Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Sukhoi SU-31

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Sukhoi SU-31

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
GO24GO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Sukhoi SU-31

Hello, here are some pics of my OS 1.60 FX install with a Perry pump. I've never installed a pump before and wonder if someone could take a look at this and tell me what you think. My major question is whether or not it is ok to have the fuel lines kind of loop around. This was the only way I could come up with to attach everything and NOT end up with a kink here or there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I tapped the engine for the pump via the upper left screw hole in the back of the case. Thx for any constructive input. [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80190.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	901477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80929.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	901478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23748.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	901479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29092.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	901480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb20587.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	901481  
Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Jay Hayes

I just finished assembling my GP SU 31. I used the fuji 43 they recommended and the carb is ungodly close to the cowl. At one point it even touches. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: GO24GO

Hello, here are some pics of my OS 1.60 FX install with a Perry pump. I've never installed a pump before and wonder if someone could take a look at this and tell me what you think. My major question is whether or not it is ok to have the fuel lines kind of loop around. This was the only way I could come up with to attach everything and NOT end up with a kink here or there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I tapped the engine for the pump via the upper left screw hole in the back of the case. Thx for any constructive input. [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but do you have a fuel line hooked to the muffler ? Why ? If you do it's not needed with the pump.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
GO24GO

Hi Don,

Yes. From the fuel tank I have 3 lines. The 'fill' line is hanging freely and not attached to anything. The 'other' fuel line is attached to the pump (and from the pump to the needle valve) and then the 'vent' line is attached to the muffler. The Perry pump instructions only discussed tapping the case. It didn't address the vent line - either way. Is it bad that I have it that way or is it just not needed. First glow with a pump, so I am self-confessed clueless...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
kranie

Yes the BGX fit totally inside the cowel. I didn't put servos in the tail- nor did I gang them as shown in the manual. I used one Hi Tech 985MG under the cockpit using a pull-pull. It works great and balanced with no additional weight. A pro Zinger 20X8 works perfectly. sorry I didn't respond sooner.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: GO24GO

Hi Don,

Yes. From the fuel tank I have 3 lines. The 'fill' line is hanging freely and not attached to anything. The 'other' fuel line is attached to the pump (and from the pump to the needle valve) and then the 'vent' line is attached to the muffler. The Perry pump instructions only discussed tapping the case. It didn't address the vent line - either way. Is it bad that I have it that way or is it just not needed. First glow with a pump, so I am self-confessed clueless...

You do not want a pressure line from the muffler to the tank. The pump is all you need to get the fuel to the engine. Is it "bad" ? I don't know. I had 2 perry pumps and never used a pressure line, I was also advsed not to use it. I suspect it would put undue pressure on the pump so that it wouldn't work properly. Take it off. Where did you tap the engine for the pump ?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 AM
GO24GO

I tapped the case by drilling all the way through the upper left back case plate mounting screw hole. Then, I found there was valve stem I could buy that would thread into that hole. It is an O.S. Pressure Fitting and it worked out perfectly. I called Perry and they said the same thing you did: Don't attach the vent line to the muffler. BUT, they said I should still have a vent line out of the tank and that I should just leave it hanging in the cowl. So, that's what I did. As soon as my prop shows up (had to order), I'm going to start the ground run/break-in. Here's the link to where I learned about the pressure fitting.... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6339477
You have to scroll down toward the bottom of the page.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Don M.

Sounds like your on the right track. Don't go turning the reg. screw on the pump, tune the engine first to operate with the pump. If all else fails THEN turn the reg. screw. I had two of these pumps one on an OS 1.08 and the other on an OS 1.60 like yours. Both worked flawless for 100's of flights and I never touched the reg. screw on the pump. Maybe I was lucky
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM
GO24GO

Ok, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. Do you favor any particular fuel over another given the engine/pump combo? Sounds like you had a lot of great flights (doubt it was luck). I'm pretty excited to see how this goes.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Don M.

I've given up on the 2 - stroke glow and fly only 4 - strokes, gas and am just getting into electrics. My fuel of choice is Cool Power 20 / 20 but you can get by with 10 or 15% in the OS. Whether you use straight synth. or some Castor the choice is yours. I have my preference but won't get into it here because it turns into a p _ _ _ ing match I personally would not use anything less than 18% oil but the pump really makes no difference in the fuel you use.

I was all set to buy one of these Sukhoi's and put the OS 200 in it but came acrossed something else I have been looking for for a long time so jumped on it. I still like this Sukhoi so maybe next time.

P.S. I trust you cleaned the shavings out of the motor after you drilled out for the pressure tap

Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
GO24GO

ok thx. Yes, I was careful about the shavings. I think I got them. I actually held the engine up in the air and drilled the tap so that most of the shavings remained in the hole or fell back out through it. A few did get into the case and I got those. I was pretty satisfied with it when I sealed it back up. I've read these things can ingest some small particles anyway, but I wasn't going to try that out. I saw a guy at our field earlier this week (nicer weather) and he had a 4 stroke that seemed very smooth. That's probably in my future...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Ledsled,

I am seriously considering this plane with the Brillelli 46, so I am really interested in your flight report with that combo when you finally are blessed with some descent weather.

What servos did you finally end up using in this bird and if you get a chance, would like to see some pic's including engine/servo installs if your so inclined to do so.

Thanks Much,
Dhammer
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to get the plane in the air. I already started on another SU 31 from Cermark as the back up plane. This GP SU31 plane came out 2 pounds lighter than the Extra 330 that the 46 was on before I had radio problems. I spoke to Scott about it as well and he agreed way more power than is needed. But ofcourse that's the only way I fly. I did use Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servos on all of the control surfaces. They are rated at 106 OZ on 4.8 volts. I have 6 volts on the GP SU31, so I should see some where areound 133 oz on each of them. I did use one large servo on the rudder, but I don't recall which one and the plane is burried in the back of the shop. I think I followed the required total torque as specified in the manual. I have four new planes that are about ready to get in the air as soon as it warms up. I'l post some pictures when I get to the field. Here is my 60 size from Hobbico.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Ledsled,

WOW-with all the planes you have going your going to have a busy flying season. Will be waiting with great interest on your flight report and pics when you get the chance.

Hope all goes well and you won't need the Cemark to back it up anytime too soon.

Dhammer
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
flyman1948

Ledsled.....
How did your balance turn out..any weight needed? I plan on a 46 brillelli but would like to put the rudder servos in the tail. Will this create a heavy tail plane requiring nose weight?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
ledsled

I did move the rudder servo to the mid section of the plane to help balance. But once I tried to put a large spinner on the nose, it went to nose heavy. So I think I could have left it in the tail. I'm just going to run it with out a spinner for now.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
GO24GO

I just finished my SU31. Pics attached. I used the OS 1.60 engine with a Perry pump. Anondized blue Tru-Turn spinner with lightened backplate and Air Wild Hobbies pull pull kit for the rudder. Used canopy spray "smoke" for the canopy. I'm pretty excited to fly. I still have to do the ground run-in for the engine though and, our forecast here in IL isn't that hot until next week.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83519.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	925563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn87931.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	925564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye31620.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	925565  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Upnet
My Feedback: (8)

What did you use on the canopy?????? Who makes it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 AM
GO24GO

Testors is the mfg. It's called 'Racing Finish' window tint. Product# on the can is RC294. I put about 15 thin coats on. I wanted the canopy to be dark and on my first effort, I put too much on and it ran. I cleaned that up with a paper towel while it was still wet and then took my time and did just a bunch of thin coats. I didn't count, but I know it had to have been 15.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 AM
ledsled

Man, I love the canopy! I will keep the Tester''s product in mind.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
kranie

where did you get your Hyde soft mount for your gasser?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Just ordered mine, will do the pilot and spray/tint canopy thing. Except for the one-piece wing, this looks like it will be just dandy with a DL 50, stock exhaust. My GP Cap 232 with that setup is just outstanding full power almost can't be used.... I expect this will be similar.

Anyone done the DL 50 and 22" prop? Any issues with ground clearance with the 22" ???
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

Has anyone tried the Saito 36cc in this plane? I love my Saito's and this is one gorgeous plane. I would hope a perfect pairing.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I haven't been able to find a "flight report", so I'll share mine. My setup is a DL 50 (weighs less than the Fuji 43, provides LOTS more power), Hitec 5985's, JR 2.4 Ghz. Didn't weigh it, doesn't matter. One tail mounted rudder servo, and the flight characteristics are this Looks great, very nimble, but the stock CG is terrible. FAR too tail heavy. Pushing down elevator to land, with no flare at all, and tail wobbling bad during rolls, plus the belly pitch on knife edge confirmed it. And mine was balanced per instructions.

I've moved everything I can (my 2S A123 was already on top of the engine box), put the rudder servo at the forward "stock" location, went with pull pull.

We'll have to see if this fixes the issues. As it is, it is a sweet-flying airplane, and I think with the CG worked out the trim will get where it should be.

I'll check the CG before flying and report back. Tail heavy it wasn't quite as much fun as it should have been.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
flyman1948

Interesting how the balance works out. I built a GP 25% YAK last year and no way would it balance with servos in the tail. I'm just finishing up on my Suk with tail mounted servos and will check the balance tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.