Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 60 crash /Ordered Twist 150!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 60 crash /Ordered Twist 150!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist 60 crash /Ordered Twist 150!!!

Bad news, I crashed my Twist 60 because I went by the instructions and used S3004 standard servos with a 6V battery pack, big mistake, BIG. One aileron servo stripped and down she came after a very brief inverted flight that I made the mistake of pulling up instead of pushing down and bamm, nose first into the field. This was my first crash after over 250 flights and when it happened I could not believe the explosion of balsa. Then I went into shock and drove my rescue van out to the crash site. It wasn't a pretty site and I didn't have a camera along. It trashed the engine all the servos and it was stuck on full throttle when it hit. I was only flying about 1/4 throttle up to that point so maybe I got hit, but I doubt it. I am the only member with channel 56 and the other guy out there was on 42 and had just pulled up. The nose was buried all the way past the engine. The only things that survived were the Rx, battery pack, wheels, remote fueler switch, and the extensions. Anyway I ordered a Twist 150 today with a 1.50 Saito 4 stroke for it and high torque servos, 2 1/2" Tru Turn wide spinner and an 18x6W APC propeller. Darn I forgot to order foam. The receiver was still in the foam and without any appereance of damage. The spare servo I had worked on all the channels. Do you think I need to send it in or just range check it real good? Anybody have a Twist 150 with a Saito 1.50 in it? Or any other engine for that matter and would you be so kind as to tell me what you think of yours? Heres the whole nutshell in a barrel![:@]

Thanks,

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58803.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	741536  
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twist 60 crash /Ordered Twist 150!!!

Sorry to hear of such an awful crash. The RX may look OK, but if it were me, I would definately have it checked over before installing it in another plane.

Enjoy your new Twist.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
NCIS

Jim,

I knew I should but I want to fly right away. The season is almost over here in Wisconsin, maybe another 2 nice months at the most. I need another one for my TF Corsair I'm building because I actually stole it from it before even getting ready for it. I still have about 9 months mopre to go on it. I will buy another one to be on the safe side. I have a lot invested in the 150 and don't want to see it end up the same because of my stupidity. Thanks for saying so and now I feel better about shelling out the $100.00 for the RD138PCM 8 Channnel receiver.

It will give me piece of mind too,

Gibbs
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM
NCIS

Nobody,

I guess nobody on this forum has a Twist 150. I sure would like to here the pros and cons on this aircraft. How about it?

Gibbs

Name:	Us54749.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	742133  
Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Bodge

I have the 150 with an OS 120 ax fitted. Comes out spot on with the balance and no mods to the plane. The engine is quite powerful (on paper as strong as the Saito 180) and it's light - ready to fly the plane weighs 8lb 8ozs. It climbs hard on less than half throttle ( I don't know what it hovers on - I've never dared look at the stick while I'm trying to hover but it can't be much more than quarter throttle).

Prop - 17 x 6 at 8,800 on 16% fuel.

The plane does spectacular stationary flat spins and waterfalls. In all an entertaining combination...
Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
NCIS

Mick,

I have a Magnum 1.20 4-stroke on hand and from what I've heard until now it would be way under powered. I need to listen to people like you who are realistic and don't think they have to have enough engine to tear the wings off. Do you think the Magnum would do OK on the 150 or is it way to heavy? They are fat as you know. I already have the Saito 1.50 and an APC 18x6W prop coming so I guess I'll stick with it and put the 1.20 on my TF Corsair I'm building. I like to hear positive replies like yours that state the real facts. Everybody including the Hobby Shops are trying to push the Saito 1.80 with this plane. I too thought that was an overkill.

Thanks for the feedback,

Barry
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Bodge

Barry,

The OS 120 two stroke is a little lighter and makes a little more power than the four stroke, but I am certain the plane would go well on a Magnum 120 for stroke. You should be able to get the Twist below 9lb with that engine and that's not a lot of weight for a 120.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM
NCIS

Mick,

I misunderstood and thought you were using an OS 1.20 4 stroke. I'm going to put the Saito 1.50 4 stroke in mine since it will be here today anyway. I might as well. The wife blew her stack when I told her I ordered the Twist 150 with all the necessary equipment. She asked how much and when I told her she confiscated my credit card and said you now have enough planes. She also said that I don't even fly most of the planes I've built from kits to perfect scale. She wanted to know why I didn't fly my babies and I just stood there with my mouth open.[X(] I had nothing to say as a come back.

Barry
Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Bodge

Barry,

One thing wives never learn is that you cannot ever have enough planes. She does have a point though: Why don't you fly them?

One important point to remember with wives is that you divide everything by ten (i.e. Saito 150 costs $50; Twist 150 costs about the same). This works great until it's your birthday and she wants to know what you want...

I can't complain though - this year I got a Super Skybolt (at £250!)

Anyway, back to topic: your combination will be excellent and the plane will perform extremely well with that engine.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
kryptonite

Sorry to hear about the crash.

I maidened my Twist 60 with a Saito 125 last week. It has loads of stoopid power - never more than half throttle for anything.
I had to put tons of left aileron trim on the bird - sounds like way too much torque from the engine for such a small wingspan bird - unless there's a warped surface somewhere - but everything looks ruler straight. Is this normal? I'm running an APC 16x6 sport - and this thing will go vertical forever at just half throttle.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
NCIS

Mick,

Thanks, but she checks every charge on our cards to be sure they are ours. I can't pull that one on her. We own our own business and she is the accountant. She knows every penny I spend. We own Around Town Rentals and Sales. We buy and sell apartment buildings. Buy cheap fix small things, fill them up with good tenants and sell them for a large profit thats enough for the down payment on another one and put a bunch in the bank. Sales have been slow for the last year and a half and we have had to rely on rent to live. We make our real money buying and selling.

Barry
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 AM
boogermancan

imho get rid of the fm raido go with the 2.4 gig hz. i been looking at the 150 i have the 40 and the 60 i realy like them both but geting both into the cab of my turck is tuff getting the 150 in the cab would be humm well it might end up in the back i cant see driveing with it in the back. is out of the question with out some kinda of cover over it . i feel you pain in the crash i rember crashing my byp yack [sm=48_48.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
NCIS

One Flight To Many,

Now on the 3rd flight after my maiden I was trying to fly to late in the evening and to avoid the Sun Ball I changed my approach angle. This was a fatal mistake. I had never come in that way and it is close to the trees. Well to make a long story short I thought I had cleared all the trees and was settling in for a nice approach to land. When WAMB!!!!!~ Into the lone tree setting on the berm we have to clear to make the field. By the way I have just completed my second Twist 150 and am happy to report with the type of damage done to the plane I will repair it this winter and have two. Everything was salvagable so I was just out the cost of the ARF. Most of the damge was caused from the fall to the ground. I am going to maiden my new Twist 150 tomorrow and that will be after I say goodbye to that tree and all the other Boogers on that berm. Here are a few pic's of the damage.

Gibbs

Name:	Zw69423.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	753403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15452.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	753404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88891.jpg
Views:	12