Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM
HELI-MECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iflyfloats
HELI-MECH, sorry to hear about your engine failure, that was a beautiful looking job you did. in the last pictures you posted it looked like you where on approach, what is on the horizontal stabilizer? looks like something was
caught on the flying wire brace.
Thanks, it was beautiful, my first 1/4 scale plane. Crazy how heavy it hits you when it's...as my wife would say... Just a toy. It was my first flight on it, and the hours I put into it diminished within a minute and a half. The picture you saw were on Friday and the item on the tail was a camera. The same camera I had today. Here is the crash video.

https://vimeo.com/98872823
Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by Jb Stearman
Heli-Mech,
I'm really sorry to see that! I know how much time and work you have put into the build. But don't let it beat you. REBUILD her.
Here is one of my projects to give you some incentive.
Jim
thanks so much for the inspiration. I feel the need to rebuild this plane out of spite and sentimental value. I will be messaging you on some technical tips. Great job on your rebuild. When this plane is done it is gonna be just as good or better and I may not have the big twin on the nose. So much good talk on the engine yet I have had nothing but issues.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM
iflyfloats
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by HELI-MECH
Thanks, it was beautiful, my first 1/4 scale plane. Crazy how heavy it hits you when it's...as my wife would say... Just a toy. It was my first flight on it, and the hours I put into it diminished within a minute and a half. The picture you saw were on Friday and the item on the tail was a camera. The same camera I had today. Here is the crash video.

https://vimeo.com/98872823
Good video till the end, very sorry. is that one of the keychain cameras? I have a DLE 35RA on my Hangar 9 Super Cub and I had a lot of trouble at first, up until
this last week I've made more dead stick landings than powered ones, luckily I had a lot of altitude. On my maiden the motor quit very first landing was dead stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6xNzpFtSo ,

here is one from last night, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-5A_rojCmc

good luck on your rebuild
Old 06-22-2014, 06:46 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by iflyfloats
Good video till the end, very sorry. is that one of the keychain cameras? I have a DLE 35RA on my Hangar 9 Super Cub and I had a lot of trouble at first, up until
this last week I've made more dead stick landings than powered ones, luckily I had a lot of altitude. On my maiden the motor quit very first landing was dead stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6xNzpFtSo ,

here is one from last night, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-5A_rojCmc

good luck on your rebuild
Beuatiful and jealous. Next time I'll be taking some altitude and run it until I'm comfortable. I'm used to the reliability of electrics.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Jb Stearman
My Feedback: (8)

Heli-Mech,
Good attitude!! Post me anytime.
Should you stay with gas ;consider the G26ei. It is very reliable and very user friendly. At 2.5hp and a 16/8 Master Airscrew prop, my cub with a little bit of flap will do a short field takeoff and climb out at about 30 degrees. Just a little something to think about for the future.

Jim
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched the video and the first thing I noticed was the takeoff. It appears your ground roll was short and abrupt. Once airborne your flight was smooth and coordinated. Moments prior to the crash the plane appeared to be low and slow. The crash itself IMO was a combination of engine failure and flying on the edge of a stall.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM
HELI-MECH

You hit it on the nose, newbie to gas and i'm used to electric. This was my first take off with this plane, a club member flew it two days prior to test fly it and it was flawless. My take off was quick as I just wasnt smooth on the sticks for the first flight. The second error was 100% my fault as i was purposely doing a slow fly by for some pictures. Learned some expensive but important lessons in this flight. New engine, more altitude and fly quicker. I've ripped this video apart a hundred times, even the small time right after the engine quit i wish i had just nosed it forward and flew into the trees instead of trying to gently turn it into wind and back into the fielded area. Being used to electric you expect there to always be throttle there when you push that left stick up... gassers and nitros are different and always gotta remember that it may not be there when you need it. Truthfully it goes for electric as well because one day the ESC will not give me juice when i need it. Lots of learning.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:34 PM
HELI-MECH

Default Cub repair

Well... after the sting wore off, I finally got at the Cub repair. Got all the old broken parts out and will use them as templates to make new pieces after they are glued back together. I have repaired the cowl and repainted it, I will have to weld landing gear and one muffler as well. Hope to have a second maiden flight before fall. Hopefully a more successful one. I also hope there was no motor damage, it went in dead and the airframe gave away so hopefully all good. Spinner wasn't even dented.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2009826   Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2009827   Click image for larger version

Views:	112
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2009828  

Last edited by HELI-MECH; 06-29-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Jb Stearman

HELI-MECH
That's a good start. The breaks look pretty clean which is a plus for getting good templates. I noticed the filter on your gas line in the "parts" picture. Just as a suggestion: get rid of the filter and make that line one piece. Put a good filter in your supply can to filter gas before it even gets to the on board tank. The less restriction, the better off you are.
I went to the multi-club float fly Saturday with my Super Cub. What an awesome flying airplane!!!

Name:	IMG_4396.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2010015  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

HELI-MECH
That's a good start. The breaks look pretty clean which is a plus for getting good templates. I noticed the filter on your gas line in the "parts" picture. Just as a suggestion: get rid of the filter and make that line one piece. Put a good filter in your supply can to filter gas before it even gets to the on board tank. The less restriction, the better off you are.
I went to the multi-club float fly Saturday with my Super Cub. What an awesome flying airplane!!!
Good advice there JB. I quit using inline filters years ago. Filter
it at the jug is all you need.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
HELI-MECH

Thanks for the info. I will be surely ditching the inline filter. Ill throw that filter in my fill system. A few people have mentioned that now. Im also gonna run with rhe cowl off a few times to figure out my cooling issues.

JB awesome looking cub, I would have been on floats by now as well...
Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Jb Stearman

HELI-MECH
As a rule of thumb, the opening at the back of the cowl should be 2 to 3 times larger than at the front. This gives the cooler intake air plenty of opening to flow freely through and carry away the hot air. When engines heat up, they tend to do strange things!
Your cub will fly again.
Jim
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
HELI-MECH

HELI-MECH
As a rule of thumb, the opening at the back of the cowl should be 2 to 3 times larger than at the front. This gives the cooler intake air plenty of opening to flow freely through and carry away the hot air. When engines heat up, they tend to do strange things!
Your cub will fly again.
Jim
Will do, gonna play with some different cowl options. Baffles, no baffles, full cut outs in front, regular cut outs. It will fly again, for sure. Wish I could get a stock right wing as I have a hangar 9 left wing and that way I could scrap these scratch built wings and put the proper set on. I don't like em.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Horizon Hobbies has the wings in stock.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HAN4553

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hangar-9-Right-wing-w-aileron-25-J-3-Cub-HAN4553-/390562930211?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aef5d5e23

John M,
Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Jb Stearman

Also, the H-9 wings fit flush with the top of the cabin. No adjusting. The small anti-rotation pin lines up the wing panel.
Jim
Old 07-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Moderator,

This guy is posting his ad in several forums. Can you intervene?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has been reported but I am not sure how long it will take.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:24 PM
pilotdude57

What difference does it make?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Super08

HELI-MECH
Good suggestion. I have gone to a three line system years ago on all my tanks. I use a Walbro clunk filter in the tank on the line that feeds the carb. I don't like filters or T connections on the line from the tank to the engine. One it gives more places to fail and leak. Two it gives a place for dirt to enter the line when fuelling that can end up in the engines carb. This can lead to the micro screen inside the carb to become plugged. Most inline filters sold by hobby shops were designed for glow engines and the screens are too course to do much good for gas engines. The screen inside the carb is extremely fine. I hope he gets it back in the air before too long. It was a beauty.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM
dirtybirdy

I was thinking the exact same think
Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Jb Stearman

I have been following HELI-MECH on his super cub build from the beginning. Believe me, his cub WILL be back in the air!
JB
Old 07-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Super08

The Hanger 9 Cub has had my attention for some time now. One of these days I am going to pick one up.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM
HELI-MECH

I have been following HELI-MECH on his super cub build from the beginning. Believe me, his cub WILL be back in the air!
JB
not back in the air yet, but took some time off and spent it over in newfoundland for a few weeks, getting back at repairing the cub. I have glued all the parts together, made clean cuts to make the spices and starting making the new parts. I photo copied the parts, cut out the paper templates, checked them back to original "for photo copier error", and then glued them with my kids glue to the proper ply. After that i then spray painted over top then removed the paper ply to leave nice crisp lines to get the pieces ready to cut out. Will take some time but am confident things should work out.

Name:	20140725_110408.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2017288  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM
SkyPilot101

Look'in Good Heli-Mech ! Nice way to template things out
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by SkyPilot101
Look'in Good Heli-Mech ! Nice way to template things out
Worked out great, nice crisp lines. Just gotta cut them out nice now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.