Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flying a Funtana X 50 with an OS 55AX

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flying a Funtana X 50 with an OS 55AX

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flying a Funtana X 50 with an OS 55AX

Has anyone tried this combination using a 12x6 prop?

I've got a 55AX pulling a Cermark Javelin II around on a 12x6 and it hauls. A friend flies his with a OS 61, but I figure that even though the 55AX is smaller, it's newer technology and uses many of the same prop sizes as the .61

And, were there any issues on the build-up, especially when compared to the old Funtana 40?

Bob
Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM
ckrochmal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying a Funtana X 50 with an OS 55AX

im about to build one with a 55. this will be my first 3d plane.. but im going to fly pattern first.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM
N1EDM

Not that I'm a 3D or a Pattern guru, just a Novice, but the two (pattern and 3D) are totally different. The first thing that you notice is that the Pattern planes have a longer tail moment than the 3D planes do, and the pattern plane relies more on the wing while the 3D relies more on the engine.

Both are fun to fly - I'm not kicking down one or the other. My Cermark Javelin II has since bit the dust (not the plane's fault, but rather Dumb Thumbs). I have another (they're discontinued now) in the wings and am flying a AeroWorks Edge 540 with an OS 91 in it.

I'm holding the Javelin till next season - too much going on this year. I'm going to fly a lot with the Edge though,

What are you thinking about for a Pattern plane?

Bob
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Has anyone tried this combination using a 12x6 prop?

I've got a 55AX pulling a Cermark Javelin II around on a 12x6 and it hauls. A friend flies his with a OS 61, but I figure that even though the 55AX is smaller, it's newer technology and uses many of the same prop sizes as the .61

And, were there any issues on the build-up, especially when compared to the old Funtana 40?

Bob
I'd go for a wider lower pitch prop with that combination.

The plane will seem to crawl accross the sky, but it should do 3D just fine.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
flygilmore

If you are wanting to 3D....deff. need another prop! Try a Xoar or APC 13x4....also use an OS F plug!!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
albsurfer

Not that I'm a 3D or a Pattern guru, just a Novice, but the two (pattern and 3D) are totally different. The first thing that you notice is that the Pattern planes have a longer tail moment than the 3D planes do, and the pattern plane relies more on the wing while the 3D relies more on the engine.

Both are fun to fly - I'm not kicking down one or the other. My Cermark Javelin II has since bit the dust (not the plane's fault, but rather Dumb Thumbs). I have another (they're discontinued now) in the wings and am flying a AeroWorks Edge 540 with an OS 91 in it.

I'm holding the Javelin till next season - too much going on this year. I'm going to fly a lot with the Edge though,

Bob
N1EDM I have this plane with a .55AX in it and I'm using an APC 13x4. the XOAR is a better prop, but I wanted to make sure this size was a good fit before I paid $9 for a XOAR. I can climb and pull out of a hover with it. On mild wind days I can also do a knife-edge loop. But the wind can't be over 5mph.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: albsurfer

Bob
N1EDM I have this plane with a .55AX in it and I'm using an APC 13x4. the XOAR is a better prop, but I wanted to make sure this size was a good fit before I paid $9 for a XOAR. I can climb and pull out of a hover with it. On mild wind days I can also do a knife-edge loop. But the wind can't be over 5mph.

Why not just buy a helicopter???????
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
N1EDM

Albsurfer, that sounds like a great combination. The 12x6 worked great on my pattern plane but you're right, a 13x4 would be perfect for the Funtana. I wish I had my old Funtana 40 back, but I sold it and she's had a good life ever since. I can't justify another plane right now....

Bob