Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 vs Wm Supersports 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 vs Wm Supersports 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 AM
emeraude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 vs Wm Supersports 40

Having recently crashed my Wm Supersports 40 after hiting the only brick on the field on the landing roll , I got my self a Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 , wanted to get the supersports again but it was out of stock .Can anyone tell me about the aerobatic potential of this kit.Is it as aerobatic as the supersports.I plan on using Os 46 ax on it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 vs Wm Supersports 40

The Supersports appears to have an identical layout to the Calmato.

They should fly the same. If the Calmato seems to fly differently, check your CG and look for warps, because there isn't enough difference between the two that it would be anything else.

The 46AX pulls the Calmato great. 11.5x6 and 12x5 work really good on my 46/Calmato.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 PM
emeraude

The only difference i noticed between the two is the wingspan , 61.5 on the calmato compared to just 55 for ss40 .I guess calmato will be a bit docile .
I was using an 11x6 on the supersports then i shifted to MAS 10x8 .the difference was night n day ..10x8 made it fly like a rocket ,the takeoffs were shorter .Although sometimes the engine sounded like it was runing a bit lean a few clicks of the needle solved that problem.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
da Rock

The Calmato is really not docile. It may not be as frantic, or twitchy, or hard to keep on a line as the supersports, but it's not docile.

If you feel that it's not as quick to respond, simply give it more throw. I flew mine for the first 7-8 months with fairly slow ailerons. Decided I wanted faster roll performance than 1 per second and simply adjusted the servo-to-aileron rigging to get more throw and got quicker roll. It's still nice and steady. Flew a pattern schedule awhile back with it. And the pattern guy I had duplicated asked to fly it after I landed. He was impressed. I already knew.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
forestroke

I've flown both and I think that the SS is just a more fun plane to fly. It's ironic but those of you that have flown the SS tell me if I'm wrong. The SS is fast but nimble, it turns like it's on rails and lands like it's on autopilot. Still the SS is easier to fly than the Calmato. I love the Calmato for it's ease of assembly and its look but it flies like a trainer. The SS flies like a real low wing should. It's just got the right blend of everything.

That's my take.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
da Rock

One reason any airplane flies the way it does is whatever balance you happened to cause when building it. When two airplanes are almost identical in planform, size, weight, dihedral, surface sizes and deflections, everything, and ones flies like a trainer and the other is nimble and quick, then you need to look at the CG of the airplane you wish to make fly like the other.

The Calmato comes with a recommended CG location range that isn't exactly flexible. If you look at the picture below, notice the narrow blue line. That isn't the recommended CG location, it's the recommended RANGE. The light blue arrows show where the CG is for my airplane. Had I kept the CG in Kyosho's advised safe range, it would have flown like a trainer all it's life.

This is a kewl hobby. We have the ability to apply to try darn near anything we wish. And with CG's there is an excellent source of proven info about CGs just a click away on the internet. It uses the same formulas Boeing, Douglas, Lockheed, etc use to plan CG locations. It works as good for us as for them. You'd think the Chinese ARF mfg's would use it.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33361.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	756491  
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
emeraude

without a doubt , CG plays a major role in how a plane handles , but there are other factors as well like wingspan, type of airfoil etc, the model that i have is almost identical to the calmato with some variations probably in the wing joiner and horizontal stab assembly , but u cant go wrong with a lookalike ARF under 65$ .Cant wait to fly it . servo installation is all that is left .Here are the pics for my ss 40 ..man i miss it ... and the calmato sports .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29679.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	756596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10393.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	756597  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 AM
mub.kaz

calmato sport is really a nice plane.i have one like chinees and done test flight yesterday.superspotr40 is a fast plane.but quick responser.i have both of them.