sit on a workbench!!
I am having trouble posting pix..... so if you can email me I can try to email you a jpeg image of it.
..... lownslo

Bob
Old 02-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Zoned
My Feedback: (14)

Hi, I have one with the YS91 and love the plane and the engine. The only thing I would keep an eye on is the fire wall. My fire wall ripped out when I floored it to get myself out of a nasty crosswind landing. The engine ,firewall and fuel tank came out in one package so I put it pack in and glassed it so it stays put.

Pat
Old 02-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spacewlker tips

I'm running mine with a Saito 120 so I put 4-40 rods on everything. Sealed all the gaps. We have a grass runway and the stock wheels don't do well so I left off the pants and went with larger 3.5 in Dubro wheels. Agree if you come in alittle hard the gear will flex out. I have had no flutter or slop. Pete
Old 02-25-2002, 06:34 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

mm.. sounds interesting, i have 7yrs of exp. flying and have taken 1.5yrs off, im want to get back into it again.

im debating on getting this model, would this be to hot to start again??

i'll probably start over and get me a trainer

what do you think, is it really hot/squirrley??

thanks
Old 02-25-2002, 07:54 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Spacewalker

Brian:

I have been flying my GP Spacewalker 3 years with a TT 91. It is a very nice and easy to fly airplane. Not sure you would have a problem getting back with it especially if you have someone to give you an "assist". I have detected no bad habits. Lands slowly, flies steady and recovers easily. With at .91 I can fly at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and still enjoy it. It is also bigger than the average trainer and easier to see. If you have flown taildraggers in the past I don't think you would have a problem. Just my opinion.

Hey, how are things in Berlin??? I grew up in Alliance.....

Dan
Old 03-14-2002, 12:10 AM
Jetmech-inactive

Default spacewalker pic

Trying to post pic of spacewalker
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2002, 01:31 AM
rexbirk

I have a YS91 in mine, a great flyer. Very seldom have to use full throttle. I installed 2 elevator servos on mine with 440 rods. Elevator control is now solid. Have not had a single problem with mine. I love it.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:25 AM
bigbigjoe
My Feedback: (2)

Default Spacewalker tip

Put a Sig 4 Star 120 Landing gear on this plane and through the stock landing gear away.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Jetmech-inactive

Default Space Walker Gear

I ordered a 1/4 scale gear for my Spacewalker but it will require
a sheet metal brake to form the dihedral angle. So in the mean time I just ran a single strand of .032 safety wire across the legs and it seems to be working quite well, no spreading. Makes gear a bit stiff, so I'll have to see how well the wing holds up to it.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:07 AM
ChinookPilot

Default GP SpaceWalker--scale gear

Hey JetMech,
What kind of gear is the 1/4 scale deal you say you have on yours; where do you get it; and what does it cost. Does it install like the one supplied with the kit?

Sam
Old 03-19-2002, 06:03 AM
rctimm99
My Feedback: (34)

1. you re exopy the fire wall... I almost lost my hand when it came off... use 1/4 round molding and 15 min.... I now run a convered Ryobi no trouble...
2. make your push rods longer with less ROD... have ONE servo for each side of the elev.
3. go to the hardware store and pick up 1/16 cable... place between the wheels then take up the slack with a sping going from the center of cable to center of wing..... works welll
4. Use a lower pitch prop like a 16 / 6 or 15/ 6 with 91 to 100 FS.... better ground on the ground.
5. always have high rates on the rudder.

May consider mounting the servos on the tail if you are too nose heavy....
Old 03-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Jetmech-inactive

Default Firewall??

Is the firewall coming loose on all the Spacewalkers? havn't done anything with mine yet, seems to still be secure. Did the firewalls that came loose give you any warning first ie vibs etc?
Is the firewall just butted up against the fuse skin or does the skin overlap the firewall where I could epoxy some dowles through it. I don't like the idea of a Saito 91 in my lap. :angry:
Old 03-20-2002, 08:13 AM
rctimm99
My Feedback: (34)

Default fire wall

yes... they come out. What I noted was NO GULE in the joint, only bside it. Take small chunks of qtr round molding and expoy to front. If you can get them behind the firewall as well, this will hold it fine.

Note, I had NO warning when the firewall went... Satio 100 hit the ground and bounced back into me, the prop hit the man next to me. I called GreatPlanes, and they said to send the fuse back and they would replace. I just decided to it is best to do it right. I now understand it is very common to reglue firewalls in ARFs.
Tim
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
dan v

Default RE: tip for Great Planes Spacewalker ARF

Hi everyone,
I'm building the spacewalker 11 120 version. My plane is a little tail heavy. Can I leave the tail strust support off? Or does it have to be there?
thanks you very much
dan