Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Engine Choice (OV-10 Bronco)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Engine Choice (OV-10 Bronco)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:01 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Choice (OV-10 Bronco)

I ordered this arf today, but am in a quandry on engine choices.

I really don't think 2 O.S. .25FXs will be enough for my liking (Pylon Racing Blood in me). I could go to .32 fxs, but not sure if I want to spend that much.

What do you guys think about two TT .36 s'?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engines

I'm bashing a kit into a triple and am thinking about using the
GMS .32 ABC engine http://www.mecoa.com/gms/index.htm

Another engine I am also considering is a LEO .37 from justengines.unseen.org. They have different carbs available/mods for speed on this engine. I have a Leo .28 and am VERY pleased with this engine. http://www.justengines.unseen.org/Leo37sf.htm

There is a link that provides RPM figures in comparison with the Leo 37 which is sized as a .32 engine but has the power of a .40.

Andy
Old 02-18-2002, 08:52 PM
daven

Default engines

Thanks for the two suggestions. Both look promising, but I haven't heard much about either of those engines, so I'm a bit leary.

I have heard a lot of good things about Irvine engines. Two of those Red .36s would look real nice on this plane.

How does that sound?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:07 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Irvines

The Irvines are nice engines and typically turn more lumber than other engines. However, they are not the rev happy engines you need in order to have speed (smaller diameter prop lots of pitch). They are great quality, low nitro, engines that are stump pullers compared to other brands.

GMS is a good brand, decent quality and a lot of value for the money. Their GMS .46 is a very popular engine and probably the strongest .46 you can buy in its price class.

Leo engines are great bargain engines that run well. They are normally a little weaker compared to the OS but their .37 Leo has several carb options that allow additional airflow into the engine without ruining the idle/midrange. I have a Leo .28 and I love it. It is an easy engine to run and tune.

Another engine that has a good reputation is the MDS .28. Its a little heavier than the GMS but seems to be on par with other engines in its class.

If saving money is not an object than try one of the MVVS engines with a tuned pipe. These are the screamers that you'll need get the desired speed. A little pricey for my blood.

Oh, almost forgot. Norvel .25 BB or Norvel .25 BigMig (bushing) are also incredible engines. These are some of the lightest and fastest revving engines around. They won't do well lugging a 9x6 prop but will really alive with a 9x4. I have flown and owned every Norvel produced (except their new .40) and their engines are great. However, I personally desire an engine that can swing slightly more prop at a lower rpm. Stump pullers, Norvels are not! Speed demons they are (www.norvel.com)
Old 02-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Fastsky

Default Engines

Go with the SX32! I have owned one for 3 years now. Its a great running engine. Its a little pricy but, its light, easy to adjust, reliable, will turn a 10-6 prop at the same rpm as my 40 FX at 14,200 rpm and uses way less fuel. Its also almost as quiet as a 4 stroke engine. What more do you want??
Old 02-19-2002, 04:09 AM
bobf46

Daven, I am also putting together the Bronco. Im going to use 2 TT36Pro. I ordered them from Quantum and 1 is still backordered. It seems TT has moved there operation to California and now there playing catchup on there orders. One thing I dont like on the Bronco is the NyRod linkage on the rudder elevator and ailerons because tempture changes affect the trim. There is no other way to do it on this airplane due to the way its built. I have not finished mine yet good luck with yours.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default OV-10 Bronco ARF

Daven:...Going to use 2 Magnum 30 4-strokes...not going to over power this bird..waiting for the retracts when available, then will start putting it together....Should be a real fun type airplane..good luck
Old 02-19-2002, 06:57 PM
daven

Turns out Irvine does not have any .36s available, and are not sure as to when they will.

I will check with Quantumn (Their store/warehouse is about 10 miles from my office in ST Paul) and see when the TT .36 will be available.

I'm just not a 4 stroke kinda guy, so they are out of the question.

I would love to go with the O.S. .32s, but at $130 apiece they are a bit spendy, and if I dork this plane early I wouldn't have much use for them.

The Nyrod thing concerns me....
Old 02-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Who makes the Bronco ARF?
Old 02-20-2002, 04:21 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am flying the heck out of mine with two saito 30's.
Don't cheap out on the engines. Remember it is a twin, and you need reliability. Go for the SX32's. If you dork the plane, they will hold their resale value better than the others, too.

Keep this in mind...on a single engined aircraft, you can have an engine that really honks but has a lousy idle. Just land dead stick. With a twin, you need both engines to idle nice and low if you want to be able to land the thing.
The nyrods don't bother me. I am noticing that they may have changed the formulation of the plastic, because it does not seem to be the issue it used to be.
You COULD replace them with braided cable if you wanted, but I think it's not needed.
A single elevator servo seems fine on mine, too.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:45 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

FWIW, I used two of the Magnum .42's on a Hobby Hangar OV-10 to purposely swing the 10-6 APC 3 bladed props. RPM couldn't of been much over 10,500 which gave this OV-10 model a more realistic sound not to mention a nice reliable idle, and good fuel economy. Flew great and got lots of compliments. Plenty of thrust at this rpm and I routinely took off at 1/2 -3/4 throttle to use most of the runway for a scale like takeoff and climbout. I fly at 5500' msl. Still one of my favorite birds....
Old 02-20-2002, 10:24 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

For those of you with the new AeroTech ARF OV-10, are they already covered for that price? If I ever build/buy another one I'd like to add flaps and retracts to it. Does the ARF allow the flap conversion without too much butchering?

Thanks all!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:44 PM
daven

Default OV-10 Bronco

The ARF Version is available through Hobby Hangar, and yes it is covered. I haven't received mine yet (hopefully today), so I can't comment on the possible flap conversion.

You can see it at www.hobbyhangar.com

Just click on the little Aerotech logo at the bottom of the page.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM
bobf46

The ARF does come covered and it is outstanding! Tight as a drum. There is room for flaps about 4 inches long but Im not sure about the butchering to get it done, it may weaken the wing at the center from the cutting etc...
Old 02-20-2002, 09:19 PM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

have not built mine up yet, but it is soo light i took the advice of hobby hanger and went with the norvel big mig .25's they are light weight and screem on the top end. i also have hitec 225's servos for it and mini's for throttles.. i am going to keep it light and fast. also did not want all the excess fule to feed the larger engines. a couple of 6 ounce tanks and i am good for 8-10 min no problem.. what do you guys think of my choices so far.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:24 PM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

hey daven,,,
sorry but quantum moved to my part of the country...they are in shelbyville ky now.. and i bought my norvel big mig .25's from them this week for the same arf......

also how about mixing the ailerons to be flaps when needed.that should show some use. and i think a wing stalls from the tip first anyway.. just my 2cents worth
Old 02-20-2002, 11:20 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Guys, fly it stock first. I have been flying mine, and it dosen't really need flaps. Sure, they would be fun, but probably not worth the work.
Flaperons would require that you ditch the stock nyrods and center servo and put one out in each wing.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:40 PM
daven

Default engines

Well,

For economy sake, I will be going with os .25 fxs. I had one, and traded for another (which use to be mine). However, If I do not like it, I wouldn't be against forcing two .40s in there.

I was going to use 225s for servos also, and 85s for throttles. 6 oz tanks should be good for at least 10 minutes.

I was hoping the box would be on my doorstep today, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Please keep the thread going, I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this arf.

Edited for spelling.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:56 AM
flyordie
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Guys , How's this ?A pair of Mvvs .28's($80 ea) with the cylinders rotated to the rear with short rear pipes. They look like they'd fit in the nacelles and much $ less than the o s's . According to the spec's at Morris Hobbies , this engine/pipe combo should look great and run well. Have kit, won't start building till next summer, still checking opions. Let me know any other input on these engines. Jeff
Old 05-25-2002, 12:03 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

You should check the height of everything to see if the pipes are going to get above the wing or not...
Old 05-28-2002, 09:08 PM
aeroscale

Default "Personalized" ScaleTech OV-10 ARF

For anyone who might be interested, here is a shot of my ScaleTech OV-10 which I painted with Krylon white primer and TF Lustrekote. Sure changes the appearance from the "out of the box" green, I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12527_1863.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2922  
Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 AM
SeaLance
My Feedback: (11)

I have an OV-10 Bronco which is powered by O.S. .32's, and I have over 270 flights on the aircraft, and it flys great. Very fast with retracts, and the engines are very reliable.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default OV-10 Retracts

Sealance:

Who's retracts are you using????????
Old 05-29-2002, 11:11 AM
SeaLance
My Feedback: (11)

I am using 5/16" Spring Air Retracts, with no gear doors and 1/4 ply for the mounting surface. Wire was bent to match the fixed gear angle so that the wheel gets hidden in the booms, and center fuselage. Flew the aircraft both ways, and flys much better with retracts, but lands a little hotter with the extra weight keep the power on as making the approach.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:49 AM
flyordie
My Feedback: (2)

Default Nice Paint!!!

Hey AEROSCALE , Nice paint job!!! I was wondering where you got the decals? Seems most guys are staying with the NAVY green/red scheme for better visibility , I personally like the USAF FAC scheme better. JEFF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.