Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

11x7 or 11x8 is what I've been told to run with the OS .55AX
Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Tman, please keep us posted. I was considering your same setup.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: JS615

Im turning a 11x6 on the evo.52,,, and i have tried a 10x8, not sure which one would be better, they both seem to perform about the same,, any input on this would be appreciated,, I have a os 55ax ready to go on it, wonder what size prop would work best for that engine??????
We run 11/6 APC and Master airscrew om the Evo 45 and 46, so I think you could go with more on the 52. On the OS55 I started with a 12/6, but itdidn't meet my field's 94 DB requirement. I went to a 12/8 and it was quiet enough, but the motor would sag a little at the top of big loops. 12/6 is just right if you can get away with being a little loud.

Generally, for sport flying I try to go with less pitch and more diameter. We discovered in racing that more pitch would make you faster, provided you had enough room to let it wind up, but it would also bog the motor down in the turns, and the guys with less pitch were accelerating right by us like we were parked. In sport flying, you are generally working the throttle alot in stall turns, spins, touch and goes, etc, and the acceleration is more useful than outright blinding top end speed. No, I'm not an expert of any sort, but this is what we have found works for us.

Also, as previously noted, we have to watch our noise, and more diameter keeps the rpm, and sound, down.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

Tman, please keep us posted. I was considering your same setup.

Will do. Picked up servo extensions today....should have her ready to go this weekend.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
ag4ever

My comments were in now way meant to be a burn or insulting.

They were supposed to be taken with a grain of salt and just point out that any ARF or kit needs a bit of fine tuning to make them the way you want them. Even the best need some TLC.

I don't like some of the cheap hardware, but it can work, just not great.

Hope your Craptor turns out better for you.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Trollmaster

The sad thing "Craptor" is gonna stick. H9 is going love us for this one
Old 05-20-2007, 06:16 AM
gofastz

The os 55 ax is not the answer to getting speed from this plane....I have tried 11/7 11/8, but found the 10/7 (turning at 14,500 on the ground) gives the best results for the engine plane combo...I was disappointed to the performance as will you....Grant you it will have more life in her....I 'm thinking about maybe 75AX when it comes out or maybe get real wild and try to put a 91 FX on her...If I had more cash I would go with the Jett 60LX....For now the OS 55AX will have to do......Speed is at about 70 or 80 at the most......Mark
Do you guys think a 91fx would fit?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM
150flyer

I know this is off the subject, but do models of jet aircraft being propelled around with a prop bother anyone else? It might just be me.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Trollmaster

Nope, its you! Most who fly DF and Turbines started off in prop jets
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: gofastz

The os 55 ax is not the answer to getting speed from this plane....I have tried 11/7 11/8, but found the 10/7 (turning at 14,500 on the ground) gives the best results for the engine plane combo...I was disappointed to the performance as will you....Grant you it will have more life in her....I 'm thinking about maybe 75AX when it comes out or maybe get real wild and try to put a 91 FX on her...If I had more cash I would go with the Jett 60LX....For now the OS 55AX will have to do......Speed is at about 70 or 80 at the most......Mark
Do you guys think a 91fx would fit?

Is there a reason you would go with the 60LX over the 50?

As I see it the 60 gives 1,000 more RPM, but it is tuned for the pipe, so I would guess the other RPMs would be considerably lower in power than the 50 which is not tuned to a specific RPM. I am planing to get the BSE engine, and was planning to get the 50, but if the 60 is that much better, I might get that. Just have to stop having other more important items get in the way of getting the engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
BigBadJon

i have test flown 2 of the RTFs and then i went and purchased the grey arf for myself. lol. dont have no complaints. i put a rossi 60 with a UT muffler. on mine and am in the process of adding retracts. my buddy flies his with a magnum 61.. and loves the plane to death. so maybe you got a lemon. or ya did like i do on occasion.. tip a few to many back during the build. and things go bad on flying day lol.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

BigBadJon, Please take photos of your retract installation. I too want to modify for retracts eventually. One change I am making is to install separate servos in the rear for the elevator halves. I'll move the battery forward if needed for balance. Rick
Old 05-22-2007, 03:56 PM
150flyer

I own two OS .55 AX engines. The first is on an Ultra Stick 40 with the stock muffler. Of all the props I have experimented with, the APC 11 x 6 is the fastest. My other is on a 40 size Rockie knock off and has an Ultra Thrust muffler. It is an absolute rocket with an APC 11 x 5. Turns between 15,000 and 16,000 rpm. The picture shows it with a Master Airscrew 11 x 6. It was at least 15% slower with that prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12076.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	689555  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 PM
telejojo

Just bought the gray one without engine etc. Think I will put an OS 55 and have some fun......................
Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 AM
gofastz

Don't waste your time putting the OS 55 AX on this plane.....You will not like the speed of the plane....This baby needs power, 60 size or larger....I will try the Jett 60 LX on it and report my findings when I fly her... I have the grey arf with the 55 ax and tuned pipe....turns around 15,000....with a 10/7 apc...Just doesn't do it......Mark
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suspect that a large part of its lack of speed is due to the airbrake effect of the jet intakes.

Has anyone considered modifying it to a flow-through design?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
JoeyCoates

I absolutly agree MinnFlyer, a guy has one at my local field and while the airplane flys very well once the crazy downthrust was taken out of it, it is not a speed demon with an OS 55ax. My observation was the same as yours however, those "intakes" on the front end of the Raptor are just big ole' speed brakes. I have thought about buying one because I absolutely love the way the airplane settles into a nice nose high approach with the flaps down (looks like a MD-80 coming in, beautiful) but I would immediatly make some sort of an aerodynamic fairing to smooth out the false intakes.

A lot of people have complained about the speed, or lack there of, including the gentleman who bought the Raptor at our local field. But when you think about it, this airplane was designed to be a trainer that can grow with the student to become a good sport plane, it was not designed to mimic a jets performance. It just looks like one! I have seen two Raptor's fly and once set up they flew very well, very crisp in all aspects once the training aids are taken off, but they have not been exeptionally fast, maybe 70-80 mph. But I would bet that you would see a good deal more speed out of it if those air brakes were either faired or made to a flow through design as MinnFlyer suggested. Too much fiddleing for me to make them flow through though, I am too lazy to do all of that for a semi-scale sport flyer!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeyCoates

this airplane was designed to be a trainer that can grow with the student to become a good sport plane, it was not designed to mimic a jets performance. It just looks like one!
You took the words right outta my mouth Joey

Ditto to everything you said
Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM
schwatd

Hummmmm, interesting thread,.... F-22 Craptor,....hummmm,.....Doc so it's safe to say you're unhappy with your purchase? Correct? I don't think I've read anyone elses threads about having so much trouble, seriously. Maybe it's just a lemon. I got the first one from my LHS and it took off great from grass or hard runways, it had left yaw if you goosed the throttle but behaved well if you brought the throttle up smoothly. I think the take off was just at or below 100' for hard runway and about 125' for grass. Climbed and performed well, thought you 'had' to fly this plane into a landing which isn't a bad thing. All in all I thought my experience with this plane was fairly well echoed by most everyone that flew it. Yes, retracts would be better, yes an O.S. Max 61FX would be a better engine and controllable flaps. However, except for the battery location and the wiring rats nest I thought pretty highly of this little plane. Really why don't you contact Hanger 9, maybe it really was a bad day at the plant for your plane? Just a thought
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94454.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	690489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20927.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	690490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57604.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	690491   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55184.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	690492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97792.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	690493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja42638.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	690494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh80985.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	690495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx81704.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	690496  

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
russm

i have not flown mine yet due to windy conditions. put a jett 50 on mine. seems a little small for this plane. any thoughts? russm
Old 05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
ag4ever

The jett 50 will have more than enough power for it.

Remember a Jett 50 is ike a much larger engine, but just much smaller and lighter.

I think an OS 55 would be about right for it so a Jett 50 must be even better.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:35 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

LOL! I have a Hanger PTS Mustang, the only thing that was wrong was a small spot where the Ultra-kote on the fuse was poorly applied from the factory.

Hanger 9 scores a 9 from 1-10 in my book, compared to some ARF's out there. I don't give it a 10 because they have no Axis planes in there hanger. Maybe in the future they will, and I'll give them a 10.

I could always use the hardware that hanger 9 has provided with the ARFs. If you think Hanger 9 is bad... get a CMP! [:'(] Just my 2 Cents. But some has had good results with CMP, so it's just my opinion.

So far I've had 4 flights with my Mustang without all that PTS Stuff on it, and now I'm adding all the extra details to the bird as I write this.

Keep up the good work Hanger 9! With all these hours I work in the office, I don't have time to build from a complete kit, and I like to just load up the car and go fly on one of my few days off in a week... weather permitting.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA # 856404
Pulaski, NY

Old 05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: JS615

I have a os 55ax ready to go on it, wonder what size prop would work best for that engine??????
I ran an OS55AX in my raptor for a few flights, but never got the prop just right. Later, on a Hangar 9 Mustang I found a Master airscrew 12/6 works really well, but it's kind of loud. The two planes are about the same size and weight, so thoe props should be really close.

We have noise restrictions at my field, so I had to slow it down a bit with a MA 12/8. With this prop the motor would sag a bit in big looks and such, but it did take a bunch of bite out of the sound. If you don't have a noise problem, go with the 12/6.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
DR.B.S.

ORIGINAL: schwatd

maybe it really was a bad day at the plant for your plane? Just a thought
Yea, it was just a bad time because of the need for all the modifications. I will be big enough to say now after many flights and many modifications that this plane doe's fly very nice, once it gets off the ground. It doe's have a long take off roll. I have flown it from several types of grass surface's. Obviously the longer the grass the longer the roll but even still, on very short grass it still takes a while. I am going to try black top next.
The Evolution system doe's have plenty of power once it is up and running. Although, again maybe it was just a bad day in Thailand but the engine to muffler bolts keep coming lose. I will try lock nuts and thread lock. Also the bolt going through the muffler keeps coming lose. I'm sure once it is corrected the "leaning out problem" will be solved also. Again, the engine, while everything is tight performs well once it gets off the ground. The 11x6 prop I use works better and I cant imagine the 3 blade it comes with lifting this plane off the ground on a standard grass surface, maybe a putting green but still I think one will need a whole lot of runway. Blacktop or concrete yes I can see it.
The radio system is top notch. I did set the exponential to 0 % however. I did not like the 100 % it was set at. I have never owned a JR radio before but now I am sold. I mainly have Futaba with a couple of Hi-Tec's and some are computer. The JR seems to come with a far superior battery. It holds the charge much better than the other's without the need to upgrade the pack. Futaba's programing is a bit better but overall I like the JR better for fixed wing, as of right now.
I would like to see picture's of this plane with retracts and some how too's accompanying them.
I also have 3 and 1/2 ounces of weight in the nose. I just cant agree with the instructions on that point. It needs to be a little nose heavy, in my opinion.
Yes I'm very happy with this plane and would like to change the name from Craptor to Raptor. I just feel these companies (, ALL OF THEM) should do more research before they bill them the way they do. Again, all the companies not just Hanger 9.
By the way, make that 30 plane's. I just purchased the Hanger 9 Hellcat, lol.

Happy landings,
The Doc.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
schwatd

Nice job Doc, just so you know my Raptor is a ceiling queen at my LHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.