Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

arf covering

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

arf covering

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default arf covering

I just got a new sig kadet senoir from tower, opened the box and first notice is that this plane is not covered with the advertised oracover but something called aerokote. The note says its because of better handling characteristics. i noticed that worldmodels chippie is covered with toughlon, my old wm chippie actually said monokote on the box. I guess I will have to strip off the covering and recover. I did this to the last couple of tower planes, kaos etc. I dont mind it but when they advertise it as one thing and sold me cheaper covered plane for old price.......Well anyway this might help someone to know whats going on before you buy.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
dtm360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: arf covering

What is the problem with toughlon vs monokote on the WM plane? Toughlon is OK you should give it a try before stripping everything....but I know what you mean by not getting what is advertised, I think they leave a little note on the manual "specification subject to change" specifically for this type of thing!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
opjose

I've not had real problems with Toughlon.

I just used it to recover a China-cote'd 3D Passion and it works quite well. Good adhesion.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 PM
mobyal

Before you decide to dump the Sig Aerokote, mess w/ it a little bit. I have the Cox/Pica 1/5 scale Waco that's covered in Aerokote and I really like the stuff. It's more like fabric than the pure plastics, and when you get the right temp on your iron -- don't overheat it -- it works great. I also like the fabric look that comes through, and it doesn't seem to eat Xacto blades the way the plastics do.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
IAMKAOS

yep!!.... 3 years ago i bought a tower kaos that they advertised as being covered in monokote. it was not monokote!. the covering started coming loose everywhere on the fuselage just after a few flights. i decided to recover it but monokote did not match the color on it. i called tower's service dept. who then directed me to hobbico,.. and found that it was actually covered in low heat "towerkote" which i ordered 2 rolls. the color matched perfectly. but!....it is one of the worst coverings i have ever used. the funny thing was when i called towers service dept i talked to 4 different people......no one knew what the kaos was covered with!!!!!!!!.......hhmmmm isn't the name of it "tower hobbies kaos"