Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Calmato 60 or Skylark 70

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Calmato 60 or Skylark 70

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Sherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calmato 60 or Skylark 70

I am now flying a Kaos, senior falcon and a revolver, all 3 powered by TT46 Pro. I've decided I want a 60 size sport plane (not 3D) and have looked at the Calmato 60 and the Skylark 70 (I have several 60 engines, including an OS and a Webra). There is about a $60 difference in price between these two, although that would not necessarily be the deciding factor. Maybe should also consider the Tiger 60 (Calmato looks like it), or some other sport plane. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
KCJarman

Default RE: Calmato 60 or Skylark 70

My vote is for the Skylark 70..... I love the Carl Goldberg Stuff... If you can get past the cost.... It was a proven performer 30 years ago..... and it tracks like it's on rails..... If your just into sport flying then either would be a great choice.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sherman

I am now flying a Kaos, senior falcon and a revolver, all 3 powered by TT46 Pro. I've decided I want a 60 size sport plane (not 3D) and have looked at the Calmato 60 and the Skylark 70 (I have several 60 engines, including an OS and a Webra). There is about a $60 difference in price between these two, although that would not necessarily be the deciding factor. Maybe should also consider the Tiger 60 (Calmato looks like it), or some other sport plane. Any thoughts?

I've flown a Calmato Sport 40 for over a year and it's an excellent everyday flyer. I had a Tiger2 when I got the Calmato and basically put it on the shelf. The Calmato flew slightly better due to being a half pound lighter. And just happened to be quite a bit cheaper. And was quite a bit more ARF than the Tiger2 had been. The Calmatos come with the surfaces in place and hinged already for example.

I've now got a Tiger 60 and fly it every day (almost). I've not flown a Skylark 70 to have any idea how it'd compare. And only lusted after the Calmato60, so don't know how it'd compare either. But my money would be on the Calmato60 being a very good choice. But from the looks, there should be nothing about the Skylark or Tiger60 or Calmato60 to set any one of them apart from the others as far as design goes. They're pretty much all the same airplane. Any difference is going to be a flip of the coin for you. It's going to be which one just happens to be lighter. And no way to predict that.

Flip a coin.

Or pick whichever looks better to you.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

My two sense is i have the Skylark 40 with a ST GS 40 and it is my top plane.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

The Calmatos are designed very similar to the Goldberg SkyTigers which were purpose built to be aerobatic pattern trainers. As such the Calmatos are much more suited to aerobatics than the vintage Skylark ever was.

Remember, the Skylark was designed back in the sixties. They fly well, but the Calmato is a much newer design.

Mike
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 AM
rjp

I just purchased the GB Skylark 70. I haven't started assembly yet, but I'm very impressed with the quality of the covering. Not a single wrinkle! GB get’s an ”+A” for quality. I also considered the price difference of the kit with other comparable models. Guess you get what you pay for.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I've flown a Calmato Sport 40 for over a year and it's an excellent everyday flyer. I had a Tiger2 when I got the Calmato and basically put it on the shelf. The Calmato flew slightly better due to being a half pound lighter. And just happened to be quite a bit cheaper. And was quite a bit more ARF than the Tiger2 had been. The Calmatos come with the surfaces in place and hinged already for example.
Rock,
Where did you buy yours? Looking for a gift for my son.