Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull L-4 Grasshopper flap?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull L-4 Grasshopper flap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:06 PM
flynpreacher
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull L-4 Grasshopper flap?

So I have ordered one of these, (from VQ ) but now as I look at the pics of the reviews and instructions online, I do not see flaps? But on one of the advertisements it says operational flaps and linkages included. Mine is supposed to be in by mid April, (I ordered just before March). Anyway, just wondered if anyone has one of these already and can tell me if this is a new addition, or ?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 08:05 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The full scale L-4 did not have flaps. Could be a misstatement in the info for the model or if the model does have flaps, then it is not scale correct. Let us know.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 AM
flynpreacher

Wow, I did not know that, that is good info. I want to keep it scale. So I wonder, did the full scale have like flaperons? or did it just not need them because of the design?
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My cousin flew back seat in one and said often they would come under mortar attack on landing. But it landed so slow he could be out of it and heading for cover right after touchdown while it was still rolling. He did lose a couple of planes, and pilots, though.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flynpreacher, "Flaperons" are a model airplane item only (and not advised by everyone). As rgburrill correctly stated it's such a slow landing plane they weren't built with them. Remember that a L-4 Grasshopper is the same airplane as a J-3 Cub but with green paint and extra windows. Now some J-3's (think Alaska bush flying) have been retrofitted with wings having flaps but they weren't built like that by Piper. Tower sells a yellow Phoenix J-3 Cub that has flaps, but of course it's not scale correct with them. If you are just fun flying the model I say "so what" either way, not a big deal. BTY most flyers think that all Super Cubs had flaps but that's not so, the base version Super Cub 95 did not come with flaps but the more common Super Cub 105 did. Either way, enjoy your Cub!

Last edited by 52larry52; 04-05-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:27 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am assembling one now. It has no flaps.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 PM
flynpreacher

Default thanks!!

Thank you all for the great replies and correct information. I will build mine as is, no flaps, I want to keep authentic as I can. Thanks again!