Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Sundowner

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Sundowner

I'll try and swing out there for support!!! It will be a good Maiden!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM
FlyerRick

Sorry if I miss you bzyguy01, I'm in Casa Grande today and tomorrow so we are going to do my maiden at 7:00 early Sat morning instead...
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
bzyguy01

I went out there but the storm was on the way in and blowing dust like crazy!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judgng from many of these postnigs, this is not a plane to be taken lightly. Fuselage cracking and engine mount falling apart? This plane was on my list but not anymore. At least "they" are taking care of you guys. Sounds like a "Rare Bear" nightmare coming on.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, I'm a bit concerned over mine. It's taking a while but I'm going over the thing from one end to the other. Hopefully I can head off any problems before they become fatal problems.

While I do appreciate the fantastic service I've always had from Horizon H9 really needs to step up their QC a bit.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Cyclic Hardover

This by no means labels it as a piece of junk but looks like there are "issues". Firewalls should be beefed up on any plane regardless of who sells it but the ***** falling off, thats a beard scratcher.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62934.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	754436  
Old 09-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Rebellion

I've already added a bit of glass and triangle stock in that area on my 'Downer. I'll do something similiar to the motor box and firewall.

Name:	Ig13590.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	754618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99248.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	754619  
Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Do the same to the firewall inside and out. I run a BGX, along with the Moki's a workhorse. Something that puzzles me is that photo of the cracked rear end, Loks like the bottom part came off as if it were a section that came unglued instead of a cracked mess as the topside.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
69 roadrunner

Hardover the bottom of the plane unbolts at the rear section so i think it makes a weak spot i have not started tp build yet due to being nervie over this plan i just think the snap concern could be duo to little air over wings due to small motors ans small props the call is pretty wide and the prop only sticks over the cal buy 1.5 to 2.0 inches just a thought the runner
Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

Hardover the bottom of the plane unbolts at the rear section so i think it makes a weak spot i have not started tp build yet due to being nervie over this plan i just think the snap concern could be duo to little air over wings due to small motors ans small props the call is pretty wide and the prop only sticks over the cal buy 1.5 to 2.0 inches just a thought the runner

I wouldn't be worry too much about the strength. Our's has been flown hard from day one with no other beef up other than the standard ARF practice to run CA over all of the accessable joints. Do a careful inspection and return and get a new one if it looks really bad. There does seem to be a quality issue with some of the kits but our's was ok. Not the best but not too bad. The plane is a lot of fun to fly if properly set up.

Danny
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
reincarnate

I'm with Rocket. After reading the results of balsafire's misfortune, I went back over mine at that location. While I can see how it could potentially be a weak area, I don't see how it can be a design flaw. Any model built by a non-flier (read ARF) can and will have area's that will fail without the modelers attention. Replace what you feel needs to be replaced, reinforce potential weak spots, and be as conscientious builder as you are a flier. Any model (or full scale) will fail if attention to detail is flung aside in the rush to get it airborne, or the airframe is powered by an engine that exceeds the design specs.

i just think the snap concern could be duo to little air over wings due to small motors ans small props the call is pretty wide
runner, the engine and prop size has little to do with a snap, unless the engine cannot produce enough power to create the forward motion needed to sustain lift. The angle of attack of the wing relating to the relative wind produced by forward flight is what will cause a stalled wing, and the impending "snap". I recommend reading a book that was recommended to me, Stick and Rudder, by Wolfgang Langewische. Google "Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying" It's a great read and really should be read by anyone who is interested in any form of flight.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Do the same to the firewall inside and out. I run a BGX, along with the Moki's a workhorse. Something that puzzles me is that photo of the cracked rear end, Loks like the bottom part came off as if it were a section that came unglued instead of a cracked mess as the topside.

Exactly my intentions Cyclic.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
rfoto
My Feedback: (8)

Snap snap snap...Ouch this one hurt, My maiden was scary. High or low rate, pull too far back on the elevator and snap my plane is upside down. Unfortunately I took a second flight. This time I moved the cg and lowered the throws on the elevator. With our club president by my side, take off was just wonderful. After gaining some altitude. I pulled back on the elevator and snap.. After recovering and loud OOhs from the peanut gallery. I figured It best to bring the plane in. Here comes the unfortunate part. Upon landing about 20 feet off the deck snap right into the ground. Not much left. I think I can still use the tail... I was really excited about this plane. One of my favorite planes has been GP Shoestring. I've got 200 + flights on the Shoe with both a .61 and .91 two strokes. Maybe the Shoestring is not in the same class as the sundowner? I had been looking to step up in size.

One thing I will say is Hangar 9 did a great job on the building side of this plane. The kit was a delight to put together. Flying well not so good...

This is a tough loss I had a lot of time in that thing, oh yah and money.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
fiffer

Hey rfoto, What was your CG the 2nd time, I hear 3 is the magic number, I'm getting nervous with all these SNAPS. I love the plane it's beautiful. I hope it flies the same.
Sorry for your loss...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
rfoto
My Feedback: (8)

I split the difference to 3 1/8.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I don't want to make this a "shot" on anybodys skill level here because that is not what i am about to say. This plane seems to be a shocker for those who are not in the speed types. I have not read much on the positive side as to "oh what a wonderful plane this is but seems more like oh what a PITA"

Sticks, Stingers and Extras are not on the same table as it appears. Is anybody here having a good time with this thing?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
F1 Rocket

I don't want to make this a "shot" on anybodys skill level here because that is not what i am about to say. This plane seems to be a shocker for those who are not in the speed types. I have not read much on the positive side as to "oh what a wonderful plane this is but seems more like oh what a PITA"

Sticks, Stingers and Extras are not on the same table as it appears. Is anybody here having a good time with this thing?

Ours is flying great now that I have it dialed in. Fast low pass down the runway, pulling up into a big loop, then coming back down at warp speed This is what this airplane is all about. It will knife edge the length of the field so long as you keep the speed up. Point rolls are good too so long as you keep the speed up. Pylon turns, no problem, so long as you keep the speed up . Am I getting repetative here? The bottom line on this thing is there is a lot of fun in it but it is unforgiving if you do not respect what it's asking for.

Danny
Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Ahh, this is good eh?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Guys

I am getting ready to maiden my Sundowner and I am getting nervous hearing all these snap stories.

I have had over 200 flights with my Alley Cat it has never snapped as long as the speed is kept up.

Go to my clubs website and click were it says "On clique ici" to see a video of my Alley Cat.

Here is the link to our club www.amidair.qc.ca

Airnondas

Name:	Om33617.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	757298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12314.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	757299  
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
F1 Rocket

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

Hi Guys

I am getting ready to maiden my Sundowner and I am getting nervous hearing all these snap stories.

I have had over 200 flights with my Alley Cat it has never snapped as long as the speed is kept up.

Go to my clubs website and click were it says "On clique ici" to see a video of my Alley Cat.

Here is the link to our club www.amidair.qc.ca

Airnondas

Set the CG at 3" and low rate elevator for +- 5/16" throw at the tip and you should not have a problem. I run alot of expo as well but thats a personal taste thing.

BTW the Alley Cat is Cooooooooooooooooooooooool[8D]

Danny
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Danny for the info and by the way, how much expo do you use on the elevator? I figure I better play safe with a proven set-up than be sorry.

And about the Alley Cat, I have to put in a plug for Dubb Jett. He is the man who makes those great Jett engines, and that is what I have in the cat. This engine just keeps getting stronger and stronger all the time.

All I can say about his engines is, you get what you pay for.

Airnondas.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Overall, it looks to me like those of us who are use to flying in a speed type fashion are better off, than some who aren't. You'll probably be fine and wonder what the problem is here. My throttles are wide open most of the time from start to finish
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Cyclic Hardover

.oops
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 AM
bzyguy01

I've set my SD with recommended CG and throws.....I think I will move CG 1/8 forward as the SD will and has snapped in a WOT Full elevator turn. It has happened only a few times and I was high enough to recover with little effort....But I have been lucky I guess. I like speed and Mine needs more of it but even at 100 or so....she'll snap with factory spec CG. I also fly mine on low rates and have found that they are plenty. I do enjoy mine and I have done a number of dead stick landings with no problems as of yet. The only other suggestion I will make is ....OPEN up the wheel pants in front and rear of the tires so they can grow with the high speed takeoffs and landings. The wheel pants almost killed mine on takeoff once as it grabbed the tire and threw the nose to the ground!!! Luckilly it only broke the prop!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
F1 Rocket

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

Thanks Danny for the info and by the way, how much expo do you use on the elevator? I figure I better play safe with a proven set-up than be sorry.

And about the Alley Cat, I have to put in a plug for Dubb Jett. He is the man who makes those great Jett engines, and that is what I have in the cat. This engine just keeps getting stronger and stronger all the time.

All I can say about his engines is, you get what you pay for.

Airnondas.
I posted this earlier but here it is again. BTW the expo values are for JR. Futaba would be opposite.

I think 3" is the sweet spot for the CG. My elevator low rate throw (measured at the tip of the elevator) is 5/16" up and down w/+50% expo. High rate is 7/16" up and down w/+70% expo. I fly in low rate (elevator) at all times but switch to high rate on short (very short) final. I find this lets me hold the plane off a bit longer before it touchs down. One thing I have noticed is that it tends to climb a bit when I get it really fast. It's perfectly trimmed at all speeds short of warp. I may try a bit of down thrust and see if this improves things. The plane really is a lot of fun once you get used to it. For your first landings give yourself plenty of room so you don't need to pull hard when turning final. Then fly it on with some power. It doesn't like to three point. Good luck on yours.

Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.