Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 AM
rgoldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *New H9 Frenzy-100 ARF*

Dumb question but are you sure you got the correct ailerons on the correct side? I didn't have really any issues building the plane-I have plenty of issues flying it but I want to wait for Dr Honda to concur or deny what I have. On the fuel tank issue, since I went gas I could just use an 8OZ tank but I was really amazed/concerned that they wanted to put that big of tank that comes with it that far ahead of the CG. I wish more mfgs would design the tanks at the CG (electric people -keep your comments to yourself). As far as being jealous-unless you are turned on by a plane that is just OK at rolling or spinning, don't be.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 AM
unclecrash

Of course the ailerons are on the correct side. It would take a blind man to screw that up,at least I think it would. And the wing was checked to make sure it is centered. Not much you can really do if it wasn't being an arf. Unless you want to hack it all up. I guess maybe Im jealous because I don't have the cash to go out and dump into a whole setup at one time. The funny thing is the aileron that is ok is 1/8inch longer at the trailing edge. Both are set to the graphics which put them at the same gap at the outer tips.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
grandad1
My Feedback: (22)

Unclecrash I had the problem with the tank but i went ahead and cut the hole out A little biger and cut the bolts off.That let the tank go up far enought for the win and I still had enought bolt too hold the motor on.I am runnig A 125 Saito.I feel good about how I did mine hope this helps. Grandad12

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: grandad1

Unclecrash I had the problem with the tank but i went ahead and cut the hole out A little biger and cut the bolts off.That let the tank go up far enought for the win and I still had enought bolt too hold the motor on.I am runnig A 125 Saito.I feel good about how I did mine hope this helps. Grandad12

Joe
Thanks Grandad thats what I was looking for. Like I say been kit buiding for 25 plus years and had a few more hang ups on this supose to be arf. I still use the directions for building just to do it in steps but don't need them. I just wish the people who build them would state this stuff in the directions. I figured I would just slap it together beening its an arf and find myself having to do stuff twice because of inadiquite directions. I figured the issue was having to cut the hole bigger and shave the bolts. Just stupid little quarks like this that erritate me. When the makers of the kit could add a few more words to the manual and save people time and head aches. Boy I would hate to be a first time builder and have to face some of the issues. Well I guess Im going to have to rip it all apart.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
HoverLoW

Ok. after read all this thread, I need to ask.

This is a bad plane?????
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 PM
unclecrash

Grandad this is a first for me on putting a 4 stroke in. Everything went together good. The gentleman is using the same engine as you. Im wondering about a couple things. Obvisously a extension is needed for the highspeed neede which I made. Wondering how you put the cowl on over it. Did you use a long allen wrench through the front of the cowl after the cowl was installed? Also I had the exhaust on and I tightened the lock nut with a wrench through hole in the front of the cowl at the bottom. Is this how you are doing it? A bit worried I should put a dab of blue locktight on the locknut to keep it from coming loose. Ive done lots of 2 stroke but first for me with the 4 stroke stuff. So please inlighten me with details Thanks Dave

Edit: Oh the tank mod was quick tape over the carb went in through the wing saddle with dremel and cut just the one bolt thats in the way. And did the same using the dremel with sanding disc to enlarge the firewall hole a 5 minute job. I see one more issue wondering if your planes are like this. The wing has at leaast a 1/16 in. gap at the saddle from the front of it to about the balance point. Anybody else s like this. If so are you doing anything to correct it. I was thinking just a bit of foam tape to seal it up. Now if it were a kit the issue could be delt with properly before it was covered. Something the builders should take care of in the manufacturing. seeing as it is covered when you buy them. Heck I wonder if they even put the wing on for fit. I don't think so because this plane the wing would'nt even go in without filing the locating holes a bit.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM
rgoldy

I would love to answer Uncle Crash's question about the ailerons if I didn't now have a pair of wing halves and a lawn dart. It blew apart in the air. I was just starting to fly it a little hard and the wings folded. Autopsy is showing that only the front half of the "spar" (if you want to call it that, it's only about 4" long) was glued. Maybe this was just a Mon or Fri plane but I have to send the wing back to H9 and they will let me know. About the best I can say is it is an OK plane. It flat spins OK and it rolls OK, floats in for landings but doesn't knife edge well at all (that is one of the main reasons I got it because I wanted to practice them). It is very weakly built. If you were to grab a landing gear and shake it, it would break. IMHO, if that is all the plane can do, it should be more sturdy than what it is. If you want more performance and can handle a little faster landing, get an Extra (insert number here) and you will be better off.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
unclecrash

Sorry to hear the bad news. Thats sucks. It seems the quality control went out the window on this one. Even the little pilot figure sticks out the sides 1/4 in. on each side. The whole reason I guess this guy bought this plane was for more excitement [X(] It sounds like he might just get it. He was flying an P51 trainer and said he was getting very bored with it. I bet this one was built on Friday after a bar lunchen too.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:04 PM
HoverLoW

I am aborting the idea of purchase this plane...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
grandad1

Unclecrash my hi speed nidle stuck out enought that i didn't need an ext on it.My cowl slid right over it ok.My wing was A little tight but I wigle it back and fourth a little and it went in and it set on the sadle ok.I got about 1/32 gap infrount of the wing but no bigie.I didn't like the sound of RGOLDY wing coming apart.I went too the field today but it was too windy for me too put it in the air.I have only been flying for 4 years and not realy that good at maden in the wind.I flew my Bipe today and got disroanted and crash it,It was my fault and not the plane.On my muffler I cut the frount out A little bigger so I could get my wrench in there too titten the muffler and I use ( RED ) lock tight.hope this helps.I'v only been flying for 4 years but I been working with wood for 30 year.I remodle home and made kids toys at Christmas and I also work on Small motor such as Lawn mowers and weed eaters.I have built one plane from strach and flew it thill I put it in the ground.Hope this helps Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM
unclecrash

Unclecrash my hi speed nidle stuck out enought that i didn't need an ext on it.My cowl slid right over it ok.My wing was A little tight but I wigle it back and fourth a little and it went in and it set on the sadle ok.I got about 1/32 gap infrount of the wing but no bigie.I didn't like the sound of RGOLDY wing coming apart.I went too the field today but it was too windy for me too put it in the air.I have only been flying for 4 years and not realy that good at maden in the wind.I flew my Bipe today and got disroanted and crash it,It was my fault and not the plane.On my muffler I cut the frount out A little bigger so I could get my wrench in there too titten the muffler and I use ( RED ) lock tight.hope this helps.I'v only been flying for 4 years but I been working with wood for 30 year.I remodle home and made kids toys at Christmas and I also work on Small motor such as Lawn mowers and weed eaters.I have built one plane from strach and flew it thill I put it in the ground.Hope this helps Grandad1.

Joe
Got me puzzled now on the needle. This is a brand new saito 1.25 yours must have a different needle. I think on the wing saddle I will just put a bit of tape and call it good. I agree thats scary about the wing failure. Sorry to hear about you Bipe Ive been building on and off for about 25 years just joined a club this year for the first time really injoying having a decent landing area. My .60 size Superchipmunk flew for the first time this year and has been doing very well. It has been in the basement for 15 years built till this year. Did'nt have a decent place to take it off from. So I been flying smaller planes and electrics and a few cool EDF Jets that will make your knee's shake

About the battery you are using are you using a 4 cell or 5 for the extra power to servos. I see you are balancing at 5-5/8 I will be waiting to here how it did at that setting. Thanks Dave
Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: HoverLoW

If I had the money to put a big plane together right now it would be a Yak. The guys I know who have them love them they fly like there on rails. The gasser I like is the Eflight Yak I think you can get the plane and engine through Berrelli for around $795.00 But I can't budget it right now my one friend has 3 Yaks all in different stages of build and all different sizes. I wouldn't mind getting ahold of the seagull Yak good deal for around $190.00
Old 10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,

OK… it looks like rgoldy let the cat out of the bag about his wing… and I can say, my wing held together while putting it threw it’s paces. Also, the $10 eBay motor ran better than I could hope. For it’s size… it makes great power. And after getting to the field, filling up the tank, and priming the carb… it started on the first flip!!

Report:

The first flight was calm and without incident. I taxied the Frenzy out onto our grass filed, and let it idle for a while as I checked over all the servos and radio settings. I eased into the throttle for take off. The Frenzy went straight, and lifted off after about 25 to 30 ft. I climbed out at about 45 degrees, and continued into the wind for about 100yards. As I made my first turn, the model tracked correctly with only a small amount of rudder needed. When I made my level downwind pass, I pulled the throttle back to about ½ power. It flew slow and stable. As I continued the first flight, I ran it from anywhere from idle, to full power. But only flying it in a “Sport†fashion. (no hard maneuvers, just a big lazy loop, and a few low power roles) Since I’m use to flying heaver gas models, I set up for a landing about 100ft up, as I chopped the power, and made my final approach, I realized there was no way I was going to get it down from that height. This model will slow down to a crawl, and not drop very fast. So I came around again. This time I flew it like it was a 40 sized model. And a basically flew it to the ground, only flaring out as I got close. The landing was smooth, and predictable.

The Frenzy has no bad habits that I found on it’s first flight. The few stalls I did were flat, and straight. The first flight was enjoyable, and relaxing. (I guess most people don’t want to hear that in a 3D Model) Oh… and after Landing… I realized that I never even had to adjust the trim. I think the Frenzy was so predictable, I was just holding the sticks offset as needed. But on the second flight, I thought about it, and only needed a small amount of elevator trim to get it flying perfectly straight.

After looking over the Frenzy for signs of cracks in the wing, and making sure my gasser engine didn’t shake anything apart on the first flight, I fueled up, an took it up again.

The second flight (and following flights) were my normal kind of flying. It was a mix of sport acrobatics, and some light 3D. I can say without a doubt, it can handle all of it without any problems.

Now, before I get into my second flight report… I need to say… not everyone is looking for the same thing in a model. Also, You cant expect a $180 fun fly’er to perform like a 27% TOC ship, or a high end pattern ship. So, take my report with a grain of salt.

The second flight was also without incident. But, it was allot more fun. On takeoff, I simply mashed the throttle to full. The Frenzy showed little torque, and took almost no input to make it go straight. Once again, the model came off the ground in about 25ft, but this time I slowly pulled back on the elevator until the Frenzy was going vertical. The 19.8cc engine, with the 16x6 TopFlight power point was enough motor to pull it vertical out of sight. Also, it went straight without any input. As it started to get small, I kicked full left rudder, down elevator, and stuck it into a flat spin. Once in the spin, I could use the elevator to push the nose from a downward pitch, back up. At that point the falling rate of the spin slowed down. If I didn’t mess up, I could have probably got it to hover in a spin. As the spin broke, I ran threw the normal pattern. (Big loops, tight loops, split-s, Cuban 8, Edelman, ect.) The Frenzy performed the standard pattern acrobatics with grace. They were all smooth and predictable.

After a few touch-N-Go’s… I wanted to check out it’s hovering abilities. The throttle on this little engine is not very linier, so hovering it was not pretty. But, it was as easy to keep it straight as some of my little electric 3D’ers. With some practice, or a more responsive engine (Like the Saito 125) it would have been great. The novice 3D’er would have no problem making it hover with some stick time.

Now, to let Rgoldy know what he wanted. Yes it will knife edge. With the added thrust of my motor, and 2 Lbs less weight to pull around, it would do it. With some time, (or just getting a better pilot) it could probably knife edge loop. But as it was, I could knife edge the length of the field (well… at least a few 100 ft) without losing altitude.

To sum it up:

The Frenzy 100 is a very fun model. It will keep all but the full hard core people satisfied. It flys like it’s a mix of pattern ship, and a “Stickâ€. It will slow down to a crawl (literally around 25mph) and it will perform more complex maneuvers too. I don’t think it will do the “Hardcore†3D stuff (tumbling maneuvers) since the tail is so long, But not every plane can do everything. I think it’s an excellent 3rd or 4th model, or for someone who wants to learn to hover. Now, as long as my wing doesn’t fold… I will be happy with it for a while.

As a last thought… since this model seemed to like to fly slow… I would not prop it for speed. My low RPM engine with a 6 inch pitch prop would fly it around 50-55mph. So… If you want it to hover, and do some of the 3D stuff… prop it for low speed, and good static thrust. Since the airframe is built light to operate as an electric, speed with a high G maneuver, will probably break it. I will throw on a 15x8 next week to see what kind of speed I get, and to see how bad the hovering suffers.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
HoverLoW

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

ORIGINAL: HoverLoW

If I had the money to put a big plane together right now it would be a Yak. The guys I know who have them love them they fly like there on rails. The gasser I like is the Eflight Yak I think you can get the plane and engine through Berrelli for around $795.00 But I can't budget it right now my one friend has 3 Yaks all in different stages of build and all different sizes. I wouldn't mind getting ahold of the seagull Yak good deal for around $190.00

Oh yeah!! You can believe in a Yak. I have a Somenzine one. It's awsome!!!! It flies like no other plane!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
grandad1

Unclecrash I have A brain new 125 I just brought it 4 week ago.Did you invert the motor?And did you turn the carb around on the motor?This is how i set mine up is inverted and the carb turned around.I redrilled the hole in the firewall for the throtle and used the wire and sleve that came with the plane.Everything worked out fine for me.I remember you saying you haven't delt with 4 str,motors so you might not of know about turning the carb 1/2 way around.hope this helps grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM
grandad1

Dr Honda I am glad your maden went well i feel better now about maden mine.I hope it will be next weekend.I put A 15-6 air master prop on my Saito 125 I hope its not too fast for it.I am A little worrie about the wing but I too think that the lesser weight will proble help with the wing problem.The 23 gaser weight about 3 lbs I have 2 new Z 23 in the boxs i thought about useing but back out when i saw the plane and how light it was built.That was when I put my new Saito on it.Hope you keep haveing fun with it and good luck Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM
unclecrash

Grandad I new the carb could be turned 180 degree. I set it up like the manual with high speed on the exaust side. I see now how it will just make it out the side I was just lookin at it the carby is offset over to the one side. I like it the way the book has it. I only needed a small hole in the left side for the low speed adj.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
unclecrash

Heres a pic of how I did it. What I didn't relize at the time was the carb was offset so by turning it like you did it will extend out the side.
I also used the plastic tube on the throttle linkage but after reading the post I modified it. I enlarged the hole in the firewall and left it floating so no bind back about half way down the plastic tube I made a hard point that fixes the tube to the side of the fuse so the tube floats at both ends which makes for a flawless no bind setup. I also did like you said and opened up the front hole for easier acess to the exaust nut and for better cooling just enough to get the wrench on better with the cowl shifted to the exaust side. And opened up the bottom hole to let more air flow through.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98724.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	778452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56254.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	778453  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
grandad1

Unclecrash I put about 1/2 in hole for my low speed so I could see it better when I was looking in the hole.A small is is pertyer but when you put A screw driver in it,it gets hard too see in.Thought this might help Grandad1.

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
unclecrash

Im going to let the customer decide if he wants anything altered. He is paying me well. I had no trouble getting on the screw with the hole being small. Im just going to leave it all mocked up once he see's it will then finish off the assembly. That way if he wants something changed I wont have to deal with getting the exhaust off with the locktite on it. It is probably best with the red like you said with all the vibe of the 4 strokes.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
grandad1

That looks nice and clean your doing A good job.I have built planes for other people too and I like you take A little more care with there planes.I have 3 planes hanging up in my shop now that i have had for A year now trhat I built for A frend (?) that will now come and pick then up.I think I can say they are mine by now?Don't get me wrong I like mine too look good too but people just seem too take A little more time with other peoples.If I get my son overy next week I'll try too take some pictures and post them.Grandad1

Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
grandad1

Sorry I ment too say will not come and pick them up.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 PM
unclecrash

Sorry I ment too say will not come and pick them up.
Boy that would be nice if he didn't pick it up its all bought and payed for.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
unclecrash

heres a few more pics. First the enlarged hole in the front. Then cowl pushed to the side to acess the exaust nut. Bottom hole enlarged a bit. Then the throttle hard point I made so both ends float for no bind on the servo or linkage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20882.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	778460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34173.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	778461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22795.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	778462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99228.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	778463  
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 AM
grandad1

That looks good the way you did it.Mine is about the same way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.