Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Removing Wrinkles In Covering

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Removing Wrinkles In Covering

Old 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
jvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Wrinkles In Covering

What is the ideal heat setting to remove wrinkles in covering. I have a coverite iron that is adjustable from 150 F to 375 F. The plane is a seagull yak and it is covered in ultracote. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
jvino

Default RE: Removing Wrinkles In Covering

Also, should I use the supplied sock or just the iron directly on the covering for shrinking??
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start the iron on a setting around 200. See if that works fast enough for you. Or actually to see if it works at all. The markings on irons isn't always dependable.

You'll probably notice that as you start at one end of a long wrinkle, other wrinkles will pop out as your iron moves along. If that happens, it's a really good idea to iron every bit of the surface. Even if it doesn't it's always a good idea to go over every part before you assemble it. Unassembled parts are easier to iron. And new airplanes benefit greatly from being ironed by a person who really cares about that airplane.

While you're at it, make sure to run the iron along all the overlaps everywhere. Do that first thing.

Socks are good. Not required however, but are soft for sure.

It's always worthwhile to wipe or clean off the surface before you iron, so the sock isn't a big deal. And if there is oil on the surface you'd better wipe it down for sure.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

above post is spot on.....

but I prefer to remove wrinkles with my heat gun v. the iron... just seems to work better for me
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
da Rock

UltraCote says that the 200degree settings are for triggering the adhesive and higher settings are for shrinking. You'll discover that some colors take more heat to shrink, some less. But start at the lower setting to make sure the seams are tight and the film is solidly stuck around open areas. Then pump the heat up to work the wrinkles at the speed you want to work.

It'll take more heat than other films, but actually doesn't usually need it. On the other hand, little crinkles that won't come out of other films will come out of UltraCote. Just edge the heat up until the crinkles go away. Back it down as you move on to the rest of the job.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
da Rock

Heat guns are good too, but take some understanding (experience?).

If you haven't ironed down the seams on lots of today's ARFs, a gun could shoot you in the foot. Where film overlaps, the top film can shrink right away if you hit it with the gun and nothing is pressing the film down. The top film gets hot first. But guns can cover lots of area.

And guns can change heat instantly. The distance the nozzle is from the film determines how hot the film gets. You can instantly get higher heat (without having to wait for the iron to get hotter) by moving the nozzle closer to the surface. Or get less heat by pulling back. Heck, you can also burn holes in the covering if you wanted to (or didn't want to) just by touching the film with the nozzle. But don't let the hot air hit a canopy. Some of them shrink just like covering film when hit with heat.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM
jvino

Thanks for the responses. I will start shrinking in a minute and let you know what happens.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 PM
jvino

It is working great. I have removed most of the wrinkles from the stabs, elevator halves, & rudder. They are nice and tight and look good. I found a great info sheet on ultracote on horizon's site. Here is a link:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ID=1115&Page=4
Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jvino,

Whatever you do don't let the iron get to hot. It will shrink the trim and you will have a mess. Iron any trim areas as cool as will work.

Gibbs
Old 08-25-2007, 12:24 PM
jvino

I have the iron at 300 right now and I am working very slowly. It is working great and I am not noticing any shifting or separating of colors. So far so good
Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Harc

Something I do that hasn't been mentioned is to wipe the heated area with a soft cloth. I have a sheeps wool mitt ?? that works great. This assists the material in adhering to the framework.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Start the iron on a setting around 200. See if that works fast enough for you. Or actually to see if it works at all. The markings on irons isn't always dependable.

You'll probably notice that as you start at one end of a long wrinkle, other wrinkles will pop out as your iron moves along. If that happens, it's a really good idea to iron every bit of the surface. Even if it doesn't it's always a good idea to go over every part before you assemble it. Unassembled parts are easier to iron. And new airplanes benefit greatly from being ironed by a person who really cares about that airplane.

While you're at it, make sure to run the iron along all the overlaps everywhere. Do that first thing.

Socks are good. Not required however, but are soft for sure.

It's always worthwhile to wipe or clean off the surface before you iron, so the sock isn't a big deal. And if there is oil on the surface you'd better wipe it down for sure.
excellent advice Rock............what about areas that have been pressed down into what i call voids or valleys?
any advice on how to get the covering back up to level surface?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

I have had some measure of luck with this problem by sticking a piece of aggressively sticky tape (like packing tape) onto the center of the depressed area to use as a pull handle, then going around the taped area with a heat gun. while pulling up on the tape. Once the area pops free, let it all cool off and then peel the tape off at a very shallow angle to the surface. You may stretch a deformed spot in the covering when doing this, but another swipe with the gun will fix it right up.

Rick
Old 08-25-2007, 02:51 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: ElectRick

I have had some measure of luck with this problem by sticking a piece of aggressively sticky tape (like packing tape) onto the center of the depressed area to use as a pull handle, then going around the taped area with a heat gun. while pulling up on the tape. Once the area pops free, let it all cool off and then peel the tape off at a very shallow angle to the surface. You may stretch a deformed spot in the covering when doing this, but another swipe with the gun will fix it right up.

Rick
thx Rick.......i just tried it......worked like a charm.