Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Wing-Ding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

Rowdog,

Do you have any problems with the Saito being mounted inverted? I was having some problems with flooding and hydro-locking on my Saito .72 until I put a Cline regulator on mine. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope none at all. When gasing it does fill the carb up, so it do not prime it at all. I just put the starter on it and it starts on the first bump of the starter.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Chancho

Rowdog,

If you want to try it, take the silencer off for a 300 RPMboost. It's like going for %20 to %30 nitro and on the 4-stroke and pitch we're running, that's a significant gain. I've had the 100 and 125 on and now itsthe Saito 115 that's found a home on the Revolver. If you really want to get crazy, put an APC 13x11 on it.. It'll be hard to slow down on landing and you may have to idle a bit higher,but it'll be a whole different experience than the 14x8 - you'll have unlimited vertical, too.

I had to cut a leg off of the motor mount, as you did, but I was able to drill a hole into the nub and put a new blind nut. At first Iwas using support brackets, but now it's just the modified stock motor mount.I like to take the Revolver out for a few flights and then I have to mix the day up with a Piper Cub or something similar to get the nerves to settle. I only fly the Revolver when the visibility is good, too. It's amazing the speed and distance this thing goes in a very short amount of time.

What an awesome plane...Nice job!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18899.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1311863  
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Nope none at all. When gasing it does fill the carb up, so it do not prime it at all. I just put the starter on it and it starts on the first bump of the starter.
rowdof_14

Are you using a onboard glow system???

Sonny
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
rowdog_14

No, no on board glow system.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM
jet22b

rowdog_14,

Thanks for the info!!
Here is my baby with big brother!!!

Sonny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72741.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1311984  
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM
mike boxtall

What motor did you use in the 60 size Revolver? I am wanting to get one also but am not quite sure which motor. Most planes with a 70" wing span call for a 160 two stroke or a 180 four stroke. Seeing them side by side there doesn't seem to be that much of a size difference.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM
rowdog_14

Yeah, i see. They look good. You did a good job at keeping them clean and nice. Let us know how the bigger one flies. LOOKING GOOOOD.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: mike boxtall

What motor did you use in the 60 size Revolver? I am wanting to get one also but am not quite sure which motor. Most planes with a 70'' wing span call for a 160 two stroke or a 180 four stroke. Seeing them side by side there doesn't seem to be that much of a size difference.
Mike,
In the big revolver I have a OS 91-II 4 stroke on board. The one that they have in the vid on their website has the OS 91-II 4 stroke. I have post more pictures on the bigger revolver in the thread mark Large Revolver on this forum. I will post a report on how she fly when we get some good weather here in Washington State for this weekend. It will be post in the Large Revolver thread.

Sonny
Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
russm

agree w/ mike ,not much dif in size, at leasr looking at the pics.the color combo looks booring as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Wing-Ding

Of course the larger plane is in the background. If it were in the front, it might look quite a bit larger.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
mike early

let's see the bottom of the new plane.

Does the landing gear support look any better than junior's?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 AM
russm

THAT IS THE BIG ?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: russm

THAT IS THE BIG ?
From what I can see inside the fuse, the landing gear block is notch into the firewall and a thick plywood block that is under the tank floor, with triangles stock across the back of the firewall and across the thick plywood block. The only thing on the side of the gear block are stringers that run the length of the fuse. So what I did was the same mod people did on the little revolver. I post pictures on the large revolver thread of my mod. One thing I would like to get my hand on are plans for both plane so I can see what wood in use in the build of the landing gear area. As a old kit builder, I always like to beefup the wing joint,landing gear, and firewall area just for my peace of mind!!
Just my two cents!!

Sonny
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Guardbum115
My Feedback: (12)

Howdy all,

Finally got my revolver in the mail yesterday so now the process begins. Anyone running a smoke system in theirs? Though about going with a mid size saito with a smoke system in it at some point. I've got a saito 100 in my 60 size p-47 and love it. Thoughts on this???

Super Dave
Old 11-20-2009, 02:37 PM
jet22b

Super Dave;

I think the revolver will be a blast with a smoke system!!! If you go that way, please post pictures of your smoke system setup!! We all love this plane and when you fly yours, you will see why!!! Good luck on the build and if you need help, there is alot of good info on this thread, but if you need help or question answer, just post!!!
Welcome to the Revolver family!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
tyrick69

Hey Guys,
I had a slight hiccup with my Revolver build and am looking for a little advice. I mounted my elevator horns perpendicular to the elevator hinge line and now, the elevator control rods meet the horns at a slight angle. I am hesitant to remount the elevator horns for fear that it my weaken the mount point (the horns are already held on with only 2 screws and I fear that moving them slightly, and remounting with the mount holes so close together would weaken the mount point causing the elevator horn to be torn from the elevator.) I'm wondering if it's ok to put a slight bend in the control rod right before the elevator horns to bring the rod outward slightly, and then straight back to the control horn, giving me a better angle, or is my best bet to remove the control horns, patch the holes, and then remount the horns at a slight angle.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 AM
mike early

Don't you have the backing plate on the elevator horns?

Just bend the last inch of the pushrods to accommodate
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 AM
tyrick69

ORIGINAL: mike early

Don't you have the backing plate on the elevator horns?

Just bend the last inch of the pushrods to accommodate
No, the instructions say not to drill all the way through the elevator and the mounting screws are not long enough to go all the way through. As far as I know from reading this forum, the Revolver doesn't use the backing plate (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm mistaken on this). Regarding placing a bend in the pushrods, I read somewhere else that putting a bend in your control rods will cause them to flex. This seems like the most logical solution to me but I just wanted to get some feedback from more experienced builders before I attempted a fix. Although I've been flying electrics for 2 years, this is my first "real" ARF build so please excuse the ignorance.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

I'm wondering if it's ok to put a slight bend in the control rod right before the elevator horns to bring the rod outward slightly, and then straight back to the control horn, giving me a better angle
Yup..that will work fine...Very little elev. throw anyway...this AIN'T a "3D Bird"...IMHO...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
tyrick69

ORIGINAL: tande

I'm wondering if it's ok to put a slight bend in the control rod right before the elevator horns to bring the rod outward slightly, and then straight back to the control horn, giving me a better angle
Yup..that will work fine...Very little elev. throw anyway...this AIN'T a ''3D Bird''...IMHO...
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Rick
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike boxtall

What motor did you use in the 60 size Revolver? I am wanting to get one also but am not quite sure which motor. Most planes with a 70'' wing span call for a 160 two stroke or a 180 four stroke. Seeing them side by side there doesn't seem to be that much of a size difference.
A 1.60 2-stroke would be quite a bit of engine for most 70" airplanes unless they were extremely heavy.

The 70" Revolver will fly fine on a .60 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke. For alittle more performance something like a .75 -.91 2S or 1.10-1.20 4S will do the trick. I'm running the OS 1.10FSa in mine and it is just about perfect. Vertical performance is outstanding.

I was looking at mine last night and thinking how cool it would be to put a twin in it; the cowl jshape ust seems to be perfect for one. Maybe the old OS FT-120 4-stroke twin or the FT-160 that replaced it. Unfortunately those engines are a good 10-12 ounces heavier than a single cylinder engine. It would require some creative battery placement and possibly even a little added weight. Sure would be cool though.

The 70" is quite abit larger than the smaller version even though it may not appear that way in some pictures. It also flys a little smoother due to the increased size and weight. It also slows down much better in my opinion and is nicer to land (for me anyhow).
Old 12-18-2009, 02:34 PM
albsurfer

Are you guys talkiing about FLAPERONS, because this planes does not have SPOILERONS. Allen
Old 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: albsurfer

Are you guys talkiing about FLAPERONS, because this planes does not have SPOILERONS. Allen
Allen;

They are Flaperons, but, they go up not down. You want to kill the lift on the wings. If you every set over the wings on a Airliner and watch as the pilot apply spoiler, you can feel the plane set on the ground. This is the same thing that happen here. For me, I have yet to use this setup. This plane make you fly it all the way to landing. What I did to find the landing speed, was to fly high and pull the power off and see how slow you can get the plane before a stall or wing drop. Yes this plane is fast, but you have to learn how to slow it down. I hope this answer your question!!! Someone else will come with a better answer soon!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
albsurfer

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Yes, it answers my question. I have flown on quite a few airliners and have seen real spoilerons work, hence, my request for clarification here. I didn't think about using the ailerons in the up position. It would have been beneficial on one of my earlier planes that was a 40 size, almost 60 size, and floated forever when landing. My buddy and I have been looking at the 60 size Revolver and I had told him that the 46 size version floats down the runway forever, especially if there is a good wind. I was wondering how you would stop this bigger brother from doing the same. Question answered on that one, too. Thanks.

Allen
aka
albsurfer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.