Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Aviomodelli Calypso. Anybody flown one?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Aviomodelli Calypso. Anybody flown one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 07:41 AM
Flyby-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviomodelli Calypso. Anybody flown one?

Looks like a cool model. What`s it like to assemble and fly.
Thanx.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:28 PM
Flyby-RCU

Doesn`t look like Aviomodelli is a brand people know much about
Old 02-28-2002, 08:53 PM
djlyon

I've got a couple of aviomodellis and they are real good, but my calypso is a model tech
Old 02-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Flyby-RCU

What`s the modeltech Calypso like to fly??
Old 03-01-2002, 07:40 PM
djlyon

It's a fair pattern plane. It's lite and fast and has typical smooth pattern flight characteristics. It's probably not competitive in the advanced or expert classes of pattern, but it makes a good pattern trainer. It's a Hanno Pretner design. Mine weights 7lbs and I powered it with a OS91FX.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Jon Wold

Just bought the ModelTech Calypso.
Really looking forward to this one, I can't wait for the mailman!

The Aviomodelli version has a plastic fuselage, which they claim is very tough. And of course it's much rounder and prettier than a balsa fuse would be.

From the pictures I think the Modeltech version is the original, while Aviomodelli has continued to improve theirs, with new landing gear and a larger rudder. I think the current version is "Calypso MKIII".

Jon
Old 12-16-2002, 10:45 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Aviomodelli's Calypso is the original one designed by Mr.Pretner. However some redesigning has to take place in order to add retracts. It has been out there for 20 years+. I've owned five from Modeltech, it's my favorite model ever!

With slight modification, this model will fly FAI, and at the same time would be the best low-wing trainer out there. You can literally hover this airplane to the runway. My latest one was flown for 5 years and won me many trophies at the advanced pattern level.

It isn't necessary to spend $800 worth of fiberglass to get trophies, It's all in your hands and eyes.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:33 PM
pancake
My Feedback: (2)

Default Is the aviomodelli version still made?Need a fuselage

I've got a complete aviomodelli calypso minus the fuselage. Anybody know if they still make these kits. If not would the modeltech fuselage fit with modifications? Anyone got a fuse they want to part with?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:19 AM
RC-BOSS

Default aviomodelli capypso

The Aviomodelli Calypso mk III is available from Internet-RC Radio Control at www.internet-rc.com . You should ask them if they can get a fuselage for you.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 AM
frcac

Default Aviomodelli Calypso

Hello.

I've flown one, my friends had a few of them, but I've never owned one. Duraflex (ABS plastic) fuselage is not as good as it is advertised. It maybe works on gliders and motorgliders from Aviomodelli, but I would go away from it on a powered model. My old Tango literally fell apart after one and a half season on a .46 engine!

Otherwise it is Mr. Prettner design and it flies great. A little on the heavy side, so if you use .61 FX or something, expect to use a lot of throttle, because you'll need it. It has to be flown quite fast to do some aerobatics. Version MkI and MkII were bad, because the wing tube didn't have any support in the end and after a couple of flights it came loose at the ends so that the wings were wiggling up and down with no problem.

If you have all the parts for this model my advice is to build or buy a balsa fuselage, and enjoy this design. You can get a replacement fuselage here in europe with no problem, but it's quite expensive for what do you get.

Sašo
Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 AM
sarlacc
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Aviomodelli Calypso. Anybody flown one?

I have an original Model Tech Calypso Kits. I am asking $179 + $30 to ship it within the US. Email me at [email protected] if anyone is interested.