Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
tyrick69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

Got my brand new Revolver stuck about 80 feet up in a tree last week on only the 4th flight. Was on final and thought I had cleared the tree line. Apparently I dropped down a little early. Cost me $80 bucks to have someone climb the tree and retrieve it. Tore up both wings pretty good and ripped the side out of the fuselage. I had been flying it without the cowl because I botched my first one up while cutting and the cowls have been backordered for months. Was going to rebuild but I just ordered another kit because they were in stock and I'm tired of waiting for the cowl. Hope to maiden Revolver #2 tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Chancho

Couldn’t wait for any better weather in Michigan so I dusted off the Revolver from the garage, since storing it last year, and took it out for a few laps today. This plane is such a handful and hard for my eyes in anything but perfect visibility.It was poking thru a low ceiling and I had to fight to keep her in check. Istocked up at the Toledo show with3 cases of %30 Wildcat for my Saito and should easily go thru this year on this plane alone.

On another note; I did see the Revolver’s big brother at the Toledo show and put a request in for a giant scale version.The Great Planes rep told me there was talk about it and we may see.I've never seen the 70 sizedRevolver up close, but it is tempting andmakes one wonder whatthe biggest sized engine he could stuff in there.But for now, this little one is the most wicked fun plane of any plane I’ve flow so far. I hope everyone is getting ready for a good year of with their Revolvers…

Questionoes anyone have a stock set of landing gear pieces, i.e., the two white halves they're willing to give me a deal on? It's hard to fork over the $14.50 to Tower and then the $5.00 shipping on top of that.

Thanks and happy flying...
Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Chancho - I have a pair of 70" Revolver gear that I dont' need - will send them to you $10 (shipping included). Pretty sure they're the same size as the gear on the 59". Just bought a second 70" Revolver - still in box - and will not be using the stock gear - instead I use Dubro's gear (see pics). Much stronger. If you have Paypal just send me your email address and I'll send you an invoice.

btw - what size Saito do you have on your 59" Revolver? Does it give you unlimited vertical?

btw - if you like your 59" Revolver you'll LOVE the 70". For only $205 at Tower it's a REAL bargain. (of course, I can understand saving up for this eventual giant Revolver, too...)

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80537.gif
Views:	41
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1420651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96822.gif
Views:	38
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1420652  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Chancho

Thanks Micron...

However, I think I'm going to hold out for an original set.The gear looks the same but looking at GP website and Tower, the holes are a bit different and I don’t want to modify the mount…I appreciate your offer, that is a great price for a set of gear. If I had a 70” size, I’d take them off you right away…
I’ve got the Saito 115, spinning an APC 13x11 on the 59” Revolver.I believe that the extra weight of this engine on this airframe increases the wing loading and further exaggerates the tip stall characteristics of the airframe.Some people say they have never experience a tip stall in this plane. And as I’ve followed this thread I hear how people think they may have gotten hit or sometimes the plane takes on a mind of its own.I’m pretty sure they had too low of speed on the plane and when a tip snaps over it can be violent and very hard to recover from… It’s too easy to want to trust the plane and instinct tells one to bring it in slowly…But I’ve been bit a few times and lost a bird with a bad one.Most of the time I’ve been able to recover, but my judgment of speed on this plane is horrible.“This plane looks the same in the air going 100mph as it does 25mph.(Wouldn't it be sweet to have anairspeed telemetry feedback system with a stall warning alarm!)Now-a-days I tend to keep the sticks hot on this plane most all of the time.And with the 13x11, even at the slowest idle the plane wants to leap forward at a good pace…Honestly, this plane scares me and though I’ve learned to respect it I’ve never had the confidence prior to a bad crash more than a year or so ago, now. But I still love to fly it and hopefully one day I can be as confident in the saddle as I once was with it.For now it’s just NASCAR flying, more gas, turn left, more gas, turn left…

Name:	Ig11027.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	1420870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94277.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	1420871  
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
microdon2

Chancho - no problem. Actually just checked on Tower Hobbies and there is a slight size difference between the 59" and 70" gear. And thanks for the update on your 59" with the Saito 115. Sounds like a LOT of power for that plane - no wonder it's fast. I'm running it with an OS 61 2S and it's fast - though I may upgrade to an OS 91 4S. But I love the plane as it is, so am leary of changing it. I also just bought my 2nd Rev 70 - have an OS 91 2S in my current (flies great) and will be installing a YS 120 4S in the new one. Hoping for vertical.

btw - about two weeks ago a totaled my other Rev 59. Was doing reverse Cuban 8's and think I stalled it. Went straight down from 60' - couldn't pull out. Plane exploded on impact. (see pics on my 4/3 post, above). So as much as I love this plane I'd have to agree - it's finicky. But isn't that part of the excitement, too?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Chancho

Micron,

Hey, nothing wrong with an OS 61 on this plane...That sounds like a pretty good match...

In regards to gear, I ended up ordering a pair of original gear from the local Hobby and picked them up yesterday.(Again, I appreciate the offer...) I spent this morning installing the gear and going through the airframe. Even though it's one tough bird, it still gets hangar rash. I changed receivers from my Futaba 6ex to the new Aurora so that took a while today, too. I'm going to try a throttle curve because with the 4-stroke linkage it's hard to get a smooth transition and I usually fly this plane at 2 speeds, landing and full speed.

Sorry about the death of your other Revolver. Those were great pics, though. I emailed them to 3 other Revolver owners at our club. It was pretty dramatic with the pilot head lying in the mud. :-) The one buddy has a 55 Webra, the other a OS 55 and then a Jet .60, all piped. They're all fast. A few of us were out Friday, chasing each other around. It wasn't long ago late last year when Icut the bottom of the one guys rudder off, (He should have gotten out of the way.)He was able to land without any rudder control... The same guyjust lost a Tiger last week to a mid air giving chase, too. "Talk about luck."

Anyhow. I've got to imagine that if you put a YS 120 on the 70" it'll be a powerhouse to be reckoned with. I was dreaming at one point to put a YS 115 or even a YS 110 on this smaller Revolver, but that is cost prohibitive at the moment and onto other planes.

No sweat on the crash, a lot of us are on our second or third iteration... I know the 70 size would be a lot of fun, but I'll with other projects and a 7 month old, I need to hold back a bit. 'Totally jealous of you 70"Revolver owners, though...
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM
cavandish

I'm on my third revolver.
first was a piped 50 sx
second two have been powered by a Jett 90 lx
I have quite a spread of planes including two turbines, but still find the revolver a challenge to land well.
I think that it is a better plane with a light, powerfull engine, the webra sounds good, and the jett 50 would be a great match, I doubt there would be much speed difference between a hot 50 and hot 90, other than prehaps the vertical. vertical with the jet 90 is ballistic.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
microdon2

Cavandish - Are all three of your Revolvers 59"-ers? Also, I just looked up the Jett engines you spoke of - they look pretty expensive ($450). Are the worth the extra money? Can you post some pics?

Mike
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
cavandish

all 59"
all pics of the Jett90 install are on this thread.

price mmmmm you are right, but you get what pay for, it is the most powerfull short piped 90s you can buy, it is also hand built to a very high standard. You can stick a pipe on a os 90, spend 25 hours setting it up, and it will go well-but not for long !
Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 AM
turok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8vaMNcMshg

Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
lilpropslinger

hey i have read just about every page on this post, i was just wondering what yall thought, i just traded a 91 saito for the 46 size revolver loaded with futaba servos and a 46 fx os 2 stroke with bisson pitts. all i have to do is ad my rx and battery. what do yall think, did i make a good deal or was it a mess up?
Daniel
Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
lilpropslinger

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
microdon2

LilProp - 59" Revolver - $180, 46 2S - $140, 5 standard servos - $150, = $470. Just need a used receiver ($35) and battery ($25). Not sure how much that Saito 91 is worth, but sounds like a good deal, specially you're happy. (I would be... great plane!)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
microdon2

Oh, and the Bison Pitts is another $50 = $520 = a GREAT deal!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
lilpropslinger

thanks microdon2. i have the futaba rx and a futaba batt. i havent taken her up yet. i will probaly tomorrow tho. yea i jummped on that deal asoon as i heard about it. but yea it is a sleek plane. i hope it flys good. i wanted the 60 revolver but i couldnt pass this up. thanks for the shout out. makes me feel better about the deal.. i will post pics tonight on my page
daniel
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
microdon2

No problem, lilprop. And, dont' worry - if you like the 59" Revolver (and you will) - you'll probably end up with a 70" Revolver, too. I'll be flying my Rev 70 in 7 hours, before work. (8mph NW wind - NICE). Have fun with your 59" - but don't let it slow too much on landing - easy to tip stall, till you get the hang of it. And let it build up plenty of speed on the ground on takeoff before SLOWLY pulling up - I almost stalled mine on takeoff a few times when I first got it. Have fun!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
lilpropslinger

yea i told my wife that when i got the 70, then she could have the 46. lol she really wants it already. do you think that the motor on the plane,46 os fx, will be enough for it? sorry for all the questions, but i am really excited about this plane and dont want to loose it like i did my extra 330... but thanks for the update on take off and landing.
daniel
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lilprop;

Welcome to the family of 59" Revolver owner and flyer's. You will just love this plane. I have the 59" and 2 70" Revolver and I love them. Checkout the Large Revolver thread on this forum and you will learn more about it. This plane is a joy to fly and you will be happy you did the deal. One thing microdon2 forgot to tell you about this plane, you will find you will fly this baby more than any other one you have in your hangar!!! Let us know how your first flight goes!!! Have a great weekend!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM
lilpropslinger

Thanks alot Jett22b, im getting it ready now to fly. im just setting up my low and high rates then taking her to my club field to maidan. im just alittle worried about the engine, is it going to be enough?
daniel
Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
microdon2

lilprop - my friend runs an OS 55 2S in his, and I put a used OS .61 2S in mine. It'll move with a .46, but you may want to upgrade in time. btw - I get all my engines used on RC Universe - these OS's dont' really go bad, and you get them at 1/2 - 1/3 original price.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a OS 55AX 2S in my 59" Revolver!!! Run 30% helimix fuel and she is a beast!!!! The OS 55AX or higher will wake this plane up!!!
Have fun!!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
lilpropslinger

Here are the pics of the revolverr that i picked up.. it has only had one flight on it so it is still gorgous

Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
lippucci

Must be stealth. Cannot see it. Nice!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM
lilpropslinger

oopps didnt download

Name:	Hf97893.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1433104  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
microdon2

Either that plane is huge, or your have an RC jacuzzi.

Plane looks beautiful, btw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.