Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
cavandish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

oh dear, a great thread -whats happening ? yep, who cares

I tried my gps in the rev yesterday, unfortunatly the vibrations shut it down, there is just not enough room to foam pack & get near the c of g, any one got a spare canopy I could chop up ?

Regarding this plane & landing issues
After more stick time I really believe it is down to pilot skill, I am not bagging anyone, I had the bounce issues big time, but my total flight time is 150 hours on 6 or so planes (trainer up) over the last 12 months(so I am still a relative novice). I recon I can grease it everytime now,flaps or no flaps. V good pilots have had a go with my rev, and they grease it, every single time ! If you come in too slow with the rev, it is much more likley to bounce, maybe beacause the nose is already pointing up slightly more on touch down, making a flair up inevatable ? (I fink you spell it like that). Fly her in quick, hold the tail up as you touch, it will 'stick' every time.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Wingwrecker

Anyone here been flying the Rvolver on G4?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 PM
autoguns

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

Here are some pictures of the Revolver I'm building using an OS .55AX and the stock muffler. The stock muffler requires some creative cutting. I used a Pitts style muffler on another .55AX and kept having trouble with the stingers developing cracks and even breaking off. If you remove the baffle, the stock P-Box muffler produces more power anyway.

I've been out of flying for some time ...But I really like the look of that plane...JW
Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: Wingwrecker

apparently the Revolver on the great planes simulator is only an electric version and not very quick.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: freeair

apparently the Revolver on the great planes simulator is only an electric version and not very quick.
Actually you can change the motor and batteries in it, and I have it doing 115mph in level flight on G4. I forget what I have it set with but I'll take a look this weekend and post it for the G4 users, I have a Rev sitting behind me waiting for a maiden, but I just got back into flying for the season and my thumbs are rusty, so I''l try it in a few weeks. Come to think of it I may set the sim to work with my JR9303 and try out the spoilerons for fun.

Dauntae
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

Actually you can change the motor and batteries in it, and I have it doing 115mph in level flight on G4. I forget what I have it set with but I'll take a look this weekend and post it for the G4 users, I have a Rev sitting behind me waiting for a maiden, but I just got back into flying for the season and my thumbs are rusty, so I''l try it in a few weeks. Come to think of it I may set the sim to work with my JR9303 and try out the spoilerons for fun.

Dauntae
There's actually very little that can't be changed when it comes to planes on G4! It's pretty cool. I just got the sim a week ago so I'm still a little geeked, sorry.
I have mine (the sim) running an OS 61 w/ a stock muffler, the OS 41fxi sound profile and a 13x8 MAS prop at about 98 to 102 mph level in 8mph winds. It'll climb to over 2000 ft and then dive to over 140mph. That combo sounds exactly like my 55ax with the pitts!
Fun stuff.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
freeair

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

Here is a detail of the cowl cut-out for those who would rather use the stock muffler instead of a pitts muffler. This is an OS .55 AX. You must use a 1/2 inch muffler extension to get it to clear the cowl.
just looking at this very neat cut out job, how do you get the cowl either off or on with the muffler fitted to the engine?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Muffler is fitted after the cowl is put on.... see the last picture from the top, he has two holes in the cowl for the allen key to tighten the muffler on.

Nice job

CFN, Paul
Old 06-08-2008, 01:39 AM
freeair

i am 50 / 50 at the moment with exhaust choice, either the stock muffler with the 1/2 inch spacer or a slimline alloy pitts type.
what do you guys reacon ?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 AM
beaver180

Go a pitts I think, I'm using this one.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX8680&P=ML
or you could use this one ( it looks a bit narrower in it's girth?? ) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTEB7&P=ML though it is a bit more expensive.

Twin pipes hanging down looks way better
Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 AM
freeair

the Q series looks good but will it clear the engine mounts ?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 AM
beaver180

Plenty of clearance between mine digga, can't see why there wouldn't be as much also with the Q

Chow for now, Paul
Old 06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Dauntae

The fit nice over the engine mount but is larger than it appears, Had to cut a large hole in the cowl on mine but doesn't look too bad, I'll get the camera out and try to get a pic for you. OK I got a quick one of the Q muffler on the 55AX

Dauntae
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51618.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	966434  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Wingwrecker

i am 50 / 50 at the moment with exhaust choice, either the stock muffler with the 1/2 inch spacer or a slimline alloy pitts type.
I got the Bisson Pitts for my 55AX and it hasn't run the same since. Lot's of up-check bogging and low rpms. Today I crimped one of the stingers and it seemed to help a bit but I'm still not happy with the performance compared to the stock muffler.

I just received my [link=http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp#adap_40]Macs Muffler[/link] ($35 from Tower) and new cowl. I still need to get an extension but I'm hoping to test it out sometime this week. It should look pretty nice coming out of the cowl and hopefully it will wake up my 55ax a little bit!

On a side note, has anyone here had the issue of the cowl being too small and the paint/pin stripes being way off of alignment? This is my second cowl and both are way off, fit and trim-wise. I'm starting to wonder if it's my fuse. (By too small, I mean NO WAY the first one would fit without cutting it all the way back and then wrapping it around the lip on the fuse.)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Dauntae

Had to cut mine too, The stripes did line up but no way would it fit on before cutting, I read that the Bisson and standard Slimline pitts actually choked the 55AX being too small of volume then Slimline came out with the Q with a much higher volume for the 55AX if you think about it the standard pitts is made for the 46 engines and the 55AX is almost a 60 with the 46 bolt pattern so it's not a surprise the standard pitts don't work well with it.

Dauntae
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

Had to cut mine too, The stripes did line up but no way would it fit on before cutting.
Dauntae
Good to know I'm not the only one. Still peevs me about the stripes though. They're a good 1/4" too high on both sides. Looks like crap.

Hopefully the Macs muffler will improve things. I will report my findings when I get them.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
cavandish

I got the Bisson Pitts for my 55AX and it hasn't run the same since. Lot's of up-check bogging and low rpms. Today I crimped one of the stingers and it seemed to help a bit but I'm still not happy with the performance compared to the stock muffler.

I just received my [link=http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp#adap_40]Macs Muffler[/link] ($35 from Tower) and new cowl. I still need to get an extension but I'm hoping to test it out sometime this week. It should look pretty nice coming out of the cowl and hopefully it will wake up my 55ax a little bit!

On a side note, has anyone here had the issue of the cowl being too small and the paint/pin stripes being way off of alignment? This is my second cowl and both are way off, fit and trim-wise. I'm starting to wonder if it's my fuse. (By too small, I mean NO WAY the first one would fit without cutting it all the way back and then wrapping it around the lip on the fuse.)

so have you bought a muffler or a tuned pipe-sounds too cheap to be the latter
Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

For you guys just building this plane or just buying it, do yourself a favor and replace the stock landing gear with the dubro. Geezzz, I had a three great landings on mine and on the forth,,snap it went. This is the obvious weak point of this plane. Very fustraiting to say the least. How can such a great flying plane have such terrible landing gear. My landings were perfect too. It's currently on the bench getting some new gear under it,,,

Good luck,,
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50 PM
mike boxtall

I have a few flights on my Revolver. I only had one mishap with the landing gear. Came in nice and slow, landed in a little rut and the gear tore out. I was kind of expecting that from all the posts about guys complaining about the gear. Stripped it down and rebuilt it to what I found acceptable and I have not had a problem with it since and yes I reinstalled the factory gear. Problem is now though that if it does come off again, the entire underside of the plane will come with it.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

For you guys just building this plane or just buying it, do yourself a favor and replace the stock landing gear with the dubro. Geezzz, I had a three great landings on mine and on the forth,,snap it went. This is the obvious weak point of this plane. Very fustraiting to say the least. How can such a great flying plane have such terrible landing gear. My landings were perfect too. It's currently on the bench getting some new gear under it,,,

Good luck,,
what really is the difference in changing the stock landing gear with an aftermarket Dubro type ? i know the stock comes in 2 halves but what happens when you add a full strip of aluminium to form a single piece gear [ 4 bolts ] the Dubro L/G only has give up and down and not rearward so any harder than average landing i am sure this gear will pull out the mounting plywood.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
cavandish

I have about 50 flights on the factory gear, I re-enforced the underside with a 7 x1 stip of alloy bent to the same shape as the gear with a large pop rivet through both legs (halfway down) & the mounting screws going through the top part, it has lasted really well ( so well that the dubro I puchased is still waiting patiently to be used)standard legs were good for about 10 flights before de-laminating. If I was going to purchase replacment gear again, I would choose some of the real cool ones from the graphtech range (do a search on google)
Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 AM
freeair

CAV, would you have a pic of this undergarriage mod ?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

Good luck,,
what really is the difference in changing the stock landing gear with an aftermarket Dubro type ? i know the stock comes in 2 halves but what happens when you add a full strip of aluminium to form a single piece gear [ 4 bolts ] the Dubro L/G only has give up and down and not rearward so any harder than average landing i am sure this gear will pull out the mounting plywood.

i recon the dubro gear gives better Horozontally than the stock alloy, unless the screws are loose ! go carbon gives even better.

if it has not fallen out already cut the plate out & replace with a solid block, from memory I think about 4x1x2. totally Fill the hole the plate opens up with this block, expoxy all 4 sides & she will never come out, (fix gear to the block with s tappers or woodscrews, lining the holes first with CA-LETS PUT IT THIS WAY, IF IT COMES OUT, YOU REALLY ARE IN DA SH*T
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 AM
cavandish

CAV, would you have a pic of this undergarriage mod ?

I'll post tommorow
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 AM
beaver180

I have not had the stock gear on but can say Cav's gear with his ali strap mod has held up very well. The Dubro I fitted from day one.. I mounted them by slotting the front holes so that they use the stock blind nuts. Once I had them in I aligned the gear square and then drilled the rear holes. Then I added a hard balsa block ( epoxied all sides and onto the bulkhead ) then re drilled through and put new blind nuts there too. See the picture below...

I have hashed up many a landing and not had any trouble with the Dubro gear, I reckon the ground handling with the wider stance is also improved. The only thing with them is, because the wheels are further forward than stock, it may accentuate the bounce tendancies on landing?? Spoilers and landing experience stops this. Definately the more landings you do the better you'll get at greasing it in. Using Spoilers on touchdown helped me personally heaps no end and has given me the further confidence to land without deploying them.

I have also added a $2 Great Planes 1/4 scale Yak 54 tail wheel set up like someone earlier in the thread suggested. I did this for three reasons... one, to lift the tail up ( off the ground ) which I thought would lessen the angle of attack on landing reducing the chance of boinging back in the air, and secondly to add some softer "give" to the otherwise ridged stock tail wheel. Lastly if I snagged the tail wheel it wouldn't rip the rudder out ( though chances are very low ) See them pictures too.

Also notice the for those interested.. the Bisson Pitts muffler, and how I cut a bit too far back on my cowl ( aids cooling )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55952.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	967015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75332.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	967016  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.