Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick Edge: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick Edge: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dave Patrick Edge: To Buy or Not to Buy?

An acquaintance of mine has a new Dave Patrick Edge in the box he is thinking about selling, due to his losing interest in airabatic planes. I can get a good deal on it, but my question is whether there are better choices out there now, or has this design stood the test of time? If I do get it, what's the best option for a powerplant?
Thanks,
Texastbird
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick Edge: To Buy or Not to Buy?

DP makes outstanding birds i have run quite a few of his designs.... if the deal is good scoop it up.....
Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
J roc

The plane is very light for its size and is well built. It will balance just fine with a ys 140 or similar. If gas is used the battery pack will have to be far back. A good comprimise is a moki 1.8. People has used up to a 50cc gas. I believe the best is a ys or moki.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:46 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I have a DP Edge 540 I bought a few years back that was used with not much flight time on it. It had a gas engine in it and at the time I was still flying 60 size glow. So as time went on, I moved up to the 1.20 size and bought a Wild Hare Edge and have been flying the wings off of it for 2 1/2 years. This past winter I bought a WH 28% Gasser with servo's and Brison 3.2 engine. Im currently building the 28% and hope to have it in the air soon. The Dave Patrick Edge kinda missed the boat and like your friend I lost interest in it. I've heard a little negitive feed back over time about Dave Patrick being slow when ordering replacement parts, so that maybe part of the problem. So Im hopeing to sell my DR Edge this fall. So If you need a stand by plane for future use send me a PM, It never hurts to have replacemnt (crash) kit on hand for save keeping.
NEDYOB
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Texastbird

Thanks for the comments guys. I have an OS 1.60 looking for a home. Think it would do all right?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the kit over carefully as you will get zero support from David Patrick. He must have exited the RC business and maybe the hobby.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Texastbird

Ok, I got it today, looks really nice. Very lightweight compared with some other planes I have this size. I'm real tempted to try one of the DL50s on this thing!! Someone please talk me out of it...
Tim
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was never really a "question" on any of his planes. just his business practices havebeen nailed tothe wall here.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

Ok, I got it today, looks really nice. Very lightweight compared with some other planes I have this size. I'm real tempted to try one of the DL50s on this thing!! Someone please talk me out of it...
Tim

You might want to rethink the gas option. While Dave's planes are very well disigned and built, they are not intended for the heavy vibrations that a 50cc gasser would produce. Also if I remember correctly these planes were coming in at around 13 pounds with glow power, the extra weight would have a negative effect flight performance. The 160 is a good match for the plane and probably your best choice. Also, keep in mind that Dave is no longer in business so there are no spares available to repair damage.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

i concur. had one with a ZDZ 40. too heavy and not enough power for IMAC. you will never be able to get any replacment parts if you hurt it in a mishap. if its really cheap and you have a 1.60 or bigger glow, go for it, otherwise i wouldnt do it. too many other better and well supported planes to chose from. i sold mine by the way.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Texastbird

Yeah, I got it too cheap to pass up. I suppose I will go with the O.S. 1.60 I have, thanks for the good advise fellows. Light is good, right?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

I am flying a DP Edge 540 and have a DA 50 in it flying weight at 16 # and I love it. IMO the plane is over built and make a great gas plane. The firewall wood I found to be to soft (added to it) and I pinned the firewall to the box. If you look for a Post “Dave Patrick Edge 540 & DA 50” you will see pictures of what I did. I have about 60 flights and have only had to fix the rear wing pin, my fault from touching the wing tip on a landing. With a DA 50 IMO would be a good IMAC plane. If you are going to do low insane 3D get a different plane. As far as service I have had no issues but have not ordered anything in the last year. If I had to do it again I may try a YS 140/160/170???. I have a OS 160 and it is a great engine and it would be OK for a Sunday Flyer and you would have one of the coolest planes at the field. Mine had a Saito 150 then, installed a Supertiger 3000 then,...... DA 50. I did not like all the OIL from glow fuel on the rear servos. The more 3D you do the more oil hangs on the tail.

Get the plane and fly it with what you can afford to put into it, you can always stuff a bigger engine it. I would not recommend this Edge as a big gasser if this is your first big hot plane. The DP Edge has a great presence in the air, good luck.

Look at:
RC Airplanes >> Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic >> Dave Patrick Edge & DA-50
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Texastbird

Dad burn it 3d sky, just when I had talked myself out of gas, here you come messing with my mind![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I appreciate what you and hvac are saying and I have seen this plane fly with a gas engine and glow and it definitely flies "lighter" with the glow engine. I don't do a lot of 3d type stuff, I'll leave that to the younger guys with steel nerves, and I definitely do like a plane that flies on it wings and not on the prop. Unlimited vertical is fun, but not at the expense of flying an overweight hotrod that likes to snap out of manuevers. So I guess I will stay with the lighter glow on this one and look for a bit larger plane for a gasser. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Tim
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
3dsky

Not trying to mess with your mind.
I changed engines because the plane could be a great IMAC plane (flys better in high winds) and with the DA 50 I also have a smoke system for fun flys. I was trying to keep you from over powering it when you do not need insane power. I was aware of the weight before I added the DA. I have similar planes at 22 lbs and with less HP and love them. If you have seen the Edge fly with different engines you have your answer. I like to fly at Fun Flys and have flown it in 35 MPH winds with out a problem. I also had a chance to see this plane fly with a Moki 180 and it was great. The DA just makes this a differed handling plane. I just don’t like the standard answer of go bigger. DPM Edge is a real crowd pleaser.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
xracer1117

hey all, i have 5 flights on a dpe, and i love, i got it on a trade, im running a moki 210 with a 20x10 prop, hitec mg645 all around except thr. does everything very well except it wont pull out of a hover, other than that its the best flying plane i have ever flown. the roll rate for a plane this size is awsome!

xracer
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM
3dsky

Great xracer....great comb with the Moki. no pullout you can live with if it does everything well.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Texastbird

Well, another flying buddy of mine found out that I had bought the Edge and he came over and said he had to have the plane, so he swapped me a Big Bee for it. It was a beautiful plane, but my next Edge will be a 50cc size though.